ADVERTISEMENT

GAMES OF INTEREST (12.29.23 - 1.3.24) SOUTHWESTERN OKLAHOMA STATE

Rice is really bad and someone from there thought wearing practice jerseys was a good idea for a game.
They also can’t play home games right now because their arena is falling apart. It’s not a serious program.

I never attended a game at the Convention Center so the DonRey is the only home I've ever known for TU basketball. First time I ever stepped foot in the building was actually not a game but the watch party for the elite eight matchup against UNC. I think that left a bigger impression on me than I tend to give it credit for.
I’m almost the complete opposite. I moved west January 1, 1998 and the arena opened that fall. I was a season ticket holder at the CC but have only been able to attend a couple of games at the Reynolds Center. My favorite game downtown was actually a loss. The noise level and game atmosphere during the OT loss to the Nolan lead hogs the year they won the title was the most amazing I’ve ever experienced at a live sporting event. I had my teenage son with me and I don’t think we sat down during the OT.

Reactions: loca2874
They also can’t play home games right now because their arena is falling apart. It’s not a serious program.
The Rice Cafetornasium is falling apart? I remember going to a game there in January of 1999, driving down from Waco to watch TU play. Walked up, bought a ticket smack dab in the middle of the Rice donor section. Ruffin slammed a ball at one point and I jumped up and cheered and this old guy turns to me and says "Why don't you go sit with your people?" To which I responded "I would except this is where your ticket office sold me a ticket." He then gets up and says "Well, I'm gonna go and give them a piece of my mind about this."
I just laughed.

Reactions: ctt8410
I’m almost the complete opposite. I moved west January 1, 1998 and the arena opened that fall. I was a season ticket holder at the CC but have only been able to attend a couple of games at the Reynolds Center. My favorite game downtown was actually a loss. The noise level and game atmosphere during the OT loss to the Nolan lead hogs the year they won the title was the most amazing I’ve ever experienced at a live sporting event. I had my teenage son with me and I don’t think we sat down during the OT.
A lot of my family from Arkansas were here for Christmas and I took them but they couldn't wear red. Since you are Nevada, I wish you could have been at the Nevada/TU Championship WAC game in 2003. It still remains the loudest I have ever heard in 40 years at a TU game. The tickets were superpriced and only the superfans attended so it wasn't full but every seat in the lower 5/6 th was filled with screaming fans for 40 minutes.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I was hoarse from that game from screaming so loud. ESPN went to that game because of how close it was. That was so long ago and I still get chills thinking about that game.

I was hoarse from that game from screaming so loud. ESPN went to that game because of how close it was. That was so long ago and I still get chills thinking about that game.
I was there for that one too. It was loud. I think it was 2 yrs earlier when we hosted and Buzz lost to Hawaii in the championship game. You could hear fans except they were like a lynch mob and they wanted Buzz' head on a platter.

He’s talking about the Arkansas game when Tubby was coaching.

A lot of my family from Arkansas were here for Christmas and I took them but they couldn't wear red. Since you are Nevada, I wish you could have been at the Nevada/TU Championship WAC game in 2003. It still remains the loudest I have ever heard in 40 years at a TU game. The tickets were superpriced and only the superfans attended so it wasn't full but every seat in the lower 5/6 th was filled with screaming fans for 40 minutes.
Man! It was SOOOO loud in there I couldn’t believe it! Especially after all the sellouts we had had at that point.
Definitely the loudest crowd I’ve ever heard there!

Reactions: loca2874
Don’t get me wrong I do like the Don Rey even though I have seen exactly 3 games there but the convention center was banging when we had a crowd

Sorry, off topic, but the Reyn Cen, DonRey, etc. turned 25 this week. I got my seat in "98. It is likely the conference, our intense rivalries, coaching characters and great players that made me love games at the Convention Center more. But the DonRey was/is always nicer.
My first game at Reynolds will be the Tulane game assuming I’m not frozen solid that weekend.

Trust me. It didn't compare to the rocking Don Rey. Not even close.
I agree. I went to some big games in the Convention Center but that place seemed to swallow sound. The aforementioned Utah game, a weird 11am tip for a game vs Temple, a game against Southern Illinois when they were really good, and the first time Fresno (w/ Tark and Chris Herren) came to town. That place was rocking. Nothing like the 2000 game vs Fresno in the DonRey, the Swanson 3 to beat Fresno, the game vs Kansas, heck even the watch party for the Elite 8 game...that place was freaking loud as hell you couldn't hear the person next to you if they were trying to tell you something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT