ADVERTISEMENT

Skipper or President

I think Skipper gets the start now in Stillwater. His pass is just far more reliable then President I'm after watching yesterdays video

Fwiw I think Skipper is probably playing better if they're saying the race is neck and neck. Takes a lot for the less experienced guy to win the job. But how can you tell anything from cherry picked highlights?

Fwiw I think Skipper is probably playing better if they're saying the race is neck and neck. Takes a lot for the less experienced guy to win the job. But how can you tell anything from cherry picked highlights?
You can't, haha all we can do is guess

Take it with a grain of salt as my info is third hand but I've heard the O line and running game have looked fantastic leading up to season. Downright dominate at times. On the down side, I've heard there continues to be real concern with the passing game. Neither of the QBs and a number of the less experienced receivers have yet to show the consistency necessary for an effective passing game. Meshing inexperience receivers with inexperienced QBs has proved problematic at times.

Take it with a grain of salt as my info is third hand but I've heard the O line and running game have looked fantastic leading up to season. Downright dominate at times. On the down side, I've heard there continues to be real concern with the passing game. Neither of the QBs and a number of the less experienced receivers have yet to show the consistency necessary for an effective passing game. Meshing inexperience receivers with inexperienced QBs has proved problematic at times.
This seems like what we're all hearing coming out of fall camp.

I'm really surprised that none of the true freshman wideouts have stepped up I was high on a lot of those guys. Monty has never had a problem finding guys for his QB's to throw to, dating back to his UH days. This seems like quite an outlier for his typical offense.

If I had my 'druthers, I would probably go with Skipper. If nothing else, he'll have more time to grow into the position over the next 4 years than President will.

This is what I've heard. Our running game and flat out dominate. We have 2 really good receivers in Hobbs and Johnson . The others are average. We can still be very successful with that formula. It will all come down to if the QB can take what he is given .

Also , iv heard that this will be the best TU defense in the last 5 years. We are different this year at where the play makers are, doesn't mean we are worse, we will see how well we stack up in 7 days

Mustain's mom could try to take Mrs. LEC'S spot but she would not be successful.

Don't be talkin' bad 'bout Miss Jenkins!

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Mustain's mom could try to take Mrs. LEC'S spot but she would not be successful.

Don't be talkin' bad 'bout Miss Jenkins!
That documentary about him on Amazon Prime is so frustrating. You still can't tell if he was hella good or overrated all along. And he could care less either way. Makes you wonder how his life would have turned if he stuck close to Gus.

I'm hoping it's President. Greg Ward Jr. wasn't such a great passer as he was a scrambler and crazy athletic, and look how dangerous Houston was to defend against. We only saw President in a few snaps from the wildcat formation last year where he got a chance to run it, and every team knew to expect the run. If he's lined up behind center in a conventional formation, he'll keep defenses honest and preoccupied with containment, which will make him much more dynamic than a pure pocket passer. Dane started becoming more dangerous when he'd run it up the middle on a draw play every now and then last year. His scrambling won us 2 OT games last year, and kept that comeback drive alive against Fresno State with his shovel pass after scrambling in the backfield and flipping it upfield. I've never even heard of "Skipper" before aside from Gilligan's Island...

Grad07 wasn't paying attention in class. I so hope we go with his pick, seeing as how he is such a good evaluator of QB's.

I'm hoping it's President. Greg Ward Jr. wasn't such a great passer as he was a scrambler and crazy athletic, and look how dangerous Houston was to defend against. We only saw President in a few snaps from the wildcat formation last year where he got a chance to run it, and every team knew to expect the run. If he's lined up behind center in a conventional formation, he'll keep defenses honest and preoccupied with containment, which will make him much more dynamic than a pure pocket passer. Dane started becoming more dangerous when he'd run it up the middle on a draw play every now and then last year. His scrambling won us 2 OT games last year, and kept that comeback drive alive against Fresno State with his shovel pass after scrambling in the backfield and flipping it upfield. I've never even heard of "Skipper" before aside from Gilligan's Island...
I see what you mean, but I have HEARD Skipper can scramble pretty well himself, plus has a better arm. If that's the case, you always want to be a threat to pass .

I think Skipper is the kind of kid that could really benefit from a line that would hold their blocks more often. When he was protected he looked like he could really sling the ball. He was good when protection broke down too. But you don't want your QB running for his life like that all the time.

I think Skipper is the kind of kid that could really benefit from a line that would hold their blocks more often. When he was protected he looked like he could really sling the ball. He was good when protection broke down too. But you don't want your QB running for his life like that all the time.
Unless your quarterback's last name is Ward.

It worked up until Ward got hurt and had to miss a game or two which is what always happens.
Yeah combat duty is hell on a QB, but Ward always seemed to break his biggest plays when everything broke down. Or at least that's the way it seemed to opposing fans who saw him almost go down right before he got 20 or 30 yards out of it.

Yeah combat duty is hell on a QB, but Ward always seemed to break his biggest plays when everything broke down. Or at least that's the way it seemed to opposing fans who saw him almost go down right before he got 20 or 30 yards out of it.
This is true. Glad we don't have to see him anymore. Hoping their current QB's are overrated. But that seems a little unlikely.

So hard to peg a guy based on his HS videos. You can tell some thing, like throwing accuracy and overall athleticism, but other things just don't translate. For instance, I have no idea if the guys he was outmaneuvering or escaping simply weren't very athletic. I can't tell if the DBs he was passing over just lacked closing speed to pick off some of those passes. I can't tell if he always makes good decisions, or if a highlight reel doesn't include failures . :)

Not ragging on the Skipper, I've heard great things and like what I've seen. It's just hard to tell. I have to trust that the coaches have seen more than I (we) have. Then again, our fan base has been so spoiled the last 10 years that we have a large segment that whines about any QB even when they are breaking records and winning 10 games.

All that said, when a coach holds off on naming a starter, it seems to go against the upperclassmen more often than not.

From my limited scrimmage/spring game viewing & comments from others who've seen a lot more, I think Skipper is the better long term QB prospect.

However, I would not be surprised at all to see President start in Stillwater. He has already taken some real D1 snaps, & he was recruited by a few Big XII schools. He may be more relaxed for this first big game environment.

We will most likely see both play at some point Thursday night.

My prediction: President starts in Stillwater but they both play quite a bit in the game.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Best line I heard today: "Yeah, I bet OSU's backup quarterback plays, too."

I don't care who you are. That's funny.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT