ADVERTISEMENT

TU On Pro Rosters

loca2874

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2008
Stafford, VA
With the NFL draft starting Thursday and I can guarnatee no one from TU will be going in the first round. I wanted to see who was on a Roster.

Here is what we got

Canadian Football League

NamePositionTeamLeague
Tyon DavisDBBC LionsCFL
Isaiah EppsWRCalgary StampedersCFL
Travon FullerDBWinnipeg Blue BombersCFL
Josh JohnsonWRWinnipeg Blue BombersCFL
JuanCarlos SantanaWRHamilton TigercatsCFL

National Football League

NamePositionTeamLeague
Zaven CollinsOLBArizona CardinalsNFL
Tyler SmithOTDallas CowboysNFL
Chris PaulGWashington CommandersNFL
Deneric PrinceRBKansas City ChiefsNFL
Trevis GipsonLBJacksonville JaguarsNFL

Kendarin Ray and Darrell Simpson are listed in the top Rookie FA signings available but still havent made a roster yet. Still early.

Now We just need to get Ray on a roster
Every player who makes it onto a pro roster is another juror voting Montgomery guilty of just being a bad coach. He wasted the teams we could have had. I think we're getting near or have surpassed 12 votes so far. His NFL signings each year comes really close to equaling or exceeding most coaches who have coached for us. Am I wrong, and I'm forgetting past signings by other coaches?

Last edited:
Every player who makes it onto a pro roster is another juror voting Montgomery guilty of just being a bad coach, who wasted the teams we could have had. I think we're getting near or have surpassed 12 votes so far. His NFL signings each year comes really close to equaling or exceeding most coaches who have coached for us. Am I wrong, and I'm forgetting past signings by other coaches?
Monty and his staff did an outstanding job identifying and developing NFL talent. Had he not taken on too much in terms of game coaching and had an OC, I think he could’ve been highly successful here!

Monty and his staff did an outstanding job identifying and developing NFL talent. Had he not taken on too much in terms of game coaching and had an OC, I think he could’ve been highly successful here!
From a program standpoint, neither side of the arrangement was willing to do what needed to be done to make both sides successful. From a football and recruiting standpoint, I don’t think his core beliefs matched the TU identity and he was doomed to failure from the start. Once on the field, he was a poor in game coach. TU lacked the resources to give him the army of assistants and analysts to help him (and take the blame when his own indecision failed us all). I’m glad some of his guys got degrees. I’m glad they had the drive to succeed and we gave them the strength program to fulfill their potential. In the end, we need to learn from our short comings during this era.

From a program standpoint, neither side of the arrangement was willing to do what needed to be done to make both sides successful. From a football and recruiting standpoint, I don’t think his core beliefs matched the TU identity and he was doomed to failure from the start.
Yea, he let a lot of things slide and the culture fit wasn’t great. How much of that would’ve been overlooked if he was a consistent 8-10 win guy though?

Well, I don’t think Cannon would have gotten drunk in the suites with a sorority girl after he graduated, but yeah. The more valuable the asset, the more risk you absorb. You can get away with more if you are coming off a 10 win season going into a contract year.

One thing is for sure: I am saying novenas that the new AD studies that era carefully, fully grasps our lost opportunities, and has the experience and skill to get us going in the direction we need to go, regardless of the labor situation.

Right now I’m more worried about the defensive backfield than I am whether we let down a few guys that could have gone pro and didn’t.

Every player who makes it onto a pro roster is another juror voting Montgomery guilty of just being a bad coach, who wasted the teams we could have had. I think we're getting near or have surpassed 12 votes so far. His NFL signings each year comes really close to equaling or exceeding most coaches who have coached for us. Am I wrong, and I'm forgetting past signings by other coaches?
I remember the old days of Cooper, F.A. Dry, and before where Tulsa had a lot of guys drafted and signed as free agents. A lot of guys on NFL rosters. In Cooper's last year in 1984, he had 5 future regular season NFL players on his roster on the defensive line alone, and a 6th was drafted. TU had 8 players drafted in the 1976 NFL draft. Largent was the 5th TU player selected. I'm laughing thinking about 4 TU players in one draft being drafted ahead of Largent. Amazing when you think about it.

Of course, back then, Tulsa's stadium was almost the equivalent in size to OSU and Ark. Tulsa could compete with those programs back then. Different era today, unfortunately.

Yea, he let a lot of things slide and the culture fit wasn’t great. How much of that would’ve been overlooked if he was a consistent 8-10 win guy though?
Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall, to see what BS he put out in interviews. Would like to know what he said to pull the wool over their eyes. I have zero faith in Gragg catching anything that is awry, but Upham should have been aware something was not right. This aw shucks persona should not have fooled Upham, especially considering where he came from. We never should have given him a second interview. Upham gave Gragg more faith than he should have?

I remember the old days of Cooper, F.A. Dry, and before where Tulsa had a lot of guys drafted and signed as free agents. A lot of guys on NFL rosters. In Cooper's last year in 1984, he had 5 future regular season NFL players on his roster on the defensive line alone, and a 6th was drafted. TU had 8 players drafted in the 1976 NFL draft. Largent was the 5th TU player selected. I'm laughing thinking about 4 TU players in one draft being drafted ahead of Largent. Amazing when you think about it.

Of course, back then, Tulsa's stadium was almost the equivalent in size to OSU and Ark. Tulsa could compete with those programs back then. Different era today, unfortunately.
Yeah, in my head, I was comparing him to Cooper, early Rader, and Graham. Dry was before my personal attachment to TU as a fan. I was 7 turning 8 years old during the transition from Dry to Cooper. I probably started paying attention in '79.

Reactions: Larry Lewis

No. It was a choice made knowingly, regardless of market conditions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT