ADVERTISEMENT

⚾ KC Royals Royals winning more championships

And they should be another half game up if not for the !@##$%^&*$#Q%$ blown save over the weekend.

lol at Greinke. The fact that his catcher didn't help him out much tells me Zack's already endeared himself with his teammates.

The Boy's in Blue are still hanging out in first place in the AL Central. Tough match-ups vs Detroit this week, but should win some against Cleveland this weekend.

Huge win today vs Verlander and the Tigers. Gordon with the long grand slam in the 10th keeps the Royals in 1st place. Moose's horrid game yesterday killed the sweep opportunity.

Now need to take 3 of 4 from the Indians and finish April with a winning percentage over .600 and gear up for the toughest May schedule in MLB.

Nice win today against the Tigers ace.

Moose did the best we could expect with the way he has been struggling at the plate, in the 10th inning.... he walked.

"Will this talk ever die? Baseball is a dying sport and thank god."--Goldfan83

The Boys are off to a good start, 17-10.

Another nice win today. Butler down to his last strike with two outs in the ninth delivers a double to drive in two and send the game to extra innings. Gordon wins it in the 10th driving in the winning run.

11 of our 17 wins are come from behind wins. It's early in the season, but that's good stuff.

The rainouts have been the only thing to bitch about lately. One inning from a three-game sweep of Tampa last week before the game was called in the fourth. But I'll take 17-10 fo sho!

As a longtime, diehard Royals fan I am incredibly disheartened and discouraged. I thought this might finally be the year. But now, once again, we are under .500 and five games out of first place. The new and improved Royals were able to delay their annual tailspin for a month, but that was it.

The bullpen, which was supposed to be a strength, is a liability, failing repeatedly to protect late-inning leads.

The young position players, with the exception of Gordon and maybe Cain, are not as advertised. Butler is the reincarnation of Mike Sweeney, a decent hitter who produces little offense. Hosmer and Moustakas appear to be career hitters in the .230 to .250 range at best, with only warning track power. Perez is going to make a great catcher for the Yankees or Dodgers some day, if Yost doesn't wear him out first. It's anybody's guess why Francour is still playing in the big leagues.

I had such high hopes for the Royals this year but they're just the same old Royals, doing whatever it takes to lose night after night. All this despite what has been excellent starting pitching.

This post was edited on 5/28 3:00 PM by old.guy

Yeah, the last two weeks have certainly been a big disappointment. Losing those tight ones at Oakland have sent us into a tailspin that I don't think we're capable of changing. I really thought and HOPED that Yost would be fired over the weekend. The front office has to send a message to the fanbase that this will not be tolerated and firing Yost is the best way to do it at this point.

After the walk of win this afternoon, we take two out of three against the first place Tigers and seven out of the last eight.

Pitching has been pretty darn good with the lowest AL ERA at 3.49. The last time we finished with an ERA below 3.50 for a season was the 1985 season when we won the I 70 World Series.

Maybe we can get the offense going and if the pitching continues to perform at the current level, September will be interesting.

Moose needs to be sent down a month ago, Hosmer is looking much different since Brett and Billy's Hit a Ton sauce made their way to the dugout.

Trading for a legit second basemen, plus Paulino and Duffy coming back could set up a nice run after the all star break. Need to take 2 of 4 in Tampa and we have a pretty good shot at being over .500 at the All Star Break.

After winning the first two in Tampa, we need to get get one of the remaining two and get three out of four at Tampa Bay.

Our pitching is really good right now. We set a franchise record Thursday in the 10-1 victory by holding an opponent to three or fewer runs for a 12th straight game. The last AL team to go longer than 12 in a row was the 91 Blue Jays. Friday nights 7-2 win grew the streak to 13 straight.

Great series, now 2/3 in Cleveland to get back to .500. Maybe Baltimore can take 2/3 from the Tigers.

Gordon and Perez, well deserved All Star selections.

I thought Holland would make the team. His recent stats:
* 13 saves in his last 13 save opportunities
* In his last 21 innings he has 37 strikeouts, 4 walks, 0.86 ERA, opponents have a .101 batting average

Dang we've won 14 out of 16 and lost half a game to the division leading Tigers. Detroit seems to be the best team in MLB since the All Star break.

Nice win against Boston last night. Chen is amazing at times, he is 5-0.

Got a few teams to get over for the wild card game.

Unless we can get on another 9-game winning streak, I'd say the wild card is pretty much out of the question. With Tampa and Boston sitting atop the East and the other wild card going to the Texas/Oakland loser.

Injuries to Cain, Moose, and Tejada's suspension caused us to pick up some loser from Minnesota named Mike Carroll, who shouldn't even be in the bigs. He hit leadoff last night, which I thought was a fairly idiotic maneuver by Yost.

Looks pretty bleak after another terrible loss to the White Sox.

Before the last two days, my goal was to still catch the Indians and finish in second outright. Now, I just wanna finish over .500. At least we were in the wild card conversation for a week.

I didn't think we'd rebound like we have after that losing streak. But here we are, 3 games out of the wild card with an absolutely critical game tonight and Shields on the mound. Anything's possible at this point. Just think, if Yost wasn't our manager, we're probably leading the wild card chase right now.

After the win yesterday, two games out of the wildcard.

Yesterday was the 44th game in 44 days, we were 26 and 18.

Our pitching has been really strong. Hochevar is pitiching like a mad man.

One good thing Yoco Yost did, he set the rotation up to where if we get to the playoff game, Shields will be the starter. Duffy is being skipped a start.

I noticed that Duffy was gonna get skipped, but didn't know why. So that's good to know. Might be the only smart thing he's done. But nah, it's Yost. Some espn.com writer said that the ninth inning in Game 1 of the Cleveland series the other day was possibly the worst managed inning the big leagues this year, lol

Why yost pinch hit Pena for Dyson in the ninth inning Monday night was goofy. Pena was a statue at the plate and struck out.

9780426741_54ccec480d_o.gif

This post was edited on 9/17 10:47 AM by voetvoet

Overall quite of bit of improvement from 2012. We win 14 more games in 2013 than 2012. Won 72 games in 2012 and 86 in 2013.

I read we had the best record in the American League after the All Star break. Our record in May and right before the All Star break was terrible.

Next year we need to get to 95 wins to have a chance on winning the division, maybe 90 wins will be enough to get to the Wild Card.

I will be surprised if we are able to resign Santana.

Yost was given a new two year contract today. He better get us in the playoffs next year.

Hosmer, Gordon, and Perez win a gold glove.

Rumors that the Royals are listening to trade offers to Butler. He has been the second best DH to Ortiz (how fun has he been to watch this post season?) over the last 5 years and is very affordable. I think it would be a mistake to move him, but it doesn't hurt to listen.

Santana is hinting on Twitter that he might resign in KC, it sounds like he might take a little less to stay. Royals will likely make a qualifying offer for one year to get a late 1st round draft choice if he leaves. The market dictates that he will likely make much more and get a 3-4 year deal so I don't see it happening. There are several options in FA that look almost as appealing, need to sign somebody who can have a bounceback playing in front of a great defense in a tough ball park to hit home runs. Phil Hughes, Kazmir, and Josh Johnson all look like viable candidates. Need to keep Davis in the pen, maybe trade Hocheavar for a 2b bat/RF.

Personally I'd like to see a SP with #2 upside, new 2b, and platoon Maxwell and Lough in RF. There should be cap room to do that. The Angels would likely trade Kendrick (who could play third if Moose continues to struggle) for a young pitcher (Duffy or Ventura).

Rotation:
Shields
FA
Guthrie
two of Duffy, Paulino, Ventura

With Kyle Zimmer coming up in July (probably should hold Ventura in the Minors until July as well) and Chen/Will Smith as fillers in case of injury.

Would love to keep Santana but I don't see it happening either. He'll get some nice offers I don't think he can refuse. Would absolutely love to see Josh Johnson if Santana leaves.

I was talking to MU a while back and I've been saying it for a while ... if we had a 2B who we just had a little faith in at the plate, an Ian Kinsler-type guy, I think it would open up the offense a little bit. Whereever that day's 2B was in the line-up, it was basically an out the entire season. Kinda like Bishop Wheatley on the offensive end, lol

The lineup will hopefully look like:

Gordon
new 2B
Hos
Butler
Perez
Cain
Lough/Maxwell
Moose
Escobar

This story is somewhat long, but I found it interesting.

By Aaron Steen [October 26, 2013 at 6:42pm CST]

The Royals came close to a playoff berth for the first time in decades in 2013, but major questions surround their rotation heading into the offseason.

Guaranteed Contracts

Noel Arguelles, SP: $1.38MM through 2014
Arbitration Eligible Players

Brett Hayes, C (3.018): $900K
Contract Options

James Shields, SP: $13.5MM ($1MM buyout)
Free Agents

Miguel Tejada
General Manager Dayton Moore's rebuild of the Royals' organization finally bore fruit at the Major League level in 2013, as products of the farm system and trades helped propel the team to its first winning campaign since 2003. No longer the American League Central's perennial doormat, the Royals remained in the hunt for a wild card spot until the final weeks of the season, a significant step forward for a club that hasn't been considered a legitimate contender in at least 20 years. The accomplishment netted manager Ned Yost a two-year contract extension, and something similar could be in the pipeline for Moore. His current deal runs through 2014, and it's not often that a manager's contract extends beyond that of the GM who hired him.

Following an 86-win season, conventional wisdom might suggest that Royals officials simply need to make a few tweaks to push the club into contention in the AL Central. And indeed, with players considered to be franchise cornerstones at several positions across the diamond, the Royals are unlikely to see a large-scale makeover this winter on the offensive side of the ball. Young players such as first baseman Billy Butler, other franchise fixtures, are coming off of down seasons but have time left on long-term extensions.

The Royals' bullpen is also unlikely to see significant turnover. While we can't count on Royals relievers to be as dominant in 2014 as they were this year -- the unit's 2.55 ERA was easily the AL's best -- all key contributors are in line to return next season. Pieces like Luke Hochevar is a bit of a wildcard, as his success this year in the pen (70 1/3 IP, 1.92 ERA) could lead the Royals to try him again as a starter.

Things change when we turn to the rotation, where Moore and his lieutenants may find themselves making significant investments this winter just to stay in place. Bruce Chen, whose 3.27-ERA, 121-inning season places him firmly in crafty lefty territory. The Royals may opt to pass on bringing back the 36-year-old Chen, however, if his asking price extends to two years.

There's more uncertainty in the rotation behind Santana and Chen. It's an open question how long Wil Myers trade, saw his peripherals slip despite a sterling 3.15 ERA in 228 2/3 innings. If he posts similar strikeout and walk rates next year, Shields could see his ERA rise to something more in line with the 3.72 that xFIP projected him for this year.

Luckily, several young pitchers may be ready to help the Royals' staff in 2014. Danny Duffy, who clawed his way back from Tommy John surgery to make five starts as the season drew to a close. If one of these three can stick in the majors in 2014, the rotation picture looks magnitudes brighter.

In an October Phil Hughes[/B] could make sense, or the Royals could look to swing a trade for an arm with bounce-back potential, as they did with Santana around this time last year. However, Moore adds in the same article that it's not inconceivable that the Royals enter 2014 without having acquired a veteran pitcher. "The bullpen was used very wisely this year," Moore said. " … If our bullpen has to be used a little bit more next year in the first part of the season, so be it." Comments such as these suggest that the Royals will look to make an acquisition but are comfortable with the pieces they have in place if the right opportunity doesn't materialize.

After the team scored just 648 runs this season, many Royals fans expect Moore to conduct a thorough search for offensive help over the winter. Second base stands out as an immediate need, as Royals second basemen hit just .240/.296/.306 for the year. writes that the club will still look to acquire a second baseman this winter, with an eye toward shifting Bonifacio to a utility role. Who might pique their interest?

The Royals' name surfaced frequently in trade talks surrounding the Angels' Rickie Weeks -- with Bonifacio in the fold, the Royals can afford to be a bit more selective.

It's worth noting that ESPN's Buster Olney confirmed. Dutton noted, however, that Moore has indicated he's willing to trade any player in the right deal. Dealing Country Breakfast for say, an everyday second baseman this winter would be selling low on a player who posted a 116 OPS+ this season but who had previously managed a mark of at least 125 every year since 2009. It would also immediately task the Royals with finding DH help outside the organization, as there doesn't appear to be a player in the minors ready to replace Butler.

If the Royals can't put together a trade for a second baseman, three-year, $25MM deal for the 31-year-old, which might be in the Royals' price range. Beyond Infante, though, it's an uninspiring market.

The outfield would also appear to be in need of an upgrade -- Royals outfielders collectively hit just .259/.314/.392 in 2013. However, that same group also combined for a 52.5 UZR, suggesting that they were the majors' best defensive outfield by a wide margin. Adding a marquee name like Marlon Byrd could work for the Royals, as he grades out as a strong right fielder and could provide an offensive boost even with some regression from this year's standout season.

The Royals found themselves on the cusp of contention in 2013 for the first time in decades. However, the club must address multiple holes this offseason if it hopes to stay there. Significant regression is likely in the starting rotation, and success in 2014 likely hinges on whether Moore & Co. can counteract it. The Royals will also need to find a way to add to their young offense, as this isn't a playoff-caliber lineup as currently projected.

It's all fun and games until someone gets shot in the eye with a wiener.

What a yawner. Vargas?!?! Should've dealt Butler and a decent minor-leaguer for Kinsler.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT