ADVERTISEMENT

⚾ KC Royals Royals winning more championships

Missouri World Series in 2015.

I am going to try and make it to Arizona in March for two or three days of Spring Training. Never been before, it's on the list of things to do.

I am very confident we will acquire additional starting pitching for next year. I hope they resign Chen.

So which of you fools am I going to see at Kaufman next weekend?

Congrats to Gold Glove left fielder Alex Gordon. Great to see his career finally taking off.

Someone should lock this thread.

No one cares about the Royals!!!!1

J_7239200942A.jpg

Just got Sanchez for Cabrera. Nice addition to the starting rotation, if he stays healthy. Now Cain can take over in centerfield. He's a huge upgrade defensively and should put up similar numbers with the bat that Cabrera did this year.

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
Just got Sanchez for Cabrera. Nice addition to the starting rotation, if he stays healthy. Now Cain can take over in centerfield. He's a huge upgrade defensively and should put up similar numbers with the bat that Cabrera did this year.

I just saw this, what a great move by the Royals. Every pundit I've seen (except for one in the Bay Area) claims this to be a huge win for the Royals.

Like the potential upside to the trade.

Melky is set to be a free agent after 2012 season.

The Royals also benefit from this deal, but in a different way. If Kansas City wants to be taken seriously by free agents, it has to show a commitment to improving the club. While the club did delete Cabrera from the team, they opened up center field for prospect Lorenzo Cain, who was part of the Zack Greinke trade prior to the 2011 season. Where the major improvement comes is in the rotation, which had the fourth-worst rotation in baseball last season with zero upside. When Luke Hochevar starts on Opening Day, there's a problem.

Sanchez's arrival will deepen the rotation, which you can bet free agents will notice. C.J. Wilson may be one such person, who will attract attention from many teams as one of the top starters on the market. Kansas City is expected to be involved, and the acquisition of Sanchez should help Wilson be more confident in the direction the Royals are taking. Wilson can look ahead at the incoming crop of elite pitching prospects and see the potential for a deep, devastating rotation. The Royals can also entice Wilson or another pitcher to town by contending that the acquisitions of two starters will allow the team to trade some of its minor-league pitching talent to further bolster the club, which GM Dayton Moore has alluded to be working toward.

Incidentially, my free-agency predictions had Reyes to the Giants and Wilson to the Royals. After this trade, these predictions are looking more and more realistic.

Another article on the trade

Hopefully whatever finally "clicked" for him last year will continue so I'm all for the extension. I'd hate for him to have an even better season and then wind up a Yankee in 2013.

That would be cool just to hang out in the parking lot and watch on the boobtube. If they're letting people do that, I could surely make it July 10.

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
That would be cool just to hang out in the parking lot and watch on the boobtube. If they're letting people do that, I could surely make it July 10.

I'd be up for that. The actual tickets have face values upwards of $400 for an upper level seat.

When early June gets here, we'll have to do some investigatin' to see what the "rules" are. Surely they'll be happy to take our parking money.

You do not have to have a ticket to get in the parking area (just $12 for reg games, probably $30 for this one). The trick will be having a power source for the TV.

Sport Illustrated picked KC to finish 2nd in the Central this year. Winning record here we come!

Tough injuries this spring.

Starting catcher out till All Star break. Back up catcher out till mid May.

Soria likely out for the season, needs Tommy John surgery for the second time in his career.

Let's hope the talent keeps developing and we start getting in the playoffs real soon.

03/31/12 10:30 AM ET

Royals preparing next wave of top prospects
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Over the past two or three years, the Kansas City Royals have earned praise for and reaped the benefits of a flourishing Minor League system.
Their cup runneth over last year when such homegrown products as Aaron Crow, Greg Holland, Danny Duffy, Eric Hosmer, Johnny Giavotella and Mike Moustakas, among others, all reached the big time.

"It wasn't just a one-year kind of flash-in-the pan of one group getting there," said Scott Sharp, the Royals' director of Minor League operations. "There's a lot more behind them."

where to watch
A look at where Royals' Top 20 prospects are likely to start the 2012 season: No. Player Club Level
1 Bubba Starling Extended ST
2 Wil Myers NW Arkansas AA
3 Mike Montgomery Omaha AAA
4 Jake Odorizzi NW Arkansas AA
5 Chelsor Cuthbert Wilmington A+
6 John Lamb Rehabbing
7 Chris Dwyer NW Arkansas AA
8 Kelvin Herrera Kansas City MLB
9 Christian Colon NW Arkansas AA
10 Yordano Ventura Wilmington A+
11 Noel Arguelles NW Arkansas AA
12 Jason Adam Wilmington A+
13 Orlando Calixte Kane County A
14 Brett Eibner Rehabbing
15 Will Smith Omaha AAA
16 Mike Antonio Kane County A
17 Bryan Brickhouse Extended ST
18 David Lough Omaha AAA
19 Humberto Arteaga Extended ST
20 Jorge Bonifacio Kane County A

Click here for the complete Top 20 list on Prospect Watch.
Injecting new life and more talent into the farm system was a primary concern for general manager Dayton Moore when he took over early in the 2006 season. His moves have paid off and Sharp believes the aura of excellence can be maintained.

"I actually think we have more talent in our system now than we've ever had," Sharp said. "It's at a little bit of a lower level, but I think there's a greater concentration of better talent. You can't dispute Moustakas and Hosmer -- I mean, high-, high-level talent -- but I think we have very good talent, and more of it than we've ever had."

The Royals Minor Leaguers will break camp this week with 25 players each assigned to the full-season clubs at Triple-A Omaha, Double-A Northwest Arkansas, advanced Class A Wilmington and Class A Kane County. There are also about 70 players in extended spring training, and about 20 others rehabbing from injuries. Once the three Rookie classification teams at Idaho Falls, Burlington and Surprise and the Dominican Republic team get going later in the summer, the Royals will have about 270 players in the organization.

The Omaha Storm Chasers won the Pacific Coast League championship last season. The Northwest Arkansas Naturals and the Kane County Cougars made the playoffs.

Minor League Baseball's Opening Day is Thursday, and you can keep track of the Royals' top prospects throughout the season on Prospect Watch. And get scores, stats, news, schedules, tickets and more for all of the Royals' Minor League teams on the Royals' affiliates page.

Stacked squads
The flood of talent, in Sharp's eyes, isn't stopping.

"We do feel like we have more waves pushing through," Sharp said. "If you look at the Double-A pitching staff, if you look at the prospective lineup at Wilmington, if you look at the group we have in extended spring training -- we still feel like we have three separate and distinct waves of players that are working their way through our system."

The Northwest Arkansas pitchers include such top prospects as Tim Melville, Jake Odorizzi, Chris Dwyer, Noel Arguelles and Justin Marks. Hot shots Elisaul Pimentel and Michael Mariot couldn't even be squeezed into that rotation. The Wilmington lineup will include the returning Whit Merrifield in the leadoff spot with Cheslor Cuthbert, Brian Fletcher and Brett Eibner forming a solid middle.

Debuts and Draftees
That wave at extended spring training that Sharp mentioned includes the Royals' top Draft choice of 2011, outfielder Bubba Starling, who is ranked No. 1 on MLB.com's list of Top 20 Royals Prospects. He signed too late to play in a summer league last year so the Royals are breaking him in slowly at their complex at Surprise, Ariz.

"He's going to start down here in extended and let him breathe a little bit and he'll be fine. He's doing well, adjusting well," Sharp said. "We're not sure where he'll end up, could be a short-season team or could be a full-season."

Starling, a tall right-handed hitter, figures to play center field.

"He's going through the learning curve," Sharp said. "When he first got here [for Spring Training], we were playing a lot intrasquads, essentially facing Double-A pitching because it was more of our advanced pitchers that we were getting ready to either be starters for Double-A and Triple-A or be Major League backups for Spring Training. So he got exposed pretty quick to some really high-level pitching and he's starting to adjust. And he does a great job in the outfield."

Other top Draft picks from 2011 who are also starting the season in extended Spring Training are catcher Cameron Gallagher (second round), pitcher Bryan Brickhouse (third round) and pitcher Kyle Smith (fourth round).

Outfielder Elier Hernandez, who received a $3 million-plus bonus at age 16, is one of the top international players being groomed in extended Spring Training. He's a power-hitting right-handed batter from San Cristobal, D.R.

Teams on TV
The Omaha Storm Chasers, the Northwest Arkansas Naturals and the Idaho Falls Chukars are among a growing number of teams whose games are available on MiLB.TV. The 2012 MiLB.TV package will include more than 2,500 Minor League games streamed live, as well as games archived for on-demand streaming soon after completion.

Omaha's roster will include hard-hitting favorites from last year in Giavotella and first baseman Clint Robinson and speedy outfielder Jarrod Dyson. The starting rotation will include left-handed prospect Mike Montgomery and right-hander Nate Adcock, who spent his Rule 5 season last year in the Kansas City bullpen.

Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Steve Zissou:
You do not have to have a ticket to get in the parking area (just $12 for reg games, probably $30 for this one). The trick will be having a power source for the TV.
I's gots an excellent portable generator. Can run for 8 hours on a tank of gas. Plenty nuff juice to power large screen TV and margarita machine.

Good to know, I drink beer or sometimes whiskey or zima with a jolly rancher.
This post was edited on 4/9 10:29 PM by Steve Zissou

Everyone in the bullpen did its job yesterday except that bum Broxton. Two walks and two HBPs to lose a game? What an a-hole. I wonder how his warm-up session went before they let him go out there.

I see the Royals are settling in their accustomed season start. what is it? 3-6, including a four-game losing streak. And the defending WS Cardinals? Oh, yes in first.

Positioning for one final top 5 draft pick in June, 2013 before winning 2013 World Series.

R.A. Dickey's new book is more interesting than the Royals right now. Glad the losing streak is over.

Bats are finally starting to produce some runs.

I am quite concenrned with Duffy missing his last start due to tightness in his elbow. He's suppose to start a game in the Detroit series. We can't afford to have him out.

Now Cain is probably out for an additional four weeks.

Injuries have been brutal to our starters this year.

I didn't get to game 7, went to Game 1 of 85 series.

Posted on Sat, Jun. 02, 2012
Remember When | Confetti rained on Royals’ parade
By SKIP STOGSDILL
Special to The Star
Longtime Royals fans know the I-70 World Series triumph against St. Louis in 1985 is the team’s sole championship to date.

Our home sat a mile south of the stadium. On nights our master bedroom window was open, we often heard the Royals organist trumpet “Charge!”

I’m a tepid fan, but the organization I worked for had four desirable home game season tickets. My wife and I took both kids to a couple of games that glorious ’85 season; photos of them posed with Willie Wilson and Dan Quisenberry at a pre-game promotion remain in their albums today.

That was the first series featuring all night games and the last time the DH wasn’t used in an American League ballpark. In Game 6, the Royals were on the verge of losing the series until a controversial call. Bottom of the ninth, Royals down 1-0.

Veteran umpire Don Denkinger at first base ruled Jose Orta safe on a single. Replays showed him out. The Royals then scratched out two runs for a 2-1 win.

Next night, Kansas City scored five unearned runs in 2 1/3 innings against Cards ace John Tudor and romped to an 11-0 Series ring.

The Royals were the first team to lose their first two home games and then rally to snatch the World Series. Cy Young winner Bret Saberhagen held St. Louis to the lowest Series batting average ever (.188) until the Yankees broke it in 2001? and the fewest runs (13) of any team in a seven-game series, a record that still stands.

I skipped work the afternoon of the Royals victory parade and applauded from 11th and Grand as players and staff rode by in expensive antique cars a local collector had loaned.

I’d just snapped a picture of George Brett when confetti started a car fire. Other cars suffered a similar fate, and the parade stalled for 45 minutes while players and drivers scrambled to safety and substitute transportation was arranged.

Stogsdill lives in Overland Park.To share your true Remember When story (300-400 words, please), email it to kcstarmag@gmail.com. If you have a snapshot to go with your story, please send it as well.

Get swept by Pittsburgh, then turn around and sweep Milwaukee. It's maddening b/c they're so damn close to getting over the hump.

Need to win eight of ten and things will get interesting. Our starting pitching is very average at best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT