ADVERTISEMENT

⚾ KC Royals Royals winning more championships

Winning the series vs the greatest fans on earth was nice.

My timeline for success is to get to 3 games under .500 by the ASB, then be at .500 (easy July schedule post ASB) by 8/1 at which point Perez, Cain, and Paulino will be back along with an additional Starter received via a trade of some sort.

ST. LOUIS - Thousands of Royals in order to participate in various Best Fans in Baseball action events across Missouri on Sunday.
Billy Butler's ninth inning home run eventually sent the game into extra innings, and the five hour affair eventually ate into the Sunday evenings of many dedicated Cardinal fans.
"It's unfortunate that the game went to extra innings, because as one of the Best Fans in Baseball, I already had a previous appointment to lead a team of enthusiasts through St. Louis on a six hour long 'Fernando Vina Parked Here Tour'," said Mike Redbird.
Other fans faced similar quandaries. The largest group included some 500 people, who fanned out along both banks of the Mississippi river, hunting for Bo Hart memorabilia.
"A lot washes up every time we have a big rain," said Kevin LaTorre, "it's amazing, there are so many levels of amazing Cardinal history on these shores. We have the McEwing group on the Illinois side, and the Placido Polanco group on the Missouri side. On a good day, we'll find Bo Hart era trash - beer bottles, magazines, McDonald's wrappers, that all help us better understand that amazing time in Cardinal history. Material culture is really the best way to understand just what it was like being one of the Best Fans in Baseball in 2003."
"I love the Redbirds," said Michelle Lankford-Edmunds, "but I had already scheduled a talk at the Chesterfield Public Library."
The sixth of ten lectures on the 1997 Cardinals, Lankford-Edmunds' lecture will discuss John Mabry'sperformance in clutch situations.
"Mabry's utility, versatility, and baseball courage meant so much to that team," she said.
Out on the river, LaTorre's group followed the extra frames via a unique device. Constructed last year by a team at Washington University, the Lohseometer takes the baseball play by play, converts it to Morse code, then reads out the dashes and dots using a recording of Jack Buck's voice.
"It's truly the theater of the mind," said LaTorre. "Hearing Jack say 'dash dash dash dot dash dot dot dash dot dot' out on the mighty Mississp' while looking for reminders of the way we lived during those magical years of Bo Hart is baseball poetry and pure Americana."

LOL, that's pretty good stuff.

Shit, I didn't know Paulino was out that long. Leave Betancourt in the starting line-up. He earned it yesterday.

I don't know Paulino's timeline. Perez could be back this week, I was just saying that with those 3, maybe Myers and Odorizzy and another Starter we trade for and we could make a playoff run in August/September.

Where the heck do you put Myers in the line-up? Or are you saying he'd be part of the trade package?

I'd trade Frenchy and put Myers in right. He has played better in AAA than any prospect we have had including Butler, Hosmer, and Moose.

Right now Myers is playing Center, if he is adequate in Center I'd play him there and get rid of every other CF option.

my lineup would be

Gordon
Bentancourt
Butler
Moose
Myers
Hosmer
Perez
Escobar
Cain

4.5 games out of first, it is nice to be in the Central division. Getting a couple of players back, maybe a couple of call ups, the 35th promise of "we fixed Luke," and maybe a trade could have us playing meaningful games in September.

Originally posted by Steve Zissou:
the 35th promise of "we fixed Luke,"
I was astounded he went more than seven innings last night. Chen had best bounce back today.

Jesus H. We can't buy a break with any of our young pitchers. And it's been that way for 20 years going back to Bluma, Granger, Reichert, Rosado, etc.

Crazy year for the Royals so far. Perez is a difference maker, having him back will help a bunch. Right now we are 5 back of the Sux, 2.5 from the Indians, and maybe more importantly 1 game back from the Tigers.

This weekend matchups look good with the White Sox at Yankees, Indians at Orioles, and Tigers at Tampa while the Royals are at Minnesota. If we are going to make a playoff push this is a weekend to make up some ground.

My thoughts exactly when I looked at the schedules this morning. If Hosmer can get hot, it will only help everyone else in the line-up. Any chance we might trade some prospects back to Milwaukee for Grienke?

Very doubtful that we trade for him, maybe sign him in free agency.

There is an outside chance of signing Garza because his current contract runs through 2013.

The Yankees will be looking for some starting help too as they lost two pitchers for a couple of months. We have much better prospects to trade than they do though.

Starting pitcjhing has been good the last four weeks. Hochevar had a great game last night. Jamie Guthrie has been very good the last four starts. Mendoza doing a good job as well.

Maybe next year, we will be in a division race in September.

I thought we might pull one out today, but Butler did nothing when he had his chance in the top of the eighth. I still think we can finish about 6 to 8 games under .500, which will be plenty for third place. Hey, it's a step in the right direction. Like we talked about, take away that 0-10 homestand to start and that :crap:ty roadtrip right before the all-star break we'd definitely be .500 or better. Toss in a healthy Paulino and Duffy on the mound and we might be a pretty good ballclub.

Intersting piece by KC Star writer.

David Glass and an angry ad and what might be his last chance
Sam Mellinger
The Kansas City Star
Well, this was inevitable. If anything, it's a wonder that it took this long for a Kansas Citian to take out an ad in the Star telling David Glass to sell the Royals.
There is real money behind this ? my daily massages don't pay for themselves, you know ? and real emotion. In every way that matters, this was a long time coming.
David Glass is the most hated sports figure in Kansas City, and it's not close. The two easiest ways to start a conversation in this town are to ask how the Chiefs will do this fall or curse Glass' name. Yesterday, I spoke at a Rotary Club. They invited me mostly to talk about the Olympics, but soon enough a nice man asked what I thought it would take for Glass to sell the team.
It doesn't matter that Glass has been ? all things considered ? a very good small-market owner the last six years. I'm sure I'll receive a few angry emails for even writing that, because every time I've written that I've received at least a few angry emails.
Fans don't want to hear it, and I don't blame them. Under Glass' leadership, the Royals became quite possibly the worst franchise in sports so if your stance is that nothing short of a parade can make up for that, I understand. The Royals have done nothing but lose under Glass.
He turns 77 next month and if he's the man I think he is ? a very different one from the public perception of being disconnected and apathetic ? this season is as frustrating as any for him. I've always wondered if he sees this current group as his best and last chance to see the franchise he saved from leaving with a bargain-basement purchase actually win.
This group is his best chance to quit being the caricature.
This offseason is his best opportunity to help make it happen.
And, yes. I'm still pimping that column because it's still hot fire.

royal-family-lizard-431x300.jpg

I hope none of these are traded, except maybe the lizard.

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
We'd be Royally screwed if we traded the Lizard Queen!

You can see the concern on Bonnie Prince Charles' face about the trade rumors!

This post was edited on 9/2 2:04 PM by TUMe

Going to have to trade some players to get a #1, 2 or 3 starter. Butler could be the guy.

Posted on Fri, Sep. 14, 2012
New York professor is bullish on Royals' chances in 2013

By PETE GRATHOFF
The Kansas City Star

In a Bloomberg story published Friday, Wayne McDonnell, an associate professor of sports management at New York University, played up the Royals' chances in 2013.

Naturally, I wanted to know more, so I contacted McDonnell, who specializes in the business of baseball.

"I guess I've played some close attention to the Royals since the All-Star break," McDonnell said by phone. "In the current trend in baseball, we're seeing the Orioles, the Rays, even the Pirates, these mid-market teams are finally are coming into their own and teams like the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies that are overspending are having some difficulty this year.

"I look at the Royals roster: they're young, they're talented, they've definitely needed some seasoning over the past couple of years. That's why I think next year is the year they're going to take the next step forward."

Of course, there is a caveat for the Royals, who haven't made the playoffs since 1985 and haven't even had a winning season since 2003.

"I think the Royals are in a position where they are probably going to have to move one of their young prospects and ballplayers to get pitching," McDonnell said. "That's the one area I thought that would be able to take them to the next step."

Forget for a moment that the Royals marketing department declared "Our Time" as the slogan for this year and then we all watched the team struggle so much early that a .500 season is a longshot.

McDonnell rattled off the names Mike Moustakas, Salvy Perez, Alex Gordon and Eric Hosmer.

"There is a core nucleus that reminds me of the Tampa Bay Rays right before the 2008 season when people started taking notice of them," McDonnell said.

"But for them to make that next significant step, they're probably going to have deal a guy like Billy Butler. I know that's something that's very difficult to hear, but you can get value for him.

"Not only is he an All-Star this year, but there is value, especially for a ballplayer of that ilk in the American League, and I can easily see a team giving up a significant pitcher to get a guy like that."

A trade of that nature, McDonnell believes, would serve notice around the league.

"That is the type of move that would send a ripple effect throughout baseball that says, 'the Royals are getting ready to take off," McDonnell said.

And he believes that despite the struggles this season, the Royals are ready for bigger and better things in 2013.

"The young talent they have right now," McDonnell said, "would be very encouraging if I were a Royals fan."
pgrathoff@kcstar.com

I really would've liked to have seen what Myers could do hitting every day in the line-up. But adding James Shields is huge. When's the last time we even had a legit ace? The rotation, however it plays out after Shields and Santana, should eat alot of innings. That should make middle relief even better than it was last year. Hosmer bounces back and hits .300, we could easily be in the thick of this.

Shields will take a lot of the pressure of being an ace off of Guthrie/Santana/Duffy (when he comes back late June as reports have his rehab going as well as possibly expected). That said, removing Frenchy (worst position player in the MLB) and plugging in Myers probably generates more wins than adding Shields.

The pitching should be better than AL league average. Having a healthy Cain and Perez would immediately boost the offense. Need Moose and Hos to progress as projected. Playing in the weak AL central also helps.

I'm all for a full season of Cain and Perez. Just watching Cain in his limited time, I really liked what I saw. Perez for a full season is a no-brainer. Straight-up stud. Not worried about Hosmer, Butler, Moose, Escobar or Gordon. I am concerned we'll still have to put that little kid at second base. Giovotella is a poor man's Eckstein, who was a poor man's poor man.

Glad to hear about Duffy's rehab. Any news on Paulino?

I don't mind the Frenchman. His arm still keeps runs from scoring, he's great in the clubhouse, and if he can just hit .280, I'd be really happy.

This trade is starting to grow on me, the players are definitely excited. I haven't heard anything on Paulino's recovery, but Duffy's is very positive, he is expected to gain a mph or two.

I can't stand the Frenchman, if he wasn't so slow getting to balls in the outfield his arm could have a bigger impact. Also, he started a fight with Moose late last year. If he can hit above 250 I'll be happier with him. His .235 .287 ..378 line last year is unacceptable; Dontrelle Willis's career OPS is .665 (same number as the Frenchman last year).

I didn't know that about the flap with Moose. I know Frenchy's WAR and what not were the worst in the league. Where's Bubba Starling when you need him?!?!

Originally posted by Steve Zissou:
This trade is starting to grow on me, the players are definitely excited. I haven't heard anything on Paulino's recovery, but Duffy's is very positive, he is expected to gain a mph or two.

I can't stand the Frenchman, if he wasn't so slow getting to balls in the outfield his arm could have a bigger impact. Also, he started a fight with Moose late last year. If he can hit above 250 I'll be happier with him. His .235 .287 ..378 line last year is unacceptable; Dontrelle Willis's career OPS is .665 (same number as the Frenchman last year).
I was told Moose can be a bit of a challenge to deal with at times as an off the field teammate and does not have a very positive attitude about things overall. Apparently he can be a bit of a tool, but if he produces on the field you tend to put up with things.

I doubt he is planning on signing any contract extensions. Winning some division titles, american league pennants and more might help his attitude.

Thanks for sharing.

Weren't you at Brett's Hall of Fame induction? You two probably shared a few cold beers!

I was indeed! Unfortunately, I never got within 100 feet of him. I got about 10 feet from Pete Rose, who was charging 100 bucks for his sig. That was Pete's big middle finger to the HoF. Hell, he probably would've charged me 100 bucks to buy him a beer too!

This thread has more pages than the Royals will have wins. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Interesting piece about several different things. Some of the stuff is strictly off field information.

I do think are starting pitching is going to be a lot better, barring injuries. Chen are Hochever are trying to win the fifth staring spot when last year they were our #1 and #2 starters going into the season.

Posted on Tue, Jan. 22, 2013
Caravan day: On the road with the Royals

By NICOLE POELL
The Kansas City Star

The Royals are wrapping up this year's Caravan by honoring members of the military. George Brett, Jeremy Guthrie, Jeff Montgomery and Rex Hudler stopped at Fort Leavenworth and Fort Riley. The Star's assistant sports editor, Nicole Poell, has been sharing highlights and photos from the road trip.

Emotional moment Montgomery, who is on his first military caravan, got caught up in the welcome home ceremony for troops at Fort Riley. "One word -- emotional. To see the reaction from the wives and kids, with their eyes on the door as guys were coming in, just looking for their guy," he said.

'Cool' to see Royals Corporal Michael Moret of Chino, Calif., was one of 223 returning home from Afghanistan on Tuesday. He had been in Fobshrana, Afghanistan since May. After catching up with his wife, mom and two sons -- "I think my 3-year-old hung around my neck for 10 minutes" -- he was shocked to see the Royals at Fort Riley. "It's pretty cool. I'm an Angels fan, but it's great to see them here."

Welcome home Brett knew what he was doing wearing sunglasses to Fort Riley this afternoon. There weren't many dry eyes as families welcomed back the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, from Afghanistan.

Usually the center of attention, Brett was just another guy in the crowd as he climbed on a chair to get a better view as soldiers streamed in. After hugs and kisses with their families, soldiers got to meet and chat with Brett and rest of the Royals in a private reception.

Hudler doing the Wabash? After their stop at Fort Riley, the Royals will catch tonight's Sunflower Showdown in Manhattan. The Jayhawks outnumber Wildcats on the bus, with Brett, Hudler and Monty all picking KU to win tonight (although Monty thinks it will be close.) Guthrie, the newcomer, isn't sure but seemed to be leaning toward K-State. Hudler had never heard of K-State's Wabash Cannonball tradition but may be dancing it later tonight at Bramlage...we'll definitely get pics of that if it happens.

Guthrie on Shields Guthrie has had a chance to speak to new No. 1 starter James Shields and says Shields is "very excited" to be coming to Kansas City. "He believes in the team and knows how tough our lineup can be and is excited to have the guys we do on the pitching staff. He's a guy that leads with performance as well as emotion. Seeing the reaction of his former teammates to losing him is indicative to what we expect to get from him. I know he's excited to come over here and join this team and have a chance to make a run at our division if things go right."

Sluggerrr=Nightmare fuel After a few memorable run-ins with mascots over the years (near brawl with Lou Seal in San Francisco ... and Mr. Met has pictures), am relieved that there have been no incidents with Sluggerrr today. Of course, he's not so threatening without his hot dog missile.

Get ready to chat We're back on the bus, headed to Fort Riley. Going to try to get the whole crew together for a Royals chat around 2. Log in to the chat at KansasCity.com/sports and send us your questions...

Rex's offseason program Asked Hudler how he stays in shape. "Bikram yoga. Good for the mind and the body." He seems pretty zen, so it's obviously working for him. Hudler added that after a rather challenging first year doing broadcast work for the Royals, he thinks fans started to get to know him and his style better as the season progressed.

What's it worth? Jeremy Guthrie was asked if James Shields was giving him anything for giving Shields his number. "We're still negotiating."

Col. Fry and Capt. McCotter Met Col. Chris Fry Sr. and his buddy, Capt. Casey McCotter, as they waited in line for autographs. Capt. McCotter, who grew up a Royals fan in Mount Holly, N.C., couldn't believe he was getting to meet Brett. "During my childhood, he was in the prime of his career," he said. "I was a huge fan of George and Bo Jackson."

Col. Fry, the director for the Department of Distance Education, was born in Mexico, Mo., but grew up in Kansas City right by the old Municipal Stadium and Arthur Bryant's. He said he loved the old-school Royals like Brett, Frank White, Cookie Rojas and Paul Splittorff. Was he even a little star-struck about meeting Brett? "I'm cool," he said. "I'm older, like I keep telling my buddy (McCotter)."

Meeting military families, fans at Fort Leavenworth After arriving at Fort Leavenworth, the Royals met with Command Sgt. Major Chris Greca, who told them what it meant to have them there in support of the military. Brett told Greca that he wants the Royals to spend more time around the military and let the soldiers know how much they're appreciated. Guthrie, who flew into town just to participate in the Caravan, told the crowd it was "a chance to be surrounded by heroes. You are our heroes."

On Royals pitching staff Brett's pretty quick. Discussing the Royals acquiring Ervin Santana, Wade Davis and James Shields in the offseason: "I was excited until I heard they had signed Guthrie." Guthrie got a laugh out of that. Brett addded "But I just can't recall when Royals have had this much pitching. I have to go back to 85 when they had Saberhagen, Gubicza, Jackson, Liebrandt and Black. When you had 5 solid starters." Hudler: For a mid-market team, it signals win now. They're in the game now."

Brett on the military caravans Brett first started joining the Royals on caravans back in the '70s. "Back then, the caravans would last about five days and go to all these little towns in Kansas that I'd never heard of. We'd go to banks, radio affiliates....When the Royals started doing the caravans again a few years ago, they asked me to go to Whiteman Air Force Base. I told them anytime you're doing military trips, I'll go."

Ballplayers are into...Pinterest? So I head to the back of the bus to talk baseball with George Brett, Jeremy Guthrie, Jeff Montgomery and Rex Hudler and find them discussing Pinterest. Wow. Brett was attempting to look it up on his phone while Monty explained it. (Monty's son is working for Pinterest.)

Welcome home, soldiers Brett knew what he was doing wearing sunglasses to fort Riley this afternoon. There weren't many dry eyes as families welcomed back the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry division, from Afghanistan.

Usually the center of attention, Brett was just another guy in the crowd as he climbed on a chair to get a better view as soldiers streamed in.

After hugs and kisses with their families, soldiers got to meet and chat with Brett and rest of the Royals in a private reception.

Corp. Michael Moret of Chino, Calif., was one of 223 returning home from Afghanistan on Tuesday. He had been in Fobshrana, Afghanistan, since May.

After catching up with his wife, mom and two sons -- 'I think my 3-year-old hung around my neck for 10 minutes' -- he was shocked to see Royals there.

"It's pretty cool. I'm an Angels fan, but it's great to see them here."

Montgomery, who is on his first military caravan, got caught up in the welcome home ceremony for troops.

"One word -- emotional. To see the reaction from the wives and kids, with their eyes on the door as guys were coming in, just looking for their guy."

2013 Opening Day Payroll $79,000,000. Could be the end of Yost, if not drastic improvement.

Posted on Sat, Mar. 02, 2013
Royals' payroll projects at $79 million after reaching agreements with all players
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

The numbers are now in, and they indicate the Royals will likely open the season with a club-record payroll of roughly $79 million.

The club announced agreements Saturday morning with the five remaining previously unsigned players on their 40-man roster: pitchers Francisley Bueno, Louis Coleman, Aaron Crow, Luis Mendoza and Guillermo Moscoso.

The $79 million estimate contains some roster projections, such as veteran infielder Miguel Tejada breaking camp with the club, and accounts for pitchers Felipe Paulino and Danny Duffy opening the season on the disabled list.

The opening day payroll for players on the active roster and disabled list is the industry's most common measuring stick ? although it is not necessarily the most accurate reflection of a club's financial obligations.

Major League Baseball prefers to use the cost of the entire 40-man roster at the end of the season. Current projections put the Royals at roughly $82 million for that cost, although it is subject to change through personnel moves such as trades.

The club's previous record for an opening day payroll was $70.5 million in 2009. The Royals opened last season at $60.9 million and finished the season at $68.6 million for their 40-man payroll.

Much of this year's payroll is ticketed for a rebuilt rotation with Ervin Santana set to make $12 million, followed by James Shields at $10.5 million, Jeremy Guthrie at $5 million and Wade Davis at $2.8 million.

The three primary competitors for the fifth spot are Luke Hochevar ($4.56 million), Bruce Chen ($4.5 million) and Luis Mendoza ($532,000).

Royals' 2013 salaries for 40-man roster

($85,941,565 for 41 players)

RHP Ervin Santana*: $12 million

RHP James Shields: $10.5 million

OF Alex Gordon: $9 million

DH Billy Butler: $8 million

OF Jeff Francoeur: $6.75 million

RHP Jeremy Guthrie: $5 million

RHP Luke Hochevar: $4.56 million

LHP Bruce Chen: $4.5 million

SS Alcides Escobar: $3 million

RHP Wade Davis: $2.8 million

RHP Felipe Paulino*: $1.75 million

RHP Aaron Crow: $1.28 million

2B Chris Getz: $1.05 million

C George Kottaras: $1 million

C Salvy Perez: $1 million

LHP Noel Arguelles: $750,000

RHP J.C. Gutierrez: $750,000

C Brett Hayes: $600,000

RHP Greg Holland: $539,500

LHP Tim Collins: $534,500

RHP Luis Mendoza: $532,000

1B Eric Hosmer: $528,250

3B Mike Moustakas: $524,500

UTL Elliot Johnson: $520,500

RHP Louis Coleman: $511,000

RHP Kelvin Herrera: $508,175

LHP Everett Teaford: $507,250

OF Jarrod Dyson: $506,000

LHP Danny Duffy: $505,125

RHP Guillermo Moscoso: $504,250

OF Lorenzo Cain: $503,175

RHP Nate Adcock: $500,540

LHP Will Smith: $496,500

2B Johnny Giavotella: $494,000

LHP Francisley Bueno: $492,650

UTL Irving Falu: $492,025

OF David Lough: $491,625

LHP John Lamb: $490,000

LHP Chris Dwyer: $490,000

LHP Donnie Joseph: $490,000

LHP Justin Marks: $490,000

* Ervin Santana also receives $1 million from Los Angeles Angels under terms of Oct. 31, 2012 trade; Felipe Paulino is currently on the 60-day disabled list, which means he doesn't require a spot on the 40-man roster.

Note: UTL Miguel Tejada is in camp on a minor-league contract. If he breaks camp with the big-league club, he will make $1.1 million.
To reach Bob Dutton, Royals reporter for The Star, send email to twitter.com/Royals_Report.
? 2013 Kansas City Star and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved. http://www.kansascity.com

Astonishing that this zombie thread is still going to no satisfactory end, much like the Royals -- GO CARDS!

Finally got our first win yesterday. Wade Davis is getting his first start today, for the Royals to have a winning season this year he will likely need to pitch well all year.

Absolutely. We need a 15-9 type year from he and Guthrie with Shields giving us 17-8ish. .500 from Mendoza and Santana is gravy.

Shields has indicated in interviews since he was traded for that he would be like a pitching coach. One of his trade marks has been no walks, after almost 2 times through the rotations for all teams the Royals have the leagues best K/BB ratio.

Oh, and they are in first place today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT