ADVERTISEMENT

⚾ KC Royals Royals winning more championships

Cool thing yesterday. Eddie Volquez throws a no hitter for the Marlins on what would have been former teammate, Yordano Ace Ventura's 26th birthday.

Li'l Eric Coley, bring home a Royals win today.

Thanks.

Hoping to not get swept all four games. Splitting the 4 games would be good. Astros consistently playing very good baseball. Royals not so much, although, have been better the last two weeks.

Somebody just posted an article in my Facebook feed with the headline "Royals Making More Moves". I figure that event is as good as any other for me to post something in this thread for the first time.

Hell yeah! Olney wrote a column this morning about the Royals standing pat if we're still playing well over the next few weeks. As much as I love the thought, I also don't wanna set the organization back a decade b/c we didn't get any badass prospects for the core group that will all be free agents at the end of the season.

Reactions: TUMU
I can't believe a guy (Mike Moustakas) who hit 38 homers last season and is an above average fielder is going to be unemployed when spring training starts. Why in the world wouldn't the Royals sign him to a one-year contract and then trade him to a contender in the late summer? By the way, I'm 72 years old and I don't believe another 30-year rebuilding program is going to work for me.

I'm 72 years old and I don't believe another 30-year rebuilding program is going to work for me.

lol, I'm not a big fan of the 30-year rebuild either. I'm surprised the Angels never offered him. I'd be good with a one-year for Moose and a one-year for Hoz.

I can't believe a guy (Mike Moustakas) who hit 38 homers last season and is an above average fielder is going to be unemployed when spring training starts. Why in the world wouldn't the Royals sign him to a one-year contract and then trade him to a contender in the late summer? By the way, I'm 72 years old and I don't believe another 30-year rebuilding program is going to work for me.

Is he repped by Boras?

I doubt it's the Royals not in favor of a one year deal.

Moose rejected the qualifying offer back when he, and every other free agent, believed there would be lucrative multi-year offers elsewhere. He might change his mind now that spring training has started and he is unemployed.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Glass considering selling team.

At the moment, little is publicly known about the personality and priorities of the man who stands to be the next majority owner of the Royals. John Sherman probably prefers it that way.

He made his money in energy, starting and developing two companies in Kansas City that now generate billions in annual revenue. He has been involved in various community organizations here, including the Kauffman Foundation.

He is a longtime Royals fan and was a season ticket-holder before becoming a minority owner of the Cleveland Indians in 2016. He has a suite at Arrowhead Stadium.

Sherman’s discussions with Glass were first reported by The Athletic. It remains unclear if the two sides are close to a deal. Glass will turn 84 next week and has never publicly talked about selling the club or a succession plan. He bought the Royals for $96 million in 2000. Forbes estimated the franchise to be worth $1 billion in April.

But even without a fuller picture of who he is and what he wants — we’ll continue to work on that — if his group is successful in purchasing the Royals from David Glass, it must be seen as good news here.

This is not a “Glass iz cheep” take, either. The Royals have long been limited financially by playing in Major League Baseball’s third-smallest market. Glass has said he operates the club to break even.

He deserves credit for investing heavily in the Royals’ farm system and organizational infrastructure after hiring general manager Dayton Moore in 2006, but the team has always operated in a lower spending sphere than most of its rivals.

Even in 2015, for instance, trades to acquire Johnny Cueto and Ben Zobrist were approved only if they did not add payroll. When the 2016 world championship encore stalled in part because of injuries, the Royals faced a critical decision: go all-in with the last season of the championship core, or trade pieces to jump-start the rebuild.

Glass wouldn’t bump spending, and the front office wanted to win. The result was one foot in each world, with closer Wade Davis traded for outfielder Jorge Soler but the rest of the core brought back in the name of one more run.

But, one more time: The optimism here is not about Glass being out, or based on any assumption of what Sherman’s spending might look like.

This is more about Glass not passing the team down to his son, and the assumption that an investment group headed by Sherman and deep with Kansas City connections will be committed to keeping the team here. Lets do these in order.

Dan Glass had long been thought by some to be the future boss. He took the club president title at his father’s purchase, though in practical terms his role has changed. He developed a reputation for meddling with baseball decisions in the early years, then was less involved, and more recently has served as a respected supervisor of day-to-day operations.

He has not had influence on major baseball decisions for some time and is generally held in higher regard now than when he did. Over the years, the picture of Dan from various sources has been of a well-intentioned man who wants the best for the Royals but would be overmatched as their owner.

That might sound more personal than intended. It’s just business, and the message from many who’ve worked with Dan over the years has been clear: nice enough guy, not ownership material.

The second part is even more important. The Royals have been in Kansas City for half a century. They have been here longer our airport and most of our biggest employers. When Royals Stadium was built at the corner of Interstates 70 and 435, the latter was just four years old. Quinton Lucas, our new mayor, was in diapers when the Royals won their first World Series.

For most of us, the Royals have always been here. It can be easy to assume they always will. But that’s never been guaranteed. Franchises move regularly, particularly when their stadium leases are up, and the discussions of what to do with Kauffman Stadium ahead of the Truman Sports Complex deals expiring in 2031 have begun to take shape.

The Royals aren’t the A’s or the Rays — two franchises that are seemingly in constant rumors of relocation — but they are on that next tier.

Glass’ original directive as board chairman of the Royals in the 1990s was to find an owner who would commit to keeping the team here. He did that, and if he’s intent on paying that forward now, we should all be grateful.

Glass has taken a lot of criticism over the years. Much of it was fair, particularly in the years before he hired Moore.

But if he does indeed sell to a group that’s based in and committed to Kansas City, it will be his most important legacy here — even more than the 2015 parade.

I miss ole' Zissou. I know he used to live up in Joplin. Not sure if he still does or not.

"The Royals have long been limited financially by playing in Major League Baseball’s third-smallest market."

Who decides how the TV markets are sliced up? I've never understood why all of Oklahoma is a Rangers market. Why can't the Royals add Tulsa to their tv market and the Rangers keep OKC?

"The Royals have long been limited financially by playing in Major League Baseball’s third-smallest market."

Who decides how the TV markets are sliced up? I've never understood why all of Oklahoma is a Rangers market. Why can't the Royals add Tulsa to their tv market and the Rangers keep OKC?
Probably the fanbase. Tulsa is overwhelmingly a Cardinals city. We get Rangers games instead of StL because of the way Fox Sports divides up regionally and lumps Oklahoma in with Dallas. Cox does a deal to broadcast all of the Cardinals games (and it's the one thing we missed when we switched to DirectTV).

MU can explain the TV deal better than I. He's gone round and round with Cox for years over picking up Royals games.

Most of the Royals games are broadcast on Cox 1334 or 1333, which is Yur OK and Yur OK Extra. Probably 80% have been televised this year.

Those that have satellite or streaming services though only get KC games as a third option. The Rangers are primary, broadcast on FSOK. The Cardinals are broadcast on FSOK+. Royals games are shown when they don't conflict with Cards games on FSOK+. Seems ridiculous considering KC is geographically the closest major league team to the Tulsa metro.

I’ve decided to form a band called Pine Tar Incident. I know who is on vocals/rhythm guitar and I’m pretty sure a certain bass player will join me doing back up vocals/hype man. Ill need a drummer with less talent than sense and a brooding lead guitarist. Any body else in?

I’ve decided to form a band called Pine Tar Incident. I know who is on vocals/rhythm guitar and I’m pretty sure a certain bass player will join me doing back up vocals/hype man. Ill need a drummer with less talent than sense and a brooding lead guitarist. Any body else in?

What happens when Tony Kornheiser tries to say we can't use PTI as our acronym? Do we take the Vince MacMahon route and change it to PTE, Pine Tar Entertainment????

Last edited:
2 and 0. Can't start any better. 162 and 0? Lol.
This Michael A Taylor dude, has had one heck of a start.
Liking the off season moves made by Dayton.
I think we have a much better roster than 2018, 2019 and 2020.
Lot of young pitching talent in the organization.

Last edited:
Amazed that there seems to be more KC Royals interest than St. Louis Cardinals interest on here.

KC is still in the AL, and miles behind teams like the Astros.

We're making progress on getting better.
The Astros have been good, no doubt.

Signed Zack Grienke to one year deal.
Back to the team he started with.
The guy can still pitch. He's very crafty. He's an interesting guy.
When we traded him to the Brewers, it worked out great with the guys we got from Milwaukee.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Signed Zack Grienke to one year deal.
Back to the team he started with.
The guy can still pitch. He's very crafty. He's an interesting guy.
When we traded him to the Brewers, it worked out great with the guys we got from Milwaukee.
I was hoping the Cardinals would sign him now that Flaherty and Reyes might be out for a while with arm injuries (what else is new?) But for me, he’s back with my 2nd favorite team. I’m more than ready for another Cards/Royals WS.

I was hoping the Cardinals would sign him now that Flaherty and Reyes might be out for a while with arm injuries (what else is new?) But for me, he’s back with my 2nd favorite team. I’m more than ready for another Cards/Royals WS.

I was still living in KC in 85. I went to game one of the WS.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
I was still living in KC in 85. I went to game one of the WS.
Lucky you. I’ve been to few games in KC and St Louis. I’m getting too old and have family obligations keeping me close to home. The last game I attended was St Louis at KC. You can’t beat that.

Reactions: TUMU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT