ADVERTISEMENT

Peach Bowl

Shpuld claim a ncaa fbs championship since none exists.

So is UCF is only team in NCAA D1 to ever have a perfect 14-0 record...

He was better than Mayfeild today....poor gooners
Hahaha. Mayfield was undone by the fact that his OL is terrible against a decent pass rush. They keep talking about how great Orlando Brown is and all I kept seeing was him whiffing on blocks all night and Mayfield getting crushed. It does no good if you’re a 6’7” mountain if you can’t move 1 foot faster than the guy across from you can move 3 yards.

OUs play calling in the 2nd half was atrocious. Mayfield threw that pick and Riley didn’t want to go downfield anymore. And Switzer was probably calling Riley on his cell during the game yelling at him about how to run a damn option

UCF beat a team that was 2-2 against the teams in the playoff! Auburn beat UGA and Alabama and lost second game to UGA (with their top RB hurt) and to Clemson. Good win for AAC.

OUs play calling in the 2nd half was atrocious. Mayfield threw that pick and Riley didn’t want to go downfield anymore.

Exactly. Especially in overtime. Riley was playing not to lose, which he did. He went to the run and very short passes.

Reactions: TUGrad06
Exactly. Especially in overtime. Riley was playing not to lose, which he did. He went to the run and very short passes.
The short underneath stuff really doesn't work against UGA because their LB speed/pursuit is phenomenal. OU needed to stretch the field with Andrews and Lamb and then use Mayfield and the RBs on delays and dumps. The only way to stop Andrews is making sure you run a LB underneath him as well.

I watched the coaches cam. Patterson, Fedora, Applewhite, Holgerson, Bielima and whoever is at the helm of the freak show in Syracuse now. They were hard to understand because they all talked over each other, but they were relentless in their criticism of Riley, especially the squib kick. Applewhite was coming out of his skin over the fact that he had the Heisman trophy winner at QB and didn’t throw into the endzone even one time in overtime. Fedora is a goob, but even he said that OU deserved to lose and it was Riley’s fault.

I'm not really sure why Riley took the ball out of Baker's hands down the stretch. 6 of the last 7 plays were runs.

Don’t disagree on play calling down the stretch but to me if you score 45 in regulation against a D that averaged 15 per game then you did your job. Mike and the D on the other hand, got taken to the woodshed.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
There were some odd calls for sure. I thought the jet sweep was a good play call...but the UGA safety made a crushing wall-like hit. I didn't understand the option plays...and they looked like they had never practiced them before. The RB never got wide enough, Mayfield never turned the ball up to create some space between he and the RB and they essentially made it easy to defend.

The biggest issue...OU's OL was simply atrocious last night. If you watch the replay which I'm sure will be on ESPNU 14 times this week, Brown whiffed and missed so many blocks...he looked like Michael Oher being portrayed in the Blind Side looking like he didn't have a clue.

First time all year I thought Baker was shaken. He's one of the best I've ever seen at keeping his eyes downfield while avoiding the rush. It appeared in the second half he rarely was able to find a receiver while avoiding the rush. On at least on of those sack when he was flushed to the right there's a wide open receiver with his arms up 15 yards down the field. Baker never saw him.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Don’t disagree on play calling down the stretch but to me if you score 45 in regulation against a D that averaged 15 per game then you did your job. Mike and the D on the other hand, got taken to the woodshed.
I think the criticism of the play calling is the late 4th quarter and OT aspect. It looked like Riley went uber-conservative and got a little gun shy after Baker's INT

First time all year I thought Baker was shaken. He's one of the best I've ever seen at keeping his eyes downfield while avoiding the rush. It appeared in the second half he rarely was able to find a receiver while avoiding the rush. On at least on of those sack when he was flushed to the right there's a wide open receiver with his arms up 15 yards down the field. Baker never saw him.
Yep. He is usually unflappable.

And everyone is harping on the squib kick at the end of the 1st half. 75% of coaches probably make the same decision.

It will be interesting to see where UCF fits in the final rankings. My guess is 1) champion, 2) loser if it's close, or OU if Ga wins and its not close; Clemson if Bama wins and it's not close, 3) OU or loser, 4) UCF 5) Clemson.

First time he hasn’t played against a high school defense.

Tough to get that wide open throw when the corners are bigger and faster than your receivers.

Tough to get that wide open throw when the corners are bigger and faster than your receivers.

Georgia gave up 48 points and over 500 yards. Both Texas and Iowa State defended OU better imo.

After watching how badly Auburn struggled against UCF at times yesterday, it came to me that the real reason all of the SEC defenses appear so great is because all of the offenses are just terrible and non-imaginative. Even Auburn plays the physical ground and pound versus the wide open spread Gus would like to play more often. Once Milton got his legs under him yesterday, UCF gouged Auburn for some big plays until they sat on it to run the clock out. Auburn didn't really do anything special until UCF sat back to keep everything in front. Georgia's defense didn't do anything special until Riley went conservative with the play calling. OU pretty much had their way with Georgia in the 1st half, and only when Riley tried to run the clock out starting in the 3rd quarter, did Georgia start having success on that side of the ball.

And anyone wanting to point to Alabama's performance against Clemson last night...Clemson's offense is not very good this year. Bama made a concerted effort to bring a ton of pressure against Bryant who is still a young QB and not even close to the talent that DeShaun Watson is.

Riley's play calling was the reason they didn't win. That and that ous defense couldn't tackle to save their lives. At least half of the plays should've been RPO with Baker. You give the ball to your most dynamic player.

Riley's play calling was the reason they didn't win. That and that ous defense couldn't tackle to save their lives. At least half of the plays should've been RPO with Baker. You give the ball to your most dynamic player.
I can’t believe I am agreeing with you on this

Final poll.

1. Bama
2. UGA
3. OU
4. Ohio st
5. UCF
I'm expecting Wisconsin will be #5, especially after Frost's sacrilegious quotes after the bowl game. They must put UCF/American in their place, and self justify their rankings.

Last edited:
Georgia gave up 48 points and over 500 yards. Both Texas and Iowa State defended OU better imo.

7 offensive points after the half.

Their left tackle got owned by the pass rush. Totally new scheme after the half. The offensive line play was slow and didn’t keep up with the pressure. If Georgia had played like that in the first half it would have been game over.

After watching how badly Auburn struggled against UCF at times yesterday, it came to me that the real reason all of the SEC defenses appear so great is because all of the offenses are just terrible and non-imaginative. Even Auburn plays the physical ground and pound versus the wide open spread Gus would like to play more often. Once Milton got his legs under him yesterday, UCF gouged Auburn for some big plays until they sat on it to run the clock out. Auburn didn't really do anything special until UCF sat back to keep everything in front. Georgia's defense didn't do anything special until Riley went conservative with the play calling. OU pretty much had their way with Georgia in the 1st half, and only when Riley tried to run the clock out starting in the 3rd quarter, did Georgia start having success on that side of the ball.

And anyone wanting to point to Alabama's performance against Clemson last night...Clemson's offense is not very good this year. Bama made a concerted effort to bring a ton of pressure against Bryant who is still a young QB and not even close to the talent that DeShaun Watson is.

Ground n pound wins championships.

Ground n pound wins championships.
Only reason Bama made the CFP is because of the false narrative that the SEC is so great. The offenses are awful

Reactions: TU 1978
Only reason Bama made the CFP is because of the false narrative that the SEC is so great. The offenses are awful

At the risk of sounding old...

Defense wins championships.

Defense on both sides of the ball. A grinding, pounding, clock eating, boring offense is the best defense any team can have...

Reactions: TUMe
At the risk of sounding old...

Defense wins championships.

Defense on both sides of the ball. A grinding, pounding, clock eating, boring offense is the best defense any team can have...
That is true BUT, OU found out that you can't change to that in overtime of a semifinal and expect to win.

That is true BUT, OU found out that you can't change to that in overtime of a semifinal and expect to win.

That game was over before the OT. Oklahoma limped into it. Georgia clearly had momentum on their side.

Georgia changed defenses, shut down the deep routes and made baker run for his life. Georgia tackled with a physical ferocity and big 12 teams don’t have Enough testosterone to stack up.

OU got lucky in OT when the offsides called back the int. their o line got owned in the OT.

That game was over before the OT. Oklahoma limped into it. Georgia clearly had momentum on their side.

Georgia changed defenses, shut down the deep routes and made baker run for his life. Georgia tackled with a physical ferocity and big 12 teams don’t have Enough testosterone to stack up.

OU got lucky in OT when the offsides called back the int. their o line got owned in the OT.
And now Brown is turning pro. Kiper has rated him as the 3rd best OT in the draft. I’m going to say he ends up being a bust. His footwork is downright terrible. He is slow and plodding and guys like Chandler Jones, Von Miller, JJ Watt, and Jadaveon Clooney will absolutely make him look silly. He whiffed a ton of blocks the other night.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShaneB72
And now Brown is turning pro. Killer has rated him as the 3rd best OT in the draft. I’m going to say he ends up being a bust. His footwork is downright terrible. He is slow and plodding and guys like Chandler Jones, Von Miller, JJ Watt, and Jadaveon Clooney will absolutely make him look silly. He whiffed a ton of blocks the other night.

There are no KU’s at the next level.

Even the Browns are stacked with talent.

Agree. They had 3rd and 2 in OT, went for it on the ground, didnt get it and then didnt go for the 4th and 1 and kicked instead, despite a shaky special teams performance. Not only does that concede that you recognize that your O-Line is getting owned and cant be depended upon to get a yard, but it also confesses a lack of recognition that your defense was getting toasted. Riley tried to play the averages. He came up short. Anyone with a brain could see that. To quote one of the guys on the Shutdown Fullcast: "This game was over when OU shifted left for no apparent reason, the true freshman QB announced to millions of people that he was changing the play to the right, and Stoops did nothing to stop a 70 yard TD run, despite the linebacker standing all alone shouting ICEBERG!"

Obviously, under those circumstances you don't want to go for it on 4th down in OT and turn the game over to your defense again.

Hiring a young coach has lots of positives. We saw a few of the negatives the other night.

Bama and Georgia will battle for 5th place in the Cracker Bowl.

Touchy subject: Noble gits to talk about his barely subterfuged lovelife for OU football. Resistance is not futile. ;0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT