ADVERTISEMENT

osu, what to expect?

Maybe OSU being a 17 point favorite or ranked in the top 10 in the country or recent history between the two schools? Team's aren't usually multi touchdown favs without some tangible advantages on the field
I'm just curious, I guess I didn't know, but are you a Tulsa or OSU fan? Not bashing at all, just wasn't for sure who you are cheering for. I just assumed you were a TU fan, but you seem to really like OSU, like I said, not bashing you at all, just didn't know who you are for in this game

Last edited:
I'm just curious, I guess I didn't know, but are you a Tulsa or OSU fan? Not bashing at all, just wasn't for sure who you are cheering for.

OSU undergrad. TU law. My wife is a TU grad as well. I'm a fan of both.

Bash away :). I take heat at times for my OSU ties on this board and likewise take heat on the OSU board for my TU ties.

OSU has a huge advantage in this game at the most important position. They won't have that same advantage next time these teams matchup.

Last edited:
OSU undergrad. TU law. My wife is a TU grad as well. I'm a fan of both.

Bash away :). I take heat at times for my OSU ties on this board and likewise take heat on the OSU board for my TU ties.

OSU has a huge advantage in this game at the most important position. They won't have that same advantage next time these teams matchup.
Gotcha! :) Always good to know more people in my opinion! I work on power lines and it's always good to know more people !

Gotcha! :) Always good to know more people in my opinion! I work on power lines and it's always good to know more people !

I give it up to you guys. Takes guts to work on those things and you're out there during the worst possible weather.

Don't be too dissappointed if TU does lose by 17. OSU is going to beat some good teams by double digits this year if they stay healthy. I'm a huge fan of Monty. I do expect some rough spots this year with a new QB however. It is what it is when you start a green QB.

I give it up to you guys. Takes guts to work on those things and you're out there during the worst possible weather.

Don't be too dissappointed if TU does lose by 17. OSU is going to beat some good teams by double digits this year if they stay healthy. I'm a huge fan of Monty. I do expect some rough spots this year with a new QB however. It is what it is when you start a green QB.
As long as the qb last name is NOT Green, I'm fine with that!

Maybe OSU being a 17 point favorite or ranked in the top 10 in the country or recent history between the two schools? Team's aren't usually multi touchdown favs without some tangible advantages on the field

17 point favorite at home isn't indicative of having the advantage at every position group on the field.

17 point favorite at home isn't indicative of having the advantage at every position group on the field.
But just to be safe, you will go ahead and bring around 20k OU fans cheering for the Cane that night right ? :)

But just to be safe, you will go ahead and bring around 20k OU fans cheering for the Cane that night right ? :)

Hah I plan on being there and reppin the Cane! I'm sure there will be plenty of people cheering for Tulsa in the building. It should be a great Thursday night of football between two very good teams.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Hah I plan on being there and reppin the Cane! I'm sure there will be plenty of people cheering for Tulsa in the building. It should be a great Thursday night of football between two very good teams.
The outcome of this game imo will be depending on 2 things, our QB play, and if our secondary can limit their Wrs. Like you said , TU has the advantage up front, and very dangerous Rbs and Wrs , I'm not saying OSU is bad at all, they are really good, I just don't quite understand the #10 ranking. They were in some close games with very average opponents . ( Iowa State, Central Michigan) and of course you guys do what OU always does to them. So I'm with you on that. Hopefully I don't get proved wrong on that haha

There always a chance for an upset, but, if OSU plays a good game I think we win comfortably, if we don't it could get harry. Our guys are not going to take you lightly, we are a team this year that several expert are predicting to be a possible playoff team, so we have a good combination of talent and experience

The outcome of this game imo will be depending on 2 things, our QB play, and if our secondary can limit their Wrs. Like you said , TU has the advantage up front, and very dangerous Rbs and Wrs , I'm not saying OSU is bad at all, they are really good, I just don't quite understand the #10 ranking. They were in some close games with very average opponents . ( Iowa State, Central Michigan) and of course you guys do what OU always does to them. So I'm with you on that. Hopeour fully I don't get proved wrong on that haha
I don't think you guys will have an advantage up front on either side of the ball, OSU really only has one question mark heading into fall camp and that is CB, and the question is not if have good players its that our coaches have not seen them in much game situations, but Adrian Baker would have been the starting CB for Clemson last year had he not been injured and then we have 4 younger CB who they really like but are short on experience.....this is the first year we are solid across the board.........it will be interesting to see your WRs against our boundary corner........and I want to see how our DEs do against your OL

I don't think you guys will have an advantage up front on either side of the ball, OSU really only has one question mark heading into fall camp and that is CB, and the question is not if have good players its that our coaches have not seen them in much game situations, but Adrian Baker would have been the starting CB for Clemson last year had he not been injured and then we have 4 younger CB who they really like but are short on experience.....this is the first year we are solid across the board.........it will be interesting to see your WRs against our boundary corner........and I want to see how our DEs do against your OL
We will definitely have an advantage up front with our OL, they are one of the best groups in the country, I watch OSU football as well, no way your dline is better. OSU may win , but it's not going to be how you guys think it will be, we have one of the best offenses in the country, new qb or not, this is not the same 2010 or 2011 Tulsa team you think it is.You may want to take off those orange sunglasses, because when you say you will dominate our Oline, it makes you look like you have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShaneB72
We will definitely have an advantage up front with our OL, they are one of the best groups in the country, I watch OSU football as well, no way your dline is better. OSU may win , but it's not going to be how you guys think it will be, we have one of the best offenses in the country, new qb or not, this is not the same 2010 or 2011 Tulsa team you think it is.You may want to take off those orange sunglasses, because when you say you will dominate our Oline, it makes you look like you have no idea what you are talking about.
DL will be one of our strengths, your OL was decent but the DLs they went up against aside from Ohio st ( which they did not perform well against, but who does?) were not anything special......as I said it will be interesting...........with the spread offenses its really difficult to "dominate" a good OL, but we will not be pushed around, and should be able to get some pressure..........With the skill guys you lost I just can't see them being near as good, it will be like us next year losing Rudolph, Washington, Ateman, lacey...ect, we have a bunch of really talented younger guys to take their place, but there will still be a drop off initially

DL will be one of our strengths, your OL was decent but the DLs they went up against aside from Ohio st ( which they did not perform well against, but who does?) were not anything special......as I said it will be interesting...........with the spread offenses its really difficult to "dominate" a good OL, but we will not be pushed around, and should be able to get some pressure..........With the skill guys you lost I just can't see them being near as good, it will be like us next year losing Rudolph, Washington, Ateman, lacey...ect, we have a bunch of really talented younger guys to take their place, but there will still be a drop off initially
I hate to tell you this ( I really do not like Ohio St) but you guys are nowhere close to them. Neither is OU, hence Ohio State beating them soundly in Norman. We may have lost some guys but we have others ready to go. I'm not going to say we have people better then Keevan Lucas right now ( we do have his brother though ) but we have plenty stepping up that will do fine against OSU. And as far as Ohio State goes , our Oline did fine against them, our problem there was we could not finish drives.

Don't get me wrong though, I hope OU beats them ( I cheer for all the Oklahoma teams if they aren't playing Tulsa) but Ohio State is in a whole other level.It was 6-3 with 2 min left in the half, until we threw 2 pick sixes , ( that will kill any momentum) and from there it land slided. Not making excuses , but if you seen the storm blow in right before half, that had a little to do with it, not saying we would have won, but 6-3 at half looks alot better then 20-3

I hate to tell you this ( I really do not like Ohio St) but you guys are nowhere close to them. Neither is OU, hence Ohio State beating them soundly in Norman. We may have lost some guys but we have others ready to go. I'm not going to say we have people better then Keevan Lucas right now ( we do have his brother though ) but we have plenty stepping up that will do fine against OSU. And as far as Ohio State goes , our Oline did fine against them, our problem there was we could not finish drives.
No offense but 188 yards and 1.6 ypc is not a good performance...........BTW I never said we were as good as Ohio state last year

No offense but 188 yards and 1.6 ypc is not a good performance...........BTW I never said we were as good as Ohio state last year
That's my point , you are comparing one game against a team that is nothing like you

As soon as the weather made it clear that we weren't going to be able to loosen them up with the deep threat in the second half, we panicked, gambled, and beat ourselves at OSU. OSU could have beat us in the second half, but we will never know. We gave that game away, top to bottom, as an organization. It's one of the reasons I'm not as high on Monty as others (I still have very positive things to say about him). Monty needs to win with his players and he needs to prove that his version of the Baylor offense can be counted on to generate points production against OOC Top 25 competition.

As for the game this year, if OSU commits turnovers we will outscore them. If they don't, they win. They are at home with an experienced QB. The probability of winning with that formula, regardless of opponent, in college football is astronomical. It's why there is betting line. People need an incentive to bet because the best QB usually wins.

He is probably more mobile than Mason, although he runs decent, he is just so big he doesn't look like it
Rudolph is sneaky elusive back there. A little like Baker Mayfield in that regard where you think you have him and somehow he sneaks out. IMO Rudolph's arm talent is better than Mayfield's. OSU doesn't have the same OL OU has nor the depth at RB or WR that OU usually has. And then there is Alexander who is a 1st rd NFL pick. Throw in OSU's propensity to lose to teams like CMU and Rudolph doesn't get the same hype Mayfield gets although his skill set may be better.

As an OSU fan I just don't feel that we close games very efficiently, the Vegas odds may be OSU by 17, but Lord knows that likely won't happen. I doubt Mason shines, but he won't falter. I say OSU by 1 maybe 2 scores, just because I'm an OSU fan.

Reactions: theSeanDon
As an OSU fan I just don't feel that we close games very efficiently, the Vegas odds may be OSU by 17, but Lord knows that likely won't happen. I doubt Mason shines, but he won't falter. I say OSU by 1 maybe 2 scores, just because I'm an OSU fan.
That's actually a pretty reasonable prediction. Of course I'm hoping TU will pull it out , this game has the making to be a pretty good game if our QB is ready, if not, it could get ugly quick

That's actually a pretty reasonable prediction. Of course I'm hoping TU will pull it out , this game has the making to be a pretty good game if our QB is ready, if not, it could get ugly quick
I'm hoping we don't come down to the 4th quarter because even though Oklahoma State seems to come out with those tight games most of the time, Mason's QBR drops from a 175.0 in the 1st quarter to a 138.0 in the 4th, so Oklahoma State's best chance is to come out firing.

That's either a lack of physical conditioning by your line, a lack of mental conditioning by your QB, or poor coaching. Which is it?

My sense is that it is poor coaching and flaws in your offense gaming structure. Your team lacks depth in the defensive area, so as the game goes on and the teams are wearing each other out, the offense is dialed down to give your defense a chance to rest. This in turn effects offensive production because your system is based less on exploiting talent mismatches, but on tempo and taking advantage of defense misalignment and lack of substitution caused by quick snap. When things slow down, the mistakes are corrected and they get the right person in and your QB isn't quite as efficient. It isnt that your players are good, it is what they are doing and how they do it that is good. When that changes in the fourth quarter, you lose your advantage, your production, and sometimes the game. OSU doesnt have top 10 talent but has the ability to play at a Top 10 level under certain circumstnaces. This is why people coast to coast get annoyed when OSU fans insist the Aggies are a Top 10 program.

And that's why I think it will be a shoot out with the team with the least mistakes will win. Every major program Tulsa has played during the Malzahn era and especially the Montgomery era has stated that they play an up tempo no huddle style but they were not adequately prepared for the tempo of Tulsa. Stoops always bitched about it. Urban Meyer made comments in his presser last year that he feared the game in Columbus might get out of control if the defensive coaches and players didnt adapt to what Tulsa was doing. They didnt, but the weather changed the game in their favor. In short, OSU has to run tempo for their offense to work. We will run any program into the ground, not matter how athletically gifted or conditioned. At a certain point, your team will break. The only question is whether the score will be close enough at that point for it to make a difference. If TU takes care of the ball and continues to be able to get 7 and 8 yards a rush against playoff caliber defenses like last year, then OSU had better worry.

Last edited:
I for one am excited to show OSU what a seasoned OL looks like with the backs we have coming at them. I will see some of you in Stillwater.

That's either a lack of physical conditioning by your line, a lack of mental conditioning by your QB, or poor coaching. Which is it?

My sense is that it is poor coaching and flaws in your offense gaming structure. Your team lacks depth in the defensive area, so as the game goes on and the teams are wearing each other out, the offense is dialed down to give your defense a chance to rest. This in turn effects offensive production because your system is based less on exploiting talent mismatches, but on tempo and taking advantage of defense misalignment and lack of substitution caused by quick snap. When things slow down, the mistakes are corrected and they get the right person in and your QB isn't quite as efficient. It isnt that your players are good, it is what they are doing and how they do it that is good. When that changes in the fourth quarter, you lose your advantage, your production, and sometimes the game. OSU doesnt have top 10 talent but has the ability to play at a Top 10 level under certain circumstnaces. This is why people coast to coast get annoyed when OSU fans insist the Aggies are a Top 10 program.

And that's why I think it will be a shoot out with the team with the least mistakes will win. Every major program Tulsa has played during the Malzahn era and especially the Montgomery era has stated that they play an up tempo no huddle style but they were not adequately prepared for the tempo of Tulsa. Stoops always bitched about it. Urban Meyer made comments in his presser last year that he feared the game in Columbus might get out of control if the defensive coaches and players didnt adapt to what Tulsa was doing. They didnt, but the weather changed the game in their favor. In short, OSU has to run tempo for their offense to work. We will run any program into the ground, not matter how athletically gifted or conditioned. At a certain point, your team will break. The only question is whether the score will be close enough at that point for it to make a difference. If TU takes care of the ball and continues to be able to get 7 and 8 yards a rush against playoff caliber defenses like last year, then OSU had better worry.

You've spent too much time with the paint fumes, Huffy. I realize you get annoyed with any talk of the "Aggies" being decent. Finishing last season at #11 and being ranked there again this preseason means someone thinks the Cowboys are close to a Top 10. But I sincerely have never heard any OSU fans insist we are at Top 10 program....maybe a Top 20 hopeful. While improving we have never consistently recruited well enough to be a Top 10 program. You and your Cane fans are awfully confident about OSU having major flaws and falling apart late in games....and after being pounded by an 8 yd/carry TU rushing attack the Pokes defense "will break". Most OSU fans aren't "worried" but we consider TU a valued opponent and Montgomery a talented coach. We certainly don't expect the same game as the last time TU visited BPS (9-18-10), when the Cane entered our record book in the #1 slot for most all-purpose yards gained against (920)! We'll see what happens in a little over three weeks.

You've spent too much time with the paint fumes, Huffy. I realize you get annoyed with any talk of the "Aggies" being decent. Finishing last season at #11 and being ranked there again this preseason means someone thinks the Cowboys are close to a Top 10. But I sincerely have never heard any OSU fans insist we are at Top 10 program....maybe a Top 20 hopeful. While improving we have never consistently recruited well enough to be a Top 10 program. You and your Cane fans are awfully confident about OSU having major flaws and falling apart late in games....and after being pounded by an 8 yd/carry TU rushing attack the Pokes defense "will break". Most OSU fans aren't "worried" but we consider TU a valued opponent and Montgomery a talented coach. We certainly don't expect the same game as the last time TU visited BPS (9-18-10), when the Cane entered our record book in the #1 slot for most all-purpose yards gained against (920)! We'll see what happens in a little over three weeks.
good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you-com-14247230.png

That's my point , you are comparing one game against a team that is nothing like you
I was not comparing us to Ohio State I was pointing out that your "great "OL only played against one good DL was stuffed. You can run (and pass) all you want against the SMU's and Tulane's of the world, but that no way means you will do that against OSU, especially with an inexperienced QB

We've thrown at will against OU with several different QBs of varying experience with piece meal OLs over the past 10 years. Throwing the ball for yardage won't be the problem. Throwing interceptions and sacks while he waits for the coverage to break down will be the worries, if any.

There are a few worries imo:

1) Will the inexperienced QB be able to go through his progressions and how quickly will that occur

2) Will he make the correct reads

3) Will he adjust to the speed of the game

4) How will he be effected by pressure (both of the D line and the situation)

5) Will he be patient and not force the ball

You don't really know these answers until a kid is under fire.

Reactions: HuffyCane
We've thrown at will against OU with several different QBs of varying experience with piece meal OLs over the past 10 years. Throwing the ball for yardage won't be the problem. Throwing interceptions and sacks while he waits for the coverage to break down will be the worries, if any.

So do you know yet who QB1 will be, President, Skipper or Gilligan? Sounds like you have nothing to be concerned with, Gilligan could throw for 300.

So do you know yet who QB1 will be, President, Skipper or Gilligan? Sounds like you have nothing to be concerned with, Gilligan could throw for 300.
I can't speak to whether there is a Gilligan, but all of our student-athletes can be a Professor in a few years if that is what they want to be, unlike any of yours.

Not Huffy but I am going on record as saying both will play against osu. I think a lot of people are underselling president's passing ability.
I have a friend who's son was a walk on QB at Tulsa, he left after last season due to concussions, but he said that President in a real good athlete, but terrible QB, he said he would be a wr anywhere else, now has he improved?

I have a friend who's son was a walk on QB at Tulsa, he left after last season due to concussions, but he said that President in a real good athlete, but terrible QB, he said he would be a wr anywhere else, now has he improved?

I think he has made strides from the clips I have seen. He isn't going to be a pure pocket passer, but his athleticism is special.

What did your friend's son say about Skipper?

President will start. Both will play unless something crazy happens and TU keeps a lead in the range of 3-4 touchdowns into the second half without Skipper coming in. Monty has shown a tendency to stay conservative with those types of score lines. Skippers problem isn't the arm or the coverage, he struggles with terminology and pre-snap reads.

I think he has made strides from the clips I have seen. He isn't going to be a pure pocket passer, but his athleticism is special.

What did your friend's son say about Skipper?
Never asked him about Skipper , the only TUqb I knew off top of my head was President at the time

I was not comparing us to Ohio State I was pointing out that your "great "OL only played against one good DL was stuffed. You can run (and pass) all you want against the SMU's and Tulane's of the world, but that no way means you will do that against OSU, especially with an inexperienced QB
We don't just move the ball well against the Tulane's of the world . Ask OU how bad that offense is. Oklahoma State would have got shut down by Ohio State as well, heck look what they did to OU! BTW, what was Oklahoma State doing that weekend? Oh ya, getting beat by Central Michigan who TU clobbered effortlessly.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU Pilot
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT