ADVERTISEMENT

osu, what to expect?

You gave up 200 yds per game rushing last year in a pass happy conference.

That's more of a perception. OSU played nine conference opponents last season. Five of those nine ranked in the top 25 in the country in rushing offense. There's not another conference in the country where half of its members rank in the top 25 rushing offenses. Six of OSU's twelve opponents ranked in the top 30 nationally.

Ok well they were 92 in the country in total defense. My point is let's not pretend like they are something that they haven't proven to be. OSU was an average defense in an average P5 league last year. I'll take my chances if you just want to line up and play D.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Anything can happen in college football, never say never on anything, but the odds are OSU will win comfortably......OSU has an advantage at every position..........WE will give up points, with both playing up tempo, each offense is going to have a high number of possessions.......but, I think the OSU defense will have a much better day against the Tulsa offense than vice versa..............now, if we go out and put the ball on the ground 5 times, then anything can happen, but we are not known for doing that

Anything can happen in college football, never say never on anything, but the odds are OSU will win comfortably......OSU has an advantage at every position..........WE will give up points, with both playing up tempo, each offense is going to have a high number of possessions.......but, I think the OSU defense will have a much better day against the Tulsa offense than vice versa..............now, if we go out and put the ball on the ground 5 times, then anything can happen, but we are not known for doing that
What odds are you talking about?

Ok well they were 92 in the country in total defense. My point is let's not pretend like they are something that they haven't proven to be. OSU was an average defense in an average P5 league last year. I'll take my chances if you just want to line up and play D.

I was actually a bit surprised when I saw those conference rushing stats. I still think in the end OSU will want to make Skipper beat them. Hell...I've never coached or played at the college level but I would take my chances with a 1st year QB throwing the ball around against me. TU will want to run the ball and use that success to open things up for Skipper. OSU's hasn't had what I would call a good defense in some time. Playing against Big12 offenses obviously doesn't help but they need to put a better product on the defensive side of the ball if they're going to justify their top 10 national ranking.

Look, I don't have anything against OSU, heck I cheer for them if they aren't playing TU, but the odds point to this being a lot closer game then what OSU thinks it's going to be, TU has one of the best oline units in the country, an average OSU defensive line isn't going to dominate them

What odds are you talking about?
Both teams are well coached but the talent difference is pretty substantial, and playing in Stillwater (2010 was not real competitive, neither was 2011 in Tulsa) and yes you do have a better coach than back then, but, Tulsa is predicted to be a good team in a non P5 conference, and OSU is predicted to be a possibly great team in a P5 conference.... as little respect as you guys get in state, we usually get that same little respect nationally, so when we are predicted to be good, we usually are

Vegas doesn't win games, players do
Why would you think our players would not want to go out and win this game? We were very young last year and learned a lot, we also dominated some pretty good teams a long the way............

I still think in the end OSU will want to make Skipper beat them. Hell...I've never coached or played at the college level but I would take my chances with a 1st year QB throwing the ball around against me. TU will want to run the ball and use that success to open things up for Skipper.

Completely agree.

That's always the idea. But I doubt it stays that way. If we can't win in the run game with a hat for a hat then we aren't who I thought we were. Even "the OSU" cheated the force guy into the box on certain downs. That's where the RPO comes into play and we better be able to make u pay.

Every DC in America wants to play straight up and make you beat them the long way, problem is when u start breaking off chunk yardage in simple run plays and then you have to decide what to defend. That's when our young QB and WRs need to answer the bell. If they do it'll be an interesting game.
This. "the OSU" had to defend nearly the entire field because of Dane's arm. That spread them out and they had to bring help on certain downs to stop the run when our big boys couldn't be pushed around one v one and we were moving the ball much to their surprise. We spread them out a lot farther than they were comfortable with and they couldn't exploit that space by beating our blocking one v one. I'll go to my grave thinking that game was winnable but the weather turned and we gambled early and came up snake eyes.

President has not shown anything yet that makes me believe his arm is a threat - much less a threat 20+ yards on the field side. If they don't respect the arm, that limits the effectiveness of the RPO. You might as well have AJ Whitmore back there. Their base may not be a nine front, but it could be by the end.

Dane was a heck of a QB ( yes we recruited him pretty hard for a while) I am glad we don;t have to face him............

Also this. Our backs and receivers are Big 12 quality. We have enough talent on the line to scheme the time and the gaps to get the ball to them in plus situations, even if some of the matchups one v one favor the OSU defensive line. The only question is whether we gotta kid that can get the ball to them and avoid mistakes. If so, we have a chance to outscore them and win. On Tulsa's best day (judging by recent history) OSU can't stop our offense and TU won't be able to stop their offense. If our QB is legit and they make a few mistakes, this game is winnable at like 63-56.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Why would you think our players would not want to go out and win this game? We were very young last year and learned a lot, we also dominated some pretty good teams a long the way............
Where in that post does it suggest I ever said anything like that? And as far as the " P5 statement, our 5th place team beat the big 12 champion last year.. js

This game reminds me a lot of the '87 opener. TJ started his first game as a true Freshman and we went toe to toe with the Pokes for most of the game, eventually falling 39-28. Our biggest problem was being unable to tackle some unknown kid named Sanders on kickoff returns.

That being said, we haven't won in Stillwater since 1951. Maybe we're due?

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
Only
This game reminds me a lot of the '87 opener. TJ started his first game as a true Freshman and we went toe to toe with the Pokes for most of the game, eventually falling 39-28. Our biggest problem was being unable to tackle some unknown kid named Sanders on kickoff returns.
only this time they don't have Sanders, but it doesn't matter, because according to CowboyintheUK they should just hand OSU the national championship because they are all superstars at every single position, and TU probably shouldn't even show up because we lost anybody good last year lol

I hope fans aren't expecting Skipper to be TJ. I've seen some what I consider unrealistic expectations for a guy playing his first college football game on the road against a top 10 team who is our worst matchup of the season.

I hope fans aren't expecting Skipper to be TJ. I've seen some what I consider unrealistic expectations for a guy playing his first college football game on the road against a top 10 team who is our worst matchup of the season.
I don't think people really think he will be like that his 1st game, but I think people think if we can establish a run game, that will open up opportunities for him to make some plays.

Only
only this time they don't have Sanders, but it doesn't matter, because according to CowboyintheUK they should just hand OSU the national championship because they are all superstars at every single position, and TU probably shouldn't even show up because we lost anybody good last year lol
Where have I said all that? OSU does seem to have an advantage at every position, that does not mean it will play out that way, but odds are OSU will win comfortably.........What position group do you see Tulsa having an advantage? As I have said, as dynamic as your offense is, points will be scored, but I just don't see you keeping up, and I think the OSU defense will be pretty good............

Where have I said all that? OSU does seem to have an advantage at every position, that does not mean it will play out that way, but odds are OSU will win comfortably.........What position group do you see Tulsa having an advantage? As I have said, as dynamic as your offense is, points will be scored, but I just don't see you keeping up, and I think the OSU defense will be pretty good............
I'm messing with you dude lol, I think our oline has the advantage over your dline and I think our receivers our better then your secondary , and you guys have the same advantages the other way imo

Tulsa Rising is pretty new here. Let's give him a break until he settles down a little bit.

I'm messing with you dude lol, I think our oline has the advantage over your dline and I think our receivers our better then your secondary , and you guys have the same advantages the other way imo

I think our DL will be pretty strong, the wrs vs. our secondary will be interesting, our safeties are one of the best pairs in the Big-12 but our CBs, although talented and athletic are fairly untested......interesting to see how Adrian Baker does, ( grad transfer CB from Clemson) he was a part time starter at Clemson, and the projected starter going into their spring game last year where he was injured.I know our coaches were happy enough with our young CBs ( and Baker) this summer that they have moved our top CB from the spring to full time Nickle back

I think our DL will be pretty strong, the wrs vs. our secondary will be interesting, our safeties are one of the best pairs in the Big-12 but our CBs, although talented and athletic are fairly untested.......I know our coaches were happy enough with our young CBs ( and Baker) this summer that they have moved our top CB from the spring to full time Nickle back
Cool, off topic here, but I do hope you guys smoke ou and that loud mouth qb of theirs, one thing I will say about OSU is I do like their fans alot better then OUs

Cool, off topic here, but I do hope you guys smoke ou and that loud mouth qb of theirs, one thing I will say about OSU is I do like their fans alot better then OUs
To be honest, you guys are my second favorite ( obviously behind OSU).....my doctors son was a walkon QB for you guys , he had to quit due to injuries,

To be honest, you guys are my second favorite ( obviously behind OSU).....my doctors son was a walkon QB for you guys , he had to quit due to injuries,
It's hard for me not to like OSU, I feel like gundy is a class act as well as Mason Rudolph, but Baker Mayfield can be cocky.

It's hard for me not to like OSU, I feel like gundy is a class act as well as Mason Rudolph, but Baker Mayfield can be cocky.
I just hate, or I should say strongly dislike everything OU..........will be interesting to see how Lincoln Riley does.........it sure took him a while to work out that when they had two rbs like they did that maybe they should run the ball

I just hate, or I should say strongly dislike everything OU..........will be interesting to see how Lincoln Riley does.........it sure took him a while to work out that when they had two rbs like they did that maybe they should run the ball
Might not be good for Mike, I remember when we played their a couple of years ago, we put 38 on them, that was our 1st year under Montgomery, OU had better athletes obviously but we're horribly coached on defense and we had our way with them, unfortunately we had one of the worst defenses at that time and gave up 52.

Also me and some buddies are going up the night before the ball game, suggest any hotels or restaurants? I'm a big BBQ fan

Also me and some buddies are going up the night before the ball game, suggest any hotels or restaurants? I'm a big BBQ fan
Bad Brad's is pretty good, thats where we eat BBQ , its on East 6th (Hwy 51)......there are so many new hotels I wouldn't know where to recomend

Bad Brad's is pretty good, thats where we eat BBQ , its on East 6th (Hwy 51)......there are so many new hotels I wouldn't know where to recomend
Was trying to get close enough to be able to walk to the stadium, Microtell is like $150 a night! I could go to the Hilton down the road cheaper then that!

They really up the prices on game days. Microtell is only about a half mile from the stadium and there as several restaurants right there, Rib Cribb, Chilis , Red Lobster, Chilpote,

Not our worst matchup of the season. They kind of remind me of Memphis last year. Great offense that might be surprised by the quality of our defensive linemen. Also they aren't tremendous up the middle on defense.

I think our worst matchup is Navy. Our defense is constructed to bend but not break and to force turnovers by getting after the QB and forcing him to make poor decisions throwing the ball. That's hard to do when the opponent likes to go down the field 3.5 yards at a time mostly on the ground.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT