ADVERTISEMENT

osu, what to expect?

aTUfan

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Apr 18, 2011
la la land
expectations for us and them?

We are breaking in a new QB, replacing half of the RB tandem, hoping for an improved defense.

What is new for osu? are they on a roll, replacing crucial parts?

OSU will be a top 10 team when they meet TU in Stillwater. TU will face one of the if not the best receiving group in the country. This group along with Mason Rudolph is the clear strength of the team. Hill's a good running back but they are unproven and young behind him.

Defense lost a lot in the secondary and interior D Line. OSU is counting on a senior corner transfer from Clemson to help fill some of the holes. Interior D line will be young. D ends are talented and experienced However, there's very little depth behind the starters.

Summary. OSU will likely be the best team TU faces in 2017. Their offense is loaded. Defense is the weakness and will need to be expoloited for TU to have a shot as OSU is going to put up a lot of points.

I was never really all that impressed with Oklahoma State last year so I think the hype to start this year may be a little overblown.

They were outplayed by CMU, whether that last play should have counted or not. They also had to mount some pretty furious comebacks to beat some pretty average to below average teams last year.

I think 2016 Tulsa would have had a really good shot at beating 2016 OSU. I also think 2017 Tulsa will have a really good shot at beating 2017 OSU.

I was never really all that impressed with Oklahoma State last year so I think the hype to start this year may be a little overblown.

They were outplayed by CMU, whether that last play should have counted or not. They also had to mount some pretty furious comebacks to beat some pretty average to below average teams last year.

I think 2016 Tulsa would have had a really good shot at beating 2016 OSU. I also think 2017 Tulsa will have a really good shot at beating 2017 OSU.
I think Tulsa at the end of 2017 would have a great shot at beating 2017 OSU. As our team is now, I think 2016 would have a better shot.

After watching film of osu , I feel that if Tulsa comes to play and our oline gives Skipper time, we win a close one

The line battles will be interesting, OSU should be able to generate a strong pass rush, and hopefully control both little lines.

The line battles will be interesting, OSU should be able to generate a strong pass rush, and hopefully control both little lines.
OSU will obviously have the advantage, TU will have to play above their heads to get the win as OSU seems to be very stacked, they will have to slow down Washington , and execute on the Offensive side of the ball to win, good luck to you all, I would rather hang around Stillwater then Norman any day :)

Reactions: OSUIvan
Tulsa would really have to come out flat for that to happen
I think we would have to come out flat for it to be that close, and this is nothing again you guys, Gundy's teams always seem to really be focused on openers, and you guys have a lot of new players to break. We are experienced at every spot.

I think we would have to come out flat for it to be that close, and this is nothing again you guys, Gundy's teams always seem to really be focused on openers, and you guys have a lot of new players to break. We are experienced at every spot.
We don't have "alot" of new players to break in except at qb ( which is a big spot of course) but other then that, we are still very well stocked at every other position. And I will have to disagree with you on Gundys teams being ready for openers. The past 2 seasons OSU has struggled in their openers against CMU. With that being said, we are definitely the under dog, but this is still a very dangerous team that OSU cannot take lightly. As I said though, we have our opinions. Looking forward to football season anyway. Good luck to you all

SE Louisiana doesn't count as an opener for anyone but another D2 school. So let's consider Central Michigan as the Cowboys real opener last year. Focused they were for that one....

I don't think focus was the problem with OSU's 2-2 start last season. The offensive line really struggled early on. Most teams will struggle when they can't run the ball. OSU was no exception. The O line started to come together in the Baylor game and really jelled thereafter. They are an experienced and talented group headed into this season and I wouldn't anticipate those issues again to start the season. I will be shocked if OSU isn't ready to play.

We will see, honestly anything could happen this game, if one team doesn't show up to play , I think the other team will blast them, I expect this to be a very good game.

I'd be shocked as well if they aren't ready to go for their opener with us this season. I compare it to nobody wanting to lose to their little brother so you give it a little extra if you think it's going to be tough. Versus most years when they look at their opponent as one of the neighborhood kids that they've beat the hell out of for years. Not that they don't look at us in this way, but, their smart enough to know we've grown up a bit. We have a ton to prove and they have a lot to protect right out of the gate.

Every thing points to it being one helluva a game that both teams are up for and ready to play. My hope is that our young qb and receiving Corp come out like Rubley did when he got a chance to take the stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: TULSARISING
I'd be shocked as well if they aren't ready to go for their opener with us this season. I compare it to nobody wanted no to lose to their little brother so you give it a little extra if you think it's going to be tough. Versus most years when they look at their opponent as one of the neighborhood kids that you've beat the hell out of for years. Not that they don't look at us in this way but, their smart enough to know we've grown up a bit.

Every thing points to it being one helluva a game that both teams are up for and ready to play. My hope is that our young qb and receiving Corp come out like Rubley did when he got a chance to take the stage. Both have a lot to prove coming right out of the gate and it should be a well contested game.
Rusty C, If Skipper plays well and our defense slows down Washington and Hill, I say TU comes out of Stillwater with a victory. I think our offensive line is better then their defensive line and we will be able to run the ball with success, this is practically the same offensive line that ran over OUs defense 2 years ago except now they are 2 years older, also look for Johnson and Hobbs to have monster games as well as Brewer and Warren.

Rusty C, If Skipper plays well and our defense slows down Washington and Hill, I say TU comes out of Stillwater with a victory. I think our offensive line is better then their defensive line and we will be able to run the ball with success, this is practically the same offensive line that ran over OUs defense 2 years ago except now they are 2 years older, also look for Johnson and Hobbs to have monster games as well as Brewer and Warren.
I'm with you brother just not as clear in my explaination.

They are going to score IMO. The question is can we go punch for punch. If this were last year I'd say yes. This year the only thing that's proven is our run game. So if they load the box in early downs and get us to third and long can we win in match-up coverage. There is a huge difference in winning as the third option and winning against coverage designed to take you away.

Big question in my book is can Hobbs and Keenan win as the premier guy in the route. Being the check down guy or the backside guy is one thing. Can we line up and say my guy will kick ur ass. Keevan and Josh last year and Key the year before could. That is the million dollar question. Pound the rock successfully but also be able to make them pay if they don't play us straight up. If we can't take advantage with our wide outs or if we can't get them the ball from QB it's gonna be a long night. We will know a helluva lot more after game 1.

I figure that Monty will anticipate them loading the box and he will have some tricks thrown in to take advantage of that. (I could see brewer getting a number of screen passes and gashing them for a ton of RAC yards wit the help of our mobile linemen). Maybe a wheel route to our rarely utilized TE.

Then I see OSU changing up their defensive looks in the second half to account for that and that's when Monty will start pounding the trenches.

I figure that Monty will anticipate them loading the box and he will have some tricks thrown in to take advantage of that. (I could see brewer getting a number of screen passes and gashing them for a ton of RAC yards wit the help of our mobile linemen). Maybe a wheel route to our rarely utilized TE.

Then I see OSU changing up their defensive looks in the second half to account for that and that's when Monty will start pounding the trenches.
This

If we can't run the ball in the first half we likely won't be in a position to pound the ball in the second half. Good running teams can run regardless of the defensive alignment. Know who you are...and we aren't a team whose going to beat good people by throwing the ball all over the field...at least early on. Establish the run which in turn gives Skip time to throw and opens up play action.Only way we win this game absent getting a slew of turnovers.

If we can't run the ball in the first half we likely won't be in a position to pound the ball in the second half. Good running teams can run regardless of the defensive alignment. Know who you are...and we aren't a team whose going to beat good people by throwing the ball all over the field...at least early on. Establish the run which in turn gives Skip time to throw and opens up play action.Only way we win this game absent getting a slew of turnovers.
You're using the traditional rational of most offenses. The problem is, monty's offense is sort of built the other way around. The threat of the pass (specifically the deep pass) is used to take men out of the box, or to give us a running advantage on one side or another. So, either we're going to have to be able to make the throws downfield or we will have to be creative about getting our best players the ball with room to work. If we come into Stillwater expecting to shove the ball down the cowboys throats while they stack the box against us, we're going to lose.

Either we make the throws downfield or we get creative in space. But we won't be rushing more than around 50% of the snaps.It's not Monty's M.O. I don't care who the QB is.

I have seen Skipper enough to know he can throw the deep pass, if they stack the box, we will be able to make the deep pass work

You're using the traditional rational of most offenses. The problem is, monty's offense is sort of built the other way around. The threat of the pass (specifically the deep pass) is used to take men out of the box, or to give us a running advantage on one side or another. So, either we're going to have to be able to make the throws downfield or we will have to be creative about getting our best players the ball with room to work. If we come into Stillwater expecting to shove the ball down the cowboys throats while they stack the box against us, we're going to lose.

Either we make the throws downfield or we get creative in space. But we won't be rushing more than around 50% of the snaps.It's not Monty's M.O. I don't care who the QB is.

Disagree. Monty has a history of going run heavy when he has an inexperience QB and an advantage on the line of scrimmage. He hasn't done that at Tulsa because he walked into an experienced QB. The Briles offense is built on gaining advantages via formations and scheme. Go back and look at the games when Baylor was breaking in a new QB.

OSU will run base on defense. It's what Spencer does. If their getting gashed they will bring a safety up but I don't expect that to occur at the outset. Play action will be TU's best friend...but they have to be able to run the ball against the base D for that to be effective.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
OSU will not load the box, the idea will be to stop your run game without doing that

That's always the idea. But I doubt it stays that way. If we can't win in the run game with a hat for a hat then we aren't who I thought we were. Even "the OSU" cheated the force guy into the box on certain downs. That's where the RPO comes into play and we better be able to make u pay.

Every DC in America wants to play straight up and make you beat them the long way, problem is when u start breaking off chunk yardage in simple run plays and then you have to decide what to defend. That's when our young QB and WRs need to answer the bell. If they do it'll be an interesting game.

I know your OL is pretty good, but so is our DL, I don't see them being pushed around......

At least our dline got to Cooper rush before he could throw hail Marys...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT