ADVERTISEMENT

North Texas game thread

I never said 5-25 was Haith's fault. In fact I believe just the opposite.

I think Konkol should have cleaned house during his first offseason. Now, I think there were some restrictions placed on him by the admin in terms of making sure those kids graduated, so I see that he had his hands tied to some degree. I do think him bringing back Sam Griffin was a mistake of his own doing.

I don't think the same can be said for Wilson considering the departures he saw and the fact that a bunch of kids had academic problems on the football side.

It might be irrational to expect someone to completely rebuild a team in 6 months, but it's not completely irrational to assess and "fix" the MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN YOUR PROFESSION. I'm not complaining that he didn't recruit the right nickle cornerback. I'm complaining that he bungled THE key position. Maybe the most key position for any sport. What's more concerning is that he actually thought Braylon Braxton could / should play after the spring.
So KW gets more blame because Monty left a bunch of kids with academic problems? And ergo, Monty is a better coach than KW?

I didn't track the portal to know what QBs were available in spring for a school like us. You make it sound like he forgot to stop at the market for milk. I hope you realize that we aren't Alabama or Georgia. Actually maybe we are given the QB issues in Tuscaloosa this year. They should fire that hack Saban.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Right now what kind of offense are we running? Are we running a spread, zone read or power football?
Do you think this is a KW issue or a Spurrier issue? Ohio State's offense under KW seemed coherent and modern. Don't know how much involvement he had in that.

Astro bite made up his mind before he even knew it was made up. No matter how inane his concept of reality is, you'll never convince him to change his mind about even the smallest thing. He is the definition of a contrarian. The harder you argue against him, the stauncher he gets. He competes with Trump on doubling down.

It's so funny that he comes up with an excuse/reason for Konkol's first season being so bad, after he is doing so well.(purely created in his own head) I guess that's a subconscious excuse for him being alright with it now. Wonder where that excuse was last season. Wonder what excuse he'll create for Wilson if he turns it around.

Do you think this is a KW issue or a Spurrier issue? Ohio State's offense under KW seemed coherent and modern. Don't know how much involvement he had in that.
It’s definitely KW’s offense. I don’t know what we can make of what’s being run at this point though. We have walk-ons starting all over the place and a returning starter QB who is having trouble completing 5 yard outs. Whoever we want to place blame on for that, it’s difficult to understand what our offense is and why when you have the limitations we have at skill positions and on the OL. The amount of time we have to max protect is killer by itself

We have walk-ons starting all over the place
I guess if the goal is to clean house and start over, this is a pretty good way to do it. Or maybe the point is, guys who work within the system play even if they're walk-ons and guys who don't buy into the system don't?

When Braxton entered the portal, he had a bunch of high level schools come after him. I think I remember hearing there were jets flying in to see him. So I guess those coaching staffs were also all wrong, maybe they should be fired too, for their bad assessment of him.

When Braxton entered the portal, he had a bunch of high level schools come after him. I think I remember hearing there were jets flying in to see him. So I guess those coaching staffs were also all wrong, maybe they should be fired too, for their bad assessment of him.
Based on what was seen to that point the interest was very much warranted. It's not like they were all receiving an individual workout from him where they could evaluate the minutia of details they would have liked. Some dudes are simply great technical practice players that can't make the transfer of skills to game day, others are average practice guys that light it up when the lights come on. Hell, KW said he didn't watch game film of the players in an attempt to provide each a blank slate and to have clear eyes when evaluation in the spring came.

Clearly the offense got a bit more complicated and the O-line couldn't hold up as well and things went to Hell in a hand-basket for BB.

Last edited:
That will change astro's tune. :rolleyes:

???

That's the kind of stupid crap I'm referring to. What the hell are you going on about. Nobody has done any of that. And certainly not in the context of this post, or anything related to @noble cane. This is just some random rant not related to anything said in this conversation. Your analytical skills are severely lacking, no matter which degrees you have or don't have.

And I'll answer your question that has nothing to do with intelligence. I have one degree, because it was all that was necessary in the career I was pursuing. A second degree from TU doesn't mean you are more or less intelligent. It only signifies you put more time and money into pursuit of a second degree that suited
Got my MBA from TU while taking classes with your wife... No sense criticizing someone for getting an MBA from TU, unless you ask your wife that question frequentl

Does other schools being stupid excuse our stupidity? We have the practice footage on the kid.....they don't.

Of course Wilson said he in an interview didn't want to review any of that when he came in.

I really liked your reply TulsaGrad07 especially about telling him to ask his wife if a Tulsa Mba was a piece of trash 😂

It's an offense that is able to succeed when it has 4 and 5 Star players to run it. Same thing at Oklahoma.

Also, recall that Wilson wasn't the only OC at Ohio State. Ryan Day was the primary play caller.

Got my MBA from TU while taking classes with your wife... No sense criticizing someone for getting an MBA from TU, unless you ask your wife that question frequently.
I asked a question. If that constitutes criticizing someone and warrants mentioning my wife... then there's only one thing left to say... SOFT!!!!1

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of mentioning someone's wife on this board. That's just a good reason to drop the gloves and have a go.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I asked a question. If that constitutes criticizing someone and warrants mentioning my wife... then there's only one thing left to say... SOFT!!!!1
We haven't heard from that nut job in a while. Please come back and add to this conversation, that would make it classic. I'd @ him but I don't even want him to sniff the board again.

• Haha
Reactions: cmullinsTU
We haven't heard from that nut job in a while. Please come back and add to this conversation, that would make it classic. I'd @ him but I don't even want him to sniff the board again.
I think it is like Beetlejuice and you have to @ him 3 times, but I don't want to find out

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of mentioning someone's wife on this board. That's just a good reason to drop the gloves and have a go.
Meh, my wife can take care of herself. Say something bad about my dog tho and you're warned, the gates of hell are opening up on you!

You are either coaching it or allowing it to happen. This team may not have had elite talent but was definitely talented enough to be a 7 win team, 6 minimum with schedule played. If kids quit on the season its because the staff allowed it to happen.
I'm going with the theory that he's using tough, tough love to clean house of guys who he doesn't think are the future even if it sets us back this year. It's easier to sleep at night if you think that.

Well just tell your damn piddly a$$ dog not to get an MBA from TU. That degree sucks! :strong::strong:
I don't need to tell her that. She's a dog, sure, but that doesn't mean she's stupid!

When I was in law school, we had old, kind of run down facilities and the B school facilities were like a country club. We sat on beat up old plastic chairs and they had high end arm chairs and everything was new. I'm pretty bitter about that still.

I'm going with the theory that he's using tough, tough love to clean house of guys who he doesn't think are the future even if it sets us back this year. It's easier to sleep at night if you think that.
9jpf9396n68z.jpg

To be blindingly obvious, the future is unknowable, the best we can do is assign probabilities to a variety of possible outcomes. And in this case, I'd say the confidence interval around each of those probabilities is extremely broad. In other words, I think it's unusually hard to predict what will happen next year. I'd say we're about as likely to win 2-3 games as we are to win 7-8 games. In the middle is most likely the case. In that world, where they're equally likely, why not choose to believe the one that doesn't result in being a grouchy, frustrated dinkus for the next 9 months?

The what’s your point? Monty has a 30% better career win loss record than Wilson….
As usual, you are full of bovine excrement defending the hapless Monty who all but destroyed the program through his 1 and zero star recruits left for Wilson to attempt a winning season.

Your hero is doing a great job as Auburn’s OC and probably will lured away as A$M’s new head coach since he’s such an effing prize.

Crazy defense of this season and Monty. Wow to both.

One thing that is without a doubt not Monty’s fault is that our team has looked prepared in the first quarter exactly one time this year.
Disagree.

Slow starting was part of the culture during the Monty era and even the butt of jokes we all laughed at - even when we were winning. See the NW Arkansas Source at Post #17 at the link below.

There may be differences in explanations for these slow starts between the two coaches, but slow starting and conceding leads his offense couldn’t recover from was a significant factor in Montgomery’s won/loss record. For all the complaints about his game management, especially in the 4th Qtr., he could have avoided those complaints if the offense didn’t have to take their seventh snap of the ball down 14-0 most of the time.

It simply isn’t true that Montgomery prepared these teams better than Wilson.

I don’t know what’s in the water, but we need a new pump and plumbing.

More later.

Disagree.

Slow starting was part of the culture during the Monty era and even the butt of jokes we all laughed at - even when we were winning. See the NW Arkansas Source at Post #17 at the link below.

There may be differences in explanations for these slow starts between the two coaches, but slow starting and conceding leads his offense couldn’t recover from was a significant factor in Montgomery’s won/loss record. For all the complaints about his game management, especially in the 4th Qtr., he could have avoided those complaints if the offense didn’t have to take their seventh snap of the ball down 14-0 most of the time.

It simply isn’t true that Montgomery prepared these teams better than Wilson.

I don’t know what’s in the water, but we need a new pump and plumbing.

More later.

I don't think he was saying that Monty prepared any worse or better than Wilson.

What I got out of it was simply that the one thing Wilson can't blame on Monty is Wilson's continued slow starts.

A lot of Wilson's slow starts were due to interceptions and poor special teams play. One thing I can't say helped us this year, was the coach hired to be in charge of special teams. He couldn't seem to improve our special teams play, despite the fact that we dedicated more attention to special teams on a coaching level. That all seemed to be for nought.

Last edited:
Ohio State had power OL with power RB. The fact they can get 4 and 5 star players making your offense look good. Tulsa have to develop players to run his offense. Monty offense was intermediate football. All passes were between 10 and 20 yards. No check down to the running back no TE play. After a zone read LB dropped in the middle of the field and nobody is open.
We need OL that can pull run and block in space to run counters sweeps and traps.

We can argue the point endlessly. Because there may be no clear answer. Problems can have many roots. It may take more than a year to turn some things around. And that includes the team learning to use your preparation time effectively and having the right mind set going into games.

My sense is the program needs to claw back step by step and that might take awhile and might take a change in the program that changing coaches might not entirely address. At least over night or one season.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU 1978
We can argue the point endlessly. Because there may be no clear answer. Problems can have many roots. It may take more than a year to turn some things around. And that includes the team learning to use your preparation time effectively and having the right mind set going into games.

My sense is the program needs to claw back step by step and that might take awhile and might take a change in the program that changing coaches might not entirely address. At least over night or one season.
That feels a touch melodramatic. We're looking to beat Memphis and Tulane, not Georgia and Alabama. Anyone who thought we'd fix things in one season isn't being serious anyway.

But, I don’t recall anyone expecting us to fall on our face.
Sorry, I wasn't talking specifically about this year. Just responding to Huffy's general implication that some time with a new staff wouldn't be enough to turn things around.

In retrospect, after KW's first year at IU, I guess we should have seen a down year coming. He seems to be a rip the bandaid off kind of guy.

That said, if we beat ECU and get to 4 wins, we will be exactly average for TU football for the last 10 years...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT