ADVERTISEMENT

North Texas game thread

Why get an MBA??? I’m not even 40 and have already served in a C-suite.

Wow.. a pissing contest over degrees ....

Damn, Tulsa football sucks.
Yea run down our academic status that should help our recruiting of football talent. I guess since you went to school at Tulsa you should be ashamed as well. If tcc is your reference point that’s a problem.

Yea run down our academic status that should help our recruiting of football talent. I guess since you went to school at Tulsa you should be ashamed as well. If tcc is your reference point that’s a problem.
???

That's the kind of stupid crap I'm referring to. What the hell are you going on about. Nobody has done any of that. And certainly not in the context of this post, or anything related to @noble cane. This is just some random rant not related to anything said in this conversation. Your analytical skills are severely lacking, no matter which degrees you have or don't have.

And I'll answer your question that has nothing to do with intelligence. I have one degree, because it was all that was necessary in the career I was pursuing. A second degree from TU doesn't mean you are more or less intelligent. It only signifies you put more time and money into pursuit of a second degree that suited your needs.

I got a degree in something or other while at TU during the 70's. Only took me five years to do it. Some of my closest friends today are people I met at TU.

We were really lucky to not lose all 12 games
Clearly you're upset and lashing out, but this is really not a coherent thing to say. The 3 games we won weren't close, we didn't get lucky to win those games. We should have beaten FAU and there were 3 that were crapshoots where we managed to lose all 3. I think we've gotten a bit unlucky, not making excuses, we legitimately found a way to lose those games, but if we're going to play alternate history, we're closer to 5 wins than to 1.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
NT sucks
Tulsa sucks more
Tulsa can't beat a single D1 team right now

Wilson sucks.
Things have clearly gone badly off the rails this year after what seemed like a promising start. I don't know why but things seemed to turn at FAU and the coaches could never get it back on track. They have to figure that out with the new talent they bring in.

One piece of good news is KW did the same thing at Indiana. He was 1-11 his first year, a pretty big drop off from the year before, before improving and getting them to their first 2 bowls in a decade or something. Maybe KW isn't everyone's cup of tea and that gets sorted in his first year and goes up from there?

Things have clearly gone badly off the rails this year after what seemed like a promising start. I don't know why but things seemed to turn at FAU and the coaches could never get it back on track. They have to figure that out with the new talent they bring in.

One piece of good news is KW did the same thing at Indiana. He was 1-11 his first year, a pretty big drop off from the year before, before improving and getting them to their first 2 bowls in a decade or something. Maybe KW isn't everyone's cup of tea and that gets sorted in his first year and goes up from there?
I'm not at all impressed with what KW did at Indiana.

It took him 5 seasons to get his first bowl appearance. When he started at Indiana, they had only missed bowls for 4 years or so. He was the one that extended the streak to near the decade mark. He didn't even construct a good enough team to beat the likes of Bowling Green or Ball State until that 5th season. And then he got fired in the 6th season for being an ass to his players.

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to watch him nuke the program for 4 seasons just so we can barely go to Mieneke Car Care Bowl in year 5. Monty was WAAAAY better than that.

It took him 5 seasons to get his first bowl appearance. When he started at Indiana, they had only missed bowls for 4 years or so. He was the one that extended the streak to near the decade mark. He didn't even construct a good enough team to beat the likes of Bowling Green or Ball State until that 5th season. And then he got fired in the 6th season for being an ass to his players.

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to watch him nuke the program for 4 seasons just so we can barely go to Mieneke Car Care Bowl in year 5. Monty was WAAAAY better than that.
monty left us with mostly 2 and 1 star recruits.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TU1NNJ
In this day and age , a degree almost means nothing , a lot more blue collar jobs are in demand then white collar jobs , no shame in either , I know people that didn’t even go to college making 6 figures while people I know that went to college barely make $12 an hour and are in an extreme amount of debt.

I wasn't in love with the KW hire but I was happy we didn't get Keith Burns Jr (who's 9-2 and atop the MWC at UNLV, so keep that in mind when you decide how much credibility to give my opinion). But I think it helps to at least have some factual basis to our opinion. Indiana went to a bowl in 1993, then 2007, then 2015 and 2016 under KW. KW did quite well by Indiana standards but didn't elevate them to contender status. They've been to 2 bowls in 6 years since and are 3-8 this year. He seems better than other IU coaches of the last generation fwiw.

Seeing how you are such a big donor, you can call them up on the red phone. The one they all keep in their offices(HC, Athletic Director, annnnd the President) with a direct line to you. You can tell them you and all your buddies of the athletic department all say "We're not going to take it anymore!!!!!!!'

I'm sure they will can him in seconds.

Or you can do the thing you live for, and bitch about him non stop for the next three years.

You'll watch him do whatever the athletic dept decides they want him to do for the next four years.

Seeing how you are such a big donor, you can call them up on the red phone. The one they all keep in their offices(HC, Athletic Director, annnnd the President) with a direct line to you. You can tell them you and all your buddies of the athletic department all say "We're not going to take it anymore!!!!!!!'

I'm sure they will can him in seconds.

Or you can do the thing you live for, and bitch about him non stop for the next three years.

You'll watch him do whatever the athletic dept decides they want him to do for the next four years.

No, I said I will not watch him Nuke the program. I didn't say this admin isn't stupid enough to let him do it. I said I won't watch it, and I'm not alone either. He'll get another chance next year, just like Konkol did, but I'm much less convinced that he'll be able to turn things around than I was with Konkol.

How I feel about you and your opinion of what I should or shouldn't do....

Last edited:
No, I said I will not watch him Nuke the program. I didn't say this admin isn't stupid enough to let him. I said I won't watch it, and I'm not alone either. He'll get another chance next year, just like Konkol did, but I'm much less convinced that he'll be able to turn things around than I was with Konkol.

Staying committed to guys who can't get to .500 is how you kill programs.
But you were all in on below 500 Monty all the way to the end!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
In this day and age , a degree almost means nothing , a lot more blue collar jobs are in demand then white collar jobs , no shame in either , I know people that didn’t even go to college making 6 figures while people I know that went to college barely make $12 an hour and are in an extreme amount of debt.
Then again on the other hand.... In general, almost all positive life outcomes are better for college educated people on average than for non-college educated. And the gap is widening. Having a college degree has never mattered more than now.

Americans Without College Degrees Live Shorter Lives, Brookings Study Finds

But you were all in on below 500 Monty all the way to the end!
I'll believe it when I see it. 3 or 4 years from now. Regardless of how much we've improved or not, Astro Dog will still be on here bitching.

Last edited:
No, I said I will not watch him Nuke the program. I didn't say this admin isn't stupid enough to let him. I said I won't watch it, and I'm not alone either. He'll get another chance next year, just like Konkol did, but I'm much less convinced that he'll be able to turn things around than I was with Konkol.

Staying committed to guys who can't get to .500 is how you kill programs.
This is obviously not saying much, but KW's first year was a lot better than Knokol's. And he's had this trajectory before. I don't see how you wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt.

This is obviously not saying much, but KW's first year was a lot better than Knokol's. And he's had this trajectory before. I don't see how you wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt.
I think the logistics around changing an entire football team are a lot harder to accomplish than changing around a basketball team. Especially when both are basically in need of complete teardowns. Additionally I was really displeased with a number of coaching decisions in games this year. It wasn’t all just the hand he was dealt, it was how he played it too.

Also, I dont agree that KW’s first year was better than Konkol’s both were equally garbage.

Last edited:
Also, I dont agree that KW’s first year was better than Konkol’s both were equally garbage.
This is just crazy, you're blinded by hatred or rage or whatever. We're not even the worst team in the conference in football. We were the worst team in BB last year - 4 whole games worse than the next team! Last year BB team was historically, multi-generationally bad. You'll be telling your grandkids about last year in BB. Know who the president was the last time we won 5 or fewer games in BB before last year? HARRY TRUMAN! WW II had just ended, Korea was a sticky point but war had not broken out. Top songs that year were from Peggy Lee, Bing Crosby and Doris Day. Color TV was still 5 years away. The US had 48 states (Alaska and Hawaii were more than a decade away). This was A LONG time ago.

The last BB team with a worse winning % was 1942 when the team went 0-10 under coach Mike Milligan, who was a football coach but took over for a year when the BB coach left. It was Milligan's only year to coach BB, tho his FB coaching career continued for years after. Putting aside the war team, the last team with a worse winning % was the 1928-1929 team.

This FB team is run of the mill sucky, that's all - if we lose to ECU, this will be the 7th TU team in the 2000s with 3 or fewer wins. Know who the president was last time we won 3 or fewer games in FB? Donald Trump. Remember that guy? Last year in BB was 2 orders of magnitude worse than FB this year, even if we lose to ECU.

Last edited:
Then again on the other hand.... In general, almost all positive life outcomes are better for college educated people on average than for non-college educated. And the gap is widening. Having a college degree has never mattered more than now.

Americans Without College Degrees Live Shorter Lives, Brookings Study Finds
I agree college can open more doors for the right person, however, there are some who have gifts that would do better not going , and instead going through a apprenticeship while getting paid ( electrician , plumber , welder, truck driver , ect) but there are also people who have the gifts to be able to become a doctor , lawyer , dentist, ect . All depends on the person, we all have different gifts and we need all of those

The hat’s your point? Monty has a 30% better career win loss record than Wilson….
Monty - Against lesser competition at a school that historically performed better against that competition. You said you didn’t want to stay committed to a below 500 HC that is how you kill programs; yet that is what you continually supported in your boy Monty. Whether Wilson can get the program on track remains to be seen but his one year hasn’t killed the program. The foundation for “killing a program” begins with Monty’s poor recruiting, lack of discipline through his tenure and bad coaching.

I agree college can open more doors for the right person, however, there are some who have gifts that would do better not going , and instead going through a apprenticeship while getting paid ( electrician , plumber , welder, truck driver , ect) but there are also people who have the gifts to be able to become a doctor , lawyer , dentist, ect . All depends on the person, we all have different gifts and we need all of those
Yeah for sure. There are really solid economic opportunities for people in the skilled trades. The question I guess is on average how do people without a college degree do, not just are there chances for some of them to do well? I'm not smart enough to say why people without a college education are on average living shorter, less prosperous lives marked by more negative outcomes but that seems to be the case.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Monty - Against lesser competition at a school that historically performed better against that competition. You said you didn’t want to stay committed to a below 500 HC that is how you kill programs; yet that is what you continually supported in your boy Monty. Whether Wilson can get the program on track remains to be seen but his one year hasn’t killed the program. The foundation for “killing a program” begins with Monty’s poor recruiting, lack of discipline through his tenure and bad coaching.
Definitely, Monty was and is a bad, bad coach. Aston's discussion of whether Monty is better or worse is just "I'd rather get shot in the head than run over by a bus". No looking back. We kept Monty 4 years too long and knew it but didn't have the $$ to do what was needed.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Eye Roll. Just keep passing that buck. Everything is someone else's fault.

The competition in his conference was certainly more challenging, but most of the games his teams played against them were rarely close. Anyone can go out and lose to a Big 10 team by 30 point-40 points. Also, he had financial / facility support that Monty could have never dreamed of.

Last edited:
This is just crazy, you're blinded by hatred or rage or whatever. We're not even the worst team in the conference in football. We were the worst team in BB last year - 4 whole games worse than the next team! Last year BB team was historically, multi-generationally bad. You'll be telling your grandkids about last year in BB. Know who the president was the last time we won 5 or fewer games in BB before last year? HARRY TRUMAN! WW II had just ended, Korea was a sticky point but war had not broken out. Top songs that year were from Peggy Lee, Bing Crosby and Doris Day. Color TV was still 5 years away. The US had 48 states (Alaska and Hawaii were more than a decade away). This was A LONG time ago.

The last BB team with a worse winning % was 1942 when the team went 0-10 under coach Mike Milligan, who was a football coach but took over for a year when the BB coach left. It was Milligan's only year to coach BB, tho his FB coaching career continued for years after. Putting aside the war team, the last team with a worse winning % was the 1928-1929 team.

This FB team is run of the mill sucky, that's all - if we lose to ECU, this will be the 7th TU team in the 2000s with 3 or fewer wins. Know who the president was last time we won 3 or fewer games in FB? Donald Trump. Remember that guy? Last year in BB was 2 orders of magnitude worse than FB this year, even if we lose to ECU.
Can you tell me the last time we started a Walk On QB over 3 scholarship quarterbacks?

Statistically, we've seen this bad of a defense on the field a single time in the past 30 years.... and that was the year Bill Blankenship got fired because the team gave up on him. The worst defense before that? 1969.

That's nothing new to Kevin Wilson though. His teams dived near those depths of ineptitude 3 times while he was at Indiana. His only saving grace for some of those years was that he was allowed to play Purdue.

Last edited:
Can you tell me the last time we started a Walk On QB over 3 scholarship quarterbacks?
What does that have to do with anything? Cardell is injured, the other 2 are holdovers from Monty days. I guess your point is Monty left the QB shelf completely empty when KW took over? That seems right but I'm not sure how it proves Monty is better?? There are 4 non-FR QBs on the roster, was it unreasonable for KW to assume one of them would be minimally competent? The fact that KW has had to turn to a walkon FR over the 4 guys Monty left seems like very powerful proof of what we all know, which is Monty is a bad coach.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
What does that have to do with anything? Cardell is injured, the other 2 are holdovers from Monty days. I guess your point is Monty left the QB shelf completely empty when KW took over? That seems right but I'm not sure how it proves Monty is better?? There are 4 non-FR QBs on the roster, was it unreasonable for KW to assume one of them would be minimally competent? The fact that KW has had to turn to a walkon FR over the 4 guys Monty left seems like very powerful proof of what we all know, which is Monty is a bad coach.
My point is that Wilson didn't recruit a scholarship QB in the offseason when he knew he didn't have any. Add to that... he STILL hasn't recruited a scholarship QB to compete.

Wilson had a whole Spring Training to see what he had (or didn't have). He had the biggest portal board of all time to convince a QB to come in and play. If the shelf is empty, he only has himself to blame. Stop blaming Monty on things that could have been fixed after him.

Yeah for sure. There are really solid economic opportunities for people in the skilled trades. The question I guess is on average how do people without a college degree do, not just are there chances for some of them to do well? I'm not smart enough to say why people without a college education are on average living shorter, less prosperous lives marked by more negative outcomes but that seems to be the case.
Just a wild guess ( not backed by facts , just my observation) there are a lot more drunks and tobacco users as well as a lot more physically demanding on your body , not to mention , a lot of those jobs are more dangerous, if you get in one of those fields , you can still get promoted to where you aren’t just killing your self every day , just my 2 cents though . I will say everyone needs to be taught how to handle money and budgeting ,no matter what trade you are in , I don’t think a lot of schools do that anymore

Reactions: chito_and_leon
My point is that Wilson didn't recruit a scholarship QB in the offseason when he knew he didn't have any. Add to that... he STILL hasn't recruited a scholarship QB to compete.

Wilson had a whole Spring Training to see what he had (or didn't have). He had the biggest portal board of all time to convince a QB to come in and play. If the shelf is empty, he only has himself to blame. Stop blaming Monty on things that could have been fixed after him.
So Konkol going 5-25 is Haith's fault but KW going 3-7 isn't Monty's fault?

I think it's irrationally unreasonable to expect a guy who was hired in Dec. to completely rebuild the team before the start of his first year. Have you ever watched sports before?

Nobody is happy with this season and clearly a lot of things have gone wrong. But you've taken a bad case of the vapors. You should lie down for a while.

Right now what kind of offense are we running? Are we running a spread, zone read or power football?

So Konkol going 5-25 is Haith's fault but KW going 3-7 isn't Monty's fault?

I think it's irrationally unreasonable to expect a guy who was hired in Dec. to completely rebuild the team before the start of his first year. Have you ever watched sports before?

Nobody is happy with this season and clearly a lot of things have gone wrong. But you've taken a bad case of the vapors. You should lie down for a while.
I never said 5-25 was Haith's fault. In fact I believe just the opposite.

I think Konkol should have cleaned house during his first offseason. Now, I think there were some restrictions placed on him by the admin in terms of making sure those kids graduated, so I see that he had his hands tied to some degree. I do think him bringing back Sam Griffin was a mistake of his own doing.

I don't think the same can be said for Wilson considering the departures he saw and the fact that a bunch of kids had academic problems on the football side.

It might be irrational to expect someone to completely rebuild a team in 6 months, but it's not completely irrational to assess and "fix" the MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN YOUR PROFESSION. I'm not complaining that he didn't recruit the right nickle cornerback. I'm complaining that he bungled THE key position. Maybe the most key position for any sport. What's more concerning is that he actually thought Braylon Braxton could / should play after the spring.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT