ADVERTISEMENT

Miami Beach vs. Central Michigan

too bad that the total TU fan base with be under 200 same for CMU. Nothing to play for here except to remind State of a terrible call by the referees.

http://miamibeachbowl.com/news/2016/12/4/2016_Matchup.aspx

Central Michigan and Tulsa kick off Dec. 19 in the 2016 Miami Beach Bowl!
Dec. 04, 2016 General
MIAMI – The University of Tulsa and Central Michigan University will close their 2016 seasons in the third Miami Beach Bowl. The game kicks off on Monday, Dec. 19 at 2:30 p.m. ET, at Marlins Park and will be televised live on ESPN and available on the WatchESPN app.

Tulsa enters the Miami Beach Bowl as one of the hottest teams in the nation. The Golden Hurricane went 9-3 in the regular season, placed second in the tough American Athletic Conference West Division and has five wins in its last six games. Head coach Philip Montgomery, who has orchestrated a remarkable turnaround in just two years at Tulsa, brings the American Athletic Conference's leading offense (522.5 yards per game) into the postseason, as the Golden Hurricane is on the precipice of a first in college football.

Tulsa quarterback Dane Evans has thrown for 3,044 yards and 27 touchdowns, while the Golden Hurricane has the top two rushers in The American as James Flanders (1,529 yards) and D'Angelo Brewer (1,330 yards) both earned all-conference accolades. Wide receiver Keevan Lucas has 1,108 receiving yards, and Josh Atkinson has 927. If Atkinson reaches the 1,000-yard plateau, Tulsa would become the first team in FBS football history with a 3,000-yard passer, two 1,000-yard rushers and two 1,000-yard receivers.

Central Michigan enters the Miami Beach Bowl at 6-6 in a season highlighted by a thrilling win against an Oklahoma State squad that finished No. 12 in the final College Football Playoff rankings. The Chippewas are making their third consecutive postseason appearance and have been bowl-eligible in each of the last five seasons.

Central Michigan is led by quarterback Cooper Rush, one of 12 finalists for the Campbell Trophy as college football's top scholar-athlete. Rush has thrown for 3,299 yards and 23 touchdowns against 13 interceptions this season and ranks second on CMU's career chart in touchdown passes, passing yards, total offense, completions and attempts.

Tulsa and Central Michigan have met twice previously as the schools played a two-game series in 1986 and 1987 as each team won on its home field.

Miami Beach Bowl single tickets are priced at $50 (additional fees may apply) and can be purchased online at marlins.com/miamibeachbowl, by telephone at 1.877.Marlins or in person at the Marlins Park North Ticket Office (Monday-Friday from 9 a.m.–5 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m.–4 p.m.).

In last year's Miami Beach Bowl, Western Kentucky and USF combined for 80 points as the No. 25-ranked Hilltoppers prevailed, 45-35, behind 461 yards and three touchdowns by quarterback (and Bowl MVP) Brandon Doughty. Memphis won the inaugural Miami Beach Bowl in 2014 as quarterback Paxton Lynch threw four TD passes in the Tigers' 55-48 win against BYU in double-overtime.

Hospitality packages and suites are also available. For more information, please contact the Bowl Office by phone at 305.783.8393 or email at MLicursi@MiamiBeachBowl.com.

For the latest Miami Beach Bowl news, follow @MiamiBeachBowl on Twitter, like Miami Beach Bowl on Facebook or visit MiamiBeachBowl.com.

About the Miami Beach Bowl
The Miami Beach Bowl is a college football postseason game that is owned and operated by the American Athletic Conference. The Miami Beach Bowl matches an American Athletic Conference team against a high-quality opponent each year. The game is played at Marlins Park, a state-of-the-art facility that opened in 2012 and serves as the home of Major League Baseball's Miami Marlins. The ballpark features a retractable roof, climate controlled temperatures and a pristine natural grass playing surface. For more information on the game, visit www.MiamiBeachBowl.com.

1:30pm on a Monday... -awful time slot against a less than stellar opponent. I guess we're paying for our good draw from last year.

Only positive is the players get a good locale and will get to spend Christmas with family. Everything else about this sucks. 6-6 MAC team in an empty stadium. AAC has got to work on our bowl tie-ins.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Looks like I'll be calling in on Monday. Great game time..not

All the respect to Central Michigan, but virtually everything else about this game sucks really bad. The players will like Miami. That's all I got. The rest of us have to work that day and can't make the trip and may have to get creative to watch.

Why do our game times suck so bad in the regular season (night games), only to get worse for the bowl?

I'm sure Aresco tried really hard to negotiate for us, while he lol'd about the officiating in his conference.

Reactions: rusty-c
Last year's bowl pay outs have Miami Beach Bowl listed at $1mill per team. Higher than armed forces, St. Pete's and Bahamas bowls. Only 100k less than heart of Dallas bowl.

Why would they schedule a game at this time? Is this game specifically for drunks who frequent sports bars in the middle of the day on a Monday?

You mean Big Al's 12 listeners?

I had seen some mention of Toledo. Guess they couldn't get a better matchup. Horrible draw. 6-6 MAC team. Toledo or Ohio would have been much better.

These small bowls generally don't make any of the schools or conferences money after expenses are paid. Looking at the time slot and ticket sales it's hard to understand how the Miami Beach Bowl financially exists. The bowl says it's a partnership between the AAC and the area hotels which get to house the athletes, band, cheer, etc...

yes, really a bad bowl game against a bad team. TU could have landed here with a 6-6 record. Bad job by the AAC. Consider the reward for UH - playing the MWC champion in Vegas. I haven't see the matches for Temple or Navy yet.
Very sad for Dane, Lucas and our record setting running backs to play in front of one of the smallest crowds and smallest viewing audiences of the bowl season. Perhaps we are paying for our bad attendance.
Gregg and Aresco totally failed here.

Reactions: DoorMan
Just a reward for the players. And the extra practice. There are too many bowls. Need to cut the number of bowls and teams to 7 wins. Attendance burn-out. This is like 128 teams for basketball at a distant site and expecting people to show up.

These small bowls generally don't make any of the schools or conferences money after expenses are paid. Looking at the time slot and ticket sales it's hard to understand how the Miami Beach Bowl financially exists. The bowl says it's a partnership between the AAC and the area hotels which get to house the athletes, band, cheer, etc...

Way for drug lords and the people who built vacant Miami high rises to launder money? Or it could be like my old theory that the entire San Jose State athletic department is a tax write off for Oracle.

Here's another thought: no one wants to play us. It's like the Self era all over again.

Why would they schedule a game at this time? Is this game specifically for drunks who frequent sports bars in the middle of the day on a Monday?

And educators? Probably PUMPED to enjoy this on their first day of Christmas break.

It exist for TV. Lot of bowls are like this now. Maybe even the majority. When I saw the deal several years back where the New Mexico Bowl on ESPN outdrew a network college bball game between two Top5 teams (may have been #1 vs #2, don't remember now), I realized ESPN must make good money off these bowls. College football drives the bus.

And, the tv revenue from ESPN and the mandatory advertisers for the entire bowl week on ESPN probably make the game survive.
I'm becoming very unhappy with the American. It's the best TU can do, but the leadership and officiating clearly favors Navy and the teams in major TV markets.

Good point in here about us getting the Indy last year. Someone had to take the aac $hit bowl this year, guess it was our turn. Honestly, from a bowl perspective, unless it driveable, we aren't taking more than a few hundred anyway. So Miami, Boca, Cure... does it really matter.

Aresco and company don't have much choice here. The P5 system is corrupt and it meant to lock anyone else out. Its on purpose. I know I am preaching to the choir. So the AAC bowls arent' horrible outside the fact they need to get some more tie-ins for the western teams. I said that from Day 1. We need a permanent AF, HOD, Indy tie-in for the western teams.

The future college players can watch it...school should be out.

From the AAC Forum:

Houston vs. SDSU in the Las Vegas bowl
Memphis vs. WKU in the Boca bowl
UCF vs. Arkansas State in the Cure Bowl
Tulsa vs. CMU in the Miami Beach bowl
Navy vs. LA Tech in the Armed Forces Bowl
USF vs. South Carolina in the Birmingham Bowl
Temple vs. Wake Forest in the Military Bowl

CMU fans are super excited on their board... many of them consider this the best bowl option that was available for them.

The only bowls that might be competitive are South Carolina and Western Kentucky, the rest we should destroy.

whoppee - TU got the only MAC team
UH hit the jackpot - maybe a payoff for trying so hard to leave the league (satire) v. MWC champion in Vegas
two CUSAs; 1 SunBelt; 1 SEC; 1 ACC (our league champion gets a mediocre Wake Forest team in the same stadium where they played the championship game)
it's interesting how hard the Big XII works not to play the American
and it's clear our league and the MWC are not playing nice together

Aresco isn't getting the job done

Just awful. Plane artived just now in SFO and I wish I did not turn on my phone. Will but a damper on my evening.

I read that Texas turned down a bid at 5-7. Can a bowl eligible team decide it doesn't want a bid? I can't recall anything positive about playing in the Mobile bowls against MAC teams, even with large routs.

I'm less mad about the opponent than the time slot.

I get that bowls are for tv, but Monday before Christmas midday?! Nobody is going to see those commercials.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Now I have to take a half day off to watch Atkinson make history. Zero interest otherwise.

Horrible. Our conference sucks at times.

I read that Texas turned down a bid at 5-7. Can a bowl eligible team decide it doesn't want a bid? I can't recall anything positive about playing in the Mobile bowls against MAC teams, even with large routs.

I'm sure the players who played in those games would say otherwise.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
too bad that the total TU fan base with be under 200 same for CMU. Nothing to play for here except to remind State of a terrible call by the referees.
You might be surprised. IIRC, Florida is fifth on the list for the number of living TU alumni, behind Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, and Kansas. There are more than 300 in the Orlando/Tampa I-4 corridor alone. The 2005 Championship Game, there were bunches of people that drove up from South Florida. Miami, Fort Myers, etc.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
If memory serves, both Notre Dame and Georgia have turned down bowl trips, despite winning records, in the last few decades or so. There may be more.

From the AAC Forum:

Houston vs. SDSU in the Las Vegas bowl
Memphis vs. WKU in the Boca bowl
UCF vs. Arkansas State in the Cure Bowl
Tulsa vs. CMU in the Miami Beach bowl
Navy vs. LA Tech in the Armed Forces Bowl
USF vs. South Carolina in the Birmingham Bowl
Temple vs. Wake Forest in the Military Bowl

It's bad enough 5-7 P5 schools get invites, but 6-6 MAC schools is far worse. Really sucks that TU got the worst possible bowl matchup, yet was one of the 2-4 best teams in the AAC. WKU or Arkansas State would have been a much better matchups, and Tulsa thumped Memphis and UCF soundly, yet those 2 got priority?.

I assume if Aresco believes the conference is due better Tv money, then better bowl tie-ins are equally due.

What's really sad, if the AAC does not land in the a NY6 bowl, they have no credible bowl tie-in for their champion. IMO, the AAC champion and runner-up deserve bowl tie-ins commiserate to the 3rd, 4th, or 5th team from P5 conferences. Quit rewarding the medicore P5's better bowls such as the Sun, Liberty, Gator, Music City, Belk, etc.

Definitely too many bowl games, at minimum should be a 7 win requirement. Too many medicore P5's land in better bowl games than ranked G5's.

TX

Last edited:
Sports Illustrated was the only publication to predict this matchup in advance.
Huffy Illustrated scooped them. It wasn't fair though, I have a well placed source in Miami that knew awhile ago. They sent reps to Tulsa to watch a home game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT