ADVERTISEMENT

Miami Beach vs. Central Michigan

If memory serves, both Notre Dame and Georgia have turned down bowl trips, despite winning records, in the last few decades or so. There may be more.

I don't think UT ended up having to turn one down, although I heard they were going too if it came to that. I think only two 5-7 teams got in, NTexas and MissSt. They were 1/2 in APR. UT was 3rd.

We have a shot for the conference to go undefeated in bowls.

This is still a great opportunity for the kids and continues to push the program in a positive direction.

The team needs to go out there and hammer CMU and make a statement for the final poll and next year.

Memphis, USF, and likely Houston will lose their bowl matchups. I wouldn't be talking trash about the conference tie-ins.

Reactions: GOTULSA
So the American went from 4 P-5 teams in the original tie-ins to 2 after selections were made? Looks like no one wants to play us. We need to sweep this bowl season and I see nothing in these matchups to prevent this. Monty needs to take a page from the Graham playbook and keep his foot on the gas. See if we can score 70.

Im not sure why everyone is complaining about the bowl matchup. First of all, the match up two years ago was University of Couch. Second, nobody cares if you beat a 6-6 South Carolina team in the cold rain of Birmingham. USC is in disarray and most recruits and their families don't care. But if we put up 600 yards of offense against CMU, not only do you get to yak trash against the Aggies on Tuesday morning, but the coaches can sit down with recruits and explain that coming to Tulsa means a chance to display their talents by rushing or catching 1,000 yards and gravy like a beach trip.

It is a work day and school day.

Most folks, if they watch at all, will have to dvr or watch the espn3 replay.

Incredibly stupid bowl time and an opponent that is 500. of course it sucks.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Ditto on the Aztecs. Injuries and focus hurt Houston at times, but absent that it should be a win for them.

I bet the players are excited. They would rather go to Miami than Ft.Worth, Annapolis or Birmingham. As others have said most Bowls are made for TV anyway.

Most on here think the MAC is bad and some think the American is a bad league for us, I respectfully disagree with both sentiments. This MAC has some good teams that beat schools from the B10, B12, etc... and CMU beat OSU on the score board and in reality gave them all they wanted. TU should not take the game lightly. Also those that think the AAC is bad for TU go look at C-USA and their bowls, TV deal, leadership, etc...

AAC is best of the "non-P5" conferences. Our teams need to prove it in this bowl season.

I bet the players are excited. They would rather go to Miami than Ft.Worth, Annapolis or Birmingham. As others have said most Bowls are made for TV anyway.

Most on here think the MAC is bad and some think the American is a bad league for us, I respectfully disagree with both sentiments. This MAC has some good teams that beat schools from the B10, B12, etc... and CMU beat OSU on the score board and in reality gave them all they wanted. TU should not take the game lightly. Also those that think the AAC is bad for TU go look at C-USA and their bowls, TV deal, leadership, etc...

AAC is best of the "non-P5" conferences. Our teams need to prove it in this bowl season.

I love this conference!

Good for the players to have a nice trip.

Bad for the fans. No chance to play a high profile team and bad time slot.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
If the AAC forum is right the conference plays the CUSA, MWC, and Sunbelt Champs and have the possibility of 5 teams winning 10 games this year.

Seems like the powers that be want more proof that the AAC is a P6.

Junkie pointed out in Twitter that Memphis +1 is the only game the AAC isn't favored in based on Sagarin.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Let's get a 10 win season and get outta there.
Crap opponent, crap venue, crap state to play in during holiday season. This has been the season of theft for the University of Tulsa... Officiating stole 1 for sure (Navy) and possibly 2 (might have tied and beat Houston) and now we get this dumpster fire of a bowl game against a university from a pansy conference with a mediocre record. Monty and the guys deserve better this season. It really is Tulsa vs. the world when it comes to football.

There are a number of positives with this match up.
  1. Great location for the team
  2. It's impossible for me to make the trip so I won't drop a grand plus a week before Christmas
  3. I'll have a good reason to take a half day off work and drink multiple beers in the afternoon
  4. The local media is already familiar with CMU
  5. We should win the game

So the American went from 4 P-5 teams in the original tie-ins to 2 after selections were made? Looks like no one wants to play us. We need to sweep this bowl season and I see nothing in these matchups to prevent this. Monty needs to take a page from the Graham playbook and keep his foot on the gas. See if we can score 70.

70? Make it 100.

Reactions: TU 1978
I was holding my breath for a bowl within practical driving distance from Tulsa (not that there are many with the AAC bowl tie-ins). Flying to Florida during the holiday season is expensive. I hate to miss the game, but not sure I am going to be able to make it.....

Support your team and buy a couple of tickets and they will provide to our Military if you can't make it! Win Win for all!

Reactions: TU1NNJ
I would have been ok if USF and Tulsa switched bowls. That would make more sense.

There are a number of positives with this match up.
  1. Great location for the team
  2. It's impossible for me to make the trip so I won't drop a grand plus a week before Christmas
  3. I'll have a good reason to take a half day off work and drink multiple beers in the afternoon
  4. The local media is already familiar with CMU
  5. We should win the game

This. 'specially #3

Reactions: TU 1978
Remember Aresco is a tv guy not a sports guy so it's all programming for him. One big reality show. So he naturally thinks about "competitive" questions as audience and ad spend issues.

Clearly there is a concerted effort to have P5 teams play each other and Everyone else play each other. It sure feels like a precursor to separate divisions. We're being taught to think about the post season as P5 against P5 and everyone else against everyone else.

Reactions: noble cane
Let's get a 10 win season and get outta there.
Crap opponent, crap venue, crap state to play in during holiday season. This has been the season of theft for the University of Tulsa... Officiating stole 1 for sure (Navy) and possibly 2 (might have tied and beat Houston) and now we get this dumpster fire of a bowl game against a university from a pansy conference with a mediocre record. Monty and the guys deserve better this season. It really is Tulsa vs. the world when it comes to football.
I'll disagree on the venue and location being crap. Timing sucks for the average fan and we all hoped for a better higher profile opponent tot prove our mettle against, but the stadium is brand new and state of the art and it's freaking Miami. It'll be a great trip for the team and an excellent chance to work win a 10th game and to accomplish something never done in the history of football with the 3000-1000-1000-1000-1000

Parlay bet: Odds Dane gets of the plane with a double collared shirt, 1 set up, loafers with no socks and some light colored khakis with the pants pegged 3-1

Reactions: Glasscain
From the AAC Forum:

Houston vs. SDSU in the Las Vegas bowl
Memphis vs. WKU in the Boca bowl
UCF vs. Arkansas State in the Cure Bowl
Tulsa vs. CMU in the Miami Beach bowl
Navy vs. LA Tech in the Armed Forces Bowl
USF vs. South Carolina in the Birmingham Bowl
Temple vs. Wake Forest in the Military Bowl

The MAC Bowl line up is about the same caliber.

CAMELIA BOWL (Dec. 17) — Toledo v Appalachian State
MIAMI BEACH BOWL (Dec. 19) — Central Michigan v. Tulsa
BAHAMAS BOWL (Dec. 23) — Eastern Michigan v Old Dominion
DOLLAR GENERAL BOWL (Dec. 23) — Ohio U v Troy
ST PETERSBURG BOWL (Dec. 26) — Miami-Ohio v Mississippi State
COTTON BOWL (Jan. 2) — Western Michigan v Wisconsin

The MAC Bowl line up is about the same caliber.

CAMELIA BOWL (Dec. 17) — Toledo v Appalachian State
MIAMI BEACH BOWL (Dec. 19) — Central Michigan v. Tulsa
BAHAMAS BOWL (Dec. 23) — Eastern Michigan v Old Dominion
DOLLAR GENERAL BOWL (Dec. 23) — Ohio U v Troy
ST PETERSBURG BOWL (Dec. 26) — Miami-Ohio v Mississippi State
COTTON BOWL (Jan. 2) — Western Michigan v Wisconsin
Western Michigan is going to get run out of Dallas in that one.

Our bowl on the 19th sucks for another big reason. Bowl teams get 15 extra practices, right? Coach Monty said we "might" get in 10 more before the game. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

Our bowl on the 19th sucks for another big reason. Bowl teams get 15 extra practices, right? Coach Monty said we "might" get in 10 more before the game. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

Good point!! I doubt we'll need any practices to beat these guys though...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT