ADVERTISEMENT

Is the general election locked in?

TUMe

I.T.S. Legend
Dec 3, 2003
Regardless of the results the timing of elections has changed a lot in recent years. With more early voting and absentee voting it almost takes an OMG event to have much last minute effect. Gone are the days when bad weather in the farm states keeps people from the polls. Most people hang up on calls about politics whether it's from their party or not. Since fewer people use the print media for their news, a late endorsement by papers doesn't carry the weight it once did.

I'm not saying the Republicans are going to take the Senate. There are too many close races in key states to draw that conclusion. I'm just saying an October Surprise would have to be a big one. Still with so many close races Tuesday night will be something worth watching TV for. Perhaps with the sound turned down so that you see the numbers and don't hear the constant talk of the instant experts.

Just my opine on those elelctions, but I've always felt that voters fall into 4 categories - 1. The uninformed/misinformed/band wagon group - those that just don't keep up on the issues and don't particularly care about the specifics. 2. The hard core folks that are blinded to reality and just vote for their level of comfort. 3. Those that understand, comprehend and vote FOR the best candidate or AGAINST the most dangerous candidate. 4. Those that vote completely on fear or anger. (*Also any combination of the above).

We'd be better off as a country if all voters could be in that third category.

imo

I agree it would be best to be informed. But with all the BS, half truths, outright lies, fairy tales, and legends of mythic deeds that come from both sides of the aisle..... its difficult to know what to do.

I'm not proud of it, but I usually just vote for whoever's lies I liked the best.

I would wager that most people are cluless on the candidates. And the issues.

The worst invention ever is the straight party lever.

rabid....

You might add that there are always those that vote the party line no matter how incompetent their candidate(s) is(are)...

Originally posted by TU Sepp:
rabid....

You might add that there are always those that vote the party line no matter how incompetent their candidate(s) is(are)...
Good point! What's that old saying from W F Buckley? "Vote for the most conservative candidate who can win." That works in the primaries and one I try to abide by. After that, in the general election, its "the most conservative candidate, period."

If the results weren't locked in a week ago when I wrote this they will be mostly locked in by Tomorrow morning. I say mostly because a few states may have to go to run-offs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT