ADVERTISEMENT

The State of TU Men's Basketball

We have little residual tradition to build on at this point having squandered the goodwill and reputation we had built.

So we are starting over for sure. Hope we can muster the will to do it.
Doubt there is another obscure coach looking for a break into the NCAA level with an entire team graduating from the Junior College he/she coaches at. Yep, I said he/she because at this point I am not above hiring a woman for our Men's program.

Not sure about at TU but there was a serious consideration of Pat Summit moving from the women’s program at Tennessee to the men’s program.

Reactions: TU 1978
Here's the question. Is Haith worth keeping so we can keep our one and only 4 star HS recruit in the last 20+ years? In all honesty, I'd rather see another team full of mid to low 3 stars like Harrison, Woodard, Ray, who were coached well rather than seeing Haith run another talented kid into the ground.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Here's the question. Is Haith worth keeping so we can keep our one and only 4 star HS recruit in the last 20+ years? In all honesty, I'd rather see another team full of mid to low 3 stars like Harrison, Woodard, Ray, who were coached well rather than seeing Haith run another talented kid into the ground.
I think you take your chances that the recruits might love the University and the new Coach. Michael Ruffin's coach that signed him (Tubby) left and he stayed with Tulsa and played for Robnson and Self.

I think you take your chances that the recruits might love the University and the new Coach. Michael Ruffin's coach that signed him (Tubby) left and he stayed with Tulsa and played for Robnson and Self.
Times have changed. If the kid is talented enough that we would really hope he stays for the new coach, then he’s talented enough to get poached by another program. Jordan Clarkson is a perfect example as was EMAC.

The difference is really the situation. Is the outgoing coach being fired or is he leaving for better pastures after building a successful team. Kids (like Woodard, Harrison, etc… ) will stay for a successful team with a new coach who has potential. They won’t stay for a complete rebuild.

Times have changed. If the kid is talented enough that we would really hope he stays for the new coach, then he’s talented enough to get poached by another program. Jordan Clarkson is a perfect example as was EMAC.

The difference is really the situation. Is the outgoing coach being fired or is he leaving for better pastures after building a successful team. Kids (like Woodard, Harrison, etc… ) will stay for a successful team with a new coach who has potential. They won’t stay for a complete rebuild.
Maybe I'm too negative but I just don't think that one player, unless he's a generational talent, will be enough for Frank to get us over the hump, and then not for more than a year or two. So I can see several flavors of disappointment with Frank but not much else. If the best case with Frank isn't good enough, then there's not really any risk of moving on.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm too negative but I just don't think that one player, unless he's a generational talent, will be enough for Frank to get us over the hump, and then not for a year or two. So I can see several flavors of disappointment with Frank but not much else. If the best case with Frank isn't good enough, then there's not really any risk of moving on.
Bingo.

Reactions: rusty-c
I think our AD and President are both in the "state of denial" concerning our mens basketball program...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT