ADVERTISEMENT

Independence Bowl Game Thread

Good comeback!!! After watching the game I decided to read the comments. I had to laugh about some of them. One would have thought we were going to lose by 100 points. The fact is we only lost by three and had a good chance to win the game. Do we need more talent, of course but this team fought all year and I would say for the talent level we had they were successful. Monty got a lot more out of them than the previous administration. I say congratulations for a great turnaround year. Good job team and coaches.

Tulsa lost. Defense sucked bad. 6-7 and losing to .500 so-so teams makes you feel good, then that's awesome for you!

BTW: Does anyone know what happened to the Arc at the end of Raiders? Like, what was that at the end? Some sort of Army warehouse I know... but weird ending imo.

This is a team on the rise. A great year for a new coach taking on a team with many weaknesses.

If we are 6-7 two years down the road I will be as upset as anyone. But we are on a positive trajectory. Why not enjoy it?

Reactions: TulsaCane95
It's strange but I am not upset with the loss tonight. I got a chance to watch KEY play his final game and we almost shocked everyone by pulling out the comeback with 2 minutes left in the game. I feel really good about the direction of program.

Last edited:
Tulsa lost. Defense sucked bad. 6-7 and losing to .500 so-so teams makes you feel good, then that's awesome for you!

BTW: Does anyone know what happened to the Arc at the end of Raiders? Like, what was that at the end? Some sort of Army warehouse I know... but weird ending imo.
What makes me feel good is the thought of your face melting Raiders of the Lost Arc style

The Shreveport TV stations were gushing about the game. Happy with attendance and props for Key Garrett who is now topping the NCAA receiving charts.

I count this as a success for the program. The team and fans left a positive impression here.

That was as valiant as a comeback as I've seen. I love the never quit, even where we are outmatched. Defense got owned in the first half and came out to hold them to 9 in the second half. Offense played their hearts out but ran out of time.

I'm sad to not see Tulsa football for a long while. Wish we could have sent these seniors off with the comeback win.

When the game finished, I wanted to punch a hole in the drywall. What kind of defensivei coordinator calls for a blitz on 3rd and 9 not once, not twice, but 3 times? Our defensive team should be lined up and flogged publicly for playing like such pansies. They were ANEMIC. When they offense hangs 52 points on the other team and you still lose, there's really nothing more you can do collectively to try and win the game in possession of the ball. Defense did not even get a single hurry on VTs quarterback all game, let alone a sack. How can a team be so poorly constructed? Not only in terms of scheming, but just a lack of raw athleticism and heart?

Offense can't play BOTH sides of the ball... Would love to hear them bloviate into the mic after the game like they always do... "We'll learn from this, make adjustments, get better, etc." Only way our defense will get better is when a whole new CROP of players replace the sad sacks we have in there now.

This cracks me up. We played a team from a P5 conference and we lost. So they were 6-6, SO WERE WE!!! Last year we were 2-10. It is a great turn around with many of the same players, a new coaching staff and a new system. They have played poorly in some games and they have played very well in some games. If we had hired Brent Venable I would have expected a better defensive game but we hired an offensive guru and we have gotten what we paid for. It will take time to build a defense but we will get there. I can't wait to see what next year brings.

Sometimes we need perspective and the public flogging comment is garbage and over the line. Get out there and play the game before you make comments like that. Better yet, never make comments like that. I stand by coach Monty and his statement at the end of the game that he was proud of his team.

I think Billy Tubbs said it best: " if we score less than 100 points and we lose, it's the players fault... If we score more than 100 points and we lose, it's the coaches fault"... I think 50 is the football equivalent of basketballs 100... Monty and his defensive staff blew this game... Dane and company showed up to play.. Need serious upgrade in talent and coaching on the defensive side of the ball... I think old man river was a concession by Monty to someone at the Tulsa World or on the Board of Regents... I doubt he was monty's pick.

Need serious Offensive line help especially on the right side. Need coaching to help the kids with technique. The two sacks at the end were huge.

Great effort on the year. Enjoy it for a week and then it's time to get back to work.

Reactions: TU Pilot
I think Billy Tubbs said it best: " if we score less than 100 points and we lose, it's the players fault... If we score more than 100 points and we lose, it's the coaches fault"... I think 50 is the football equivalent of basketballs 100... Monty and his defensive staff blew this game... Dane and company showed up to play.. Need serious upgrade in talent and coaching on the defensive side of the ball... I think old man river was a concession by Monty to someone at the Tulsa World or on the Board of Regents... I doubt he was monty's pick.

Need serious Offensive line help especially on the right side. Need coaching to help the kids with technique. The two sacks at the end were huge.

Great effort on the year. Enjoy it for a week and then it's time to get back to work.
Almost had the miracle finish, if Atkinson could have snagged the deep slant-in pattern on 2nd down we would have been on their 40 yard-line. For what TU accomplished with its line problems, a win over V-Tech would have made it a fantastic year.

Offense can't play BOTH sides of the ball... Would love to hear them bloviate into the mic after the game like they always do... "We'll learn from this, make adjustments, get better, etc." Only way our defense will get better is when a whole new CROP of players replace the sad sacks we have in there now.

You sound ignorant. Almost to the point where your comments shouldn't justify a response. But I will take the bait. These "sad sacks" and "pansies" that should be "flogged" are actually players who came to practice everyday, worked their asses off, and spent the majority of their career playing in a system that wasn't conducive to success. They are student athletes that went to class everyday and are getting an education for a life beyond football. Sure we need more talent, but say that instead of resorting to name calling.

There are glaring holes in our defense. The lack of tackling was evident, but should not have been surprising to anybody. However, you can't solely focus on poor tackling while ignoring the fact that our defense made 2-3 BIG stops at the end of the game to allow our offense to even have a chance.

Down by 20+ in the third quarter, our team could have given up. We could have seen VT as a big, bad ACC team and Beamer as a legendary coach, but we didn't. We respected them, and in the end, we almost beat a team from the "mighty" P5.

As for me, I'm damn proud of the fight I saw from the team last night, and all year long. The growth was evident. The fight was obvious. PM delivered on his mantra of fun, fast, physical football, and we have a bright future ahead of us.

Fantastic Finish. All the momentum was with TU. VT was gassed. I was at the edge of my seat. Atkinson nearly makes the extended catch to keep the march alive. 4th down...Sack. Game over.
I wasn't overly deflated by that. Awesome comeback to end the season.

In a way it was a fitting finish for Coach Beamer as a winner. Good man!
But how could anyone who wants to play high octane football, after observing the demeanor of Coach Montgomery on the sideline throughout the game, not want to play for him? He keeps his cool and gets very excited after success. He'll be a winner too. And I will enjoy watching TU win again.

Fortunately, public flogging is long sense gone and the discussion of its use on student athletes is pretty much limited to dimwits on message boards.

Some of us on here apparently forgot the past seasons and legacy of BB. We had a good turnaround and change in attitude and focus this year. Thanks to the leaders on the team for continuing to fight yesterday when we were down and considered out by some of you.

I resemble that remark.

couch-potato-cat.jpg

Even after driving back to Tulsa today through several hours of monsoon conditions, I'm still glad I went to the game. Yes, our defense didn't show until the second half & we didn't win the game.

However, hanging 52 on a Beamer Va Tech defense & having the ball near midfield late with a good chance to win was a lot of fun to watch. This TU team never quits & our group never thought the game was over til the very end. I hate any loss, but this was the most entertaining TU loss I can remember.

Beautiful weather, good game atmosphere & a great bowl game!

Im proud of our boys they showed the world Tulsa can score on anyone. Once we fix the defense then sky is the limit. We gave the sooners a scare.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT