ADVERTISEMENT

Independence Bowl Game Thread

We just don't have the size or speed on defense to beat mediocre teams. There is a reason we are 120th on defense...

Bad feeling starting to mount. Tech has adjusted on defense. We aren't capable.

Need some defensive players and new defense coaching.

God awful high school defense! We should ???? Hokies don't need a punter tonight!

We can complain about defense but our western union play calling and passing game isn't helping...

I can't believe that our defense can't stop a gawdawful offense... They are horrible and we're making them look like they should be in the playoffs...

I'm starting to worry that Coach Monty may decide rebuilding a defense from scratch is going to take too long and jump at the best offer that comes along in the near future! I wouldn't blame him, it's a sad situation.

Reactions: TUGrad06
I actually believe Tulsa would give up 100 points if VT wants to do it.

Tulsa will give up the most yards or points in bowl game history????? I want to see it now. Why not?

There's no such thing as bad press IMO. ;-)

Tulsa should make T-shirts: WE SUCK, AND WE KNOW IT!

Reactions: Tulsa76
3rd and 14 so we throw a 4 yard pass??????????????????

This is just plain embarrassing...

....and now a punt return for a TD...

Score 45 - 21... Yikes!!!!!

Crap.

This could get ugly. Like, lose by 30 or 40 ugly.

Time to drink.

I'm going to quit complaining about this game as its a lost cause. Let's just predict final score. I say 90-28 unless the Beamer has mercy and pulls his starters. In that case, 65-31.

I'm going to dinner. Happy New Year to all you great posters on this board!!

2 mins to go in the 4th ... Back from dinner and now eating crow for desert ... Not bad, but the feathers are a b..ch!!

Our guys never ever quit!! I should have remembered this.

Last edited:
Can't remember if I said it on he boards or just in conversation, but I was worried about the D when Monty brought Norwood and it was compounded with hiring old man winter.

Corners are always out of position, the DL seems to always be on a slant in he wrong direction, LBs are slow to react and not plugging holes. We need a defensive overhaul for sure, but on offense GET RID OF THE DAMN CHECK WITH ME CALL AND RUN A PLAY!!!

How many penalties does our center have this year? Unbelievable, especially when he is replacing a reliable veteran center.

And an afterthought......

Has there been any other team in FBS, or football in general, that has their CENTER lead the team in false start calls?

Reactions: Lumpuckeroo
I'm starting to worry that Coach Monty may decide rebuilding a defense from scratch is going to take too long and jump at the best offer that comes along in the near future! I wouldn't blame him, it's a sad situation.

Honestly, I don't think we will have to worry about keeping him...

"Glad you guys took Norwood from us" a Baylor fan .......

Time to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark for the 150th time.... More entertaining. Love Harrison Ford.

Also... go see CREED if you haven't yet. Best Rocky movie since # II.

Quit blaming the coaches. Blame some kids on defense who should be no longer on scholarship following this game.

Call this the Blakenship curse.

Has the record for scoring on every possession in a bowl game been accomplished before?

I'm glad that we held onto BB as long as we did. Should have fired him after 2 years. Were screwed for a couple more years. Dane is doing well. Like his keeping on the read options. Our defense might as well just go home.

And Dane...don't be a puss and try for the first down. Dont slide at 9 yards when you need 1 more for a first.

Not to stick up for out pathetic defense but let's keep in mind that 10 of those points are on the special teams...

Broken record warning...

3rd and 8 = give a 10 yard cushion?

Also, too bad our bds can't catch. Back to back interception drops.

Maybe it is time to bring in the 2nd team defense...
Not so sure the 1st defense even wants to be on the field...
At least they play like they don't want to be on the field...

Beemer shows mercy...
He has their QB take a knee before halftime...

I'm glad that we held onto BB as long as we did. Should have fired him after 2 years. Were screwed for a couple more years. Dane is doing well. Like his keeping on the read options. Our defense might as well just go home.

And Dane...don't be a puss and try for the first down. Dont slide at 9 yards when you need 1 more for a first.

Can you please explain to me how it makes any sense at all to fire Blankenship after his 2nd season when we won the conference championship? I know you like to be a negative nancy but don't just make crap up to be negative. Here's some accurate things you could use:

- Blankenship should've been fired after year 3.
- Our defense is terrible and need quality players at all positions. Depth and starters are a concern.
- OL needs quite a bit of work.

Reactions: JesseTU
+1 cmullins.

In hindsight we would have been better off without BB. But no one knew he was going to recruit subpar talent and think we could "man up" against every team, every year. Firing a man in a championship year is utter stupidity, unless he gets busted with something disgustingly serious.

We need talent. That's true. Our offense is over performing based on coaching. Defense simply relies more on talent, harder to compensate with scheme or coaching.

Recruit!

I believe Monte is in for 4-5 years before we markedly improve and he can jump to a program he thinks he can bring to new heights - like they did with Baylor.

I'm not trying to be negative folks, but their offense is abysmal and we're making them look like super stars... I get it that their defense is good, but offense other than line is good, and we should at least be even with these folks... I hope we make some serious moves to increase our effectiveness on the defensive side of the ball this of season...

Why does our defense make all their offensive players look like All-Americans?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT