ADVERTISEMENT

Hope?

A nice week-end for some MNT guys in Europe. A brace for CP as noted above, that "naughty boy" Wes McKinnie scores off the bench for Juve after being set down by his coach for partying hearty in violation of team covid rules and finally, 20 yr old Daryl Dike is almost single handedly leading Barnsley to that playoff spot for promotion to the Prem. 8 goals in 14 games and 3 in the last 2. I wonder if Beer?halter is getting any ideas about replacing Zardes?
One of those goals for Dike was a diving header and was a thing of beauty. For a guy who is usually the biggest player on the field, he gets lost by defenders an awful lot. Just a testament to how well he moves off the ball and finds small spaces.

CP could have had an added assist on a phenomenal through ball to Havertz who blasted a shot directly into the CP keeper. That CHE lineup with Havertz up top and CP and Mason Mount in what would technically be considered the 7 and 11 was really dangerous and created all sorts of havoc.

Chelsea through to the semi's in the Champions League & CP played a consecutive 90 minutes. On the other hand, Pulisic maybe wishes he hadn't played since Porto players fouled him over ten times, including a couple yellow cards. Just got beat to a pulp but kept on showing his toughness.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Chelsea through to the semi's in the Champions League & CP played a consecutive 90 minutes. On the other hand, Pulisic maybe wishes he hadn't played since Porto players fouled him over ten times, including a couple yellow cards. Just got beat to a pulp but kept on showing his toughness.
That has always been opponents' MO in trying to defend Pulisic. They cannot defend him 1 v 1 as he usually wins those battles and creates a chance for himself or a teammate. There hope is he quits taking defenders on if they beat on him continuously.

There hope is he quits taking defenders on if they beat on him continuously.
It's funny Bla should mention that because, I've been thinking that while he's definitely getting his mojo back, he doesn't seem as direct with the ball at his feet, running at & around people, as he was at the tail-end of last season. Still, if true, 80% of CP's skill is plenty & the other 20% will come. It likes like Tommy Tuchel is now a believer (took him long enough).

Daryl Dike has 5 in the last 5 games & Barnsley is 4 points clear for that 4th place playoff for the 3rd & final promotion spot to the EPL. Whew! Kind of complicated. I think there's only 3 or 4 games left in the Championship season so Barnsley has a real shot to get promoted. And if they're not, Dike will surely end up in the Prem next season. CP will prolly come off the bench today vs Man City in the FA Cup semi's. ( vs these guys, I'm sure he will be needed)

I hope Barnsley miss it by placing third, but if you’ve never watched the playoff final game it’s the most exciting thing in sports. $100 million on the line for the club. Most of the players are guaranteed a bonus of a minimum of £1 million pounds if they win. Most of the losers are out of a job both coaches and players. Indeed many of the older players that win are dropped from the club the following year and can’t get on with others so they are playing for a retirement ballon. It’s absolutely fantastic to watch after sitting through the NFL or NBA regular seasons. Every player desperately wants to win.

Reactions: quincy101
A big match today for Barnsley & Dike. They need a win to take the pressure off making that 4-team playoff for promo to the EPL. Much work still to be done for Dike & the Tykes. Pulisic & Steffen both in the Champions League semi's. Surely an American will lift that trophy for the 1st time ever.

Sebastian Soto is in the EPL next season as the Canaries of Norwich City are promoted. A wonderful chance for him to vastly improve. Jordan Morris with Swansea is also in that Championship playoff. Again, a Yank has a great shot for promotion to the Prem.

Kind of disappointing that Antonee Robinson & Fulham are as good as relegated. He played so well as a winger on that left side he might get picked up by another EPL team. Beer?halter has certainly taken notice. As far as Daryl Dike is concerned, as long as he keeps on scoring for Barnsley, some EPL team will likely pick him up. BTW, his idol as a kid was Chelsea great Didier Drogba. His size & game kind of reminds of Drogba or a young Altidore when he actually scored.

A big match today for Barnsley & Dike. They need a win to take the pressure off making that 4-team playoff for promo to the EPL. Much work still to be done for Dike & the Tykes. Pulisic & Steffen both in the Champions League semi's. Surely an American will lift that trophy for the 1st time ever.

Sebastian Soto is in the EPL next season as the Canaries of Norwich City are promoted. A wonderful chance for him to vastly improve. Jordan Morris with Swansea is also in that Championship playoff. Again, a Yank has a great shot for promotion to the Prem.

Kind of disappointing that Antonee Robinson & Fulham are as good as relegated. He played so well as a winger on that left side he might get picked up by another EPL team. Beer?halter has certainly taken notice. As far as Daryl Dike is concerned, as long as he keeps on scoring for Barnsley, some EPL team will likely pick him up. BTW, his idol as a kid was Chelsea great Didier Drogba. His size & game kind of reminds of Drogba or a young Altidore when he actually scored.
He's a lot like Drogba physically. He cannot quite do what Drogba did with a soccer ball. About 5 years ago, Drogba played in Tulsa with Phoenix Rising (a team he was a player owner with...he is still one of the owners). He took a free kick from about 20 yards out and hammered a hard dipping shot towards the near post. Somehow Fabian Cerda got a hand on it and knocked it wide for a corner. It was ridiculous.

Dike hasn't quite hit that level of control or finesse. Right now he is the bull in the china shop creating havoc in the box. Once he figures out how to add the control and finesse to his physicality, he will be an extra special player.

Dike hasn't quite hit that level of control or finesse.
Maybe not, but the kid is learning fast. Today, for example, Barnsley beats Huddersfield 1-0 in a very important game on a goal from Dike, described by a Brit newspaper as" an overhead kick" by the Tykes "talismanic American striker in an acrobatic finish". Didn't see the goal but it must have been a doozy.

Pulisic with a UCL goal early in the 1st half against Real Madrid and an important road goal. It was a good goal too created off of a good run by CP and played over the top, 1st touch was good and then he had patience in creating an opening and moving Courtois off his line. CP should have an assist or 2 as well as he has fed Werner a couple of times. Werner had an almost empty goal and somehow managed to drill Courtois from 3 yards away. Brilliant little header to Werner's feet led to that. CP, Mount, and Kante have been really good in this one for Chelsea as they carried much of the early play. Real knotted the score later on by keeping the ball alive on a set piece. The goal was a brilliant touch of individual skill.

Jesse Marsch takes over Leipzig.

At this point, does he have too much respect for the gegna to coach the USA?

At this point, does he have too much respect for the gegna to coach the USA?
Is this confirmed? I kept seeing reports yesterday that Marsch to Leibzig had fallen through and they were going after a different coach.

CP becomes the 1st Yank to score in the ChLg semis. His goal (an "away" goal) was typical of him where he dribbles on a diagonal across the goal mouth about 12 yards out & whacks it off the shoulder of a Real Madrid defender into the net. The game was in Madrid & ended up a 1-1 tie which somewhat helps Chelsea in the 2nd leg.

Some irony here in that Chelsea's former #10(Eden Hazard) was on the Real bench when Chelsea's current #10 scored & had a good look @ CP doing it. Wonder what he thought? Hazard was the best player in the EPL for 3 or 4 years & it's a tall order for CP to match him, but it's maybe possible if our guy stays healthy. Unfortunately, CP was subbed out as Hazard was subbed in so they didn't have a chance to compete against each other in that game. Maybe in the 2nd leg as Hazard continues to get fit from a lengthy injury layoff.

CP becomes the 1st Yank to score in the ChLg semis. His goal (an "away" goal) was typical of him where he dribbles on a diagonal across the goal mouth about 12 yards out & whacks it off the shoulder of a Real Madrid defender into the net. The game was in Madrid & ended up a 1-1 tie which somewhat helps Chelsea in the 2nd leg.

Some irony here in that Chelsea's former #10(Eden Hazard) was on the Real bench when Chelsea's current #10 scored & had a good look @ CP doing it. Wonder what he thought? Hazard was the best player in the EPL for 3 or 4 years & it's a tall order for CP to match him, but it's maybe possible if our guy stays healthy. Unfortunately, CP was subbed out as Hazard was subbed in so they didn't have a chance to compete against each other in that game. Maybe in the 2nd leg as Hazard continues to get fit from a lengthy injury layoff.
CP being subbed off was likely more due to him being on a yellow card in the game and Tuchel didn't want to risk him not being available for the 2nd leg. It was a pretty tactical move. And Chelsea wasn't anywhere close to being as dangerous once he came off. They did have a couple of chances but not anything like when CP was on.

Wow! RB Leipzig is a big club in the Bundesliga & has made some noise in the Champions League & Europa League. I'll bet Tyler Adams is just thrilled to have him as a new head coach. Marsch is apparently a good developer of talent, too, judging from the xfer fees paid recently for several Salzburg players. Hope he has a successful career at Leipzig & on up the coaching ladder. We know he's a good motivator based on the gegna that flows in the locker room. BTW, I thought gegna was German for some kind of bodily fluid.

Last edited:
Wow! RB Leipzig is a big club in the Bundesliga & has made some noise in the Champions League & Europa League. I'll bet Tyler Adams is just thrilled to have him as a new head coach. Marsch is apparently a good developer of talent, too, judging from the xfer fees paid recently for several Salzburg players. Hope he has a successful career at Leipzig & on up the coaching ladder.
Agree on all of this except the development part. RB is a really interesting story. They were the first corporate group to view themselves as owning several teams and installing a singular global network of teams including a particular club culture that integrates each of the groups. Tyler Adam’s started out in RB youth, signed for RB New York, then moved to Leipzig. Marsch coached at RB New York, then RB Salzburg, which was arguably a risky step down to step up in the future, now Leipzig. Marsch has been developed more than Adams cause you can’t rely on speed and talent to coach. That is to say, RB has a German based scouting and development group. The two are happy to be together again I’m sure, but Marsch is just a very small part of the plan to develop talent in the RB organization and it’s not within his responsibility. He’s there to coach. Period.

Marsch coached at RB New York, then RB Salzburg
I knew that the Red Bull organization is well organized & extensive but not much else. Hey Huffy, did it originate in New York or in Germany? I'll bet their futbol ownerships have helped sell a small lake's worth of energy drinks.

I knew that the Red Bull organization is well organized & extensive but not much else. Hey Huffy, did it originate in New York or in Germany? I'll bet their futbol ownerships have helped sell a small lake's worth of energy drinks.
Red Bull originated in Salzburg Austria.

The first soccer team they bought was the local Salzburg club after complaints about the club from employees actually. They took a look at it and came up with the global network idea. NY followed a year later in some weird deal with MLS. They’ve scraped plans to buy into Australian but they just bought a Brazilian first division club and that should be interesting.

Very happy for J. Marsch & hope for much success there. Since he has expressed in public a sincere desire to have "some role with the USMNT", I wonder what Leipzig does to that possibility? Can't blame him for sticking with his big-time gig in the Bundesliga if that happens. After this coming WC, who knows?

We know all about the press gushing about Cap'n America here lately. But the following made me feel all warm & fuzzy inside.........(from Joe Cole, a pretty salty midfielder during Frankies heyday)......"he is well liked and respected in the dressing room".

Gio Reyna scores twice vs some 2nd Div team in the German (Pokal) Cup semi final. With Haaland out due to injury, the 18-yr old took over the scoring duty quite nicely. The final will be yummy with Tyler Adam's RB Leipzig vs Gio Reyna's Dortmund side.

C. Pulisic DNP vs a hapless Fulham team as Tommy Tuchel rested him for the 2nd leg of Chelsea's Champions League semi final with Real Madrid on Wednesday. I'd guess roughly half the planet will be watching CP & mates go for a chance at the final.

Holy crap what an assist from CP to all but seal Chelsea's UCL Final berth. About 6 minutes left.

So calm, cool & composed to pick out Mount in front of the net. Both are only 22 yrs-old & the guts of a Chelsea team that looks to do great things this month & for several years thereafter.

Reactions: TU_BLA
So calm, cool & composed to pick out Mount in front of the net. Both are only 22 yrs-old & the guts of a Chelsea team that looks to do great things this month & for several years thereafter.
Yeah, most players, regardless of age, are trying to fire that towards goal and hope they find a hole. CP's skill to create enough space to give him options and his vision and execution of said play were fantastic.

Yeah, most players, regardless of age, are trying to fire that towards goal and hope they find a hole. CP's skill to create enough space to give him options and his vision and execution of said play were fantastic.
One of those goals where the assist is better than the finish. Kind of like a behind the back pass to a layup in basketball.

Reactions: TU_BLA
One of those goals where the assist is better than the finish. Kind of like a behind the back pass to a layup in basketball.
Exactly. Mount gets the credit for the goal but the build up to the pass to CP to free him and then CP finding Mount should not go uncredited.

He is really on fire right now. At least one American is going to be on a champions league winning side? Has an American ever been on a Champion league winner?

He is really on fire right now. At least one American is going to be on a champions league winning side? Has an American ever been on a Champion league winner?
I don't think so. Steffen is basically a pine rider for City but he may get the Carabao Cup final or an EPL match or two once they clinch the title. City is not playing to set a record for points or lowest GA's so he should get some minutes in actual games. If they're playing any teams who are fighting to make top 4 or 7 for UCL or Europe League next season or if City are playing any of the teams trying to avoid relegation, they should be intense games for him to be a part of and not blow offs.

As for CP, I think Tuchel likes bringing him off the bench as his pace and technical skill can really be used to take advantage of tiring defenders. Chelsea really has a ton of options in the attack and can really put teams at disadvantages.

They were saying during the Madrid game that he would be the first American man to play in a champions league final. Barring injury he’ll be in an FA Cup final. I was wondering if that would be a first also

As for CP, I think Tuchel likes bringing him off the bench
Tommy Tuchel may like it, but Christian Pulisic sure as hell doesn't. I'm sure jaws dropped everywhere when CP was not named a starter after scoring Chelsea's only (away) goal in the 1st leg vs Real Madrid. Mine did.

Making the final of the Champions League is a very, very big deal in club futbol & winning it is beyond belief. Except maybe for Real Madrid which won it 4 out of the last 6 years & brought a 19-game unbeaten streak (with 13 wins) to their semi against Chelsea. For example, if Chelsea wins the FA Cup vs Leicester City plus a huge win over Man City in the final, players split around 11 million pounds or over a half mil each (about $750k US). They already got around $450k for making the final. Not chicken feed.

Chelsea is 2 points clear of the 5th spot in the EPL for Ch Lg qualification next season & some tough games coming up including a Ch Lg final tune-up with Man City this Saturday. Doesn't the winner of current Ch Lg get an automatic bid for the next Ch Lg? If so, this gives Chelsea a shot to qualify that way by beating Man City in the final, if they don't finish in the EPL top-4.

Anyway, just a very exciting time for Chelsea fans & USMNT fans where Cap'n America is tearing up all opponents. And let us not forget the MNT's #1 goalie, Zac Steffen, who I think helped City with starts in the group stage & maybe in early knockout rounds. I can't imagine stopping shots in practice from the likes of Aguero, DeBruyne, Foden, et al) What priceless experience! If he lifts the trophy, it will take some of the sting off CP not doing it.

As a tune-up for the teams in the Champions League final, Chelsea played Man City today & beat them 2-1 on the road. CP started but wasn't his usual scintillating self as City took a 1-0 lead & Chelsea came back with 2 goals in the 2nd half to win it. They really needed the 3 points in their battle for at least 4th place in the EPL to qualify for ChLg next year. Man City is a lock to win the Premier League title and could have clinched it today by beating Chelsea. Didn't happen.

They were saying during the Madrid game that he would be the first American man to play in a champions league final. Barring injury he’ll be in an FA Cup final. I was wondering if that would be a first also
No. John Harkes played for Sheffield Wednesday in a 2-1 loss to Arsenal in the 1993 FA Cup Final. He strangely continues to publicly claim that he scored in that game and his Wikipedia says that he did, when it’s clear from the replay that Chris Waddle scored the equalizer that proved not enough. Tim Howard also made two appearances while at United and Everton, winning once.

Fun trivia, if CP wins, expect the media to say that he is the first American to win the champions league. Technically not true, Jovan Kiroski won it after playing as a sub in the group stages then his Dortmund team upset Juve in the final in 1997. Even though he was not on the bench or the team sheet that day, he and several other players qualified as members of the team and champions and he received his medal that day. He’s an interesting story. The first modern American to sign with Manchester United, he was part of their Golden generation signing of Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, Nicky Butt, and Paul Scholes. He couldn’t get a work permit and they never put anything into his development and he was eventually sold to Dortmund. Ferguson has been widely quoted as saying they valued him higher than any of those players except Beckham but they knew he wasn’t going to play. By the time he got to Germany, the train had left the station of sorts.

Here’s the Harkes FA Cup Match. If it was a clean shot, I’d give him the assist, but his pass went through his target and Waddle’s shot had too much suds from defenders in the washer.

Last edited:
USMNT took a blow today. Aaron Long ruptured his Achilles. US cannot absorb any more injuries in the CB position otherwise we'll be calling on guys like Besler and Geoff Cameron and we all know how those games end. Long wasn't perfect but he was a better option than the guys we looked to in the past.

It will be fine.

Long could only play in the center and his reactions are often poor. Berhalter has played him because he’s always available and that experience has helped him.

Chris Richards is the future and a physical specimen. He’s already played in the Bundesliga at both centers and right back. That type of versatility puts you on the team.

Dest, Brooks, Richards, Cannon or maybe Robinson, Brooks, Richards, Dest.

That’s your starting back line this summer and probably next.

And though reasonable minds could differ I think that was always going to be the case.

Last edited:
It will be fine.

Long could only play in the center and his reactions are often poor. Berhalter has played him because he’s always available and that experience has helped him.

Chris Richards is the future and a physical specimen. He’s already played in the Bundesliga at both centers and right back. That type of versatility puts you on the team.

Dest, Brooks, Richards, Cannon or maybe Robinson, Brooks, Richards, Dest.

That’s your starting front line this summer and probably next.

And though reasonable minds could differ I think that was always going to be the case.
I'll be honest, I don't know much about Richards and haven't seen him play a ton. The worry again is depth at the CB position especially knowing Brooks' propensity to get injured at key times. Miazga is fine as a back-up but I cringe to think he may be pressed into full-time duty against the likes of Mexico and WC opponents. We can get away with it in CONCACAF qualifying because CONCACAF, outside of Mexico, just isn't very strong and they don't put a ton of pressure on you in that way. Even Costa Rica...who seems content to wait things out and defend and see if they can steal a goal in the counter (and with Navas that's a definite possibility), but Mexico's speed, creativity, and relentless pressure up front makes things difficult. And Berhalter's counter to that press is to play solid defense and build out of the back when it should be press the crap out of the Mexican backline and force them to go back through Ochoa because that is a disaster waiting to happen for Mexico (like it is for the US). The US finally has the bodies and athleticism and depth to really try to put pressure on teams like Mexico in the back. Chelsea, Dortmund, Juve Werder are always using the US attackers to put pressure on backlines in club play. McKennie is relentless up front and the US has been using him wrong the entire time he's been with the USMNT. Teams game plan to neutralize Pulisic. And then the US needs to figure out how they're going to use Dike.

Dike will solve himself. Meaning if he keeps scoring, he will feature when the US isn’t wanting to defend from the front. Dike is the guy you send to Honduras and Trinidad and put two guys on his back and let him bruise for eighty minutes up and down 90 yards while your mids crash and score. Then you look to him to get a third goal to hold on to the win in the second half because you know both hosts will score at least once.

At home and against Mexico and CR on the road our gaffer defends from the front with either or both Zardes and Sargent.

McKinnie has been played out of position intentionally, both because of injury but also to keep shape. Not everyone can move forward at will even if that’s their best

The dangers in the rear are tied to mismatches. Brooks and Long, OK but could be better, Brooks and Richards is very complementary. Brooks and Ream is a disaster. Brooks and Zimmerman serviceable in concacaf but disaster in Europe. Ream and Zimmerman, fine for concacaf except Mexico. Miazga and Zimmerman disaster. Ream and Richards. It begins and ends with Brooks’ left foot. If we have him and his full attention then we find someone who fits into that natural position alongside him. And it’s pretty simple. Lose him and we are stuck with some disastrous binary matching game of finding guys who have the right foot pairing, who can play nicely together in Berhalters out of the back style and at least one of them is a set piece threat and can move forward and at least one can play alone at times. And that steers you into corners where we are wondering why we have Ream and Zimmerman back there trying to beat Italy with better players available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT