ADVERTISEMENT

Hope?

Dike will solve himself. Meaning if he keeps scoring, he will feature when the US isn’t wanting to defend from the front. Dike is the guy you send to Honduras and Trinidad and put two guys on his back and let him bruise for eighty minutes up and down 90 yards while your mids crash and score. Then you look to him to get a third goal to hold on to the win in the second half because you know both hosts will score at least once.

At home and against Mexico and CR on the road our gaffer defends from the front with either or both Zardes and Sargent.

McKinnie has been played out of position intentionally, both because of injury but also to keep shape. Not everyone can move forward at will even if that’s their best

The dangers in the rear are tied to mismatches. Brooks and Long, OK but could be better, Brooks and Richards is very complementary. Brooks and Ream is a disaster. Brooks and Zimmerman serviceable in concacaf but disaster in Europe. Ream and Zimmerman, fine for concacaf except Mexico. Miazga and Zimmerman disaster. Ream and Richards. It begins and ends with Brooks’ left foot. If we have him and his full attention then we find someone who fits into that natural position alongside him. And it’s pretty simple. Lose him and we are stuck with some disastrous binary matching game of finding guys who have the right foot pairing, who can play nicely together in Berhalters out of the back style and at least one of them is a set piece threat and can move forward and at least one can play alone at times. And that steers you into corners where we are wondering why we have Ream and Zimmerman back there trying to beat Italy with better players available.
Long went down today with a blown Achilles. We probably aren't going to be seeing him for a while. If Omar Gonzalez rears his F' up head. I am going to be screaming at the TV.

Long went down today with a blown Achilles. We probably aren't going to be seeing him for a while. If Omar Gonzalez rears his F' up head. I am going to be screaming at the TV.
Exactly. The loss of Long prompted the discussion. Some of us don’t really think of it as a loss. Me included. He would have been a good depth player. Let’s throw Richards into the deep end this summer so we know what we have next summer. That’s my thinking.

Reactions: quincy101
BTW, Pulisic in the starting 11 for Chelsea today vs Leicester City. Pulisic and Kante have been extremely active. CP has made some ridiculous runs off the ball but doesn't get rewarded with the pass he wants. He and Kante have teamed up a couple of times for some really good scoring chances. Chelsea has yet to find a breakthrough on the scoreboard but one will come soon if they keep playing this way.

Prediction: If either team loses this game, Liverpool is going to knock them out of Champion's League for next season. I think LFC knocks one of them out even if they both end in a draw today.

Reactions: HuffyCane
My guess is Liverpool, Chelsea & both Manchesters. Leicester City will have to be content with that FA Cup & the Europa League. Kante took himself out today as a precaution after feeling some hamstring tightness but Chelsea beat Leicester, 2-1. CP played the full 90 & did OK.

Dike & Barnsley crapped out in the playoff for Prem promotion. Just wonder where the kid will end up next season-whether the EPL or Championship. It won't be with Orlando City.

CP gets a pretty assist on Chelsea's only goal in a loss to Aston Villa in the last game of the EPL season. With the loss, Chelsea appeared to be toast for the ChLg next season, but Tottenham helped them back into qualification by beating Leicester City. No one is predicting a Chelsea Champions League victory next week vs Man City. We'll see.

Dike & Barnsley crapped out in the playoff for Prem promotion. Just wonder where the kid will end up next season-whether the EPL or Championship. It won't be with Orlando City.

CP gets a pretty assist on Chelsea's only goal in a loss to Aston Villa in the last game of the EPL season. With the loss, Chelsea appeared to be toast for the ChLg next season, but Tottenham helped them back into qualification by beating Leicester City. No one is predicting a Chelsea Champions League victory next week vs Man City. We'll see.
Barnsley had a tough road to hoe though. Swansea was good all season. I was a little shocked at the other playoff series. Brentford was down 1-0 to Bournemouth coming into the 2nd leg and ended up winning 3-2 on aggregate.

EPL fight for the top 4 was something fun to watch today. LC goes up 1-0 on a Vardy PK, putting the live table with Liverpool on the outside looking in. Liverpool get a goal late in the 1st half to then have Chelsea on the outside. Spurs tie LC at 1, putting Chelsea back in...but then Chelsea goes down a goal and then 2 while LC goes back up 2-1 over Spurs. Liverpool added a 2nd goal to be up 2-0 and seemingly secure for UCL for next season. Spurs tie LC up at 2 on an OG by Kasper Schmeichel (LC GK). Chelsea back in the top 4 despite being down 2 goals. Spurs get 2 goals late for the final margin while CHE pull a goal back with 20 minutes left.

Since March 15th, Liverpool pulled 26 out of a possible 30 points from their EPL matches after their December/January/February free fall.

Leicester was in the top 4 for something like 200 days this EPL season before falling out on the last day of the season. CHE had been in a free fall under Lampard and Tuchel has them playing some of the best soccer in the world when it comes to club teams right now.

Decision day in EPL is unlike any other league. I wish the NHL, NBA, etc. would have everyone play the final game of the season all at the same time and find their broadcast partners to air every single game.

The roster for the tourney next week was released a few hours ago. No Richards (injury) and no Dike. Which tells me he’s being sold in the window this summer. Here’s the roster. I’m cool with it all around. No Altidore or Zardes. Makes you wonder if Altidore will get a tribute game. Or Bradley.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 4/0), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 21/0)
DEFENDERS (8): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 40/3), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 14/0), Sergiño Dest (Barcelona/ESP; 7/1), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 2/0), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht/BEL; 21/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 42/1), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 10/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 62/0)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 27/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 12/1), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 20/6), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 21/6), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 4/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 9/0)
FORWARDS: (6): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 4/2), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 15/9), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 4/2), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 13/5), Jordan Siebatcheu (Young Boys/SUI; 2/0), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 10/1)

The roster for the tourney next week was released a few hours ago. No Richards (injury) and no Dike. Which tells me he’s being sold in the window this summer. Here’s the roster. I’m cool with it all around. No Altidore or Zardes. Makes you wonder if Altidore will get a tribute game. Or Bradley.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 4/0), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 21/0)
DEFENDERS (8): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 40/3), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 14/0), Sergiño Dest (Barcelona/ESP; 7/1), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 2/0), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht/BEL; 21/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 42/1), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 10/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 62/0)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 27/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 12/1), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 20/6), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 21/6), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 4/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 9/0)
FORWARDS: (6): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 4/2), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 15/9), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 4/2), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 13/5), Jordan Siebatcheu (Young Boys/SUI; 2/0), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 10/1)
Lots of potential on that group. This looks almost as if it's the roster Berhalter may want to use in qualifying. It's pretty solid. I am shocked to see Acosta on here. I know Berhalter likes Lletget because he's pretty reliable and sturdy.

I don't know anything about Siebatcheu...

I have the same feeling about Acosta...just worthless. And speaking of worthless, Tim Ream is just unbelievable on this roster. He rode the pine the entire 2nd half of the season for Fulham, a team that got relegated. One can hope that Huffy is right about him being there for "leadership" & few, if any, minutes.

Glad to see Zardes MIA. I just wonder though, if Beerhalter didn't choose him because he's so "important" to his MLS team, & he will rear his bleached-blond head when the real MNT games begin.

You have to think that Acosta is there to teach the system and because of the injuries. I doubt we see him, or if we do, as a sub against Honduras. I don't think we win the game against Mexico with him back there and I have to believe that the experts see that too. Ream does allow a favorable pairing with Brooks FYI in terms of foot dominance. One intriguing thing that Acosta brings you is that for all of wunderkind, we don't have anyone other than him who takes direct shots on goal from set pieces for their club team and only two others with experience taking elite level set pieces at all and their experience is pretty limited. Reyna may be our best bet there and set pieces may be our only hope of catching Mexico depending on the pace of the game and initial scoring. For that reason, you may see Acosta.

One of the biggest flaws on the roster is that if you play Adams at the 6, Mussah as a pivot, and McKennie in an 8 as a two way, then you have to take McKinnie off if you are chasing the game and need a super sub up top, if you are playing Sargent, Pulisic, and Reyna across the front. But some might like the idea of Reyna as an overlapping midfielder with McKennie off and Sargent, Pulisic, and Weah across the top.

The possibilities are delicious and don't forget Antonee Robinson going forward with his speed on the left side & pumping balls to CP, Sargent, et al. Really anxious to see the youngsters such as Musah, Reyna, Weah and others that are the present & future of the USMNT.

Man, I just hope Tommy Tuchel has enough sense to start CP in the Champions League final vs Zack Steffen and Man City. Pulisic shines in big games & I'm sure he wants this trophy bad. Poor Steffen will not play unless Ederson gets hurt or City is blowing Chelsea away in the biggest club team match in the world every year.

The possibilities are delicious and don't forget Antonee Robinson going forward with his speed on the left side & pumping balls to CP, Sargent, et al. Really anxious to see the youngsters such as Musah, Reyna, Weah and others that are the present & future of the USMNT.

Man, I just hope Tommy Tuchel has enough sense to start CP in the Champions League final vs Zack Steffen and Man City. Pulisic shines in big games & I'm sure he wants this trophy bad. Poor Steffen will not play unless Ederson gets hurt or City is blowing Chelsea away in the biggest club team match in the world every year.
Pulisic needs to be on the field for CHE and he needs to be on with the right complement of players. If Tuchel starts Werner in the middle with Mount on the left and CP on the right, that's a recipe for disaster for CHE against Man City. Mount needs to be playing the 10 and I don't care who you put at the 9 for CHE: Werner, Havertz, Giroud...it makes no difference. Start CP on the left with Mount in the middle, and maybe Havertz or Ziyech/Kovacic on the right. Kante at the 8 (if healthy) and then Jorginho at the 6. CP plays primarily as a pass first guy but his vision is so good he can hit anyone in the middle or drop it back to Mount coming up as support. Mount is also crafty and if you have CP and Mount breaking down City defenders, that's going to lead to opportunities for the others. Also, the pace of both Mount and CP in the attacking 3rd will disrupt City's ability to play high and move forward.

Start CP on the left with Mount in the middle, and maybe Havertz or Ziyech/Kovacic on the right. Kante at the 8 (if healthy) and then Jorginho at the 6. CP plays primarily as a pass first
Totally agree. CP has had most success in his career from that forward, left position and hope that's where T. Tuchel plays him.

Some 3 hours before the world's 2nd most watched sporting event ( and the Super Bowl ain't #1), no one but Tommy Tuchel still knows his starting line-up. I won't be shocked (but I will be pi$$ed) if Tuchel has CP on the bench to start. This game will be tight and and one or two moments of brilliance by a Pulisic could be the difference.

And one hour after game, CP has lifted the trophy as Chelsea beats Man City 1-0. He gets about 25 minutes & helps preserve a victory no one predicted. The first Yank to play in a Ch Lg final and the 1st to win it. His folks (from Hershey, PA) were there & got to celebrate with him. His smile may need surgery to remove.

Saw him just after the match with Zack Steffen & was obviously trying to pick him up. It will be great to see those two on the same side wearing red, white & blue.

And one hour after game, CP has lifted the trophy as Chelsea beats Man City 1-0. He gets about 25 minutes & helps preserve a victory no one predicted. The first Yank to play in a Ch Lg final and the 1st to win it. His folks (from Hershey, PA) were there & got to celebrate with him. His smile may need surgery to remove.

Saw him just after the match with Zack Steffen & was obviously trying to pick him up. It will be great to see those two on the same side wearing red, white & blue.
As noted above: Not the first to win it, but the first to play in the final.

There is no debate (anyone is invited to try) about which club team is currently the best on Planet Earth. ManCity? ManUtd? Real or Atletico Madrid? Bayern Munich? Liverpool? Barcelona? No, no & no...it's Chelsea Football Club.

Bye the bye, do not forget about the USMNT friendly with Switzerland this afternoon at 1300 on ESPN.

As noted above: Not the first to win it, but the first to play in the final.
I read that J. Kirovski did not suit up for Dortmund's win. I guess he was hurt. Still, he must have received the winner's medallion and hopefully a lot of cash. Speaking of cash, Chelsea gets 86 million euros, or about $100 mill. for making it through group & later stages to win it. Each player will receive around $1 million. Not chump change for CP & Co.

I read that J. Kirovski did not suit up for Dortmund's win. I guess he was hurt. Still, he must have received the winner's medallion and hopefully a lot of cash. Speaking of cash, Chelsea gets 86 million euros, or about $100 mill. for making it through group & later stages to win it. Each player will receive around $1 million. Not chump change for CP & Co.
He was a sub in the group stage for several games and instrumental in their advancement into the knockout rounds. He was not on the team sheet for the final, but was still a member of the team at the time and under the applicable rules is recognized as a winner. He got his medal, he was on the stage when they raised the Cup after the game and was paid the bonus. If that’s not being a member of the team winning the Cup, I’m not sure I know what is. Happy for CP, but he wasn’t the first and he didn’t start either. Another player will likely claim that distinction in a year or two. Probably McKinnie if I had to guess.

So, the Swiss beat us 2-1 in that friendly. I sort of expected that with the likes of Acosta & Ream playing the full 90. Tim Ream did not disappoint after failing to clear a ball & Switzerland scoring the winning goal. He will invariably cost the team a goal with his brain-freeze moments. Acosta did virtually nothing except let Swiss attackers scott free through the midfield on his side. We need Tyler Adams desparately in the middle and hope he recovers quickly from that back issue.

Ethan Horvath will be a capable back-up to Steffen. Still hopeful & excited for our prospects in the upcoming tourneys & WC quals with a full squad of our euro contingent.

He was a sub in the group stage for several games and instrumental in their advancement into the knockout rounds. He was not on the team sheet for the final, but was still a member of the team at the time and under the applicable rules is recognized as a winner. He got his medal, he was on the stage when they raised the Cup after the game and was paid the bonus. If that’s not being a member of the team winning the Cup, I’m not sure I know what is. Happy for CP, but he wasn’t the first and he didn’t start either. Another player will likely claim that distinction in a year or two. Probably McKinnie if I had to guess.
Dest at Barca would have that shot as well.
So, the Swiss beat us 2-1 in that friendly. I sort of expected that with the likes of Acosta & Ream playing the full 90. Tim Ream did not disappoint after failing to clear a ball & Switzerland scoring the winning goal. He will invariably cost the team a goal with his brain-freeze moments. Acosta did virtually nothing except let Swiss attackers scott free through the midfield on his side. We need Tyler Adams desparately in the middle and hope he recovers quickly from that back issue.

Ethan Horvath will be a capable back-up to Steffen. Still hopeful & excited for our prospects in the upcoming tourneys & WC quals with a full squad of our euro contingent.
I am assuming Pulisic didn't play in this one either coming straight after the UCL game. There's a big piece. I'm OK with Berhalter trying to figure out who the most capable backups are or trying to decide who should start between 1 and 1A (like Cannon, Dest, Adams, and Robinson at the outside back positions). This is the type of game or set of games it would have been nice to see Dike play in.

A win would be nice vs Honduras tonight, but here's something that seems a bit more important to the USMNT for future reference. If the following play tonight, they will be cap-tied to the US: Musah, Aaronson, Tyler Adams, Ethan Horvath, Mark McKenzie, D. Ochoa, Gio Reyna, Antonee Robinson, Tim Weah and Jordan Siebatcheu. One would hope that Beer?halter gives some minutes to each & every one of these guys.....regardless of the score.

Jozy no longer training with Toronto. Paying a DP not to play and he doesn’t have any takers. They might have to unload him and he might have to re-enter at the vet minimum. Mighty fall.

My gosh, this group just had, basically, their first game together as a team & won it, and their play as a team will only get better and they've got plenty of time & games to get there. I guess Jordan Siebatcheu is a very happy player now for the USA.

In the dark recesses of my lizard brain, I still worry about Musah & Weah getting cap-tied to the USofA. Hopefully they'll get some minutes vs whichever in the final on Sunday.

Honduras was tough but the time wasting in the 2nd half was almost comical if it didn't pi$$ you off so much. Of course their "game plan" was to go straight to a shootout after regulation tied 0-0.
Very happy we didn't allow that to happen although I wouldn't have minded a shoot-out to watch Steffen on PK's and who Beer?halter chose to shoot & how they did.

Last edited:
US defeats Honduras 1-0 on an 89th minute header from Jordan Sebatccheu. Assist(s) came from McKennie and Brendan Aaronson (McKennie hit the primary service and Aaronson got a redirect towards the middle of the box. HOnduras was really focused on Pulisic and really didn't give him any space at all. The backs looked good for the most part. Dest and Robinson started the match on the outsides with Cannon coming on as a sub. Dest looked really good. Jackson Yueill got the start at the 6 and it looked like Lletget got the start at the 8.

US awaits the winner of Mexico and Costa Rica.

The Sebatccheu goal
Jozy would have waved at it with his hand. Sebatcheu was pretty active for the time he was in there. So was Aaronson.

Who is McKenzie, the kid that started at CB with Brooks? I am not familiar with him but he looked pretty solid. What I did like about our backs and MFs yesterday was that if Brooks or McKenzie got forward, we had MFs tracking back to help defend. Reyna and McKennie were noticeable in that aspect. I liked that our backs didn't panic or try to be too physical or aggressive when Honduras got possession near the box. In the past guys like Ream or Miazga would have obliterated the player. We did so well tracking back and helping that the Hondurans really weren't able to play to their deeper players to keep possession.

US vs Mexico on Sunday. I think we're going to see a different US team than the one that played in group play. I think Mexico is in real trouble too. Costa Rica was able to really press Mexico's back line and create issues. Ochoa looked way too casual last night and the backs made a number of mistakes coming out of the back. I hope we have a Caribbean ref crew as well. If we get a crew from any of the Central American Spanish speaking countries we're screwed. Mexico was flopping all over the place last night. If they had gone down like that on the streets Mexican police would have opened up murder investigations. Antuna, Chucky Lozano were the worst offenders. Antuna went down like he took a shotgun blast to the face one time. Replay showed he may have gotten touched on the toe from the challenger who pulled his foot away. Lozano took a touch to the shin once that drew a 7 x 360 barrel roll from Lozano. At one point one of the Costa Rican players told Antuna to "pick your pu**y a** up" in Spanish. Something similar was said to Lozano towards the end of the game that started a pseudo melee and a CONCACAF Sportsmanship review. Like an 8 minute delay.

Game went to PKs. Ochoa is really awful at them. Mexico wins because Costa Rican players couldn't hit the net nor place their shots with any authority.

a local bar.
There's one very good thing about visiting in-laws in Wisconsin, one can bring copius amounts of assorted cheese, brats & of course, the Spotted Cow back home. Thus, I don't need no damn bar with a case of the Cow for company.

There's one very good thing about visiting in-laws in Wisconsin, one can bring copius amounts of assorted cheese, brats & of course, the Spotted Cow back home. Thus, I don't need no damn bar with a case of the Cow for company.
He's talking about getting the broadcast.

Dear God, just play the damn ball up the field instead of trying to make super fine passes i tight spaces under pressure. Mexico scores a minute in because McKenzie tried to play a square ball with no hope of going anywhere and it gets picked off in the box. IS almost concedes a 2nd doing some stupid crap off a GK with Mexico playing high. There is no reasons CB should be taking a goal kick at this level.

Mexico is in fine flopping form tonight. Chucky Lozano has crumpled more times than an Oriental fan tonight. US has found something though and is putting Mexico under some serious pressure when they get the ball on their feet. US is playing a 3-5-2 it looks like.

Holy crap it's been a while since I've seen Tim Weah play. When he's on the field with Pulisic and McKennie the US enters the realm of having world class speed on the pitch. I've been surprised at Tim Ream's steadiness and reliability. Much more so than either Brooks or McKenzie on this night.
Steffen left with an injury. Horvath is in now.

Weah too cute but looks like he will be a starter this time next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT