ADVERTISEMENT

Hope?

God I hope so. Even though your remark was probably meant to be sarcastic.
The US is deep right now, one of the deepest talent pools we've ever had. But we still need to do whatever we can to beat Mexico in the Gold Cup. A double trophy this year would be fantastic as well as a confidence boost headed in WCQs.

God I hope so. Even though your remark was probably meant to be sarcastic.
Nah. I’m serious. Every YouTube video analyzing who they thought we would select for the gold cup and WC qualifying assumed that the Gold Cup squad this year would be our B team. We’re much more focused on qualifying. Another failure to qualify would be disastrous for the USMNT and we would be squandering prime years of international stars like Dest, McKennie, Pulisic, etc...

Reactions: quincy101
So I’ve been watching alot of the Euros and it’s been difficult getting used to the next wave of Germans. I miss Lahm in back as the calming presence, Schweinsteiger doing his thing, and Klose getting his cheap goals. Neuer’s not the same in his older age. And I thought Low resigned a while back. Did I miss something?

Nah. I’m serious. Every YouTube video analyzing who they thought we would select for the gold cup and WC qualifying assumed that the Gold Cup squad this year would be our B team. We’re much more focused on qualifying. Another failure to qualify would be disastrous for the USMNT and we would be squandering prime years of international stars like Dest, McKennie, Pulisic, etc...

So I’ve been watching alot of the Euros and it’s been difficult getting used to the next wave of Germans
I can only speak to the Chelsea-Germans who just finished their 1st season with the Blues. Chelsea's Russian oligarch, Roman Abramovich, spent big bucks on Timo Werner & Kai Havertz who were tearing it up in the Bundesliga. These guys are both under 25 & are the next generation of German stars.

Havertz, for example, won Chelsea's Champions League final vs Man City with their only goal. He is also keeping "die Mineschaft" in the Euro 2020 with goals & assists. Timo Werner was snakebit for Chelsea. So close so many times to scoring that most strikers would have blown their brains out. Not Werner......he kept plugging away & should be ready to rock for Chelsea next season. I'm sure there are others out there, but keep an eye out for these two.

J. Lowe is out as coach after Euro 2020.

Last edited:
Philadelphia Union are teeming with teenagers who can play. Aaronson's little
brother has been playing, and just this weekend a 17 year old (Quinn Sullivan?) scored his first MLS goal with a great bicycle kick to knot their game with Chicago.

So I’ve been watching alot of the Euros and it’s been difficult getting used to the next wave of Germans. I miss Lahm in back as the calming presence, Schweinsteiger doing his thing, and Klose getting his cheap goals. Neuer’s not the same in his older age. And I thought Low resigned a while back. Did I miss something?
The old German team was awesome. Interestingly, that team had very few non Bundesliga players. It just looks like the German team currently has very few good young players like the 2014 one did. There’s not enough you talents like Schurrle, Gotze, Müller, and Ginter were back in 2014. The seem like they’re stuck in the same place USA was after Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, Jones, Zusi, and Johnson all lost their edge and/or left the program.

The old German team was awesome. Interestingly, that team had very few non Bundesliga players. It just looks like the German team currently has very few good young players like the 2014 one did. There’s not enough you talents like Schurrle, Gotze, Müller, and Ginter were back in 2014. The seem like they’re stuck in the same place USA was after Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, Jones, Zusi, and Johnson all lost their edge and/or left the program.
I was a fan of Ozil but it seems like the German players who get to play in EPL lose their edge and the chip on their shoulder. It also seems that the current band of German players is a ton of finesse...they play more like Brazil (or try to) except the thing that always made them so good was their toughness and physicality and discipline. They've got a ton of talented players but not a ton of chemistry and I see guys like Werner as soft. No one on that German team is going to make a guy like Sterling think twice about trying to cut into the middle of the field. Quite honestly, England and Germany seem to have swapped their traditional personas.

That 2-1 loss vs Switzerland back in May is looking better all the time. The Swiss have bounced the defending world champs-the Frogs-and came very close to doing the same to Spain today. Took the Spaniards to a shootout a man short. Spain's only goal in the run of play was a Swiss own goal.

I recall only a few of our Euro guys (Reyna, McKennie, Horvath & Aronson along with LLetget who scored. Just hope Beer?halter doesn't screw up our personnel for qualification.

The first half of Belgium/Italy was entertaining but as the game winds down the Italians are as fragile as fine China.

The first half of Belgium/Italy was entertaining but as the game winds down the Italians are as fragile as fine China.
You want to see fragile, watch any game Argentina is playing. The game against Ecuador was damn near impossible to watch because any time an Ecudoran player got within a meter of an Argentine the Argentine went down like he'd been shot with a .57 magnum at close range. It was embarrassing. Fix the diving in the box where if upon review it is clear you're taking a dive, the other team should be awarded a PK. That would stop the nonsense

So Pulisic gets the start for Chelsea be Crystal Palace today alongside Mount with Werner at the 9. Not sure if this is going to be the regular starting 11 for Chelsea or not as this was not the same group who started midweek in the UEFA Super Cup finale vs Villarreal. I would like to think Tuchel was placing g more importance in getting a W in the EPL opener vs a glorified exhibition. We'll see.

A lot of good matchups to open EPL today. ManU vs Leeds, Chelsea vs Crystal Palace, a rebuilt Everton vs Southampton, Leicester City vs Wolves (with Jimenez returning). Later Norwich plays Liverpool. Wonder if Sargent gets the starting nod in that one. Will be interesting to see what he can do going against the likes of Virgil and Joe Gomez

Pulisic with a goal in the 40' minute to put Chelsea up 2-0. He's been really active already with a couple of fantastic chances on goal and winning free kicks in the attacking 1/3. Tuchel has to know his team is at its best when both Pulisic and Mount are in together right?

So Pulisic gets the start for Chelsea be Crystal Palace today alongside Mount with Werner at the 9. Not sure if this is going to be the regular starting 11 for Chelsea or not as this was not the same group who started midweek in the UEFA Super Cup finale vs Villarreal. I would like to think Tuchel was placing g more importance in getting a W in the EPL opener vs a glorified exhibition. We'll see.

A lot of good matchups to open EPL today. ManU vs Leeds, Chelsea vs Crystal Palace, a rebuilt Everton vs Southampton, Leicester City vs Wolves (with Jimenez returning). Later Norwich plays Liverpool. Wonder if Sargent gets the starting nod in that one. Will be interesting to see what he can do going against the likes of Virgil and Joe Gomez
Norwich was really outmanned against Liverpool. I hope they give Sargent a chance, he looks like he deserves more than 13 minutes in a blowout loss.

CP, as he is wont to do, attacks the net with every shot coming in & got rewarded with his goal. He started because Hakim Ziyech is injured. Maybe his play today finally gets some starts from Tuchel even when Ziyech is healthy.

I thought Pukki, the main scoring threat for Norwich, had been traded elsewhere. Guess not since he started today. If Pukki goes, or fails to score for the Canaries, Sargent should get his minutes.

Jonathan Klinsmann gets the start in goal for LA Galaxy today. I'm a fan of Klinsmann's...he's got excellent feet for a GK and good instincts. That's always a good combo for GKs. The one knock that I've noticed in games he's played for the Galaxy is he's always looking to go fast and sometimes that simple roll out in front to let the D play out of the back is the right play.

Klinsmann was an absolute beast today between the pipes for LA. Win 1-0 and Minnesota had several excellent chances to find a goal or 2 and Klinsmann made some great saves. LA was pretty good but Klinsmann really stole the W for them today. I've been a fan of his since his U20 showing in the WC for the U20 US team. I'd put him on the same level as Steffen, Turner, and Horvath and honestly he's a lot better with his feet than any of those 3.

More MNT news: Brendan Aaronson scores a late winner for RB Salzburg in a ChLg playoff. If Salzburg wins again, they are in the ChLg for this season & more valuable experience for Aaronson.

Matt Miazga is very close to a loan-out from Chelsea to Alaves in La Liga. If it happens, Miazga finally reaches the big time & his experience there will only help his career.

Finally, many on here love Matthew Hoppe for our WC quals. It looks like he will soon be in the Prem as Newcastle is taking a good hard look at him. He is also being looked at by Wolverhampton & newly promoted Brentford. A move to the Premier League is just what the doctor ordered for this kid.

Hopefully, Beer?halter is taking all this in.

Reactions: TU_BLA
More MNT news: Brendan Aaronson scores a late winner for RB Salzburg in a ChLg playoff. If Salzburg wins again, they are in the ChLg for this season & more valuable experience for Aaronson.

Matt Miazga is very close to a loan-out from Chelsea to Alaves in La Liga. If it happens, Miazga finally reaches the big time & his experience there will only help his career.

Finally, many on here love Matthew Hoppe for our WC quals. It looks like he will soon be in the Prem as Newcastle is taking a good hard look at him. He is also being looked at by Wolverhampton & newly promoted Brentford. A move to the Premier League is just what the doctor ordered for this kid.

Hopefully, Beer?halter is taking all this in.
Aaronson's little brother Paxten has been playing really well in Philly too...as a 17 year old. It wouldn't surprise me if he makes an overseas move before too long. Kid is super talented. Seattle and LA Galaxy have some teenagers in their systems who are really talented as well. Believe it was Seattle that started a 15 year old not too long ago (along with 4 other teenagers). It was funny watching this 15 year old kid play alongside 34 year old Fredy Monteiro.

CP tests positive for Covid & is the only Chelsea player listed with it. So much for starting against Arsenal this Sunday. Methinks the lad likes to party too much. Matt Miazga signs an extension to his Chelsea contract & promptly heads to La Liga on loan with Alaves- a bottom feeder in the league.

CP has been vaccinated & is asymptomatic. Has to isolate for 10-now 8 or 9 days.

Last edited:
I wondered why Wes McKennie was not in the squad yesterday for Juventus's opening day win. Turns out it is yellow card accumulation from last season. Also, there are several clubs interested in him but no one knows how much Juve's new coach likes him or wants to keep him.

I wondered why Wes McKennie was not in the squad yesterday for Juventus's opening day win. Turns out it is yellow card accumulation from last season. Also, there are several clubs interested in him but no one knows how much Juve's new coach likes him or wants to keep him.
Linked to Tottenham where the old GM from Juve went. Also Aston Villa and one or two others.

I feel bad for Sargent. That team looks like they’re relegation material. Their defense was just piss poor and their players were repeatedly quitting on plays before they were over against Man City.

I know anyone will struggle to some degree against Man City right now, but that was an embarrassment.

I feel bad for Sargent. That team looks like they’re relegation material. Their defense was just piss poor and their players were repeatedly quitting on plays before they were over against Man City.

I know anyone will struggle to some degree against Man City right now, but that was an embarrassment.
Norwich is an awful side with almost zero hope of remaining in EPL past this season. Of the new sides that won promotion, I think Brentford has the best opportunity to stick this season. I think Norwich City, Newcastle, Burnley, and Arsenal are the biggest candidates for relegation. Arsenal is a bloody train wreck at the moment and they just look lost in all aspects of the game right now.

I feel bad for Sargent
Pukki, the Finnish striker for Norwich, hasn't done squat in two games. If this keeps up, I expect to see lots of Josh Sargent for the Canaries in his biggest chance yet to shine.

I think CP comes off quarantine one day before Beer?halter's call up for those 3 qualifiers in early Sept. If he tests negative-great. If positive again, Cap'n America will likely be MIA those 3 games.

Aston's right about Tottenham interest in Wes McKennie, to the tune of around $ 30 Mill. Xfer window is only open until end of month. Please, let it be so!

Last edited:
I think CP comes off quarantine one day before Beer?halter's call up for those 3 qualifiers in early Sept. If he tests negative-great. If positive again, Cap'n America will likely be MIA those 3 games.
So something I have learned recently is you can test positive for up to 3 months after your first positive test. This is why the guidance is 10 days past the point of exposure (if known) and you are symptom free with 48 hrs fever free (some are using 24 hrs fever free) or 10 days from the initial positive test and 48 hours fever free. It's tough when you don't have symptoms and you only go get tested because someone tells you they're positive. If CP tested positive say last Thursday, then you're looking at August 29th as long as he remains symptom free.

Sargent has 2 for Norwich today in Carabao Cup action vs Bournemouth. Norwich has a 6-0 lead. Considering Bournemouth is a recently relegated team and Norwich a recently promoted team, they should be fairly equal but apparently that is not the case.

Sounds like Ricardo Pepi has been called in for the upcoming qualifiers. 18 yrs old. They mentioned even if he plays in all 3 games he is not technically cap tied to the US because he's under 21. I don't know what the rule is regarding that

No real shockers or surprises except for maybe Pepi over Hoppe at forward. Pepi has been playing well for FC Dallas but that's not the same as the level Hoppe has been playing at in a better league and internationally. And for the first time in a long time, I don't cringe when I see the pool of players on the backline. Lots of good solid players there. No surprises in goal...3 best American GKs being called in.

finally a roster that makes me think we should run the table in CONCACAF qualifying (barring unforeseen injuries or circumstances like Euro teams being douches about letting players play like Liverpool not allowing Sarah to go be part of Egypt's qualifiers. FIFA should absolutely mandate players are free to go participate.

Never heard of Bello or Pefok. But otherwise, I think I like it.
Pefok is Sebatcheu. Bello's a 19 year old left back. He plays for Atlanta United. He's on the roster for training and qualifying but with the plethora of good outside backs we have, I can't see him playing meaningful minutes without a rash of injuries or the US blowing a side out.

Ream's a defender.
When he's not ball watching or getting smoked by some midfielder or failing to close down an attacker in front of the net. But, for reasons known only to Beer?halter, he will be called up. Same with Acosta. They both will cost the USA in goals, red cards or penalties-mark it down.

I too, in general, like this call-up, although I wonder why there are 7 listed forwards and only 5 midfielders?? Aaronson can play on the flank and has for his club team. Don't think the rest of them has.

When he's not ball watching or getting smoked by some midfielder or failing to close down an attacker in front of the net. But, for reasons known only to Beer?halter, he will be called up. Same with Acosta. They both will cost the USA in goals, red cards or penalties-mark it down.

I too, in general, like this call-up, although I wonder why there are 7 listed forwards and only 5 midfielders?? Aaronson can play on the flank and has for his club team. Don't think the rest of them has.
My guess is if Ream makes the 20 for the game day roster, he comes off the bench and subs off one of the attacking mids late in games where the US has a lead and they likely switch to 5 in the back leaving Ream, Brooks, McKenzie/Robinson as the CBs. We have too much talent out there at the wing defender spots for Ream to take up that space. I 100% think we go with Dest and Antonee Robinson at the wing defenders to start with Yedlin as a back-up. Who I don't see on there is Reggie Cannon who I have always thought of as a good solid guy out there, plays both ways, etc. If Berhalter goes with a 3-5-2, fully expect Ream to be in the 3.

As for the # of MFs and F's...it's a list. Pulisic, Reyna, an Aaronson all have the ability and experience to play either the 8 or the 10 as well. This is the lineup I think we get:

GK: Pick One...we're in good hands with this group
2:A Robinson
3: Dest
4: Brooks
5: M Robinson
6: Adams
7: Reyna
8: McKennie
9: Sargent
10: Lletget
11: Pulisic

I'm not crazy about Lletget in the 10 but I think that's where Berhalter goes and that's where Lletget seems to get his minutes. He could put McKennie at the 10 but if he does that I expect Reyna moves inside and we get Weah on the right wing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT