ADVERTISEMENT

Hope?

With the final roster just getting called up, they will only get better.

HOLY CRAP!!!! US 3 El Tri 2. Horvath saves a PK at the end to keep the US ahead.
Mexico devolved to thuggery at the end with some cheap shots on Pulisic. McKennie is a bad ass. Game stopped once for derogatory chants from Mexican fans...even Mexican players were pleading for it to stop. Pulisic scored a PK to win it and Gio Reyna gets hit in the head with a bottle thrown by Mexican fans. Later, more bottles dying in and one hits a Mexican player. Mexican fans should be banned by CONCACAF for the next year, even in Mexico. Ridiculous that players have to dodge bottles from Mexican fans in every game. It's just ridiculous.

McKinnie got the memo from the vets and the Old Boys. He was distributing the business throughout and always ready to go whenever the argy bargy started up.

Reactions: TU_BLA
HOLY CRAP!!!! US 3 El Tri 2. Horvath saves a PK at the end to keep the US ahead.
Mexico devolved to thuggery at the end with some cheap shots on Pulisic. McKennie is a bad ass. Game stopped once for derogatory chants from Mexican fans...even Mexican players were pleading for it to stop. Pulisic scored a PK to win it and Gio Reyna gets hit in the head with a bottle thrown by Mexican fans. Later, more bottles dying in and one hits a Mexican player. Mexican fans should be banned by CONCACAF for the next year, even in Mexico. Ridiculous that players have to dodge bottles from Mexican fans in every game. It's just ridiculous.
Interesting tidbit I heard from a friend out there. That stadium has a protocol to remove the entire section if even one bottle gets thrown. Security moves them out and they know how to do it. But CONCACAF ....

Reactions: Gmoney4WW and Gold*
With the final roster just getting called up, they will only get better.
US needs to negotiate with Dortmund to have Reyna around for the Gold Cup. There's no reason preseason should take priority over a Cup competition. Doesn't it reason that playing in that competition keeps Reyna playing at a high level instead of playing in 2-3 closed door scrimmages against 4th division beer clubs in Germany?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW and Gold*
US needs to negotiate with Dortmund to have Reyna around for the Gold Cup. There's no reason preseason should take priority over a Cup competition. Doesn't it reason that playing in that competition keeps Reyna playing at a high level instead of playing in 2-3 closed door scrimmages against 4th division beer clubs in Germany?
They have to release for the Gold Cup. If he’s not coming, it’s him.

That game was so crazy. It had everything. I was going to say the aliens would land but I figured it would get me in trouble on Twitter.

Anyone see the picture with Herrerra choking McKennie during one of the exchanges? Dude should have been out of the game about 5 times. Mexico fans were bitching about the Pulisic VAR result. I didn't know we were allowing American Football tackles in Futbol these days!?!?!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Anyone see the picture with Herrerra choking McKennie during one of the exchanges? Dude should have been out of the game about 5 times. Mexico fans were bitching about the Pulisic VAR result. I didn't know we were allowing American Football tackles in Futbol these days!?!?!
The argument was is the defender got a piece of the ball. The problem was he cut through Pulisic and took out his legs to get to the ball. No can do. Everyone thinks a touch on the ball is magic and wipes everything out. It doesn't. The same with the "shoulder to shoulder". One of the Mexican players argued about a foul call and he tapped his shoulder several times. He used his shoulder, that was true, but he laid the shoulder into the back of the defender.

I hate the way the game has devolved into a bunch of delicate pussies rolling around like they've been shot with a sniper rifle at close range the second anyone gets within whispering range. It's exhausting watching entire teams stop to whine about a handball instead of playing to actually score a goal. No one plays to score anymore...they all play to draw fouls and PKs.

It was refreshing watching the US finally have someone to dominate on set pieces and headers. McKennie clearly coukd out jump everyone on the pitch and the number of good chances the US generated off corners will help them in Gold Cup and WCQ. And the US seemingly has speed to spare up top. If they pressure other, less dangerous teams the way they pressured Mexico last night, things should go pretty smoothly. Of course teams like Costa Rica will simply try to injure players if the US goes at them with pace. Maybe the dirtiest team in CONCACAF and certainly one of the most dirty teams in the world.
Lainez for Mexico is a problem. Maybe the most dynamic player in their program right now including Antuna & Jimenez. Kid has tickets attached to both feet, incredibly skilled, and the power on his shots from either foot is incredible. Hopefully he doesn't learn the craft of international soccer from Herrera or Guardado. Those two are just gang meme ER s

A kind word for Tim Ream?? He was responsible for Mexico's 2nd and , of course, McKenzie gifted Mex their first. Has the US ever had a world class defender? And please, do not say Lalas.

You would have thought it was played in Mex City........with thin air & a Mexican crowd way bigger than US fans........not to mention usual Mex fan behavior of throwing anything they can get their hands on at US players. Denver Mile High security was non-existent. I imagine they didn't want to be considered non-PC by tossing out the perps who happened to be minorities.

All in all in this bizarre spectacle, I really liked the "fight back" of our US side. In most years past, the Mexicans would have rolled us. This win will give us confidence & the Mexicans something to worry about in future when the games that really count begin.

Reactions: HuffyCane
The argument was is the defender got a piece of the ball. The problem was he cut through Pulisic and took out his legs to get to the ball. No can do. Everyone thinks a touch on the ball is magic and wipes everything out. It doesn't. The same with the "shoulder to shoulder". One of the Mexican players argued about a foul call and he tapped his shoulder several times. He used his shoulder, that was true, but he laid the shoulder into the back of the defender.

I hate the way the game has devolved into a bunch of delicate pussies rolling around like they've been shot with a sniper rifle at close range the second anyone gets within whispering range. It's exhausting watching entire teams stop to whine about a handball instead of playing to actually score a goal. No one plays to score anymore...they all play to draw fouls and PKs.

It was refreshing watching the US finally have someone to dominate on set pieces and headers. McKennie clearly coukd out jump everyone on the pitch and the number of good chances the US generated off corners will help them in Gold Cup and WCQ. And the US seemingly has speed to spare up top. If they pressure other, less dangerous teams the way they pressured Mexico last night, things should go pretty smoothly. Of course teams like Costa Rica will simply try to injure players if the US goes at them with pace. Maybe the dirtiest team in CONCACAF and certainly one of the most dirty teams in the world.
Lainez for Mexico is a problem. Maybe the most dynamic player in their program right now including Antuna & Jimenez. Kid has tickets attached to both feet, incredibly skilled, and the power on his shots from either foot is incredible. Hopefully he doesn't learn the craft of international soccer from Herrera or Guardado. Those two are just gang meme ER s
I agree with you on Laine’s. Any time he touched the ball my heart stopped for a moment. I was just astounded with how little offensive possession we could manage after the 2nd USA goal. Every time we got a defensive stop we gave it right back to the Mexicans.

A kind word for Tim Ream?? He was responsible for Mexico's 2nd and , of course, McKenzie gifted Mex their first. Has the US ever had a world class defender? And please, do not say Lalas.

You would have thought it was played in Mex City........with thin air & a Mexican crowd way bigger than US fans........not to mention usual Mex fan behavior of throwing anything they can get their hands on at US players. Denver Mile High security was non-existent. I imagine they didn't want to be considered non-PC by tossing out the perps who happened to be minorities.

All in all in this bizarre spectacle, I really liked the "fight back" of our US side. In most years past, the Mexicans would have rolled us. This win will give us confidence & the Mexicans something to worry about in future when the games that really count begin.
Again, Ream was the primary defender but the goal wasn't his fault. He pushed Lainez back to the middle where he had help and the help came they just didn't close him down. And the shot was world class too. Low, hard, and back against the GKs movement and the ball was tucked inside the post. Lainez was the feared Mexican player last night. Why he doesn't start instead of Antuna or even Lozano is beyond me. Lozano is a crybaby.

The US had a distinct advantage going forward when they got possession in the attacking 1/3. The US was clearly more athletic and faster than Mexico's backs. When was the last time the US had a world class aerial player like McKennie? Dempsey was close but still nothing compared to McKennie when it comes to athleticism. McKennie may be the most valuable player on this team and when you add Pulisic, Weah, Sebatcheu and then Dest to the attack at once, things get awfully scary for the opposition. I like Sebatcheu a little more than Sargent right now. What Sargent gives the front is a top IQ guy. Always makes the right run, always makes the right pass. And I think I like the 3-5-2 formation as long as Dest/Cannon/Yedlin/Adams know they have to get back.

It wasn't a perfect game for the US. They're still a train wreck trying to force things out of the back. Neither Horvath or Steffen are great at being that play through GK and McKenzie is too young to understand that clearing the ball long in order to regroup and find your shape again is fine. You see the mistake he made in a lot of kids whose coaches are trying to get them to play out of the back so the kids force it instead of clearing it because coach wants them to possess the ball. And this is where I thought Ream was a steady veteran presence. He didn't make any of those types of mistakes. I'm not a huge fan of Ream when they want him to play outside because I just don't think he can make that outside player miss and then start the attack.

There's a lot of good stuff too. The kids went straight at Mexico...none of this Michael Bradley playing pass with the 4 to allow Mexico set up their press. And you could see Mexico knew where Pulisic was at all times. There were always 2-3 defenders lurking to close him down. One of the scariest sights on a pitch right now is Pulisic one on one with a defender. It's a pretty rare sight as well which is why the US had so much space wide for Dest and Yedlin.

In a foot race between Ream & Beer?halter, the coach will win every time. Yet Beer?halter is in love with the guy. Scott Parker, the coach of recently relegated Fulham, got sick & tired of Ream costing his team goals the first half of the EPL season, put him on the bench the 2nd half of the season & I don't remember him playing one minute the rest of the way.

In a foot race between Ream & Beer?halter, the coach will win every time. Yet Beer?halter is in love with the guy. Scott Parker, the coach of recently relegated Fulham, got sick & tired of Ream costing his team goals the first half of the EPL season, put him on the bench the 2nd half of the season & I don't remember him playing one minute the rest of the way.
May be the case but Ream wasn't the reason Lainez scored...that's all I'm saying. Again, I don't think Ream is a true CB in a 4-3-3 or even a 4-4-2 formation, but having him outside in a 3-5-2 and allowing Berhalter to use Yedlin and Dest as MFs seemed OK. Liekwise, Ream is not suitable as one of the outside backs in a 4 D set. I'm not a fan of Ream per se and I'm not advocating for him to be a permanent part of this side moving forward at all. I'm merely posting an observation of his play last night. He was steady. TBH, the 3 in the back were not spectacular, and McKenzie made a couple of HUGE mistakes. Not sure I'd be comfortable with any of them going 1 v 1 with any of Mexico's forwards. Our D was most effective with the MFs tracking back and forcing Mexico to play negative or side to side. McKennie, Dest, Yedlin were all effective in this way. Even Pulisic found his way back and disrupted some.

May be the case but Ream wasn't the reason Lainez scored...that's all I'm saying. Again, I don't think Ream is a true CB in a 4-3-3 or even a 4-4-2 formation, but having him outside in a 3-5-2 and allowing Berhalter to use Yedlin and Dest as MFs seemed OK. Liekwise, Ream is not suitable as one of the outside backs in a 4 D set. I'm not a fan of Ream per se and I'm not advocating for him to be a permanent part of this side moving forward at all. I'm merely posting an observation of his play last night. He was steady. TBH, the 3 in the back were not spectacular, and McKenzie made a couple of HUGE mistakes. Not sure I'd be comfortable with any of them going 1 v 1 with any of Mexico's forwards. Our D was most effective with the MFs tracking back and forcing Mexico to play negative or side to side. McKennie, Dest, Yedlin were all effective in this way. Even Pulisic found his way back and disrupted some.
Ream got dusted. You can't be serious.

The Pusilic VAR was the right call. They had just called something similar, if not lesser, outside the box in favor of Mexico. Of course, that also meant he probably had to call the hand ball.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
US vs Costa Rica in a friendly tonight. Good mix of US first team and their backups playing. Dike started at the 9 with Aaronson and Weah on the outside. Musah is in and apparently is now cap tied to the US as FIFA changed the rule and includes any player who has played 4 or more friendlies is now cap tied. Adam's, Lletget, Ream, McKenzie are all in along with Robinson and Cannon. The group looks good although a little passive defensively, especially after scoring early on. Aaronson gets the goal after a brilliant through ball to Dike who turned and shot but the shot got deflected and fell to Aaronson who roofed it in the goal. Dole scored the second on a brilliant run and through ball and he just waited for the GK to flinch and slotted in near post.
Aaronson should have added an assist as he turned 3 Costa Rican defenders inside out and then slotted a perfect ball through the box that Dike didn't handle and then Musah fired wide.

Not sure what team Costa Rica brought with them for this one but I'd have to assume it's most of their Nations League team with a couple of subs. US' 2nd team is clearly better than the CRC 2nd team.

I didn't see the game. I just saw a couple of highlights

Dike's finish was clinical. He needs to get in the premier league or Bundesliga to work against the highest level. I think it might between him and Sargent. I am not sure he is technical enough, but if he finishes it doesn't matter much.

Is he going to get some run in the MLS in his downtime or do you think Orlando is going to ask for a king's ransom for him? He might have to wait if they ask too much That might lower his value too.

I just had a Facebook memory come up with me at a US qualifier tagging it with "Pulisic is the truth." I still feel like that holds up 4 years later. I still feel like he is the best US player I have ever seen in terms of technical quality.

MLS will be all too eager to sell Dike off for some $$$. He'll probably end up somewhere like Newcastle or West Ham to start and then start a climb. I could also see him in Dortmund once Haaland moves. But Dortmund buying a player at this stage isn't their usual MO. I don't think you'll see him in an Orlando uniform again though.

I've thought that about Pulisic too...but I might start thinking the US also has another super skilled kid in Aaronson. That kid does everything right, is really good in tight space, has great vision. It was impressive that the US scored 4 goals last night and the ages of the goal scorers were 18, 20, 21, and 21. (Reyna, Aaronson, Dike, and Cannon). US is going to be scary in the 2022 WC, but the 2026 WC is essentially going to be the golden age of US soccer, no disrespect to the 1998/2002 or the 2010 teams.

MLS will be all too eager to sell Dike off for some $$$. He'll probably end up somewhere like Newcastle or West Ham to start and then start a climb. I could also see him in Dortmund once Haaland moves. But Dortmund buying a player at this stage isn't their usual MO. I don't think you'll see him in an Orlando uniform again though.

I've thought that about Pulisic too...but I might start thinking the US also has another super skilled kid in Aaronson. That kid does everything right, is really good in tight space, has great vision. It was impressive that the US scored 4 goals last night and the ages of the goal scorers were 18, 20, 21, and 21. (Reyna, Aaronson, Dike, and Cannon). US is going to be scary in the 2022 WC, but the 2026 WC is essentially going to be the golden age of US soccer, no disrespect to the 1998/2002 or the 2010 teams.
I hear there’s an issue with Dike’s contract. Which isn’t surprising since Billy Beane of Moneyball fame has an ownership interest in Barnsley. MLS believes they are entitled to the full value of the player in a lump sum instead of an option and sale on with a portion to MLS. Unlike in America, if you buy a player, you often have to kick back a portion of the cost to sign the player to the clubs that discovered or developed the player. That’s called a “sale on clause.” So clubs develop players and make a bundle. Still others give discovered players a platform and sell them freely to the best offer regardless of whether it is good for the player or it results in a lower fee for the developing team. MLS want $20 million up front. What they think the full value should be over his career. Barnsley thinks the option is $3 million and wants to sign and sell quickly on and reap the quick profit. MLS is crying foul because they don’t want him sold to some BS team in Turkey or Norway. And don’t want a lower sale on than they would normally get. It could get interesting.

I didn't see the game. I just saw a couple of highlights

Dike's finish was clinical. He needs to get in the premier league or Bundesliga to work against the highest level. I think it might between him and Sargent. I am not sure he is technical enough, but if he finishes it doesn't matter much.

Is he going to get some run in the MLS in his downtime or do you think Orlando is going to ask for a king's ransom for him? He might have to wait if they ask too much That might lower his value too.

I just had a Facebook memory come up with me at a US qualifier tagging it with "Pulisic is the truth." I still feel like that holds up 4 years later. I still feel like he is the best US player I have ever seen in terms of technical quality.
They’ve already turned down $30 million if you believe silly rumors.

You could make an argument for Steve Cherundolo. Turned down Manchester United and Bolton to stay at Hannover in the Bundesliga. Team captain. Retired with the longest active streak of continuous appearances for his club. North of 400 iirc. They named part of the stadium after him when he retired.

Eddie Pope was the legend that never was. His WAG was in the country illegally so he couldn’t leave. Most people say he could have at least signed with any club in the world he wanted to play at. Whether he would have played is less certain. He was a stud though.

This is the first game I’ve watched in years where the hangover of Klinsmann era apathy is gone. Whether that’s him being gone or the retirement of players like Howard and Jones and Bradley overstaying to sell tickets and undermining morale is a good question.

You could make an argument for Steve Cherundolo.
How ironic that Huffy should mention Steve Cherundolo as a great USA defender, since at halftime of the US vs CR game, Cherundolo was surprised by the US Soccer HoF selection announcement.

I just can't explain Beer?halter's love affair with Ream. Could it be that he, & now apparently McKenzie, run Beer?halter's "build from the back","the more possession we have, the fewer chances..........blah,blah,blah" so well? Which, of course, require center backs that can pass it.

It just seems such a waste with the speed & skill of our Euro contingent as 1st teamers (and many back-ups as well). Maybe Beer?halter has already changed his system for the Mexican match for the 1st teamers. One can only hope he does but not by the looks of the Costa Rica match.

If it's "different strokes for different folks", I guess I give it up to Beer?halter. I can't argue with recent results.

No less than Brad Freidel on CP "........in(the USMNT) on ability alone.......arguably our best player......an outstanding player". Freidel won top goalie in the Prem at least once with Tottenham.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
I'm not a fan of Ream either, but we've had worse in back. Mike Burns and Jeff Agoos were cuss words in their day.

Beer?halter is at it again. In the prelim call-up for the Gold Cup, we find Brad Guzan, Jozy Altidore, G. Zardes & Acosta. Shockingly, neither McKenzie or Ream are in it-but will likely show up for the WC qualifying 23. Who wants to bet that Altidore, Guzan, Zardes & Acosta will not be in the final 23 for WC quals & finals? Not me, recalling Beer?halter's previous comments.

He will screw our qualifying & success in the finals by his ridiculous personnel decisions.

Beer?halter is at it again. In the prelim call-up for the Gold Cup, we find Brad Guzan, Jozy Altidore, G. Zardes & Acosta. Shockingly, neither McKenzie or Ream are in it-but will likely show up for the WC qualifying 23. Who wants to bet that Altidore, Guzan, Zardes & Acosta will not be in the final 23 for WC quals & finals? Not me, recalling Beer?halter's previous comments.

He will screw our qualifying & success in the finals by his ridiculous personnel decisions.
He’s resting his starters for WC qualifying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT