ADVERTISEMENT

Hope?

But why won't Tommie Tuchel start him?? CP starting the 2nd half is kind of strange. The assist is his first point in over a couple months. Maybe it'll get him off the schneid.
New sheriff needs to show the young gun who is the real shooter.

Reactions: quincy101
Chelsea as a whole has been playing terrible. They played a bottom of the table team today and finally looked like a squad that just has more good players than Burnley has. That said, Chelsea looked pretty bad in the 1st half as Abraham did nothing. Once CP came in, Chelsea really dominated the game, lots of control, lots of chances. Even w/o the ball, CP is making runs that draw the backs’ attention. It’s remarkable how much he impacts a game without touching the ball.

USMNT playing T&T right now. It’s the US based crew. Not sure Matt Turner has even been seen on the screen yet. Interestingly enough the US has scored 3 goals in 20 minutes. Jesus Ferreira, formerly of the Tulsa Roughnecks, has been involved in all 3 with 2 assists and a goal. He probably could have had a 2nd goal. Arriola is showing he is head and shoulders better than every player on the pitch. Lletget has looked good so far. Jonathan Lewis had the opener off a feed from Ferreira less than 2 minutes in. Hard to tell what the backs are doing since they haven’t been called on to do anything except to hold the ball in possession to reset and find a point of attack.

I'm trying to get excited about the US-based contingent just rolling over opponents in recent friendlies. On the other hand, does anyone actually think that this bunch is going to blitz the likes of Mex or Costa Rica in Concacaf or anybody else on the planet that makes the finals of a WC or Olympics? Panama, El Salvador & TnT hardly prepares us for the real world.

I do really like the energy & skill of some of these 1st cap guys but the 1st team seniors must be our Euro contingent to have any chance vs the world, plus a few of the MLS guys who are now showing up. There's just not enough slots on a WC squad for most of these new guys.

I'm trying to get excited about the US-based contingent just rolling over opponents in recent friendlies. On the other hand, does anyone actually think that this bunch is going to blitz the likes of Mex or Costa Rica in Concacaf or anybody else on the planet that makes the finals of a WC or Olympics? Panama, El Salvador & TnT hardly prepares us for the real world.

I do really like the energy & skill of some of these 1st cap guys but the 1st team seniors must be our Euro contingent to have any chance vs the world, plus a few of the MLS guys who are now showing up. There's just not enough slots on a WC squad for most of these new guys.
But we don't have to roll over Mexico or Costa Rica to qualify for the WC. We need to beat the other teams that make it to that round. the US needs to finish 3rd in the group to qualify. And Panama and T&T are teams that have been part of the final qualifying group in the past. And I can't imagine T&T or Panama have a bunch of national team level players to be able to play a group of backups in friendlies like this. We're trouncing them with what amounts to be the 2nd team guys. The only players from last night's squad that will be in the mix to start or even be a sub for the primary group are Arriola and Matt Turner (I prefer Matt Turner in goal over Steffen). What last night showed is the US finally has some depth if one of the front line guys gets injured. And last night's group is probably going to heavily feature in the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying. I do like this group to trounce Costa Rica's U23s and be competitive with Mexico's U23s. And just think, the US could still call in Pulisic and Sargent for the U23s if they wanted to (they won't bring them in because I doubt that either their clubs allows them to leave at that point in the season).

Another US player just got moved to Roma for an $8.5M transfer fee from FC Dallas (Bryan Reynolds). US players are starting to get more notice. Question: Are MLS teams willing to sell all their good players for MLS record transfer fees and not reinvest those fees in players? Seems like a crappy model. At least when Dortmund sells their players for millions, they generally try to use some of that money to build back to keep competitive enough to earn UCL.

I'm not talking about qualifying out of Concacaf. I'm talking about the finals when the real games begin. We might do well in the Olympics with these new guys...who knows? But when the finals of the WC begins....none of these one cappers have ever come up against anything like they would see from any ntl. team from Europe or So. America.

I'm not talking about qualifying out of Concacaf. I'm talking about the finals when the real games begin. We might do well in the Olympics with these new guys...who knows? But when the finals of the WC begins....none of these one cappers have ever come up against anything like they would see from any ntl. team from Europe or So. America.
And like I said, only 2-3 of them will find themselves in the 23 for the WC. Lewis is an outside shot. Arriola will undoubtedly be part of the main qualifying group, and Turner, IMO, is prime time ready. Others need some more seasoning but there are a few that may be ready by the next cycle (Perea, Ferreira, Dike).

I keep forgetting about Long. He will no doubt be in the mix but I don't think he'll start if all of Berhalter's options in the back are healthy. Long is getting a lot of love from English sides right now. It will only make him a better player and make the US stronger in the back.

That TNT game means nothing. It was put together at the last minute because Serbia couldn’t travel. Most of the players play domestically on TNT and there were a couple of semi-pros out there. One of the starters had not competed in more than a year and had not practiced in months. He came on 48 hours notice.

It was a vehicle for TNT to try to get a game to showcase and unload their players since their upcoming season has been cancelled.

MLS is clearly in a $1 billion debt death spiral abad could be in danger of folding. The league, with the exception of two teams, is built on a business model of ticket sales as the net profits of the club. They are looking at a delayed start to the season supposedly due to CoVid but it’s really over labor disputes. Anything that brings in cash will be welcome and a fee for loans of their best players makes perfect sense because they may not play anyway and need to get match fit shortly if they do. I’m surprised MLS didn’t fire sale more to Holland and Germany 2.

Dike, the OKC kid came on around the 70th and is clearly the best pure physical specimen we’ve had on the team since Gooch or maybe Jones in his prime. Just a physically imposing young player. Some of the opposing players looked like children next to him. He didn’t get many touches, but we are wide open at striker so there will be more games for him. I want to see more of him with back to goal.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Covid hurt a lot of soccer teams. Reno’s USL team folded because they just couldn’t make a go of it without fans in the stands. They retained the franchise option and said they could reform when things get better but I don’t think they will despite on-field success.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Covid hurt a lot of soccer teams. Reno’s USL team folded because they just couldn’t make a go of it without fans in the stands. They retained the franchise option and said they could reform when things get better but I don’t think they will despite on-field success.
USL will be a mixed bag. Clubs without infrastructure debt and even small local TV contracts will be back. Those who are leveraged and depend solely on the gate will not be able to climbed out of the hole.

So Arriola on loan to Swansea and Dike moved to an English championship club yesterday. And Huffy, you’re right on Dike. He is simply massive in the middle of the front line. Here’s hoping he can develop a little better touch and hold the ball up at the top of the box to develop chances. I thought he was a little slow on his decision making the other night or he could have at least taken a shot from a nice ball in to him in the 6.

So Arriola on loan to Swansea and Dike moved to an English championship club yesterday. And Huffy, you’re right on Dike. He is simply massive in the middle of the front line. Here’s hoping he can develop a little better touch and hold the ball up at the top of the box to develop chances. I thought he was a little slow on his decision making the other night or he could have at least taken a shot from a nice ball in to him in the 6.
Exactly. We will find out quick if he can develop a back to goal game at a high level in England real quick. He was clearing out the middle rather than sitting and taking the ball and two men, I assume because of the quality of the defense was giving the runners a shooters choice. He will need to do that over there every day or will be back in Orlando soon. It’s why Jozy was sent home and he took the Toronto gig. To build his back game for the WC. Then he kept getting hurt. Jozy became serviceable as a 9, but he hates the role. He would lose 25 lbs and 2 inches and play the wing if he could, I guarantee you.

He signed with Barnsley. That’s mildly interesting because of the American billionaire that has the largest interest in the club. He’s a Chinese immigrant who made his fortune there. He’s a big believer in Billy Beane of Moneyball fame, gave him a minority share, and told him they will do the same at Barnsley, but this time with Chinese and Indian money. It will be interesting. Half the town of Barnsley is the stadium and training ground. It’s a tiny place compared to other club locations. Telling that town the identity of the club will be built on foreign investment and sponsorship is one thing. Publicly saying you want kids who are Chinese and Indian to instantly identify with the club and be “their club” and market to those communities across England may not be met with enthusiasm in South Yorkshire.

We need to cap him the first qualifier. Nigeria is a Commonwealth country. The social pressure to play with them may grow if he stays in the UK. They say in Orlando it’s comical how Okie the kid is, wanting to hunt and fish and eat BBQ, etc all the time. But unless we call, someone else might.

Last edited:
Exactly. We will find out quick if he can develop a back to goal game at a high level in England real quick. He was clearing out the middle rather than sitting and taking the ball and two men, I assume because of the quality of the defense was giving the runners a shooters choice. He will need to do that over there every day or will be back in Orlando soon. It’s why Jozy was sent home and he took the Toronto gig. To build his back game for the WC. Then he kept getting hurt. Jozy became serviceable as a 9, but he hates the role. He would lose 25 lbs and 2 inches and play the wing if he could, I guarantee you.

He signed with Barnsley. That’s mildly interesting because of the American billionaire that has the largest interest in the club. He’s a Chinese immigrant who made his fortune there. He’s a big believer in Billy Beane of Moneyball fame, gave him a minority share, and told him they will do the same at Barnsley, but this time with Chinese and Indian money. It will be interesting. Half the town of Barnsley is the stadium and training ground. It’s a tiny place compared to other club locations. Telling that town the identity of the club will be built on foreign investment and sponsorship is one thing. Publicly saying you want kids who are Chinese and Indian to instantly identify with the club and be “their club” and market to those communities across England may not be met with enthusiasm in South Yorkshire.

We need to cap him the first qualifier. Nigeria is a Commonwealth country. The social pressure to play with them may grow if he stays in the UK. They say in Orlando it’s comical how Okie the kid is, wanting to hunt and fish and eat BBQ, etc all the time. But unless we call, someone else might.
It sounds like they might cap him for the U23 Olympic qualifying. That would tie him to the US. He could still opt later to do the one time transfer (sort of like Perea did...but that would forever tie him to Nigeria whether he ever played an int'l game with them or not. My guess is if Daryl gets called by the US to play, he'll play with the US. His sisters prob opted for Nigeria because of the incredible difficulty of breaking into the USWNT rotation. Daryl really hit the USMNT scene at a perfect time to break in and get a chance. The aging stars are moving on and the failure to qualify 2 years ago has really opened up the competition. That opportunity just doesn't seem to exist on the women's side. The 23 for any int'l comp for women usually comes from a pool of about 30. As stars like Rapinoe and Lloyd move on, the staff will identify 3-4 players to replace them specifically.

Good grief!! Tommy Tuchel must have a thing for Pulisic. He hasn't started for any of Tuchel's 1st 4 matches. Always off the bench except today when he didn't even make the squad ( along with Kai Havertz). CP is fit & ready but damn, you can't even make the bench as one of Chelsea's best players??

Good grief!! Tommy Tuchel must have a thing for Pulisic. He hasn't started for any of Tuchel's 1st 4 matches. Always off the bench except today when he didn't even make the squad ( along with Kai Havertz). CP is fit & ready but damn, you can't even make the bench as one of Chelsea's best players??
Isn’t he hurt?

OK, CP is not hurt. Apparently had some personal issue back home & Tuchel excused him to deal with it. Still don't know why Havertz wasn't with the squad. From all accounts, CP & Tuchel have a very good relationship from their days together at Dortmund but he didn't get very many starts there, either. I'm hopeful that CP will soon get the full 90 & Tuchel will be forced to start him just as Lampard did.

What little I’ve heard/read is that the relationship is just fine and they plan to move him into the middle to play a false nine but he’s still a little limping on the hamstring.

Last edited:
Havertz has been horrible this season so you can understand him not making the side. Pulisic needs to dem
OK, CP is not hurt. Apparently had some personal issue back home & Tuchel excused him to deal with it. Still don't know why Havertz wasn't with the squad. From all accounts, CP & Tuchel have a very good relationship from their days together at Dortmund but he didn't get very many starts there, either. I'm hopeful that CP will soon get the full 90 & Tuchel will be forced to start him just as Lampard did.
The situation at DOrtmund was stupid. The chemistry that CP and Aubameyang had built together made them one of the most feared combos in Bundesliga. It was ridiculous how good they were.

Giroud recently blasted Lampard for not playing him and CP together more at Chelsea. I agree. They created a lot of chances together. Giroud is a lazy defender though and it may have impacted his playing time.

Morris started for Swansea vs Man City today in FA Cup action. Arriola subbed on in the 2nd half. Swansea lost 3-1 as one might expect but Swansea was dangerous at times, more than you might expect against Man City. I believe Steffen was in goal for Man City. The goal allowed, was a good goal but I thought perhaps Steffen should have gotten to it.

Chelsea looks horrible against Barnsley today. Pulisic gets the start and is paired with Chelsea's dogs up front. Maybe about 1/2 their normal starting lineup in (no Mount, no Werner). Dike has yet to make an appearance for Barnsley but he is named to the side. ESPN+ guys just mentioned him hoping he could get some time as a sub. Thinking he could absolutely man handle the defenders Chelsea ran out there.

Tommy Tuchel better figure out his starting 10 (+Mendy) & stick with them before the losses start to pile up. His starting line-ups are all over the map and he, and Chelsea, have been lucky so far.

Barnsley is 13th in the English Championship with no chance of promotion to the Prem (& no worry about relegation, either). Sebastian Soto got his work permit with Norwich City. They are pretty much a lock for promotion to the EPL and Swansea too which is great news for Jordon Morris. Soto is in training w/ the Canaries & I'll report on any PT he gets

Barnsley is 13th in the English Championship with no chance of promotion to the Prem (& no worry about relegation, either). Sebastian Soto got his work permit with Norwich City. They are pretty much a lock for promotion to the EPL and Swansea too which is great news for Jordon Morris. Soto is in training w/ the Canaries & I'll report on any PT he gets
Arriola is with Swansea City now too. Swansea is sitting in 3rd in the Championship but they have a game in hand AND they are closer to #1 in the table than they are to #4.

Nice. Brentford I believe was in the 2nd auto promotion spot in the Championship, so this is a really good result for Barnsley. They also played a really strong match against Chelsea in the FA Cup last week. Chelsea's goal in that one was what one would call against the run of play. Barnsley was really aggressive with their press and created a good number of chances. Chelsea looked really bad for the better part of the game.

Really good to see Wolfsburg and 6 straight clean sheets anchored by a USMNT center back. We need Brooks to be healthy and ready to be the leader of this group.

The futbol press is beginning to notice CP's lack of PT. Wasn't even subbed in an EPL match yesterday. He should be playing forward on the left side or at least on the right. Last time he played, it was in the middle as kind of a false nine. I just don't get it. Is CP doggin it in practice? I doubt it. When Tuchel loses a couple, we'll see if CP emerges. If Chelsea keeps winning, CP's future there might be short. What a shame.

The futbol press is beginning to notice CP's lack of PT. Wasn't even subbed in an EPL match yesterday. He should be playing forward on the left side or at least on the right. Last time he played, it was in the middle as kind of a false nine. I just don't get it. Is CP doggin it in practice? I doubt it. When Tuchel loses a couple, we'll see if CP emerges. If Chelsea keeps winning, CP's future there might be short. What a shame.
Giroud has already said Chelsea best 11 includes both him and CP. I agree CP needs a dominant 9 to be most effective...he and Giroud have a nice chemistry together. CP had a great chemistry with Aubameyang at Dortmund. I'm not sure what Tuchel wants out of him.

Too true. And CP was very successful with Tammy Abraham up top as well. Now, he can't get any minutes.
True. The group of Abraham, CP and Mount really put a lot of pressure on teams. And no one really thinks about the way teams game plan defense against CP. It's the same way teams plan against Ronaldo and Messi. Make someone else beat you. Chelsea doesn't have the same level of talent surrounding CP as Ronaldo had at Real or even at Juve, or what Messi enjoys at Barca. Even to some extent, you look at Liverpool and if you pick to shut down Mo Salah, then you've got to contend with Firmino and Mane (or Jiota when he is healthy).

Pulisic with a 2nd straight DNP today vs Southampton. Tuchel should be fired for gross incompetence. Werner out there against a Southampton back 3 lacking the pace or individual technical skill to exploit the large spaces.
Dike will get the start for Barnsley today. 9:00am ESPN+

Swansea City will have a chance to move into 2nd and the auto promotion spot as Brentford is currently losing to 20th position Coventry. This would be Brentford’s 3rd straight loss in the Championship.
Schalke 04 takes on Dortmund at 11:30am on ESPN+ if you want to see Hoppe and what he’s all about.

Add: Pulisic wasn’t even a part of Chelsea’s side today.

Pulisic with a 2nd straight DNP today vs Southampton. Tuchel should be fired for gross incompetence. Werner out there against a Southampton back 3 lacking the pace or individual technical skill to exploit the large spaces.
Dike will get the start for Barnsley today. 9:00am ESPN+

Swansea City will have a chance to move into 2nd and the auto promotion spot as Brentford is currently losing to 20th position Coventry. This would be Brentford’s 3rd straight loss in the Championship.
Schalke 04 takes on Dortmund at 11:30am on ESPN+ if you want to see Hoppe and what he’s all about.

Add: Pulisic wasn’t even a part of Chelsea’s side today.
Must mean he’s being dealt.

CP had another "sensation" in a calf muscle in practice recently & Tommy T. ruled him out. Huffy may be right since, when asked directly about CP's future, T.T. praised him-the usual boilerplate-but was non-committal about his future with Chelsea. And we know how quick comrade Abramovich is to pull the trigger on coaches or players not producing. What's worrisome is....who would want Pulisic when he is available for games about 1/3 of the time.

CP had another "sensation" in a calf muscle in practice recently & Tommy T. ruled him out. Huffy may be right since, when asked directly about CP's future, T.T. praised him-the usual boilerplate-but was non-committal about his future with Chelsea. And we know how quick comrade Abramovich is to pull the trigger on coaches or players not producing. What's worrisome is....who would want Pulisic when he is available for games about 1/3 of the time.

I read a number of articles that read they were assessing him for the summer. They paid a bunch of money for him. Maybe, he can wind up at Juve with Weston.

Bad news for Jordan Morris @ Swansea: a severe ACL injury will finish his season there & for theMNT. Just sucks. Also, CP is with the Chelsea squad for a round of 16 game vs Atletico Madrid today. How unlucky can you get: Chelsea win their group in the ChLg & draw Atl Madrid who came in 2nd in theirs....but now are top of table in LaLiga, ahead of Barca & Real. Ouch!

The real news, however, is that CP is being strongly linked to a move to the top team in Europe...Bayern Munich. If this happens...wow! He would go back to Germany where he's certainly comfy & get to play way more than lately under Tuchel. Wouldn't bother me.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Bad news for Jordan Morris @ Swansea: a severe ACL injury will finish his season there & for theMNT. Just sucks. Also, CP is with the Chelsea squad for a round of 16 game vs Atletico Madrid today. How unlucky can you get: Chelsea win their group in the ChLg & draw Atl Madrid who came in 2nd in theirs....but now are top of table in LaLiga, ahead of Barca & Real. Ouch!

The real news, however, is that CP is being strongly linked to a move to the top team in Europe...Bayern Munich. If this happens...wow! He would go back to Germany where he's certainly comfy & get to play way more than lately under Tuchel. Wouldn't bother me.
Bayern is a good fit for him. Having a goal scorer like Lewandowksi to take some of the heat off of CP would allow CP some space to create. I think Liverpool would also be a good fit for CP if Salah decides to move on (Salah has been linked to Real in recent transfer rumors). Playing with any combo of Mane/Firmino/Jiota would also free CP up to create.

Sad thing is, Chelsea has played pretty well under Tuchel but I think that's a combo of playing some weaker sides. Not sure what Lampard wasn't doing but the amount of talent Chelsea has, they were underperforming for sure.

CP gets about 11 minutes at the end of the game today subbing on for Werner with Chelsea nursing a 1-0 lead vs Atletico. I thought CP played well. He holds the ball up just about as well as anyone. He flashed his pace nearly getting onto a cross in the 89' that Oblak was really aggressive coming off his line to snare. He then tracked back 80 yards and won a ball at the top of his own area, took a couple dribbles and passed out of trouble before getting absolutely cracked by Lemar. I thought it was a red but only yellow was shown (it was both late, hard, and high and clearly a foul out of frustration). Chelsea wins 1-0.

Bonus: Go look up the goal by Giroud. It was Sportscenter Play of the Year quality.

HOT UCL TAKE: So all the European countries who are trying to get a grip on COVID and get out in front have essentially banned all flights and people coming in from the UK because the UK is one of the world's hotspots right now. So the teams from responsible countries having to play EPL teams are basically getting screwed because UEFA is forcing them to find a venue where the EPL teams are allowed to play. RB Leipzig had to host a game vs Liverpool in Hungary, essentially losing their home field advantage. Atletico had to host Chelsea in Bucharest, Romania today, losing out on their home game...but now those teams will have to travel to Anfield and Stamford Bridge and play true road matches on the return legs. Seems to be a ****ED up situation. If I'm UEFA, I'm forcing the UK teams to play a 2nd neutral site game for the return legs to make it fair. It will happen again for the Man City fixtures as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT