ADVERTISEMENT

Hope?

How appropriate that they wore those jerseys. A great victory for USA hockey.
The level of smack talk Canadian fans were doing before this game was pretty epic. I followed one Twitter thread and read all through the comments and the level of :) ---> :( that went on was hilarious.

Reactions: quincy101
USMNT Euro-stud update: Wes McKinnie comes off the bench in the 64th & scores Juve's 3rd to ice a desparately needed win over the Serie A leader AC Milan (although without Z. Ibrahimovich). AC Milan was undefeated until today. It was a Manchester derby in England's Carabao Cup tourney. Zach Steffen gets his 2nd start in a row & 2nd shutout in a row as City beats Utd 2-1. And the beat goes on for the Yanks in Europe.

USMNT Euro-stud update: Wes McKinnie comes off the bench in the 64th & scores Juve's 3rd to ice a desparately needed win over the Serie A leader AC Milan (although without Z. Ibrahimovich). AC Milan was undefeated until today. It was a Manchester derby in England's Carabao Cup tourney. Zach Steffen gets his 2nd start in a row & 2nd shutout in a row as City beats Utd 2-1. And the beat goes on for the Yanks in Europe.
And Aaronson joined RB Salzburg this week and started training.

19 year old Orange County kid scores hat trick for Schalke.

Let our cup runneth over, let the snobby Europeans and arrogant South Americans pride taste like ashes in their mouth. Verily I say though most of all let there be a wailing, screeching sound come forth from those south of us, a gnashing of teeth, a tearing of clothes, let them weep in the streets so we may bath our children in the sweet sorrow of the Mexican fans.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I liketh what you sayeth, although we haven't done squat yet....but, yea verily, we will .... sooner rather than later.

Reactions: HuffyCane
The defense is atrocious. If Schalke lost it would have been a league record consecutive loss. Could be some cooking going on there. The kid played like 15 reserve games and scored one poach. But the runs are textbook perfect. Speaks well of the Barcelona academy in Los Angeles.

I'm not trying to anoint any one our savior although if CP continues to develop all bets are off.

It's just nice to see the depth of the talent that the US has begun to produce. Its impressive that an "unknown" kid can perform at such a high level even for one game. I noticed our younger teams have been pretty solid for a while on the national level. We see some slightly older talent that has matured and plays in Europe as well as some younger ones who are making the move and showing promise early at their clubs. Our older players are solid but I don't remember a time when we had so man players in their mid twenties or youngsters producing in Europe never mind the middle level US talent that is a base of the MLS, who imo continues to maintain a decent level of play despite a pretty aggressive expansion. At some point we will hit that critical mass and be the sort of soccer power people talk about our potential to be.

With such a large population base even some of the restrictive structured issues we talk about limiting the US (pay for play, other pro options, quality youth development, etc) will be overwhelmed.

FIFA has approved the 1 time transfer of Andres Perea from Colombia to the US. This kid's a player when he's healthy and really created havoc in Orlando City's midfield this season. He's only 20 so adding a good solid future USMNT to the mix.

Former USMNT player Jerome Kiesewetter has signed a multi-year deal with FC Tulsa. He's also played in Bundesliga with Stuttgart and Fortuna Dusseldorf and last season played in MLS with Inter Miami.

FC Tulsa is going to be a handful to deal with next season. Really really talented players they've brought in and they're bringing back a lot of key players from last season. There should be some nice fan continuity and familiarity which we've not enjoyed here. My understanding is they've already sold close to 5k season tickets for the upcoming season which is a decent number.

Huffy's guy young Musah is only one among an embarrassment of riches we have playing in Europe. I still worry that Beer?halter will screw up the works by overloading our WC quals squad with MLS guys, particularly those who failed so miserably a couple years ago. Not necessarily saying that there isn't some quality in MLS, but to eliminate certain Euro guys with invaluable experience in top 5 leagues in favor of MLS guys without it is just stupidity. For example, the current (abbreviated) call up includes Acosta, Altidore, A. Long & Lletget. Why? (although the reason is prolly that the Euro clubs are in the middle of their seasons & Beer?halter has to look busy.)

Huffy's guy young Musah is only one among an embarrassment of riches we have playing in Europe. I still worry that Beer?halter will screw up the works by overloading our WC quals squad with MLS guys, particularly those who failed so miserably a couple years ago. Not necessarily saying that there isn't some quality in MLS, but to eliminate certain Euro guys with invaluable experience in top 5 leagues in favor of MLS guys without it is just stupidity. For example, the current (abbreviated) call up includes Acosta, Altidore, A. Long & Lletget. Why? (although the reason is prolly that the Euro clubs are in the middle of their seasons & Beer?halter has to look busy.)
Is Musah definitely going with US or is he the guy that has 3 options: US, England, and one other nation, to decide who he competes for? The US definitely needs to get him as his pace is absolutely ridonkulous.

There is a Twitter handle Scuffed Soccer who laid out a weekend calendar of US players playing in Europe this weekend. 33. Of course guys like Ream and Yedlin are on the list as is Julian Green. Ream and Yedlin are both EPL but probably at the tail end of the depth chart for the USMNT in the back. Yedlin could of course be used as an outside MF if need be (Ream realistically could not). Green is probably not in the USMNT any longer and is in Bundesliga 2 currently. I hate that JK bumped Donovan off the team 8 years ago to give Green a shot to sit the bench just to get him in the USMNT fold. Terrible decision really.

But there are 33 players in Europe. Add the MLS players who deserve looks like Morris, Arriola, Yuiell and a couple of the GKs and the US has some serious depth (as it should be when you consider there are 350M people in the US, you'd think we could find 30 players with enough ability and talent to challenge in the WC).

Reactions: TU4ever2
I’ll go to my grave believing without any proof two things: one, Landon probably wouldn’t have helped as much as we thought he would at the time. Two, JK had an under the table sale on clause where he got a piece of what ever Green made for the rest of his career in exchange for putting him on the club.

Musah could be world class legit. But he may also have Freddie Adu disease. Two symptoms: 1) a natural right winger who unreasonably thinks he could play a central 10 because of massive ego, 2) tasted the nightlife early in his career.

He joined England as a youth, but he likes to party with the other young USMNT players in Europe. He could also play for Italy or, like Freddie, join Ghana.

There’s easily more than 200 USA eligible players in the various leagues of Europe. Probably half of them dual nationals and most of those under 22.

But roughly 25 of them total merit serious hard looks as top players at top clubs. Still that 23 more than 3 years ago. A few are just hype right now, but still on that list. Like Tim Weah, who could be very very special if he decides to work for it and get out of France.

We should really try to focus on getting Folarin Balogun who plays for Arsenal and is mulling as many as many offers from other clubs. He can play for us, the Brits or Nigeria. Born here to Nigerian parents, he left for the UK at age 2. His played at the youth level for both the USA and the UK.

Sadly, Altidore and Zardes are still are two best strikers no matter what anyone says about Sargent or Soto. Balogun may just have the type of raw talent Altidore had at that age to start tomorrow and be solid for 8 years.

Indiana Vassilev made his debut for Villa in a league tie over the weekend playing about 30 minutes and holding his own.

And Claudio’s son Gio Reyna may be the next big thing at Dortmund if Sancho is sold. He’s only 17 and made his Bundesliga debut as well on the weekend. M

Vassilev has a bit of a better pedigree than Sargent but I’m not sold on either. Both need significant maturity.

Gio is a little more intriguing. He’s a playmaker who likes to track back and defend with punishment. In other words, a dose of what American needs. Whether he is ready to do it against grown men in Azteca next year is a different story. But we may have an extra place for the USMNT offense to pivot on the pitch besides Pulisic very shortly. Which opens up some tantalizing possibilities just like when we had his old man and John O’Brien.

I try really hard not to get my hopes up with young USA players abroad, but these two could be special and end our bunker shape and incompetent out of the back attempts. We might really be able to stretch the field to the chalk like what Berhalter likes to talk about doing but can’t seem to make it work.
One year later from this post and Gio is a star in the making. Indiana is on loan to League One where he has 12 appearances and no goal and has been left off our U23 roster. As noted then, never get too excited about USA strikers in Europe.

Fun fact: Mix Diskerud is still playing and technically on loan from Manchester City.

Now hearing that Jordan Morris is likely headed to England (Swansea City) on a 6-month loan which could then end up a full time transfer. Swansea currently sits in 2nd in the Championship which would promote them to the EPL if they could hold on. This could be huge for Morris and the US

Sadly, Altidore and Zardes are still are two best strikers
It's beyond sad. These two haven't scored a meaningful goal for the US in about 3 years. And yet, Beer?halter is still in love with both of them......Zardes because he coached him at Columbus & Altidore, who will be 33 or 34 @ WC time, because of some past glory.

Why not Weah, Wood, Morris, de la Fuente, Johannson, or some kid who comes out of the Olympics on fire such as Jonathan Lewis or Saucedo. My point is.....no one could do worse than these two as strikers.

Altidore doesn’t score but when healthy is still our best nine. I’m against Altidore due to unreliability due to injury and his association with the obvious dysfunction of the last 3 years, rather age or talent issues. Zardes does everything you need a forward to do except first touch and finish (lol) which never developed after age 20. A tale one should heed for other youngsters coming up, including some you mention.

You list a lot of guys that can flash forward facing skills or better suited on the wing. You still need a work horse to handle back to goal. We don’t have it, except maybe Dike and he’s late to the party.

Well, if Beer?halter insists on playing either of these up top, we'll need a goal scoring winger at the 8 to clean up after them, & we've got plenty of those. BTW, it was Pulisic vs Antonee Robinson yesterday in the EPL. Robinson, playing as well as ever until he screwed the pooch with a horrible tackle that earned a straight red just before halftime. If Fulham had a goal scorer, they would be moving up the table. As it was, Chelsea still struggles to score but managed a goal by Mount & won it. CP did so well during the EPL re-start last season on the left side. Frankie has started him on the right the last 4 or 5 matches and it's got him discombobulated. He needs to bench Timo Werner, whose confidence is shot to hell, & get CP back to his natural position.

Well, if Beer?halter insists on playing either of these up top, we'll need a goal scoring winger at the 8 to clean up after them, & we've got plenty of those. BTW, it was Pulisic vs Antonee Robinson yesterday in the EPL. Robinson, playing as well as ever until he screwed the pooch with a horrible tackle that earned a straight red just before halftime. If Fulham had a goal scorer, they would be moving up the table. As it was, Chelsea still struggles to score but managed a goal by Mount & won it. CP did so well during the EPL re-start last season on the left side. Frankie has started him on the right the last 4 or 5 matches and it's got him discombobulated. He needs to bench Timo Werner, whose confidence is shot to hell, & get CP back to his natural position.
The pressure these EPL managers have to plate the high priced transfers they acquire is sad really. Last season Pulisic was on fire when paired with Mount and Abraham or Giroud. This year with Werner and Havertz (when he actually makes the field) there is no chemistry and Werner absolutely will not make a return pass to Pulisic or Mount, 2 guys who can absolutely bury the ball in the back of the net.

Watching Chelsea vs Leicester City. Chelsea looks dreadful through the 1st 30 and finally starts to work possession. Pulisic is on with Abraham and Mount, along with Havertz. Pulisic's pace with the ball at his feet is really something else. You cuold almost see a sense of urgency with the LC defenders trying to get into position when Pulisic made a dash up the field. Drew 3 defenders and he laid a nice ball off which generated some pressure in the 18. Havertz killed it with a terrible ball in.

Pulisic just got fouled and a PK called. VAR looking at it to make sure Pulisic was in the area. Ruling: 6 inches outside the box. Without the foul Pulisic is into the area alone with a 1v1 on goal. Really bad place for a free kick though. Too close to shoot...but Mount tries anyway and skies it over goal. What a wasted chance.

Pulisic looks good though. Moving well, touch is spot on, picks out the right passes.

CHE is losing 2-0 BTW because their D is a trainwreck.

Uh oh!! Chelsea's Russian oligarch owner is not a happy man. Comrade Abramovich has a history of dumping managers & Frankie's job may be on the line(even as I write this) after a 2-0 thumping by Leicester City who go top of table with the win. Much speculation in the Brit press. Meanwhile, CP starts on the left for a change but doesn't even get a shot on goal.

The two very expensive Germans(Werner & Havertz) who were easily top 10 players in the Bundesliga last year, are average at best in the EPL. It is, for me, just more evidence after 19 games that the Prem is the best league in Europe.

More MNT news....Jordan Morris is a done deal to Swansea in the English Championship. Also, the Swans are after Paul Arriola & will soon secure his services. They are currently 2nd in the Champ & could very well be promoted to the Prem. How sweet is that? Leading the Championship is Norwich City which is trying every avenue to get Sebastian Soto to join them but a work permit is very difficult to secure for him. The competition in the Championship is very tough & can only help our guys experience for the MNT.

Reactions: TU_BLA and TU4ever2
Wow, just wow!! Less than a week ago, we noted that Comrade Abramovich was not happy. Well, Frankie is out, & Tommie is in. That is Tommie Tuchel, late of Dortmund & PSG, both clubs of which fired his a$$ also. Tuchel had some success at both places but not enough, apparently.

We know that Abramovich has a history of canning coaches. However, to dump a Chelsea & EPL icon after only 18 months as coach, is just shocking. Fans, former players & current & past coaches are not particularly happy about it. Chelsea is 11 points off the top & 7th or 8th in the EPL table & going nowhere fast. I guess I understand Abramovich since he spent over 220 million pounds (about $300 million US) on guys like Werner, Hayech & Havertz who haven't done squat in goals & assists. I never much liked Tuchel at Dortmund when CP was there. And he got PSG to the ChLg final last year but in a loss to Bayern. Still, it's kind of sad for Frank Lampard.

Wow, just wow!! Less than a week ago, we noted that Comrade Abramovich was not happy. Well, Frankie is out, & Tommie is in. That is Tommie Tuchel, late of Dortmund & PSG, both clubs of which fired his a$$ also. Tuchel had some success at both places but not enough, apparently.

We know that Abramovich has a history of canning coaches. However, to dump a Chelsea & EPL icon after only 18 months as coach, is just shocking. Fans, former players & current & past coaches are not particularly happy about it. Chelsea is 11 points off the top & 7th or 8th in the EPL table & going nowhere fast. I guess I understand Abramovich since he spent over 220 million pounds (about $300 million US) on guys like Werner, Hayech & Havertz who haven't done squat in goals & assists. I never much liked Tuchel at Dortmund when CP was there. And he got PSG to the ChLg final last year but in a loss to Bayern. Still, it's kind of sad for Frank Lampard.

Coach at your own risk there. I think it was hasty. He probably got a good payout. I think people should work their way up before jumping into a huge job but I think he did okay but nothing special given the talent. Pirlo seems to be holding his own at Juventus. Obviously, Zidane has been pretty friggin good at Madrid, but every situation is different and he was one of the greatest of all-time. I can't say the same for Lampard.

Tommie Tuchel's debut @ Chelsea was pretty much a dud. Vs Wolverhampton...a 0-0 tie. One reason I didn't like him at Dortmund was that he didn't play CP enough. Although CP had the injury bug there too, he was most often brought in off the bench. Now, the same thing is happening. CP gets subbed in with about 18 minutes to go & didn't have time to do much. Hope he gets some starts soon. My guess is that Tuchel gets a year before getting sacked by Abramovich.

Latest rumor of a USMNT player to Europe is Aaron Long. Most strongly tied to Reading in the Championship right now but there is supposedly another team in the championship pursuing him as well. I’ve also heard that Liverpool may be involved for his services on a short term loan. LFC has been hit hard with injuries at center back this season. Right now they are without Van Dijk, Gomez, Fabinho, Matip, and a couple of others so a short term loan would make sense. Would Long fit back there at that level?

Pulisic subbed on at half today of Chelsea’s game vs Burnley. CHE was instantly dangerous and Pulisic created chances about 2 minutes in. He played well and it’s apparent teams always want to keep tabs on him. He got the ball along the left and BUR brought 3 defenders to deal with him. He ended with 3 shots and about 6 chances created and an assist on a cheeky little flip pass to Marco Alonso’s chest that Alonso brought to his knee and promptly side volleyed a rocket to the top of the net.

But why won't Tommie Tuchel start him?? CP starting the 2nd half is kind of strange. The assist is his first point in over a couple months. Maybe it'll get him off the schneid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT