ADVERTISEMENT

H. A. Chapman Stadium

jesterondirt

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Sep 28, 2006
I can't express how badly I hate coming to this forum, but i didnt feel it would go the direction I intended if I posted in any of the other rooms.

Stitt and Pence both said today they are looking at other venues for Saturdays rally. Below is a post from USA today stating that outdoor venues are not out of the question.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...may-move-outdoors-mike-pence-says/3197564001/

What are the chances TU would allow such a rally at 11th and Harvard?

If you thought gameday parking on Saturdays are bad......

0.00%. And that’s rounding up.
InbornWarmheartedCow-size_restricted.gif

I might change my mind and go if it is a Chapman. It's a chance to do something I have never done before. I have never had a heat stroke.
It might also be a chance to witness Trump having a heat stroke. Even odds.

Nixon used Skelly on the campaign trail as both VP and President. Ford signed an agreement to use it then changed his mind.

If Stead was still President and Co-Vid wasn’t a thing, they would take the money.

But they aren’t going to fill the stadium when they are talking about restricting faculty access to campus for essential functions only.

I can't express how badly I hate coming to this forum, but i didnt feel it would go the direction I intended if I posted in any of the other rooms.

Stitt and Pence both said today they are looking at other venues for Saturdays rally. Below is a post from USA today stating that outdoor venues are not out of the question.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...may-move-outdoors-mike-pence-says/3197564001/

What are the chances TU would allow such a rally at 11th and Harvard?

If you thought gameday parking on Saturdays are bad......
I'll only comment on the legality. If TU allowed Trump in, they would also have to allow Biden the opportunity to do as well. ORU would have had to allow HRC to hold a campaign stop at the Mabee Center if they wanted to. Because the schools receive federal funding through work study programs and other financial aid programs, they cannot make any endorsement of any candidate and they have to allow equal access to both parties. Or they can deny both parties, as long as it treats both sides the same.

It was interesting at ORU because you knew Wilson wanted to, in the worst way, publicly endorse DJT, but because he was the president of the university, such an endorsement would violate the law and threaten any federal funds they received.

why not use the fair grounds with its limited access for security. Hold the main rally in expo building and overflow in other buildings for social distancing..

why not use the fair grounds with its limited access for security. Hold the main rally in expo building and overflow in other buildings for social distancing..
Fairgrounds is booked for the Home and Garden COVID Show this weekend

I'll only comment on the legality. If TU allowed Trump in, they would also have to allow Biden the opportunity to do as well. ORU would have had to allow HRC to hold a campaign stop at the Mabee Center if they wanted to. Because the schools receive federal funding through work study programs and other financial aid programs, they cannot make any endorsement of any candidate and they have to allow equal access to both parties. Or they can deny both parties, as long as it treats both sides the same.

It was interesting at ORU because you knew Wilson wanted to, in the worst way, publicly endorse DJT, but because he was the president of the university, such an endorsement would violate the law and threaten any federal funds they received.
Mostly true. He could have endorsed in his personal capacity and disclaimed that ORU was endorsing and complied with both the IRS prohibitions and the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971. The fact they accept federal funding doesn’t really matter. The same prohibitions would apply if they didn’t, but it does certainly complicate things. Falwell endorsed Trump and did so after both the campaign and the university issued press releases stating he was doing it in his own private capacity.

Shoot, just got to Stilly, he can't make the stench there any worse. Have Gundy wear his OAN shirt on the dais and be the host of the event and just confirm what we all know. Let's see if that triggers Chuba anymore

Mostly true. He could have endorsed in his personal capacity and disclaimed that ORU was endorsing and complied with both the IRS prohibitions and the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971. The fact they accept federal funding doesn’t really matter. The same prohibitions would apply if they didn’t, but it does certainly complicate things. Falwell endorsed Trump and did so after both the campaign and the university issued press releases stating he was doing it in his own private capacity.
True. It's a really slippery slope. You never really escape your role, especially if its high profile. Just like every time a person gets arrested who happens to be a football player (or even a former player), the headline always reads "Former OSU Player Arrested for Domestic Abuse" or something of that ilk. And Wilson would not be able to do it while preaching a sermon from the pulpit for ORU Chapel Service.

I do know about the offering the same access to both sides though. When I worked at TU, I oversaw the reservation process of the space in front of the cafeteria for groups and the Fishbowl. I had to meet with the legal team during the 2000 campaign to make sure I understood the rules where if I let the Young Democrats have access during dinner hours, I had to offer the same opportunity to the Young Republicans and not restrict them to 2-4pm when there was little traffic. I was told by TU's attorney at the time it was because TU received federal funds and showing bias to one side or the other could be construed as an endorsement. Additionally, the Director of Housing at the time strongly encouraged me to not allow voting registration drives in the lobby of Twin because they were frequently sponsored by one of the parties but they didn't always advertise who they were working for. When at ORU, the Young Republicans group (or Young Republicans for Life) wanted to reserve a space for a social prior to the 2012 election. The building director asked for guidance and someone told her to allow the young republicans but if the democratic group wanted to do the same, just say the space was booked. Really slippery slope there, but no one is going to allocate the resources to a cause that affects 20-30 students in a state that is a lost cause anyway. (This is why I think electoral votes need to be split up based on % of vote won in a state....force candidates to actually campaign in states they won't win).

Again mostly true. Slightly different facts, but same law. It’s the IRS and FEC regs that prohibit the restrictive fishbowl activity you describe. Violation of those regs could risk losing non-profit status which could threaten some types of federal funding I guess in an extenuated way. But there’s no Ed reg that says “you lose federal funding if you allow the following types of campaign activity.”

I would 100% be ok with with any candidate holding a rally here. It would be great for the local economy. Any venue, public or private should be accepting of all candidates. Cancel culture is ruining true bipartisanship

I would 100% be ok with with any candidate holding a rally here. It would be great for the local economy. Any venue, public or private should be accepting of all candidates. Cancel culture is ruining true bipartisanship
My comment was directed more at the potential backlash TU might get if they did host events for both sides...we know students in general, support more the current Dem platform, while the money donating alum may trend more towards the GOP. Most people don't understand the fed funding part requiring non-endorsement and equal access.

And I'm all for bipartisanship. I also support not having parties listed on ballots (or straight party voting). We need an educated electorate. Right now I think about 50% of the electorate votes on issues and what they identify with and the other half that votes solely based on the letter besides the candidates name. I am also of the opinion that the incumbent should not be identified on the ballot. People need to know who and what they are voting for and there is no shortage of resources available for people to be able to know who/what they are voting for.

Reactions: jesterondirt
Honestly, I wouldn't care if Trump had his rally at Chapman as long as TU and the city got paid up front for the facilities and the security. Trump has a bad habit of welshing on these rally debts.
TU is millions of dollars in debt. They would have to be absolutely crazy to turn down that kind of revenue. Not only that but the community is already starting to apply pressure on the Mayor and the University to make this happen. An event like this would generate more money for the community than 6 sold out TU football home games put together.

TU is millions of dollars in debt. They would have to be absolutely crazy to turn down that kind of revenue. Not only that but the community is already starting to apply pressure on the Mayor and the University to make this happen. An event like this would generate more money for the community than 6 sold out TU football home games put together.
Charge $5 for a bottle of water. Trump wouldn't be caught dead outside in OK at this time of year. His toupee and spray tan would melt.

They would have to provide security in the stadium as well as outside the stadium to get people in. Not to mention all the other related costs like having media hookups available, amenities for his staff etc... It would be fine if they got paid for it. But other places have complained about not getting paid by his campaign.

They would have to provide security in the stadium as well as outside the stadium to get people in. Not to mention all the other related costs like having media hookups available, amenities for his staff etc... It would be fine if they got paid for it. But other places have complained about not getting paid by his campaign.
Secret Service and FBI would be security leads and the TPD and sheriffs office would fall under them and work the event with no cost to the University. The Republican Party would use volunteers to be ushers. The university would have to use their game day staff for food, parking, and media, but that’s about it.

Secret Service and FBI would be security leads and the TPD and sheriffs office would fall under them and work the event with no cost to the University. The Republican Party would use volunteers to be ushers. The university would have to use their game day staff for food, parking, and media, but that’s about it.
I don't think TPD would work for free considering it would be a private campaign event.

Here's the charges that the city of El Paso incurred for his visit. (That doesn't include the costs to the venue)
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6140449-ElPaso-Invoice.html

380K to the police. (The "blue lives matter" president stiffed the police.)
60K to the fire department. 15 to the city metro for the transit accommodations for his visitors. A couple hundred to the health department (would be more in our case) and a couple grand to the aviation authority.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The TPD and Sherrif's dept would never see reeimbursement for the bill. It would all fall on Oklahoma and Tulsa taxpayers. The staff for food and parking get's paid by ticket sales. Tickets are free. There would be a big bill that wouldn't get paid to the city and the University. Oh and you have to clean up the mess afterward, that would be on TU as well. Trump rarely pays his bills fpr this type of stuff.

Right now they are talking a 50% chance of rain on Saturday. Keep BOK/Cox. I don't care but that seems the smarter choice.

Reactions: astonmartin708
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT