ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Manning

TU offered to double his deal and he turned it down. He's not being paid much more than that at Wake. Don't care about him now.

TU offered to double his deal and he turned it down. He's not being paid much more than that at Wake. Don't care about him now.

In hindsight it is an incredible blessing he turned that offer down. We pay Haith less than the offer we gave Manning. And despite us having less $$$ resources than Manning does at Wake, Haith has much better wins (queue Aston to explain to us all how his good wins don’t count).

Why the heck do we care about how Manning is doing anymore. Manning doing poorly doesn’t excuse Haith doing poorly too.

Reactions: TULSARISING
In hindsight it is an incredible blessing he turned that offer down. We pay Haith less than the offer we gave Manning. And despite us having less $$$ resources than Manning does at Wake, Haith has much better wins (queue Aston to explain to us all how his good wins don’t count).
Danny is in the same boat as Steve Robinson, ones who saved us by leaving. Danny would have probably done pretty much the same as Frank has.

Wishes he would have listened to Bill Self and stayed in Tulsa for a while.

My god this is insane. This year is 6 games old. Look at all the random losses happening to teams way worse than who we’ve lost to. We will be fine and can get some big wins coming up.

Reactions: sosodefcane
We’ve had three elite coaches in our history who were hired away. We’ve had a couple of others who were jokers and hired away because they did ok with the players from the elite coaches. Manning is somewhere in between that.

When we fired Wojcik (Skip Prosseer protege), our roster was gutted by transfers and some of the shadiest player handlers you’ve ever seen. (One player ended up with our current coach before the NBA, which is another level of weird.) It was a dumpster fire. Manning went out and found a couple of players late and then did some good things with a couple of signed players no one else really wanted. In some respects he was very lucky (Shaq Harrison and Juice Woodard).

In retrospect, other than his first recruiting class, which was made up of spare parts no one else wanted, he didn’t really do much of anything in recruiting. There was some hype, like a top 100 transfer who signed and then was gone from campus in 72 hours, but it never went anywhere. The biggest recruit he had was Wilbekin and we cut bait on him within hours of Manning leaving.

He can coach defense and was a good enough ambassador of the program. His second year we had a decent enough team in a crap league that was mad we were leaving. We spanked some teams in the conference tournament when we got hot. It was fun.

People were really into the team because it was a bunch of lowly ranked recruits who just played hard and together and because they were tougher than anyone, including the idiots that openly tried to prevent us from winning the conference. Also, at least on here, we got to stick it to the handlers, one of whom ended up with criminal charges. (There was a cinematic quality to the whole thing.)

He made it a little too dramatic when he left. It went on too long. I don’t think he should have left, but I also don’t think he had a game plan to be competitive in the American. I don’t know that coaching everyone to be tougher and meaner would have worked against UCONN and Cinci.

He had some good ideas, but I’m kind of glad he bailed when he did. He might be happier counting his money in retirement and shaking hands at KU.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
He wasn’t going to be the answer.

This team hasn’t a bunch of role players. Some are above average role players but it’s hard to do much with nothing but a supporting cast. Need to get someone to step up or turn into a well oiled machine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT