ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

Seems like a nice player to have at the 4. It sounds like FDU played him at the 5. I can’t see that being possible in the American.
We have players much more suited to the 5. He'd play at the 3 or 4 spot here. Likely the 4 spot if he is far & away the best 4. But he would have competition at the 4 spot.

Both Fairleigh Dickenson and Tulsa had Dr. Robert Donaldson as their university president. We hired Donaldson away from FDU. What on earth were we thinking?

Reactions: I.I.
Carlous Williams replacement.( upgrade).
I reworded that sentence and forgot to change the first word, which was intrinsic to the meaning.

We have players much more suited to the 5. He'd play at the 3 or 4 spot here. Likely Only the 4 spot if he is far & away the best 4. But he would have competition at the 4 spot.

We have had a 6'7" guy playing the five at times recently. Sadly as recently as 2021 with Jeriah Horne, because we didn't have too many other people on the roster who were able. I can't remember, approx how much time did he spend at the five? Was it split, or was he mostly at the five?

We have had a 6'7" guy playing the five at times recently. Sadly as recently as 2021 with Jeriah Horne, because we didn't have too many other people on the roster who were able. I can't remember, approx how much time did he spend at the five? Was it split, or was he mostly at the five?
This really sums it up. We’ve struggled to find/keep true big men. It’s hard to run an offense designed with a true big when you’re playing a 6’7 guy at the 5.

This really sums it up. We’ve struggled to find/keep true big men. It’s hard to run an offense designed with a true big when you’re playing a 6’7 guy at the 5.
Yeah, I think between Reed, Keita, Smikle, Garcia, and whoever we pull in at PF/C, we can man the 4 and 5 with guys that are 6'8"- seven foot something. Hopefully Garcia will be the shortest guy at the 4, at 6'8". Would be really nice if this guy signed, and played the 3, for two reasons. One, becuz he is a good player, and two becuz it would signify we have better suited players than him at the 4 and 5.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
I have no idea.

I am a Tulsan who only really follows TU sports. I don't have any interest in sports in other cities except the USMNT. I don't listen to sports talk radio nor do I watch random games other than occasionally NFL.
I don't see what's funny. Just the facts.

If we dropped D1 sports at TU I doubt I would ever watch a college game again. No interest at all otherwise.

Probably only watch USMNT soccer, Super Bowl, and get some new hobbies.

Seems like a nice player to have at the 4. It sounds like FDU played him at the 5. I can’t see that being possible in the American.
He barely averaged 5 rb/game at FDU in obviously a much lower conference, seems like he and the juco guy are both getting our attention bc of their 3 pt shooting. The good news is that if they're replacements for Carlous, they have a pretty low bar to clear.

Yeah, I think between Reed, Keita, Smikle, Garcia, and whoever we pull in at PF/C, we can man the 4 and 5 with guys that are 6'8"- seven foot something. Hopefully Garcia will be the shortest guy at the 4, at 6'8". Would be really nice if this guy signed, and played the 3, for two reasons. One, becuz he is a good player, and two becuz it would signify we have better suited players than him at the 4 and 5.

I would like to point out that every one of our players has one year left of eligibility. At least that's how we have to look at each player now. A difficult thing to keep in our minds each game.
Sad but true in the current state of college basketball.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Last year 10 recruits.(2 short of full roster)

This year PRESENTLY 7 recruits.(full roster hopefully)

Yeah, I think between Reed, Smikle, Garcia, and whoever we pull in at PF/C, we can man the 4
and 5 with guys that are 6'8"...
(removed Keita's name)
Putting on my most positive TU cap, that list is scary....If we add Barnes to the list to make
it inclusive of all present roster front court players, it is hard to see any, with the possible
exception of Garcia, that could start for any team in the AAC....

We obviously are counting heavily on "whoever we pull in at PF/C"

(removed Keita's name)
Putting on my most positive TU cap, that list is scary....If we add Barnes to the list to make
it inclusive of all present roster front court players, it is hard to see any, with the possible

I think you’re discounting our players alot and internal growth

I think you’re discounting our players alot and internal growth
We are betting the farm that our returning players will have improved drastically. That has happened before with players like Pooh Williamson, Kevin Johnson, and even Jerome Jordan who exploded on the scene later in their career here.

(removed Keita's name)

You haven't seen what Reed will do his sophomore year after the 'leap'. You haven't considered Garcia's improvement in play next year. You haven't considered what the team will be like with somebody like this Almonor kid that might sign this weekend. It can be a mix of players that covers that spot defensively, and it doesn't have to be someone 6'11" or above. You never see players in the future, and pretty much always evaluate what they did for you, not what they can do for you. Just because they wouldn't start for someone with what they did their freshman(or even sophomore year) doesn't mean they won't develop into something way better their sophomore or junior year.

I would love to have somebody like KJ or Charlie Davis. If we find a Brandon Kurtz out there, we are going to have to be happy with one good year out of him his sophomore or junior year, because someone will come along and pay something ridiculous like 1.2m for him his junior or senior year. Maybe we might get to the level where we have someone paying that kind of nil in a few years, but I doubt it.

We are going to have to find ways to do it with shorter big men,(possibly with two of the shorter guys combining their skills) & multiple 3 pt shooters. Otherwise we are going to have way too high of expectations of our coach. He can't go find that dynamite transfer year in and year out, that breaks out the next year. The guy would transfer the next year, and then our coach would have to start all over again. You can't expect a coach to rinse and repeat that cycle over and over with any consistent success.

Last edited:
Reactions: TUMU and I.I.
We are betting the farm that our returning players will have improved drastically. That has happened before with players like Pooh Williamson, Kevin Johnson, and even Jerome Jordan who exploded on the scene later in their career here.
Except we didn't keep the Jerome Jordan. We started over with a shorter, but bulkier Smikle. Hopefully he is more like Loftin Jr, and can provide us with something his freshman year, but not pinning all my hopes on that.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
Lots of teams out there have success with spread offenses featuring ball movement and 3 point shooting. The coach needs to commit a particular style and recruit to the same. Reed is the perfect big for that type of basketball imo. Big stretch 4 who can knock it down from 3 AND play post defense when required (he will be much better after a year in the weight room).

Lots of teams out there have success with spread offenses featuring ball movement and 3 point shooting. The coach needs to commit a particular style and recruit to the same. Reed is the perfect big for that type of basketball imo. Big stretch 4 who can knock it down from 3 AND play post defense when required (he will be much better after a year in the weight room).
This almonor kid we have visiting in a couple of days intimates that he may have committed to that style.

We are his best offer imo and last visit. Think we get him unless someone else gets involved late
How many offers did he get? I couldn't find any lists of offers except for the ones I know he got from the other two places he visits this week.

We are his best offer imo and last visit. Think we get him unless someone else gets involved late
Did a little more research and didn't find much. Mizzou expressed interest in him early. Don't know if an offer went out, or if it did, if it's still good. Saw Rutgers mentioned in a search, but was blocked to see if there was anything to it, because I wasn't subscribed to the site.

Did a little more research and didn't find much. Mizzou expressed interest in him early. Don't know if an offer went out, or if it did, if it's still good. Saw Rutgers mentioned in a search, but was blocked to see if there was anything to it, because I wasn't subscribed to the site.
Only schools I could find where there was mutual interest are the three he’s visiting 🤷‍♂️

Only schools I could find where there was mutual interest are the three he’s visiting 🤷‍♂️
He seems like he'd be a role player mainly focused on 3PT for us. He was the 44th best 3pt shooter in the country last year so he'd probably be able to contribute at a somewhat higher level program but I'd be surprised if he would have a lot of role at a place better than TU.

Brandon Kurtz is the only big time, big man recruit in the past 30 years.

All the others were either shorter post guys or home grown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT