ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

The first nail in the coffin was OU and UGA Board of Regents vs NCAA which formed the CFA... TU and other programs tripped all over themselves to qualify for the CFA rather than banding together to snuff it. We are finally reaching the endgame of that decision.

I find it ironic that the very marginalized groups that these overglorified bastions of enlightened thinking claim to value the most are going to be the ones most directly affected.

Opportunities for women and minorities to achieve a college education will shrink as a result. These instituions will wring their hands and lament the plight of these groups. All while raking in huge bucks on the backs of 30 yr old 10th yr senior grad students thst couldnt make the league.
Why will this hurt women and minorities? That doesn't make sense to me.

And if you think university presidents have any control over this, you're woefully naive. The same ultrarich people who fund NLI programs are the ones who can pull the plug on university leadership. Do you really think the president at Michigan, Georgia or Texas could unilaterally ban NIL funds from their schools? They're just along for the ride.

I’m not sure any professional sports model can operate in an environment where the teams have no contracts with their players. Same with zero rules regarding team payrolls and conduct relating to their players. If there is currently such a model please advise.
This is the real problem. The professional leagues' competitive balance rules as well as revenue sharing developed over many years, but the floodgates opened on college sports all at once. Things will have to change but it's going to take time. The current system is obviously not sustainable for the reasons that you clearly recognize.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
This isn't their job, if they want a job they can go out in the real world and not get a free education, just start work right out of high school. It's a privilege to get to play college sports, not a requirement. There's enough divas in professional sports, don't need them in college, sorry, semi pro sports as well now

Depends. Many executives have non-compete clauses that require they sit out for a period of time based on compensation received.
Non-competes are becoming much more restricted if not illegal in many states (bizarrely, they have been illegal in Oklahoma for quite a while, which seems like a very non Oklahoma thing). The general trend is to make it easier for workers to move around and harder for employers to stop them. Maybe that's part of the reason that schools are so insistent that players are not employees.

Non-competition Agreements under Scrutiny at State and Federal Level

Indiana State Runner up NIT team with 5 returning starters suddenly dissolves into the portal leaving them no chance for next year. Avila, the Junior Lofton La Tech look alike, is gone with his other 4 starters to the portal. They would have won 1-2 games in the NCAA this year if allowed in. Of course Arkansas has lost every player on their team from this year. (they were terrible this year)

Indiana State Runner up NIT team with 5 returning starters suddenly dissolves into the portal leaving them no chance for next year. Avila, the Junior Lofton La Tech look alike, is gone with his other 4 starters to the portal. They would have won 1-2 games in the NCAA this year if allowed in. Of course Arkansas has lost every player on their team from this year. (they were terrible this year)

Didn’t their coach leave for SLU?

Depends on how you, or the committee, views conferences. Right now A-10>Valley.
It's not supposed to be a committee view of conferences. It is supposed to be an individual school against another one. They make that point every year. Now I agree that it is not followed and some of the AD's on the committee are old football players or fans who don't know a pick and roll from a tootsie roll.

It's not supposed to be a committee view of conferences. It is supposed to be an individual school against another one. They make that point every year. Now I agree that it is not followed and some of the AD's on the committee are old football players or fans who don't know a pick and roll from a tootsie roll.
Supposed to be and what actually happened are two different things… that’s why we see middling B1G teams get in with a losing conference record. They can say all day long that they don’t consider certain things like that, but we all know they absolutely do.

Haven't been on for a while. Sucks that the best player I've seen at Tulsa for a while is going to Memphis, but when I think about it and who the coach is he might be better off. Only time will tell.

Our players often say they came here at least in part because they could play in the American. It plays in to a certain extent.

Haven't been on for a while. Sucks that the best player I've seen at Tulsa for a while is going to Memphis, but when I think about it and who the coach is he might be better off. Only time will tell.
He went for the money, nothing else and the coaching he will be getting at Memphis is INFINITELY worse. Penny is an AAU coach, nothing more.

He went for the money, nothing else and the coaching he will be getting at Memphis is INFINITELY worse. Penny is an AAU coach, nothing more.
Pretty much what the NBA is now game wise. No were close to the game in pre 90s, and not the game I grew up playing.

But with 400 people in the NBA and 5k in NCAA men's to division (estimate on my part) someone like PJ who might be a long shot in the NBA can get paid now, invest, and be comfortable going forward. Yes, there are a lot of variables, ifs, and but's, in that statement... but I can see the reasoning.

In the end, thanks to a school down the turnpike and a few others, men's college athletics at the highest level is no longer fun to watch. I got more enjoyment going to Central Michigan games to watch a kid who went to my High School than watching a single NCAA tourney game. Correct, I watched zero minutes of post season after CMU and Tulsa lost. That hasn't happened... well, ever. I watched every second of the TU women's team I could, but it's just not the same game.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Pretty much what the NBA is now game wise. No were close to the game in pre 90s, and not the game I grew up playing.

But with 400 people in the NBA and 5k in NCAA men's to division (estimate on my part) someone like PJ who might be a long shot in the NBA can get paid now, invest, and be comfortable going forward. Yes, there are a lot of variables, ifs, and but's, in that statement... but I can see the reasoning.

In the end, thanks to a school down the turnpike and a few others, men's college athletics at the highest level is no longer fun to watch. I got more enjoyment going to Central Michigan games to watch a kid who went to my High School than watching a single NCAA tourney game. Correct, I watched zero minutes of post season after CMU and Tulsa lost. That hasn't happened... well, ever. I watched every second of the TU women's team I could, but it's just not the same game.
I watched way more of the women's tournament than I did the men's and I didn't watch a single second of the men's Final Four. And I can't stand the NBA any more with the rigged teams and collusion between players and the fake a$$ "salary cap" and the rigged teams aren't even that good to be honest. Best teams are Boston where all but a couple of the key players are Boston draft picks and developed in Boston (Porzingis, Jrue Holiday, and Horford were drafted somewhere else), the Knicks who have really built the right way. The 2 LA teams that have colluded and conspired to build super teams are actually pretty awful. Oh, and OKC where they've built with their draft and young players. I know SGA isn't an original OKC pick but they've developed him into the superstar he is vs the player they traded away and he was sort of the throw in to make the deal happen.

I'd rather all of the major professional sports went with a hard cap like the NFL to encourage parity and give teams from smaller markets an actual legit chance to put together a winning team. Even the NHL, that I am a huge fan of especially come playoff time, pretty much relegates most of the smaller markets wishing they can compete while teams like the Rangers spend money like it grows on trees because they're not worried about paying the luxury tax. Even large market teams like the Bruins spend on the cheap to stay under the luxury tax because Delaware North Corp. is a bunch of cheap bastards. And it's ruined the Canadian teams because of the exchange rate. Great players stay because they're paid more but it's hard for those teams to put other good players around them. (But for real, the NHL playoffs are the absolute best, they have the best trophies, and they award the MVP of the playoffs to the player that did the best throughout the playoffs).

I wonder if the NCAA can put an NIL $ cap per player and per school IF the schools vote and agree to it. My guess is still no because there is no bargaining unit for the athletes. The professional sports get away with it because it is part of the collective bargaining agreements between the leagues, the players unions, and the teams.

Reactions: TulsaAM
I watched way more of the women's tournament than I did the men's and I didn't watch a single second of the men's Final Four. And I can't stand the NBA any more with the rigged teams and collusion between players and the fake a$$ "salary cap" and the rigged teams aren't even that good to be honest. Best teams are Boston where all but a couple of the key players are Boston draft picks and developed in Boston (Porzingis, Jrue Holiday, and Horford were drafted somewhere else), the Knicks who have really built the right way. The 2 LA teams that have colluded and conspired to build super teams are actually pretty awful. Oh, and OKC where they've built with their draft and young players. I know SGA isn't an original OKC pick but they've developed him into the superstar he is vs the player they traded away and he was sort of the throw in to make the deal happen.

I'd rather all of the major professional sports went with a hard cap like the NFL to encourage parity and give teams from smaller markets an actual legit chance to put together a winning team. Even the NHL, that I am a huge fan of especially come playoff time, pretty much relegates most of the smaller markets wishing they can compete while teams like the Rangers spend money like it grows on trees because they're not worried about paying the luxury tax. Even large market teams like the Bruins spend on the cheap to stay under the luxury tax because Delaware North Corp. is a bunch of cheap bastards. And it's ruined the Canadian teams because of the exchange rate. Great players stay because they're paid more but it's hard for those teams to put other good players around them. (But for real, the NHL playoffs are the absolute best, they have the best trophies, and they award the MVP of the playoffs to the player that did the best throughout the playoffs).

I wonder if the NCAA can put an NIL $ cap per player and per school IF the schools vote and agree to it. My guess is still no because there is no bargaining unit for the athletes. The professional sports get away with it because it is part of the collective bargaining agreements between the leagues, the players unions, and the teams.

From what I read, a lot more people watched the women’s over the men’s final 4 and finals this year.

There were just no players on any of the men’s teams that have the name recognition of Caitlin Clark.

The one and done rules have made it to where the casual fans don’t know any of the players, even on the top teams. The closest one this year would be “that tall guy” at Purdue, but I would be willing to bet that most don’t even know his name.

I watch NBA almost every night, and they put a much better and more entertaining product on the court than you’re giving them credit for.

The NBA is the league that seems to have figured it out the best. The top 3 teams in the west and 4 of the top 6 are smaller market teams. In the east, 3 of the top 6 are smaller market (maybe 4, I don't know how big a market Orlando is).

The NFL is hard, you pay a QB, WR and edge rusher 30% of your salary cap, it's hard to have a very interesting team with the other 50 guys getting the leftovers.

From what I read, a lot more people watched the women’s over the men’s final 4 and finals this year.

There were just no players on any of the men’s teams that have the name recognition of Caitlin Clark.

The one and done rules have made it to where the casual fans don’t know any of the players, even on the top teams. The closest one this year would be “that tall guy” at Purdue, but I would be willing to bet that most don’t even know his name.

I watch NBA almost every night, and they put a much better and more entertaining product on the court than you’re giving them credit for.
Interestingly enough, because Zach Edey is Canadian and needed a student visa to be in the US, he is not allowed to make any money while in the country. He can only make NIL $ from Canadian companies and doing work in Canada. So while you say Caitlin Clark in 100 State Farm commercials, Edey wouldn't be able to do that unless he flew to Canada to do the work and then back to West Lafayette.

As for the NBA, I tuned out after the mid 90s when the game changed to a FT shooting contest. I hate that someone sneezes in the vicinity of Lebron James and a foul is called. It takes way too long for the last 2 minutes of a game to play out. I timed it once and a close game with 2.5 minutes left took 25 minutes of actual time to play out. And now the referees review literally every call in the last 2 minutes and coaches can challenge foul calls. And now that teams aren't allowed to play good hard nosed defense like you used to see, it's almost as bad as the All Star game. As much as I love Boston being good, seeing the 80-65 halftime scorelines is appalling to me. I might watch some of the playoff games the Celtics are involved with but my attention most nights through June will be the NHL playoffs where you know the refs swallow the whistles in the 3rd period and let the teams settle things on the ice. The # of fights also go way down which I enjoy...and there is nothing like NHL playoff games that go OT.

Interestingly enough, because Zach Edey is Canadian and needed a student visa to be in the US, he is not allowed to make any money while in the country. He can only make NIL $ from Canadian companies and doing work in Canada. So while you say Caitlin Clark in 100 State Farm commercials, Edey wouldn't be able to do that unless he flew to Canada to do the work and then back to West Lafayette.

As for the NBA, I tuned out after the mid 90s when the game changed to a FT shooting contest. I hate that someone sneezes in the vicinity of Lebron James and a foul is called. It takes way too long for the last 2 minutes of a game to play out. I timed it once and a close game with 2.5 minutes left took 25 minutes of actual time to play out. And now the referees review literally every call in the last 2 minutes and coaches can challenge foul calls. And now that teams aren't allowed to play good hard nosed defense like you used to see, it's almost as bad as the All Star game. As much as I love Boston being good, seeing the 80-65 halftime scorelines is appalling to me. I might watch some of the playoff games the Celtics are involved with but my attention most nights through June will be the NHL playoffs where you know the refs swallow the whistles in the 3rd period and let the teams settle things on the ice. The # of fights also go way down which I enjoy...and there is nothing like NHL playoff games that go OT.

You should watch the g-league final on Monday night between the OKC Blue and the Maine Celtics. They put on a pretty good show and are mostly guys that would still be playing college ball had they had any incentive to stay in school.

The exception is Ousmane Dieng, who seems lost and confused even on a g-league court. I still can’t believe Presti gave 3 first round picks to trade up for the guy.

Isn't that kind of like going to a strip club because you're a dancing purist?
Nah. I'm not saying fights in hockey shouldn't happen...I just am not a fan of the ones that are staged and scripted sort of like WWE. The two goons are on the ice, they look at each other and literally ask "we gonna do this now?" and the second the puck gets dropped, their gloves are on the ice. Fights that are organic between star players because something happened in the action are way better. Ray Bourque and Mats Sundin, 2 of the games bigger stars back in the day, threw down back in the ay mostly because Sundin was being checked to death by Bourque when Sundin was trying to camp out in front of his goalie. Epic fight too. Derian Hatcher (who was sort of a goon) going after Mark Messier (not a goon but a cheap shot player even as a star) after Messier threw an elbow that knocked Mike Modano out. I'm OK with things like that, sort of like the occasional bench clearing brawl in baseball. I still contend that the moment Jason Varitek told Alex Rodriguez to STFU and run to first after getting plunked by a Sox pitcher and then proceeding to beat the hell out of him was the moment the Red Sox changed their fortunes in 2004 on their way to winning the World Series.

Thing is, in the playoffs in the NHL, the fights stop because there is so much on the line for teams...you can't afford to get an instigator penalty and go short handed, you can't afford to have a player get a misconduct from the shenanigans and have a short bench. You can't afford to have a player get hurt from a fight and have a short bench. It's just one of those unwritten rules in the NHL playoffs. And most teams don't even include their enforcers in the lineup for the playoffs UNLESS that player is also a contributor in killing power plays or a stout defending forward that is used to shut down the other team's top line. Most of the goons back in the day (think Jay Miller, Jon Kordic, or Bruce Shoebottom) weren't particularly skilled in any of those areas.

You should watch the g-league final on Monday night between the OKC Blue and the Maine Celtics. They put on a pretty good show and are mostly guys that would still be playing college ball had they had any incentive to stay in school.

The exception is Ousmane Dieng, who seems lost and confused even on a g-league court. I still can’t believe Presti gave 3 first round picks to trade up for the guy.
Presti has done fairly well with the draft. I fear that OKC won't offer max extensions to the start players, or at least not all of them, thus allowing them to walk before they reach their full potential as a team.

Wait people hate the NBA? The quality of basketball in the league is so good now. There’s so many elite players now. The shotmaking is incredible. Y’all are missing out.

Wait people hate the NBA? The quality of basketball in the league is so good now. There’s so many elite players now. The shotmaking is incredible. Y’all are missing out.
Too long of a season.
Most of the time it’s a offensive showcase.
I’ll watch the finals but that’s it.

As for college ball, the reviews and that an offensive player can drop their shoulder and initiate contact and it be a defensive foul is asinine. Granted, I love that it worked for PJ but it was still dumb.

College football and basketball have gone to hell with the “NIL” and free transfer rules.

Being a fan of a school that has a too little too late attitude with their athletic vision makes even worse.

Grrrrr…
This off season has made me very grumpy and sad 😡😢

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT