ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

Memphis has FedEx. It is that simple.

I hate this about this sport and I can't blame haggerty. You have to maximize your income.

Meinhard went to Clemson, which has a long history of sending US players to Europe. He played a key role on a team that won a national championship. He graduated from TU with honors and left one of the most prolific players in program history. He’s a poster boy for modern college sports done right. TU will give you a little money on the front end if you hit the books, give you a valuable degree to cover you on the back end, and if you’ve got talent, we will get you ready to show it on much bigger stages where you’ll get your pay off.
I was talking bout where he was,(the state) not the school. I meant to put the school in, but fogot.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Ruined. True.

I had zero interest in the NCAA tournament this year. Maybe watched 20 minutes in total just first round. Who cares really?

Your condescending attitude needs to stop.

Transferring to an in conference rival after clearly being tampered with...purely for money. Yes, I have no respect for him anymore.

The other guys? Sure I wish them well, I hold nothing against them at all. But please tell me how I think.

Wow, you may have written the book on condescending attitude.

Unfortunately, this was all pretty predictable well in advance to those who weren’t afraid to share their opinions.

Ruined? Nah. Players are finally getting their piece of the pie. It’s how it should be.
No, players aren’t getting a piece of the pie. Some players are getting pie, many are getting crumbs and soon there will be fewer players because the new system will force programs to shut or go to a level where they offer no scholarships or partial ones. So few win but more will lose the opportunity. It isn’t the schools that are paying these crazy amounts from their TV $$$ to share the pie. It is big money fans that are trying to buy championships or influence in the sports world.

So you have zero issue with how all this is going down? Knowing good and well that it harms institutions like TU?
The first nail in the coffin was OU and UGA Board of Regents vs NCAA which formed the CFA... TU and other programs tripped all over themselves to qualify for the CFA rather than banding together to snuff it. We are finally reaching the endgame of that decision.

I find it ironic that the very marginalized groups that these overglorified bastions of enlightened thinking claim to value the most are going to be the ones most directly affected.

Opportunities for women and minorities to achieve a college education will shrink as a result. These instituions will wring their hands and lament the plight of these groups. All while raking in huge bucks on the backs of 30 yr old 10th yr senior grad students thst couldnt make the league.

The first nail in the coffin was OU and UGA Board of Regents vs NCAA which formed the CFA... TU and other programs tripped all over themselves to qualify for the CFA rather than banding together to snuff it. We are finally reaching the endgame of that decision.

I find it ironic that the very marginalized groups that these overglorified bastions of enlightened thinking claim to value the most are going to be the ones most directly affected.

Opportunities for women and minorities to achieve a college education will shrink as a result. These instituions will wring their hands and lament the plight of these groups. All while raking in huge bucks on the backs of 30 yr old 10th yr senior grad students thst couldnt make the league.
Does this surprise you in today's political climate where some of the more extreme members of the GOP have publicly stated women don't belong in college or educated. Their job is to produce babies (yes I'm paraphrasing, but that's essentially the gist and you've seen more and more members of Congress like Tuberville and even more extreme with members of individual state legislatures, taking this stance). By removing the athletic equation from universities and taking federal money out of the equation, the need to adhere to Title IX by these athletic depts. is removed. Before long the athletic depts. that can will remove themselves from being parts of the universities and incorporate under the NIL collectives.

It's going to be a weird dynamic because schools right now are claiming the $ puts more back into their school because they don't have to use general fund for athletics. The giants will move towards this because they really don't need to academic institutions any more and without the faux academic constraints anymore they will basically be an NFL developmental league. The catch will be how do they continue to use a university's name and maintain that connection because they certainly don't want to dry up that alumni pool of money without the DOE saying they're still a part and still fall under Title IX

So you have zero issue with how all this is going down? Knowing good and well that it harms institutions like TU?
Nope. Players gotta do what’s best for them. People leave their jobs all the time for more money. That’s just how this country works. Never gonna have issue with people getting paid.

Does this surprise you in today's political climate where some of the more extreme members of the GOP have publicly stated women don't belong in college or educated. Their job is to produce babies (yes I'm paraphrasing, but that's essentially the gist and you've seen more and more members of Congress like Tuberville and even more extreme with members of individual state legislatures, taking this stance). By removing the athletic equation from universities and taking federal money out of the equation, the need to adhere to Title IX by these athletic depts. is removed. Before long the athletic depts. that can will remove themselves from being parts of the universities and incorporate under the NIL collectives.

It's going to be a weird dynamic because schools right now are claiming the $ puts more back into their school because they don't have to use general fund for athletics. The giants will move towards this because they really don't need to academic institutions any more and without the faux academic constraints anymore they will basically be an NFL developmental league. The catch will be how do they continue to use a university's name and maintain that connection because they certainly don't want to dry up that alumni pool of money without the DOE saying they're still a part and still fall under Title IX
TU_BLA….most universities are ran by very liberal individuals. They are in fact the ones behind our new realty. Not sure what extreme members of GOP Congress have to do with the current situation with our universities. I don’t view the current college landscape from a political standpoint. I view it from a greed perspective.

Reactions: noble cane
Nope. Players gotta do what’s best for them. People leave their jobs all the time for more money. That’s just how this country works. Never gonna have issue with people getting paid.
You're missing the point. It's a drastic change for college athletics, so comparing it to the real world and people changing jobs isn't the same.

Reactions: drboobay
No, players aren’t getting a piece of the pie. Some players are getting pie, many are getting crumbs and soon there will be fewer players because the new system will force programs to shut or go to a level where they offer no scholarships or partial ones. So few win but more will lose the opportunity. It isn’t the schools that are paying these crazy amounts from their TV $$$ to share the pie. It is big money fans that are trying to buy championships or influence in the sports world.
Let me know when a program shuts down because of NIL and the portal. D2 basketball teams are mostly full scholarship guys with 10 scholarships. NAIA is still eight scholarships. That’s still pretty darn good when other aid can be added to those numbers.

You're missing the point. It's a drastic change for college athletics, so comparing it to the real world and people changing jobs isn't the same.
It’s not a dramatic change. The money is just more out in the open.

So you’re a TU “fan” but fine with this issue tanking TU athletics.

Doesn’t really add up.

It’s not a dramatic change. The money is just more out in the open.
The money might be more “out in the open” but the current transfer rules make this a dramatic change imo and is obviously the key component driving these payments higher.

So you’re a TU “fan” but fine with this issue tanking TU athletics.

Doesn’t really add up.
You got me. Not a fan. Just went to every home basketball and football game this year. Went to some soccer, volleyball, softball and tennis too. But nope just not a fan.

Memphis players are not going to put up him shooting as much as he did at TU. He won't be happy. His teammates won't be happy. He and his new Memphis teammates are highly paid, overrated, selfish players who all want the ball.

This is the biggest problem for TU. TU has no big donors that move the needle in today’s NCAA sports world. SMU does, Memphis does.

The Tulsa metro area is growing and supposedly has a lot of money floating around. TU hasn’t been able to motivate enough money people in Tulsa to significantly support TU athletics.

Reactions: TUMU and I.I.
Memphis players are not going to put up him shooting as much as he did at TU. He won't be happy. His teammates won't be happy. He and his new Memphis teammates are highly paid, overrated, selfish players who all want the ball.
It's going to be absolutely hysterical to watch them flounder again. Penny is such a HORRIBLE basketball coach and the players they get are just a pure money grab. He and David Jones together is going to be a beautiful disaster of "my turn, your turn".

This is the biggest problem for TU. TU has no big donors that move the needle in today’s NCAA sports world. SMU does, Memphis does.

The Tulsa metro area is growing and supposedly has a lot of money floating around. TU hasn’t been able to motivate enough money people in Tulsa to significantly support TU athletics.
False, and donors are very motivated right now. Haggerty was offered a large sum to stay.

If I had dated one of the QT girls in high school (preferably the older one), I'd still be married and would've solved this entire problem with a jedi mind trick.

This isn't their job, if they want a job they can go out in the real world and not get a free education, just start work right out of high school. It's a privilege to get to play college sports, not a requirement. There's enough divas in professional sports, don't need them in college, sorry, semi pro sports as well now

False, and donors are very motivated right now. Haggerty was offered a large sum to stay.
True. Memphis offered Haggerty 3X more. TU athletics have not kept up with their peers in the last decade. The results are obvious.

I hope you are correct that TU is NOW very motivated. We have a lot of catching up to do to be competitive. We must increase our donor base in the Tulsa area business community.

This isn't their job, if they want a job they can go out in the real world and not get a free education, just start work right out of high school. It's a privilege to get to play college sports, not a requirement. There's enough divas in professional sports, don't need them in college, sorry, semi pro sports as well now
College sports is a job. Don’t act like they’re here for an education. Lol

Does it surprise you since the majority of these universities are run by liberal democrats?

My original post was about the university leadership.. not washington politics.

Reactions: TulsaGrad07

That lawsuit was about suing, indirectly, the Big 10 and Notre Dame, who some believed controlled television appearances through the NCAA, and therefore the relative size of every one’s budgets. You can make a convincing argument the events of the last three years have been an attempt to undo the consequences of the Big 10 losing that decision and return us to the status quo of 1957. No transfer rules. No scholarship limits, direct payments to players, Big 10 decides who is on TV and who isn’t.

You got me. Not a fan. Just went to every home basketball and football game this year. Went to some soccer, volleyball, softball and tennis too. But nope just not a fan.
Can't see the forest for the trees kind of guy. Doesn't realize the fact that less athletes are going to end up getting scholarships, such that the stars can get paid. Overall the student/athlete suffers. Can't be a fan if you don't realize all of this is going to put TU out of business as an NCAA participant.

College sports is a job. Don’t act like they’re here for an education. Lol
About 35% of the athletes in college sports are only there to get paid, and move on to the pros. The others are intent on getting a degree. If you aren't a troll, you're definitely an a0.

+money is NOT the main reason people change jobs. It is an element but a much bigger element is the quality of the employee's relationship with their supervisor.

There are also personality factors related to job hopping.

The research is pretty clear on this. It is definitely not all about the dollars in the business world. Much more complex.

Isn't this a summary of TU athletics over the last 70 years or so? As you all know, there's a reason there are no schools in FBS smaller than TU (and outside of the service academies, it isn't even close) - it takes big money. With our small size, it's an ongoing uphill battle to get the resources needed to compete at the highest level. Most would say given our size TU doesn't belong on the same field as Notre Dame or court as UCLA, but I have seen us victorious over both, along with many other much more endowed programs. A huge part of why I will always love the Golden Hurricane is because we're the little guy, the runt, in there scrapping with the big boys. TU has done amazingly well over the years considering our deficiencies thanks to its generous benefactors and thankfully it sounds like we're still in there giving it our best fight. Hell, TU itself likely wouldn't exist without the incredible generosity of non-alumni donors who have supported the whole enterprise for decades. But it just takes so much money to excel in FBS.

The old(er) timers can chime in, but I recall shortly after I arrived at TU in the 80's and started working in the AD I found deep in an old drawer a button that declared something like "TU - D 1-A Yes!" I asked about it and was told there was huge debate and controversy when Div I split in 1978 about which way TU should go. I found this old article about that split and find it fascinating that while some of the issues may seem quaint by today's standards, many of the same concerns are still being wrestled with today: https://vault.si.com/vault/1978/01/23/the-ncaa-splits-its-decision

Reactions: TUMU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT