ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

This whole situation is always why I thought that athletic surpluses should have been mandated to go to academic purposes (academic scholarships, etc….), and coaches salaries should have been capped.

• Haha
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I see several donors on here that are still hesitant in contributing to NIL. This is now the ONLY way our basketball team will continue to exist at least how you wish it to exist. Other schools who have plenty of NIL donors will be taking those top 4 spots in the league for a long time if we don’t attempt to compete with them. I contribute to the Champions fund too, but it does nothing to help retain our best players.
Yep. Either play the game like everyone else or just give up on D1 sports. We have to stop wishing things were different and adapt to the new reality

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
All Changes from my last list are in Bold.

Outgoing

NameYearPositionTeam LeavingTeam going to
Igor Milicic Jr.JuniorSFCharlotte
Dishon JacksonSophomoreCenterCharlotteIowa State
Jackson ThreadgillJuniorSGCharlotte
Daylen BerrySophomoreSGCharlotte
Iaroslav NiaguSophomoreCenterCharlotte
Sterling YoungJuniorPGCharlotte
Benjamin BayelaSeniorSGEast Carolina
Ta'Korrie FaisonFreshmanSFEast Carolina
Jaden WalkerJuniorSGEast Carolina
Bobby PettifordJuniorPGEast Carolina
Kalib LacountSophomorePGEast Carolina
Brandon JohnsonJuniorPFEast Carolina
Ezra AusarSophomorePFEast Carolina
Logan BourgeoisFreshmanPGEast Carolina
Valentino PinedoSophomoreSFEast Carolina
Nicholas BoydSophomorePGFlorida Atlantic
Vladislav GoldinJuniorCenterFlorida Atlantic
Giancarlo RosadoJuniorPFFlorida Atlantic
Javonte TaylorFreshmanSFMemphis
Jayhlon YoungJuniorPGMemphis
Mikey WilliamsFreshmanPGMemphisUCF
Jonathan PierreJuniorSGMemphis
Carl CherenfantFreshmanSGMemphis
Jason EdwardsSophomorePGNorth Texas
Christian MooreSophomorePGNorth Texas
Chris MorganSophomorePFNorth Texas
Rubin JonesJuniorPGNorth Texas
Aaron ScottJuniorSGNorth Texas
Cameron SheffieldJuniorSFRice
Keanu DawesFreshmanPFRice
Mekhi MasonSophomoreSGRice
Alem HuseinovicJuniorSGRice
Anthony SeldonJuniorSGRice
Andrew AkuchieSophomorePFRice
Camp WagnerFreshmanSGRice
Gabe WarrenFreshmanSGRice
Sam HinesJuniorSFSouth Florida
Gerald JonesSophomoreCenterSouth Florida
David OgunleyeJuniorPFSouth Florida
Taj ThweattJuniorSFTemple
Deuce RobertsFreshmanSGTemple
Emmanuel OkpomoJuniorCenterTemple
Hysier MillerJuniorPGTemple
Jahlil WhiteJuniorSGTemple
Max BowmanSophomorePGTulane
Kolby KingSophomorePGTulane
Mier PanoamFreshmanPGTulane
Chauncey GibsonFreshmanSGTulsaUT Arlington
Jared HallFreshmanSFTulsa
PJ HaggertyFreshmanPGTulsa
Carlous WilliamsJuniorSFTulsa
Barry DunningSophomoreSGUAB
Daniel OrtizJuniorPGUAB
James WhiteJuniorSGUAB
K. J. SatterfieldFreshmanSGUAB
Christian TuckerJuniorPGUTSA
Jordan Ivy-CurryJuniorPGUTSAVirginia Tech
Trey Edmonds IIIJuniorCenterUTSA
Chandler CuthrellJuniorPFUTSA
Massal DioufSophomorePFUTSA
Adante HolimanSophomorePGUTSA
Isaac AbiddeSophomorePFWichita State
Jalen RicksSophomoreSGWichita State
Kenny PohtoJuniorCenterWichita State
Colby RogersJuniorSGWichita State
Trevor McBrideFreshmanPGWichita State
Oklahoma Schools​
John HugleyJuniorPFOklahoma
Otega OwehSophomoreSGOklahoma
Javian McCollumJuniorPGOklahoma
Milos UzanSophomorePGOklahoma
Brandon GarrisonFreshmanCenterOklahoma State
Eric DaileyFreshmanSFOklahoma State
Naz BrownSophomorePGOklahoma State
Javon SmallJuniorPGOklahoma State
Quion WilliamsSophomoreSGOklahoma State
Cam AmboreeSophomorePGORU
Jailen BedfordJuniorSGORU
Trey PhippsJuniorPGORU
Demari WilliamsSophomoreSGORU
Isaac McBrideJuniorPGORU
Elijah LawrenceSophomorePGORU
Jake ShannonJuniorSGORU
Ashton SmithSophomorePFORU

Incoming players

NameYearPositionTeam LeavingTeam going to
Nae’Qwan TomlinJuniorPFKansas StateMemphis

Fran Fraschilla made an important statement on 'X" ....Keep in mind that many of these guys entering the transfer portal have been fired. That was most of them last year at Tulsa.

I give a small amount to NIL
Less than 5% or my total donations to both academics and athletics which I keep even for my conscience

Reactions: HuffyCane
I see several donors on here that are still hesitant in contributing to NIL. This is now the ONLY way our basketball team will continue to exist at least how you wish it to exist. Other schools who have plenty of NIL donors will be taking those top 4 spots in the league for a long time if we don’t attempt to compete with them. I contribute to the Champions fund too, but it does nothing to help retain our best players.
Not debating the truth of your comments at all. I think my point is closer to “This is not sustainable. Something has got to change.”

What college sports leadership needs to understand is that there are two categories of fans that they are serving:
- Casual fans are buying entertainment.
- Committed fans are buying hope. Hope that this year we’ll win the conference/make the tourney/get to the playoff/etc.

If the majority of committed fans from the majority of DI schools that don’t have mega-$$$ feel like it’s pointless to keep hoping, then they will slowly morph into casual fans. And that will not be good for anyone involved.

Incidentally, the reason worldwide soccer leagues have such fanatical fanbases (at all levels, not just the top flight) partly has to do with hope. Every team has “hope” pretty much all season long, every season.
- Hope we get promoted.
- Hope we don’t get relegated.
- Hope we qualify for the Champions League/Europa/Cup.
- Hope we make the knockout rounds.
- Hope we win the title.

Contrast that with the KC Royals. Their season is usually effectively over about 20% of the way through the year. And what is left to hope for? That we don’t finish in last place? (There’s no punishment if we do! Actually get rewarded with better draft picks!)

Reactions: drboobay
Not debating the truth of your comments at all. I think my point is closer to “This is not sustainable. Something has got to change.”

What college sports leadership needs to understand is that there are two categories of fans that they are serving:
- Committed fans are buying hope. Hope that this year we’ll win the conference/make the tourney/get to the playoff/etc.

If the majority of committed fans from the majority of DI schools that don’t have mega-$$$ feel like it’s pointless to keep hoping, then they will slowly morph into casual fans. And that will not be good for anyone involved.

Incidentally, the reason worldwide soccer leagues have such fanatical fanbases (at all levels, not just the top flight) partly has to do with hope. Every team has “hope” pretty much all season long, every season.
- Hope we get promoted.
- Hope we win the title.

Contrast that with the KC Royals. Their season is usually effectively over about 20% of the way through the year. And what is left to hope for? That we don’t finish in last place? (There’s no punishment if we do! Actually get rewarded with better draft picks!)
Yes, this is not sustainable for Tulsa. We don't have a large enough fan base that truly cares that can give enough money to keep the best players at Tulsa and away from the schools with huge NIL money.
Now, if the few supporters that have enough mega millions are going to donate large dollars to our NIL program, that would change things and I would probably donate to NIL.
For now, I renewed my Champions pledge with a 10% increase.

Regarding your Royals comment. Our staring pitching is the best in MLB through 5 games, lol.
Wasn't surprised the Stadium proposal failed last night.
Sherman is hell bent on getting a new stadium.

Last edited:
And this is because the NILs and schools haven't started playing the game to give them some leverage in this insanity. Schools in so called lesser conferences need to even the game up somehow and this is the way to do it. The players are certainly signing some sort of NIL contract/agreement, so now it's time to add some teeth to it. Here's the thing, most of these NIL deals are just booster payments directly to the player with no services being provided. You've had a few sign lucrative NIL deals where the player actually had their names/likenesses used in ads for the companies paying them. Caleb Williams and Wendy's, Caitlin Clark and State Farm. That was more the whole point...that and EA being able to bring back their NCAA games, schools being able to market jerseys with actual player numbers on them, players being able to go to card and memorabilia shows and signing things for $$ and appearance fees. Ed O'Bannon started this, Jeremy Bloom quit playing college football because the NCAA said he couldn't take money for being one of the best trick and stunt skiers in history despite the fact that it had no bearing on his status as an amateur football player (do you all remember how freaking fast this kid was?)

The NIL thing went way the opposite direction and combined with the stupidity that is the transfer portal, you've basically got college free agency by the day, not even the year. And as long as the courts are going to treat college athletes like their pro athletes, then it's time for the collectives and schools to treat them as such to with employment agreements/contracts they must sign. Screw LOIs anymore, they haven't meant anything in years. They wanted the freedom to move like coaches do, well then they can sign on for buyout clauses as well. A place like TU should include the cost of the NIL, the cost of training, gear, tuition, etc. plus remaining lost years as part of the buyout. If Texas wants PJ that bad, let them pony up $300k as the buyout.
In soccer that’s called a “sale on” clause and it’s inevitable in college sports.

- Hope we get promoted.
- Hope we win the title.

1000% Agree!

I’ve always thought transferring in conference is a bad look. Lots of kids seem to do it though. Is what it is.
Kid has just proven he's a loser who wants to play for a loser coach. If he went to a P5 i kinda get it...but to memphis? LOL. what a clown. good riddence.

Kid has just proven he's a loser who wants to play for a loser coach. If he went to a P5 i kinda get it...but to memphis? LOL. what a clown. good riddence.
Yeah. Figured he would go back to Texas and play for the Horns or Aggies. I was wrong.

My goal is to make him cry any time he comes to the Reynold's Center and not just about losing to TU
The kid clearly showed his character. One week in the portal and going to Memphis...NCAA clearly doesn't care about anything and PJ just crapped on all the people at TU who brought out the best in him. I wish him THE WORST.

Yep, was sure wrong, but from all I heard he was very happy at TU and being taken care of.

Didn't realize he had a loser mentality and was ONLY about money.

20 years old and likely getting .5M to play next year.

Lots of 20 year olds are only about money when the money gets that high.

I’m guessing $500k is likely low. $700k-$800k range.
I went low intentionally so my statement would be correct + some, instead of too high.

I don't doubt that they paid more than Texas was over rumored to have offered. I doubt Texas offered 700K, that was just what was being put out there. I do think Memphis took the bait hook line & sinker and offered more.

Pat Jones was just talking about Haggerty. He said what Haggerty did and being able to play immediately and the whole situation in college football and basketball is Nutsville.
Even if you don't care for Jones, he's right in my opinion.

Pat Jones was just talking about Haggerty. He said what Haggerty did and being able to play immediately and the whole situation in college football and basketball is Nutsville.
Even if you don't care for Jones, he's right in my opinion.
He's right. Also, there is no question Penny needs to be investigated like Pitino did. This whole situation is a massive crock of crap.

Yeah. Figured he would go back to Texas and play for the Horns or Aggies. I was wrong.
Abmas didn't get anywhere near $500K from TX last year and was 2nd team Big12. They aren't going to pay anyone $500K to come play there. ( In Basketball) Maybe offered $200k to $250K at most. I wouldn't think even that high.

Abmas didn't get anywhere near $500K from TX last year and was 2nd team Big12. They aren't going to pay anyone $500K to come play there. ( In Basketball) Maybe offered $200k to $250K at most. I wouldn't think even that high.
Agreed.

I also hear PJ was not honest and forthcoming to the coaches, donors, etc about the whole situation. He can kick rocks and miss the tournament at another AAC school.

So if I give a couple of thousand dollars to NIL next week in addition to what I donate to the Champions Fund and it helps get another player here with eligibility beyond the 2024, 2025 season, that has a season as good as Haggerty just had.
Then in March, 2025, that same player enters the portal and leaves for another school simply for more NIL money. No thank you, I'm not participating in that BS.
I'll Increase my Champions Fund donation again before I do NIL.
Maybe my thoughts will change in time if there are some rules added to stop the crazy crap that goes on now.
I'm okay with college athletes getting paid, but there need to be some changes made about leaving without any restrictions.

I’ve got pretty good sources that the Garrison kid from OSU has been offered north of $500k by a couple of schools. Since Haggerty is rated above him in the transfer rankings I assumed his offers would be at least similar.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I’ve got pretty good sources that the Garrison kid from OSU has been offered north of $500k by a couple of schools. Since Haggerty is rated above him in the transfer rankings I assumed his offers would be at least similar.
Ok, let's put this to bed and move on.

Who are we looking at now and how can we keep improving this roster?

So if I give a couple of thousand dollars to NIL next week in addition to what I donate to the Champions Fund and it helps get another player here with eligibility beyond the 2024, 2025 season, that has a season as good as Haggerty just had.
Then in March, 2025, that same player enters the portal and leaves for another school simply for more NIL money. No thank you, I'm not participating in that BS.
I'll Increase my Champions Fund donation again before I do NIL.
Maybe my thoughts will change in time if there are some rules added to stop the crazy crap that goes on now.
I'm okay with college athletes getting paid, but there need to be some changes made about leaving without any restrictions.
First, we need to get those kind of players here in the first place. (That takes NIL money.) If we didn't have Haggerty here this year, where would this team have been. It might have been another 5 win season.

Second, Haggerty got us through last year with 16 wins. Now that we have a core team to work with, it will be much easier to at least reach that level, and to hopefully find greater success. Haggerty & Cobe did get us past that hump of inexperience.

Last edited:
First, we need to get those kind of players here in the first place. If we didn't have Haggerty here this year, where would this team have been. It might have been another 5 win season.

Second, Haggerty got us through last year with 16 wins. Now that we have a core team to work with, it will be much easier to at least reach that level, and to hopefully find greater success. Haggerty & Cobe did get us past that hump of inexperience.
Are we thinking anymore of our players or core are going to be entering the portal?

The NIL money Haggerty gets from Memphis will be the most money he will ever make playing basketball.
It's a shame he's choosing to go somewhere where the coaching was subpar and just throws cash at him, that's it. He is just slapping everyone at TU in the face who ever cared about him. It's just gross.

He might have got more from Memphis i don't know. I just know what TX is giving out for basketball and he wouldn't have got near that amount there.

Now Garrison is a quality big which is much harder to find and maybe KU would offer that type of $$.

Are we thinking anymore of our players or core are going to be entering the portal?

We only have 7 left and all but 1 or 2 of them are core. I hope none of the core are leaving, but we aren't out of the hot water yet. I wish we would get another player or two to sign on rather quickly. I hope that happens, such that the one player I'm worried about, feels a little more comfortable sticking around.

He will be a little easier to keep our NIL competitive with on those that might be trying to lure him away. The further away from Haggerty declaring the portal, the better I'll feel. Another 7-10 days without him declaring will make me a little more secure that he won't declare. The last day you can declare is May 1, but I'll be more at ease if he hasn't declared by April 15.

The problem will then be the teams getting desperate during the tail end of being able to declare. More money might be thrown/rumored his way at that point. Those last few days before May 1 (29th-1st) will make me nervous again.

We only have 7 left and all but 1 or 2 of them are core. I hope none of the core are leaving, but we aren't out of the hot water yet. I wish we would get another player or two to sign on rather quickly. I hope that happens, such that the one player I'm worried about, feels a little more comfortable sticking around.

He will be a little easier to keep our NIL competitive with on those that might be trying to lure him away. The further away from Haggerty declaring the portal, the better I'll feel. Another 7-10 days without him declaring will make me a little more secure that he won't declare. The last day you can declare is May 1, but I'll be more at ease if he hasn't declared by April 15.

The problem will then be the teams getting desperate during the tail end of being able to declare. More money might be thrown/rumored his way at that point. Those last few days before May 1 (29th-1st) will make me nervous again.

Haggerty is already gone, unless he changed his mind.
Are you talking about Archie or someone else?

Haggerty is already gone, unless he changed his mind.
Are you talking about Archie or someone else?
Yeah, I was talking bout Archie. I figured Haggerty was gone the moment he entered the portal.

Reactions: TUMU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT