ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

And this is because the NILs and schools haven't started playing the game to give them some leverage in this insanity. Schools in so called lesser conferences need to even the game up somehow and this is the way to do it. The players are certainly signing some sort of NIL contract/agreement, so now it's time to add some teeth to it. Here's the thing, most of these NIL deals are just booster payments directly to the player with no services being provided. You've had a few sign lucrative NIL deals where the player actually had their names/likenesses used in ads for the companies paying them. Caleb Williams and Wendy's, Caitlin Clark and State Farm. That was more the whole point...that and EA being able to bring back their NCAA games, schools being able to market jerseys with actual player numbers on them, players being able to go to card and memorabilia shows and signing things for $$ and appearance fees. Ed O'Bannon started this, Jeremy Bloom quit playing college football because the NCAA said he couldn't take money for being one of the best trick and stunt skiers in history despite the fact that it had no bearing on his status as an amateur football player (do you all remember how freaking fast this kid was?)

The NIL thing went way the opposite direction and combined with the stupidity that is the transfer portal, you've basically got college free agency by the day, not even the year. And as long as the courts are going to treat college athletes like their pro athletes, then it's time for the collectives and schools to treat them as such to with employment agreements/contracts they must sign. Screw LOIs anymore, they haven't meant anything in years. They wanted the freedom to move like coaches do, well then they can sign on for buyout clauses as well. A place like TU should include the cost of the NIL, the cost of training, gear, tuition, etc. plus remaining lost years as part of the buyout. If Texas wants PJ that bad, let them pony up $300k as the buyout.
The players would love to be considered employees of the school and the NCAA. They would then have access to all the TV $$ and everything. There is no way the NCAA will ever do that.

The players would love to be considered employees of the school and the NCAA. They would then have access to all the TV $$ and everything. There is no way the NCAA will ever do that.
They would be employees of the schools themselves. The NCAA is just a governing body commissioned by the schools. They don't have the same role as the NFL in this instance.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I have mixed feelings here. Having a hard time siding with universities who have for decades refused to provide their student athletes with four year scholarships. Instead offering one years ships which are subject to cancellation at the whim of the school. Would like to see something in the middle. If you’re going to tie NIL deals with the universities (they are currently separate) then the universities need to offer guaranteed four year scholarships to all student athletes regardless of NIL status imo. There can be opt out clauses for the university based on being convicted of a crime, etc.
I can agree with this. I think the year to year renewal on a scholarship sucks

Reactions: lawpoke87
I don't think this would change their right to TV $$. They'd be entitled to minimum wage, etc. but they wouldn't have any right to more than that, right? I think it's the other things that would be a problem, especially workers comp.

And this is because the NILs and schools haven't started playing the game to give them some leverage in this insanity. Schools in so called lesser conferences need to even the game up somehow and this is the way to do it. The players are certainly signing some sort of NIL contract/agreement, so now it's time to add some teeth to it. Here's the thing, most of these NIL deals are just booster payments directly to the player with no services being provided. You've had a few sign lucrative NIL deals where the player actually had their names/likenesses used in ads for the companies paying them. Caleb Williams and Wendy's, Caitlin Clark and State Farm. That was more the whole point...that and EA being able to bring back their NCAA games, schools being able to market jerseys with actual player numbers on them, players being able to go to card and memorabilia shows and signing things for $$ and appearance fees. Ed O'Bannon started this, Jeremy Bloom quit playing college football because the NCAA said he couldn't take money for being one of the best trick and stunt skiers in history despite the fact that it had no bearing on his status as an amateur football player (do you all remember how freaking fast this kid was?)

The NIL thing went way the opposite direction and combined with the stupidity that is the transfer portal, you've basically got college free agency by the day, not even the year. And as long as the courts are going to treat college athletes like their pro athletes, then it's time for the collectives and schools to treat them as such to with employment agreements/contracts they must sign. Screw LOIs anymore, they haven't meant anything in years. They wanted the freedom to move like coaches do, well then they can sign on for buyout clauses as well. A place like TU should include the cost of the NIL, the cost of training, gear, tuition, etc. plus remaining lost years as part of the buyout. If Texas wants PJ that bad, let them pony up $300k as the buyout.
There will be 2 types of players - the superstars and everybody else. The superstars will be able to negotiate any terms they want (look at the pro leagues). The everybody else will have to accept crap contracts, especially since many will not have an attorney or quality agent to negotiate for them. So what you're suggesting would be possible for the everybody else but not for the superstars.

Ultimately I imagine we'll get a solution for the same reason as with the traditional pro leagues - the owners can't control themselves and give much too large contracts for the next superstar and they want a salary cap.

Academic conditions too.
It's a weird thing, though. Someone gets paid $500k/year to play basketball, why should they also have to go to school? What other job requires you to go to school and maintain grades in order to get paid? These universities pay millions to their endowment managers, do those managers also have to maintain grades? Kind of like a little charade to maintain the illusion of student athletes when that's not really true anymore, at least at the top.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Academic conditions too.
For several months I have thought about the academic component to what is happening now in D1 sports. I realize you are discussing making a multi-year scholarship contingent on maintaining academic standards and I agree that is great step.

University Presidents and faculty love to talk about academic integrity as a key pillar of the institution. In the last 20-30 years for many athletes this piece has gone out the window. Are athletes really getting an education or is it just a facade to maintain minimal eligibility while they can compete? Recent changes such as NIL and unlimited transfers have worsened the problem. Presidents needed to stand up to conference administrators and TV executives. There is no way the student academic benefit is served by players transferring multiple times and chasing NIL dollars or conferences being flung across the nation requiring players to be out school more frequently in the name of conference revenue to be divided among member schools. Coaches are starting to become concerned about the transfer portal impact on their ability to be successful, although self serving, it is a potential support group that can lead to change. When will the university Presidents and Boards finally step up and challenge how the system that has evolved is really anywhere close to a university ultimate mission of educating students for lifetime success.

Rant over.

I don't think this would change their right to TV $$. They'd be entitled to minimum wage, etc. but they wouldn't have any right to more than that, right? I think it's the other things that would be a problem, especially workers comp.
I think it would open up a lot of the revenue that the NCAA keeps for themselves right now. Maybe not stated but i think it would end up in court for numerous things. That is the one place the NCAA doesn't want to be but yes the starting point is minimum wage for each athlete and overtime would apply. The additional cost would be overwhelming for most schools.

The NIL doesn't affect the school or the NCAA right now. All comes out of boosters pockets whether a little or a lot. Coaches and ADs are having to ask for quite a bit more from those guys each year.

I'll give you an example. Texas goal for just the football team is $10 to $15 million per year. They struggle to get to that figure as the older donors who have been the big spenders in years past do not like the NIL at all.

Kids are making outrageous demands as some football players are asking for $1 million for just one season. Upfront. Some of them are getting it.

Basketball not near as much. I believe Max Abmas got around $75K for the one season at TX. Maybe a car to drive as well.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
I think it would open up a lot of the revenue that the NCAA keeps for themselves right now. Maybe not stated but i think it would end up in court for numerous things. That is the one place the NCAA doesn't want to be but yes the starting point is minimum wage for each athlete and overtime would apply. The additional cost would be overwhelming for most schools.

The NIL doesn't affect the school or the NCAA right now. All comes out of boosters pockets whether a little or a lot. Coaches and ADs are having to ask for quite a bit more from those guys each year.

I'll give you an example. Texas goal for just the football team is $10 to $15 million per year. They struggle to get to that figure as the older donors who have been the big spenders in years past do not like the NIL at all.

Kids are making outrageous demands as some football players are asking for $1 million for just one season. Upfront. Some of them are getting it.

Basketball not near as much. I believe Max Abmas got around $75K for the one season at TX. Maybe a car to drive as well.
yeah, totally agree. I'm not sure it's as much legal right to the TV $$ as it is, we earn it and we're employees, why shouldn't we get part of it? Now the schools say "our hands are tied, what can we do" but if they were employees, that excuse would be gone.

For several months I have thought about the academic component to what is happening now in D1 sports. I realize you are discussing making a multi-year scholarship contingent on maintaining academic standards and I agree that is great step.

University Presidents and faculty love to talk about academic integrity as a key pillar of the institution. In the last 20-30 years for many athletes this piece has gone out the window. Are athletes really getting an education or is it just a facade to maintain minimal eligibility while they can compete? Recent changes such as NIL and unlimited transfers have worsened the problem. Presidents needed to stand up to conference administrators and TV executives. There is no way the student academic benefit is served by players transferring multiple times and chasing NIL dollars or conferences being flung across the nation requiring players to be out school more frequently in the name of conference revenue to be divided among member schools. Coaches are starting to become concerned about the transfer portal impact on their ability to be successful, although self serving, it is a potential support group that can lead to change. When will the university Presidents and Boards finally step up and challenge how the system that has evolved is really anywhere close to a university ultimate mission of educating students for lifetime success.

Rant over.
Honestly I feel like the "student" part of "student athlete" is just marketing at this point, at least at the top levels. It's like having the stripper dress up as a French maid. It's better when the act plays to a fantasy.

Honestly I feel like the "student" part of "student athlete" is just marketing at this point, at least at the top levels. It's like having the stripper dress up as a French maid. It's better when the act plays to a fantasy.
At least you have given me something to fantasize, I mean, think about.
Sincerely
Barrister

Reactions: chito_and_leon
The Univ of Texas has an annual athletic budget of $187M. The budget for football is $41.8M, however the program creates $146.8 million in football revenue.

Reactions: HuffyCane
The Univ of Texas has an annual athletic budget of $187M. The budget for football is $41.8M, however the program creates $146.8 million in football revenue.
Yep and none of it goes to the NIL program. Which makes no sense whatsoever to me. Instead they are having to ask guys that have already contributed to facilities to dig a little deeper.

Texas has around 570,000 alumni, so coming up with an extra $40M plus NIL money is not a big stretch for them.

If you’re talking NIL and scholarships I think it should be either or. Y’all are talking about paying these guys hundreds of thousands of dollars and not wanting to have academic standards, why provide a scholarship at all?

Reactions: loca2874
Just model college sports after minor league baseball. Take the top 24 teams and make a AAA League, Next let them draft from the other D1 schools that would make up their AA league, the A League would be D2 schools, and follow the pattern downward. At the end of every season you can send players up and down in your farm system or with their consent trade them to other schools outside your system. If a player wants to enter the free market and go to another school that school would either have to give up some players or pay the school for the player. The players value could be from $20K to $4M or whatever!

Just model college sports after minor league baseball. Take the top 24 teams and make a AAA League, Next let them draft from the other D1 schools that would make up their AA league, the A League would be D2 schools, and follow the pattern downward. At the end of every season you can send players up and down in your farm system or with their consent trade them to other schools outside your system. If a player wants to enter the free market and go to another school that school would either have to give up some players or pay the school for the player. The players value could be from $20K to $4M or whatever!
If they are going to do that them why have college sports. Just make a minor league and take it away from the schools. This whole idea of paying players to go to the school to play ball is absolutely absurd. If they want to go make money playing ball then they need to be allowed to do that outside of the schools

Currently the have-not schools spend a lot of time recruiting and developing a player only to have that player at year's end give the school the one-gun salute and the brown helmet, so they can move on to greener pastures for more $$$$.

Reactions: eastcane
If they are going to do that them why have college sports. Just make a minor league and take it away from the schools. This whole idea of paying players to go to the school to play ball is absolutely absurd. If they want to go make money playing ball then they need to be allowed to do that outside of the schools
It's like the USFL (I think) the teams had city names like the Houston Gamblers but all teams and games were based in Birmingham so the teams weren't based in their cities at all.

It's like the USFL (I think) the teams had city names like the Houston Gamblers but all teams and games were based in Birmingham so the teams weren't based in their cities at all.
Shouldn't the cities get NIL payments!

Lutz and Enfield finally hired. April 1 made it less expensive to pay off former coaches.

Isn't this kind of like soccer works? I'm always seeing one team buying a player's contract from another team. Where are our soccer fans to explain how this works?

It’s sucks but this is just the natural result of schools and coaches treating the game like it’s a professional sport and expecting players to accept all of the risk inherent in that(recruited over, cut at the whim of the coach, coach leaving for more money, etc) while reaping few of the benefits. There is nothing going on right now that is incongruent with how schools have treated student athletes for decades

Isn't this kind of like soccer works? I'm always seeing one team buying a player's contract from another team. Where are our soccer fans to explain how this works?
So FIFA, the world's governing body for soccer, has 3 transfer windows during the year. Teams from around the globe can speak with player's agents and offer them a new contract BUT they also have to negotiate with the team that currently holds that player's contract for a transfer fee. Some of those transfer fees can be 100M Euros or more. I think Pulisic was bought by Chelsea from Dortmund for $50M or so. Most of the MLS guys are going for $10M or so, some higher, some lower depending on how bad teams want them. And like many sides, the teams try to hold out for the best offer. Take for instance Kylian Mbappe who plays at PSG in France. He has long wanted to play for Real Madrid in Spain sort of like the Yankees of world wide club soccer. He's been trying to transfer for 2 yrs now and PSG wants some ungodly transfer fee ($500M) which Real refused. So now, Mbappe's contract runs out at the end of the current Ligue Un season and he will join Real over the summer on a "free" transfer and negotiate a new player contract with them. Now transfers can be triggered automatically by the player by terms in their contract, play so many years on the current contract and the offering club meets a pre-determined transfer fee (like buyout fees for coaching contracts that decrease over time). And some clubs won't put those triggered transfer clauses in contracts. The Saudi league has been trying to trigger Mo Salah's transfer from Liverpool for obvious reasons. They want a super high profile world super star who is a Muslim playing in their league. Salah and Liverpool have rebuffed the advances so far and I'm not sure Salah actually wants to leave (different story for a different thread). So some teams cans make tons of $ from developing players and selling them in transfers. Dortmund in Germany has been exceptionally good at this. They've sold some of the big stars in the game for a crap ton of $ over the years. Pulisic, Jude Bellingham, Erling Haaland and many many others.

It works for smaller clubs because it gives them some cash flow. It's better than MLB trades because usually the selling team only gets some prospects which may or may not work out and not any more $ (significant enough to buy a new player that can help).

So FIFA, the world's governing body for soccer, has 3 transfer windows during the year. Teams from around the globe can speak with player's agents and offer them a new contract BUT they also have to negotiate with the team that currently holds that player's contract for a transfer fee. Some of those transfer fees can be 100M Euros or more. I think Pulisic was bought by Chelsea from Dortmund for $50M or so. Most of the MLS guys are going for $10M or so, some higher, some lower depending on how bad teams want them. And like many sides, the teams try to hold out for the best offer. Take for instance Kylian Mbappe who plays at PSG in France. He has long wanted to play for Real Madrid in Spain sort of like the Yankees of world wide club soccer. He's been trying to transfer for 2 yrs now and PSG wants some ungodly transfer fee ($500M) which Real refused. So now, Mbappe's contract runs out at the end of the current Ligue Un season and he will join Real over the summer on a "free" transfer and negotiate a new player contract with them. Now transfers can be triggered automatically by the player by terms in their contract, play so many years on the current contract and the offering club meets a pre-determined transfer fee (like buyout fees for coaching contracts that decrease over time). And some clubs won't put those triggered transfer clauses in contracts. The Saudi league has been trying to trigger Mo Salah's transfer from Liverpool for obvious reasons. They want a super high profile world super star who is a Muslim playing in their league. Salah and Liverpool have rebuffed the advances so far and I'm not sure Salah actually wants to leave (different story for a different thread). So some teams cans make tons of $ from developing players and selling them in transfers. Dortmund in Germany has been exceptionally good at this. They've sold some of the big stars in the game for a crap ton of $ over the years. Pulisic, Jude Bellingham, Erling Haaland and many many others.

It works for smaller clubs because it gives them some cash flow. It's better than MLB trades because usually the selling team only gets some prospects which may or may not work out and not any more $ (significant enough to buy a new player that can help).
Nothing like college sports.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Also, in the European football (soccer) league the bottom 2 teams from the top division move down and the top 2 teams from the next division move up every year. Maybe if you had the top 24 teams instead of the bottom 2 teams you made it the bottom 12 down and in the next lower division the top 12 teams move. it would sure make things a lot more interesting.

Reactions: drboobay
I’m not a big $ donor or anything, but if I was, I would chafe at the idea of contributing to NIL programs as they currently exist(on top of contributions to the actual athletic department).

I imagine most big donors either love the school or love the idea of investing in the next generation through athletics. At this point, paying NIL money feels more like a bribe or a mercenary fee.

I’m not a big $ donor or anything, but if I was, I would chafe at the idea of contributing to NIL programs as they currently exist(on top of contributions to the actual athletic department).

I imagine most big donors either love the school or love the idea of investing in the next generation through athletics. At this point, paying NIL money feels more like a bribe or a mercenary fee.

I donate a decent amount to Champions Fund or whatever they have named it.
In the last few days I rejoined for the upcoming new year beginning in July. I increased my donation by 10%.
I have thought about doing some NIL money, but I just haven't been able to do it. NIL seems a little dirty to me. So I increased my donation to Champions Fund.
To each their own, not here to critcize anyone.
Go TU!

Individuals giving money to an NIL fund is such an odd concept given the definition of NIL. While I might give money to a TU athlete to appear on a flyer or make an appearance for my company I will never randomly give money to a third party fund to pay athletes to play at a school. Suppose we all have our lines to draw and this is mine.

That's because you're a reasonable, decent person. Let's just say that not everybody involved in college athletics has your moral compass.....

SHAME ON YOU, SMU Reacting to repeat offender SMU's latest transgressions, the NCAA has hit the recalcitrant Mustangs with a sentence that includes a one-year suspension of its football program

Reactions: drboobay
But you complain about the team we have on the floor, like the one thing has nothing to do with the other. Talk about canning the coach because of performance on the floor becomes a bit hypocritical.

I see several donors on here that are still hesitant in contributing to NIL. This is now the ONLY way our basketball team will continue to exist at least how you wish it to exist. Other schools who have plenty of NIL donors will be taking those top 4 spots in the league for a long time if we don’t attempt to compete with them. I contribute to the Champions fund too, but it does nothing to help retain our best players.

Reactions: URedskin54
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT