ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

You would think that something like that would already be being used.
Maybe, IDK. That said, I'm sure we could do it better :) Always the optimist!

I did some advising for a company maybe 18 months ago that was going to create an NIL marketplace with standard form agreements for athletes since the vast majority at the time didn't get enough to hire a lawyer or advisor and got shafted on the legal side. Not sure if it went anywhere (I was conflicted out so had to hand them off) or something like it.

It's going to get really interesting when players start entering the portal over Christmas break just for the opportunity to play for a national championship.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Seems like we need a financial analyst on the recruiting staff. "Ok, here's your expected income if you stay 1 year or 2 years, plus value of degree...".

This would be a really interesting website to make. Kids come in, enter their basic info and amount of NIL and then the website would aggregate and say "if you're a sophomore who plays basketball in a 3rd tier conference and averaged X ppg and Y rpg, you can expect $____ in NIL money if you leave, or $____ if you stay and average _____." Anyone want to build it together?
I actually like the annuity thing Arkansas offered Nolan. He got many millions bonus if he stayed the entire 4-5 years.

Can we all agree on a couple things?

A) Mr. ffking is an abhorrent poster

And

B) the days of taking 3 years to “build a program from the ground up” are probably over. You can’t retain your building blocks. Every season becomes a “win now”

And

B) the days of taking 3 years to “build a program from the ground up” are probably over. You can’t retain your building blocks. Every season becomes a “win now”
I agree with both statements!

One thing to remember is we are in a very similar boat to all our conference mates. We don’t have to compete with Kansas or Texas in our conference. While we all agree the current landscape sucks it does suck for most AAC schools. They will all lose most of the elite players they sign and develop. Winning conference championships is still a reality for TU. That hasn’t changed.

Reactions: chito_and_leon

And

Pot kettle for A

For B, it’s definitely looking that way unfortunately… basically the season will be over before it starts for a lot of institutions who can’t keep up with all of this. If a coach isn’t able to build his roster to compete (by fault of his own or not), what’s the point of even trying? One year isn’t enough time to develop anyone meaningfully. Then if they have a spark, they’re as good as gone to the highest bidder. Seems pretty bleak.

One thing to remember is we are in a very similar boat to all our conference mates. We don’t have to compete with Kansas or Texas in our conference. While we all agree the current landscape sucks it does suck for most AAC schools. They will all lose most of the elite players they sign and develop. Winning conference championships is still a reality for TU. That hasn’t changed.
I will semi agree with you. There are a few exceptions to the rule. One of them doesn't matter, but the other two or three does matter and/or could matter. I think they could be the teams that are always near the top of the heap, and the ones that everyone struggles to beat each year.

The one that doesn't matter is Memphis. Mr Farthing Hardaway doesn't want to keep his recruits because they always underperform due to bad attitudes and bad coaching. If he did, I don't think that many would leave because I believe they have the NIL money to keep most of them around if they ever wanted to.

The other three programs are UAB, FAU,(Maybe, dependent on the coaching performance, now that they have lost their coach.) and USF. Those programs seem to have enough NIL money that they compete on a more even level with power conferences for keeping their players.

I will semi agree with you. There are a few exceptions to the rule. One of them doesn't matter, but the other two or three does matter and/or could matter. I think they could be the teams that are always near the top of the heap, and the ones that everyone struggles to beat each year.

The one that doesn't matter is Memphis. Mr Farthing Hardaway doesn't want to keep his recruits because they always underperform due to bad attitudes and bad coaching. If he did, I don't think that many would leave because I believe they have the NIL money to keep most of them around if they ever wanted to.

The other three programs are UAB, FAU,(Maybe, dependent on the coaching performance, now that they have lost their coach.) and USF. Those programs seem to have enough NIL money that they compete on a more even level with power conferences for keeping their players.
I look for FAU to fall off the face of the earth in basketball. Historically they have been an awful basketball program. Their facilities are below average. They struck gold with a coach. Don’t see a repeat.

I look for FAU to fall off the face of the earth in basketball. Historically they have been an awful basketball program. Their facilities are below average. They struck gold with a coach. Don’t see a repeat.
I'm not so ready to write them off the books. They achieved two things that made them gold, and if they find a decent coach,(not a great coach) the one thing could, (emphasize could) keep them relevant. The two things were Dusty May, and NIL money. The NIL money probably isn't going anywhere, and a decent coach who is a good promoter, could possibly keep the program alive, with that amount of NIL money behind him. Being a good promoter of the program is as important, or more important than the coaching ability.

He has to be a better coach than Farthing Hardaway, but that isn't hard to achieve. You know they will up their game as far as how much they will pay the new coach, in order not to lose the opportunity to maintain this newly established program level. I'm nearly certain that the raises they gave Dusty May were significantly above the highest level of salaries that they have ever paid a coach. They will probably give a very significant chunk of that money to whomever they select as a coach, in order to attract a higher level of candidates. I am confident that their new coach hire will be significantly higher than what they paid Dusty May for his starting salary when they first hired him.

UAB and Memphis have the money. Memphis always has had huge donors who love basketball, especially since Calipari. UAB has come up suddenly with huge money from somewhere and no one gets their players. USF with a season like they had may be on the verge of the same thing but those are the programs we have to compete with if we ever get a NCAA bid again.

UAB and Memphis have the money. Memphis always has had huge donors who love basketball, especially since Calipari. UAB has come up suddenly with huge money from somewhere and no one gets their players. USF with a season like they had may be on the verge of the same thing but those are the programs we have to compete with if we ever get a NCAA bid again.
Wichita has a couple $$ as well.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW and I.I.
It CAN be done and Tulsa DOES have some folks who could make this happen. BUT they have to want to do it and support it for more than one big push, one time.

That may be a tough sell depending on individual donor feelings on NIL/pay for play, etc.

TU was late the game with all of this, but I know we are working behind the scenes to catch up. I think this PJ thing opened some eyes that may have been shut before.

UAB has a med school that produces a lot of doctors....

Reactions: TU_BLA
It CAN be done and Tulsa DOES have some folks who could make this happen. BUT they have to want to do it and support it for more than one big push, one time.

That may be a tough sell depending on individual donor feelings on NIL/pay for play, etc.

TU was late the game with all of this, but I know we are working behind the scenes to catch up. I think this PJ thing opened some eyes that may have been shut before.
Bottom line you need rich people who have college sports watching as a hobby and who feel their money will make a difference in their hobby, IMO.

Wichita has a couple $$ as well.
I forgot about them. So we have four to five(if Memphis ever gets a guy that can coach his way out of a paper bag) competitors with money, that will consistently pay significant amounts of NIL.

Bottom line you need rich people who have college sports watching as a hobby and who feel their money will make a difference in their hobby, IMO.
Correct. Or at least someone who can convince those folks the impact of their money.

Pot kettle for A

For B, it’s definitely looking that way unfortunately… basically the season will be over before it starts for a lot of institutions who can’t keep up with all of this. If a coach isn’t able to build his roster to compete (by fault of his own or not), what’s the point of even trying? One year isn’t enough time to develop anyone meaningfully. Then if they have a spark, they’re as good as gone to the highest bidder. Seems pretty bleak.
I suppose the argument is, if you leave now, you'll go to Rutgers and make $100k. If you stay another year and develop, you'll go to Indiana and make $250k, so you're better off staying. Like kids deciding whether to enter the draft. Tho I guess they could go to Rutgers and then go to Indiana...

I suppose the argument is, if you leave now, you'll go to Rutgers and make $100k. If you stay another year and develop, you'll go to Indiana and make $250k, so you're better off staying. Like kids deciding whether to enter the draft. Tho I guess they could go to Rutgers and then go to Indiana...
Regardless of all that, whether the players are gone after 1 or 2 years, they are not here for their best years. Bleak.

NameYearPositionTeam LeavingTeam going to
Igor Milicic Jr.JuniorSFCharlotte
Dishon JacksonSophomoreCenterCharlotteIowa State
Jackson ThreadgillJuniorSGCharlotte
Daylen BerrySophomoreSGCharlotte
Iaroslav NiaguSophomoreCenterCharlotte
Sterling YoungJuniorPGCharlotte
Benjamin BayelaSeniorSGEast Carolina
Ta'Korrie FaisonFreshmanSFEast Carolina
Jaden WalkerJuniorSGEast Carolina
Bobby PettifordJuniorPGEast Carolina
Kalib LacountSophomorePGEast Carolina
Brandon JohnsonJuniorPFEast Carolina
Javonte TaylorFreshmanSFMemphis
Jayhlon YoungJuniorPGMemphis
Mikey WilliamsFreshmanPGMemphisUCF
Jonathan PierreJuniorSGMemphis
Jason EdwardsSophomorePGNorth Texas
Christian MooreSophomorePGNorth Texas
Chris MorganSophomorePFNorth Texas
Cameron SheffieldJuniorSFRice
Keanu DawesFreshmanPFRice
Mekhi MasonSophomoreSGRice
Alem HuseinovicJuniorSGRice
Anthony SeldonJuniorSGRice
Andrew AkuchieSophomorePFRice
Camp WagnerFreshmanSGRice
Gabe WarrenFreshmanSGRice
Sam HinesJuniorSFSouth Florida
Gerald JonesSophomoreCenterSouth Florida
Taj ThweattJuniorSFTemple
Deuce RobertsFreshmanSGTemple
Emmanuel OkpomoJuniorCenterTemple
Max BowmanSophomorePGTulane
Kolby KingSophomorePGTulane
Mier PanoamFreshmanPGTulane
Chauncey GibsonFreshmanSGTulsa
Jared HallFreshmanSFTulsa
PJ HaggertyFreshmanPGTulsa
Carlous WilliamsJuniorSFTulsa
Barry DunningSophomoreSGUAB
Daniel OrtizJuniorPGUAB
James WhiteJuniorSGUAB
Christian TuckerJuniorPGUTSA
Jordan Ivy-CurryJuniorPGUTSA
Trey Edmonds IIIJuniorCenterUTSA
Chandler CuthrellJuniorPFUTSA
Massal DioufSophomorePFUTSA
Adante HolimanSophomorePGUTSA
Isaac AbiddeSophomorePFWichita State
Jalen RicksSophomoreSGWichita State
Kenny PohtoJuniorCenterWichita State
Colby RogersJuniorSGWichita State
Trevor McBrideFreshmanPGWichita State
Oklahoma Schools​
John HugleyJuniorPFOklahoma
Otega OwehSophomoreSGOklahoma
Brandon GarrisonFreshmanCenterOklahoma State
Eric DaileyFreshmanSFOklahoma State
Naz BrownSophomorePGOklahoma State
Javon SmallJuniorPGOklahoma State
Cam AmboreeSophomorePGORU
Jailen BedfordJuniorSGORU
Trey PhippsJuniorPGORU
Demari WilliamsSophomoreSGORU
Isaac McBrideJuniorPGORU
Elijah LawrenceSophomorePGORU
Jake ShannonJuniorSGORU
Ashton SmithSophomorePFORU

NameYearPositionTeam LeavingTeam going to
Igor Milicic Jr.JuniorSFCharlotte
Dishon JacksonSophomoreCenterCharlotteIowa State
Jackson ThreadgillJuniorSGCharlotte
Daylen BerrySophomoreSGCharlotte
Iaroslav NiaguSophomoreCenterCharlotte
Sterling YoungJuniorPGCharlotte
Benjamin BayelaSeniorSGEast Carolina
Ta'Korrie FaisonFreshmanSFEast Carolina
Jaden WalkerJuniorSGEast Carolina
Bobby PettifordJuniorPGEast Carolina
Kalib LacountSophomorePGEast Carolina
Brandon JohnsonJuniorPFEast Carolina
Javonte TaylorFreshmanSFMemphis
Jayhlon YoungJuniorPGMemphis
Mikey WilliamsFreshmanPGMemphisUCF
Jonathan PierreJuniorSGMemphis
Jason EdwardsSophomorePGNorth Texas
Christian MooreSophomorePGNorth Texas
Chris MorganSophomorePFNorth Texas
Cameron SheffieldJuniorSFRice
Keanu DawesFreshmanPFRice
Mekhi MasonSophomoreSGRice
Alem HuseinovicJuniorSGRice
Anthony SeldonJuniorSGRice
Andrew AkuchieSophomorePFRice
Camp WagnerFreshmanSGRice
Gabe WarrenFreshmanSGRice
Sam HinesJuniorSFSouth Florida
Gerald JonesSophomoreCenterSouth Florida
Taj ThweattJuniorSFTemple
Deuce RobertsFreshmanSGTemple
Emmanuel OkpomoJuniorCenterTemple
Max BowmanSophomorePGTulane
Kolby KingSophomorePGTulane
Mier PanoamFreshmanPGTulane
Chauncey GibsonFreshmanSGTulsa
Jared HallFreshmanSFTulsa
PJ HaggertyFreshmanPGTulsa
Carlous WilliamsJuniorSFTulsa
Barry DunningSophomoreSGUAB
Daniel OrtizJuniorPGUAB
James WhiteJuniorSGUAB
Christian TuckerJuniorPGUTSA
Jordan Ivy-CurryJuniorPGUTSA
Trey Edmonds IIIJuniorCenterUTSA
Chandler CuthrellJuniorPFUTSA
Massal DioufSophomorePFUTSA
Adante HolimanSophomorePGUTSA
Isaac AbiddeSophomorePFWichita State
Jalen RicksSophomoreSGWichita State
Kenny PohtoJuniorCenterWichita State
Colby RogersJuniorSGWichita State
Trevor McBrideFreshmanPGWichita State
Oklahoma Schools​
John HugleyJuniorPFOklahoma
Otega OwehSophomoreSGOklahoma
Brandon GarrisonFreshmanCenterOklahoma State
Eric DaileyFreshmanSFOklahoma State
Naz BrownSophomorePGOklahoma State
Javon SmallJuniorPGOklahoma State
Cam AmboreeSophomorePGORU
Jailen BedfordJuniorSGORU
Trey PhippsJuniorPGORU
Demari WilliamsSophomoreSGORU
Isaac McBrideJuniorPGORU
Elijah LawrenceSophomorePGORU
Jake ShannonJuniorSGORU
Ashton SmithSophomorePFORU
Why the bolding?

Unless something has changed, this is the latest I was aware of: players can transfer more than once without sitting.

https://apnews.com/article/ncaa-transfer-portal-22ef447ad67826138724cec3cd6ab581
The NCAA changed its rule and will allow an athlete to transfer for a second time without penalty through the 2023-2024 season.

“Given the unprecedented decision by the courts earlier this week, the NCAA has reached an agreement with the States to convert the temporary restraining order into a preliminary injunction through the remainder of the 2023-24 NCAA championship season, as this is the best outcome for multiple-time transfer student-athletes wishing to compete immediately,” the NCAA said in a statement. “This action provides clarity for student-athletes and member schools for the remainder of the academic year — any multiple-time transfer student-athlete who competes this season will be subject to the same eligibility and use of a season of competition rules as all other student-athletes

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Right now there's an injunction enforcing the 1 transfer rule.
The injunction is not enforcing the 1 transfer rule, it is continuing to put it on hold, until a trial or amendment to the bylaws.

The injunction is not enforcing the 1 transfer rule, it is continuing to put it on hold, until a trial or amendment to the bylaws.
That's what I meant. There was an injunction in place therefore not allowing the NCAA to enforce it. I believe the argument is that it unfairly limits a player's free enterprise and the rule is a violation of antitrust. And with that...schools could end a lot of the chaos by classifying student athletes as employees and then having them sign multiyear contracts. I certainly think the NIL collectives could require a signed contract and make it for multiple years with some harsh conditions to buy it out. I mean if the Texas collective wants to pay PJ Haggerty more than us, then let them also buy out his NIL agreement with TU so at least we can replenish that $$$ and give it to other players.

That's what I meant. There was an injunction in place therefore not allowing the NCAA to enforce it. I believe the argument is that it unfairly limits a player's free enterprise and the rule is a violation of antitrust. And with that...schools could end a lot of the chaos by classifying student athletes as employees and then having them sign multiyear contracts. I certainly think the NIL collectives could require a signed contract and make it for multiple years with some harsh conditions to buy it out. I mean if the Texas collective wants to pay PJ Haggerty more than us, then let them also buy out his NIL agreement with TU so at least we can replenish that $$$ and give it to other players.
Surely these players aren’t being paid for say 2-3 years of NIL with all those payments up front ?

Surely these players aren’t being paid for say 2-3 years of NIL with all those payments up front ?
No sir. Year to Year. Most of them are getting some $$ upfront and then scheduled monthly. Depending on the player and sport.

No sir. Year to Year. Most of them are getting some $$ upfront and then scheduled monthly. Depending on the player and sport.
And this is because the NILs and schools haven't started playing the game to give them some leverage in this insanity. Schools in so called lesser conferences need to even the game up somehow and this is the way to do it. The players are certainly signing some sort of NIL contract/agreement, so now it's time to add some teeth to it. Here's the thing, most of these NIL deals are just booster payments directly to the player with no services being provided. You've had a few sign lucrative NIL deals where the player actually had their names/likenesses used in ads for the companies paying them. Caleb Williams and Wendy's, Caitlin Clark and State Farm. That was more the whole point...that and EA being able to bring back their NCAA games, schools being able to market jerseys with actual player numbers on them, players being able to go to card and memorabilia shows and signing things for $$ and appearance fees. Ed O'Bannon started this, Jeremy Bloom quit playing college football because the NCAA said he couldn't take money for being one of the best trick and stunt skiers in history despite the fact that it had no bearing on his status as an amateur football player (do you all remember how freaking fast this kid was?)

The NIL thing went way the opposite direction and combined with the stupidity that is the transfer portal, you've basically got college free agency by the day, not even the year. And as long as the courts are going to treat college athletes like their pro athletes, then it's time for the collectives and schools to treat them as such to with employment agreements/contracts they must sign. Screw LOIs anymore, they haven't meant anything in years. They wanted the freedom to move like coaches do, well then they can sign on for buyout clauses as well. A place like TU should include the cost of the NIL, the cost of training, gear, tuition, etc. plus remaining lost years as part of the buyout. If Texas wants PJ that bad, let them pony up $300k as the buyout.

Reactions: drboobay
And this is because the NILs and schools haven't started playing the game to give them some leverage in this insanity. Schools in so called lesser conferences need to even the game up somehow and this is the way to do it. The players are certainly signing some sort of NIL contract/agreement, so now it's time to add some teeth to it. Here's the thing, most of these NIL deals are just booster payments directly to the player with no services being provided. You've had a few sign lucrative NIL deals where the player actually had their names/likenesses used in ads for the companies paying them. Caleb Williams and Wendy's, Caitlin Clark and State Farm. That was more the whole point...that and EA being able to bring back their NCAA games, schools being able to market jerseys with actual player numbers on them, players being able to go to card and memorabilia shows and signing things for $$ and appearance fees. Ed O'Bannon started this, Jeremy Bloom quit playing college football because the NCAA said he couldn't take money for being one of the best trick and stunt skiers in history despite the fact that it had no bearing on his status as an amateur football player (do you all remember how freaking fast this kid was?)

The NIL thing went way the opposite direction and combined with the stupidity that is the transfer portal, you've basically got college free agency by the day, not even the year. And as long as the courts are going to treat college athletes like their pro athletes, then it's time for the collectives and schools to treat them as such to with employment agreements/contracts they must sign. Screw LOIs anymore, they haven't meant anything in years. They wanted the freedom to move like coaches do, well then they can sign on for buyout clauses as well. A place like TU should include the cost of the NIL, the cost of training, gear, tuition, etc. plus remaining lost years as part of the buyout. If Texas wants PJ that bad, let them pony up $300k as the buyout.
I have mixed feelings here. Having a hard time siding with universities who have for decades refused to provide their student athletes with four year scholarships. Instead offering one years ships which are subject to cancellation at the whim of the school. Would like to see something in the middle. If you’re going to tie NIL deals with the universities (they are currently separate) then the universities need to offer guaranteed four year scholarships to all student athletes regardless of NIL status imo. There can be opt out clauses for the university based on being convicted of a crime, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT