ADVERTISEMENT

Wyoming

tupatsfan

I.T.S. Junior
Dec 12, 2016
looks like TU -5 from what I see, but if someone sees something different please share.

My gut says we win by 10 but it will be interesting to see how we handle the triple option. Navy murdered us with it last year

My bad. Just was an assumption based on the passing stats. Those are some yikes stats for your QB

Wyoming doesn’t use the triple option
UNM is the MWC team that runs the funky triple option. Air Force, not sure what they run anymore but it's still more traditional.

And our D (especially DL) is much more capable of controlling the LOS this year. Our 6' NT absolutely power trucked the OSU center on more than 1 occasion last Saturday and caused Hubbard to have to stop and reroute on more than one occasion. Wyoming hasn't faced a defense as good as ours and likely won't (including Boise St) all season.

Wyoming has been very lucky in the turnover battle. It's basically what allowed them to beat Mizzou. They bend but don't break on defense and force fumbles, and they pin a lot on their run game. Their QB is a mobile threat, which we've obviously had problems with. We will need to play good assignment run defense much like we would with a triple option (even though it's really just a power run offense)

Reactions: tupatsfan
UNM is the MWC team that runs the funky triple option. Air Force, not sure what they run anymore but it's still more traditional.

And our D (especially DL) is much more capable of controlling the LOS this year. Our 6' NT absolutely power trucked the OSU center on more than 1 occasion last Saturday and caused Hubbard to have to stop and reroute on more than one occasion. Wyoming hasn't faced a defense as good as ours and likely won't (including Boise St) all season.

Seriously? You think that highly of your Defense? WOW, Wyoming might as well not show up! LMFAO!!!

Reactions: Rapostman
Seriously? You think that highly of your Defense? WOW, Wyoming might as well not show up! LMFAO!!!

You barely beat Idaho at home and struggled with Texas state on the road. Mizzou completelt self destructed against you guys in ways I haven’t seen in a while, so get off your high horse. I just hope your QB learns to throw soon or it will be a long day for you guys.

You barely beat Idaho at home and struggled with Texas state on the road. Mizzou completelt self destructed against you guys in ways I haven’t seen in a while, so get off your high horse. I just hope your QB learns to throw soon or it will be a long day for you guys.

Struggled with Texas State? They scored 14 points in the first quarter and that was it! A road win is a road win no matter how you slice it. You have beat San Jose State, not like they are world beaters! To claim Tulsa will be the best defense Wyoming will see all season is laughable...…….you wouldn't finish in the top 3 of the MWC Mountain Division! I hope your D can stop the Run or it will be a long day for you guys!

Struggled with Texas State? They scored 14 points in the first quarter and that was it! A road win is a road win no matter how you slice it. You have beat San Jose State, not like they are world beaters! To claim Tulsa will be the best defense Wyoming will see all season is laughable...…….you wouldn't finish in the top 3 of the MWC Mountain Division! I hope your D can stop the Run or it will be a long day for you guys!

Did you not struggle with Idaho at home either?

4/8 passing for 50 yards all game.

ALL

GAME.

Did you not struggle with Idaho at home either?

4/8 passing for 50 yards all game.

ALL

GAME.

And whats your point? Wyoming didn't lose, and a WIN is win no matter what the score is! Don't worry Wyoming will show up and play Saturday, i hope your team thinks so highly of themselves as some of you fans!

And whats your point? Wyoming didn't lose, and a WIN is win no matter what the score is! Don't worry Wyoming will show up and play Saturday, i hope your team thinks so highly of themselves as some of you fans!

Ok. Talk to you Saturday evening! ‍♂️

So, I'd say most Tulsa fans aren't really sure about this game, including me. Nothing I've seen so far from our HC gives me confidence. That being said, you're posting in Tulsa message board, so I'm not sure why you think we'd be in here talking up how great Wyoming is and how we're going to get destroyed bc we're just little 'ole Tulsa... I mean, what did you expect?

So, I'd say most Tulsa fans aren't really sure about this game, including me. Nothing I've seen so far from our HC gives me confidence. That being said, you're posting in Tulsa message board, so I'm not sure why you think we'd be in here talking up how great Wyoming is and how we're going to get destroyed bc we're just little 'ole Tulsa... I mean, what did you expect?

I’m just saying this is a team that can’t pass the ball for crap and they’re not an option team. Did you watch the mizzou game? Mizzou totally self destructed. Mizzou threw for almost 500 yards I believe. Was a total fluke deal, evidenced by the low scores and margins of their last two games against really bad teams. Wouldn’t shock me if we rolled Saturday.

I’m just saying this is a team that can’t pass the ball for crap and they’re not an option team. Did you watch the mizzou game? Mizzou totally self destructed. Mizzou threw for almost 500 yards I believe. Was a total fluke deal, evidenced by the low scores and margins of their last two games against really bad teams. Wouldn’t shock me if we rolled Saturday.
I can understand that based on the opponents we lost to. In the manner we lost. We clean up the bone headed penalties, turnovers, and playing not to lose (HC problems, essentially) and we at least make those games extremely close if not win. But I have zero confidence in Monty until he proves we can do it. I'm pretty sure that's the bulk of the Tulsa fan base, what's left of it anyway.

Ive never said anything about you being "little ole Tulsa" just interesting to see some fan perspective of "Wyoming who?" Should be a good game and good luck, hope its a good game and no injuries for either team.

Reactions: TULOYAL
Ive never said anything about you being "little ole Tulsa" just interesting to see some fan perspective of "Wyoming who?" Should be a good game and good luck, hope its a good game and no injuries for either team.

No one is saying “Wyoming who”? I’m just saying if you dig a little deeper, while they’re 3-0, it’s not that impressive. But maybe they’ll shut me up and I’ll have to eat crow here Saturday. Good luck!

Oh I don't think most of us are in the "Wyoming who" crowd by any means. Y'all are a solid team. But every week we have other fans come in here that are surprised we think Tulsa has a shot. And same to y'all!

You going to the game??

Oh I don't think most of us are in the "Wyoming who" crowd by any means. Y'all are a solid team. But every week we have other fans come in here that are surprised we think Tulsa has a shot. And same to y'all!

You going to the game??

Im not surprised you think Tulsa has a shot, this will be a difficult game no doubt for Wyoming. But i thought it was interesting that one fan thinks Tulsa defense will be the best Defense Wyoming will see all year.....may be true, may not be true. I guess we will find out Saturday, it will be a tough road game for Wyoming before Conference games begin.

Im not surprised you think Tulsa has a shot, this will be a difficult game no doubt for Wyoming. But i thought it was interesting that one fan thinks Tulsa defense will be the best Defense Wyoming will see all year.....may be true, may not be true. I guess we will find out Saturday, it will be a tough road game for Wyoming before Conference games begin.
And that's pretty much how football goes. Any given Saturday. That's we love it so much!

I
I expect a good game on Saturday and don’t believe Wyoming will give us a thing. Boys are going to need to earn it. Hopefully Monty doesn’t Monty things up. I will say if Wyoming can’t get the passing game going and the line and our linebackers can pin their ears back and attack our D may be the best they see this season. If the offense performs up to Monty’s standard we will be in for a dissappointing regardless of how the defense plays. TU for the wIn in a tight game.

I can understand that based on the opponents we lost to. In the manner we lost. We clean up the bone headed penalties, turnovers, and playing not to lose (HC problems, essentially) and we at least make those games extremely close if not win. But I have zero confidence in Monty until he proves we can do it. I'm pretty sure that's the bulk of the Tulsa fan base, what's left of it anyway.

Yep.
It seems we said this same thing about the same time last year.

Reactions: HuffyCane
No one is saying “Wyoming who”? I’m just saying if you dig a little deeper, while they’re 3-0, it’s not that impressive. But maybe they’ll shut me up and I’ll have to eat crow here Saturday. Good luck!
This Wyoming team is shaping up to be a grind it out, come from behind, crush the opponent's soul type of team. It's ugly, but it gets the job done.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
If we lose this game, I see 2, maybe 3 wins this season. If we win this game, I say 4-5 wins this season. It’ll be a good test. We’ve played one really good team, one pretty good team, and one doo doo team, so this Saturday will determine a lot against an average team.

Reactions: TULSARISING
I think we are much better obviously, but Saturday is a must win going into a bye. It’ll feel a lot better with a solid performance Saturday.
We need to have a winning performance. There was a good deal of time this past Saturday I felt like TU was better than OSU. We had a couple of big plays against us and then we shot ourselves in the foot too many times and then Monty went into his classic 'limit the damage" mode. The most frustrating thing is if he made a simple adjustment here or there to counter the extra defender in the box, we still have a chance.

Does anyone else find it puzzling that he forgets to use his full complement of players at his disposal who may have a skill that is optimal for certain situations? I.e. not using Wilkerson in short yardage situations (hell, he stopped using Taylor after the 2Q).

We need to win on Saturday. We need to dominate on Saturday for both the players and the fans. I think fans will stick around a little more because there were portions of the game where TU bullied OSU rather than the other way around. But a lackluster performance against Wyoming, win or not, and you might not get them coming back for the rest of what should be a great conference schedule.

If we lose this game, I see 2, maybe 3 wins this season. If we win this game, I say 4-5 wins this season. It’ll be a good test. We’ve played one really good team, one pretty good team, and one doo doo team, so this Saturday will determine a lot against an average team.
we should win this week....and we should win 7 this season. I'm almost of the opinion that Smith should just call the plays at the LOS. Let Monty, Trahan, and Bloesch determine personnel and let Smith call a formation and 2 plays to run from it. We were at our best when we were trying to GO FAST on Saturday. If we're able to wear down a Big XII team we should be able to wear down just about anyone we play from here on out.

The ? in terms of games left IMO are Houston although they can't run the ball with a RB, and their entire offense right now seems predicated on King improvising. Tough to play against. Their D is OK but nothing great. Memphis- good D, offense is actually very average so far. They're not running as effectively as they did last year and our pass D should be enough to limit White's effectiveness. UCF- hard to tell. They're good, but I still think the verdict is out on Wimbush and how effective he is. Cincinnati- just can't tell they've been pretty up and down so far this year. A nice win vs UCLA continues to lose its shine because UCLA is a dumpster fire of epic proportions and is just an outright terrible team right now. I think they can be had. Likewise with SMU-a lot will be learned when they play TCU. Buechele is decent but I am not sold on their defense or other offensive pieces. We should beat Tulane, Navy, and ECU.

I think we take out Houston and Memphis at home this year to get to 7 and who knows...if Monty opens things up on offense like he did with Dane in 2016 we could do a bit more.

we should win this week....and we should win 7 this season. I'm almost of the opinion that Smith should just call the plays at the LOS. Let Monty, Trahan, and Bloesch determine personnel and let Smith call a formation and 2 plays to run from it. We were at our best when we were trying to GO FAST on Saturday. If we're able to wear down a Big XII team we should be able to wear down just about anyone we play from here on out.

The ? in terms of games left IMO are Houston although they can't run the ball with a RB, and their entire offense right now seems predicated on King improvising. Tough to play against. Their D is OK but nothing great. Memphis- good D, offense is actually very average so far. They're not running as effectively as they did last year and our pass D should be enough to limit White's effectiveness. UCF- hard to tell. They're good, but I still think the verdict is out on Wimbush and how effective he is. Cincinnati- just can't tell they've been pretty up and down so far this year. A nice win vs UCLA continues to lose its shine because UCLA is a dumpster fire of epic proportions and is just an outright terrible team right now. I think they can be had. Likewise with SMU-a lot will be learned when they play TCU. Buechele is decent but I am not sold on their defense or other offensive pieces. We should beat Tulane, Navy, and ECU.

I think we take out Houston and Memphis at home this year to get to 7 and who knows...if Monty opens things up on offense like he did with Dane in 2016 we could do a bit more.

That’s very optimistic, but I hope it happens.

That’s very optimistic, but I hope it happens.
I think it's fair. This team is a lot better than last year...the offense and even the defense. Hell, we had a regular rotation of the DL on Saturday between 3 units and each played really well. Our DB unit is fantastic and Brandon Johnson is doing something that I never thought could happen and that is being a safety and covering the slot receivers as well as Whitfield did last year. I thought we might have a small drop off on D this year with Bill Young retiring, but we are actually better.

Anyone listen to the coaches' show last night? I sent in a question about why the apparent change in play calling form 1st to 2nd half where the 1st half seemed to be much more aggressive. I am trying to ask it diplomatically to get it answered. And hopefully if I have to ask it every game this year Monty realizes he goes into a shell and it costs us games.

I have some concerns from Saturday. Once OSU brought the additional defender in the box we had no answers. We couldn't run it and Smith was unable to generate anything of substance in the air. I assume most teams will sell out to stop our running game and force Smith to beat them through the air. I also thought we didn't handle blitz pickups very well in the second half. Basic game plan for our opponents should be to make us one dimensional then bring pressure on the QB. IF I know this I assume Monty does as well. The question is can he make the adjustments necessary?

I have some concerns from Saturday. Once OSU brought the additional defender in the box we had no answers. We couldn't run it and Smith was unable to generate anything of substance in the air. I assume most teams will sell out to stop our running game and force Smith to beat them through the air. I also thought we didn't handle blitz pickups very well in the second half. Basic game plan for our opponents should be to make us one dimensional then bring pressure on the QB. IF I know this I assume Monty does as well. The question is can he make the adjustments necessary?
Quite honestly this is the only ? for this team, IMO. We see the talent out there. Stokes freaking turned the OSU safety inside out on the 1st TD, Crawford roasted an all Big XII 1st team DB. Smith made some great throws. Once OSU ramped up the pressure TU failed to adjust to beat that (jailbreak screens, RB curl, quick PA passes. I'm still miffed that we NEVER used the PA pass we ran against SJSU last week where Crawford came in motion, Smith faked the hand off to the RB and hit Crawford on an out and an 8 yd gain. We also never tried a tunnel/bubble screen which would have exploited the empty middle with bringing a safety down into the box. These plays are in the play book but it's almost as if we don't have an OC seeing the defensive adjustments and calling plays to counter those adjustments.

I think it's fair. This team is a lot better than last year...the offense and even the defense. Hell, we had a regular rotation of the DL on Saturday between 3 units and each played really well. Our DB unit is fantastic and Brandon Johnson is doing something that I never thought could happen and that is being a safety and covering the slot receivers as well as Whitfield did last year. I thought we might have a small drop off on D this year with Bill Young retiring, but we are actually better.

Anyone listen to the coaches' show last night? I sent in a question about why the apparent change in play calling form 1st to 2nd half where the 1st half seemed to be much more aggressive. I am trying to ask it diplomatically to get it answered. And hopefully if I have to ask it every game this year Monty realizes he goes into a shell and it costs us games.

If we blow out Wyoming Saturday, I’ll jump on board with you

UCF's qb is a freshman named Gilbert, kid is smooth and throws a great deep ball. He has beat Winbush for the job. Mack who won them the championship game last year and started vs LSU is a red shirt sophomore who will miss the season. Oh and Milton is expected back next year.

Apparently you can acquire more than one good QB. Someone won go run and tell Monty quick.

Reactions: CJP68
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT