ADVERTISEMENT

Wyoming

Anything that doesn't come down to a last possession scenario is a cakewalk for my anxiety

I'll be happy with a nail biting 1 point win. And I expect a 4 quarters game with a key turnover being the difference. Clearly the turning point game for TU if we have any chance of getting back to or over 500

UCF's qb is a freshman named Gilbert, kid is smooth and throws a great deep ball. He has beat Winbush for the job. Mack who won them the championship game last year and started vs LSU is a red shirt sophomore who will miss the season. Oh and Milton is expected back next year.

Apparently you can acquire more than one good QB. Someone won go run and tell Monty quick.
  • Something that Jerry Rhome said years ago has always stuck with me. He said he "considers every down a potential touchdown". It made me sick to see Monty call for taking a knee for the final three downs before half time in the OSU game.

Something I always think about:

Glenn Dobbs talked about Tulsa football and putting it in the air. Graham talked about Tulsa football and what it was, a modern version of what Dobbs was advocating. We have a history of success and it isn't by being conservative.

Couple of our most memorable moments have come with a deep ball thrown from the endzone for a big score. Our records are held by people who didn't know what it meant to take their foot off the gas. The tower play is illegal in football in part due to Tulsa using it to run up the score. Where is that in the program now?

Reactions: TU_BLA
Something I always think about:

Glenn Dobbs talked about Tulsa football and putting it in the air. Graham talked about Tulsa football and what it was, a modern version of what Dobbs was advocating. We have a history of success and it isn't by being conservative.

Couple of our most memorable moments have come with a deep ball thrown from the endzone for a big score. Our records are held by people who didn't know what it meant to take their foot off the gas. The tower play is illegal in football in part due to Tulsa using it to run up the score. Where is that in the program now?
ESPN has a series right now that talks about the evolution of the forward pass in college football. Pretty sure they don't ever mention Tulsa, Dobbs, or Rhome in this series despite the fact that most modern college passing attacks owe their roots to Dobbs' innovation in the passing game.

ESPN has a series right now that talks about the evolution of the forward pass in college football. Pretty sure they don't ever mention Tulsa, Dobbs, or Rhome in this series despite the fact that most modern college passing attacks owe their roots to Dobbs' innovation in the passing game.

Most coaches that talk about it mention Tulsa being ahead of their time back then and opening football up to a new and exciting brand of offense.
Figures they would leave Tulsa out...

I have blue and gold glasses on but I think we win comfortably tomorrow. I really like our defense and playing against a team that we know is going to run is a great chance for the defense to gain confidence.

I think our coverage is good enough that we can blitz almost all game if we want.

I have blue and gold glasses on but I think we win comfortably tomorrow. I really like our defense and playing against a team that we know is going to run is a great chance for the defense to gain confidence.

I think our coverage is good enough that we can blitz almost all game if we want.

that being said, we could also lose if we haven’t improved on discipline. Our offense is quite improved but most teams will struggle to score if their OL consistently gets false starts, or illegal men downfield.

that being said, we could also lose if we haven’t improved on discipline. Our offense is quite improved but most teams will struggle to score if their OL consistently gets false starts, or illegal men downfield.

And as Huffy mentioned the discipline issue extends to some things on defense as well. Overrunning your gap because you want to go make the play is a discipline problem and was responsible for every long run OSU had.

And as Huffy mentioned the discipline issue extends to some things on defense as well. Overrunning your gap because you want to go make the play is a discipline problem and was responsible for every long run OSU had.
Can't have our DE's crashing down in passing situations. Not with this QB.

Missouri tried that.

Missouri tried that.

brown-daisy-md.png

Last edited:
So are you thinking a pretty easy win for Wyoming?
No, hardly.

Missouri stacked the box and got burned when Wyoming’s runners got to the second level. Two of their turnovers resulted in Wyoming scores. They were also undisciplined and had a bunch of stupid penalties. I think they also got overconfident and cocky when they went up 14-0. Missouri came back in the fourth quarter and Wyoming’s defense had to hang on. It was a gutsy performance.

So, if Tulsa plays like Mizzou, then I like Wyoming’s chances.

Play a solid game, then it’ll be a battle.

No, hardly.

Missouri stacked the box and got burned when Wyoming’s runners got to the second level. Two of their turnovers resulted in Wyoming scores. They were also undisciplined and had a bunch of stupid penalties. I think they also got overconfident and cocky when they went up 14-0. Missouri came back in the fourth quarter and Wyoming’s defense had to hang on. It was a gutsy performance.

So, if Tulsa plays like Mizzou, then I like Wyoming’s chances.

Play a solid game, then it’ll be a battle.
I think Wyoming wins by 14+ if Tulsa goes conservative again. You have a better coach

I'm so used to Poke being a nickname that OSU fans use, that I didn't realize DCPoke was a Wyoming fan.
Actually Wyoming is the original Pokes or Cowboys. UW took the mascot name in 1891 as the players on the first team were cowboys. OSU were the Tigers or the Aggies up to 1923 and then switched to the Cowboys.

From the UW media guide:

The nickname “Cowboys” was applied to Wyoming athletic
teams as early as 1891 - two years before the first official
football game. The story is that the Wyoming pick-up
football team appealed to a 220 pound cowpuncher, Fred
Bush, for help in a game against the Cheyenne Soldiers.
Bush signed up for a course or two and came out for
the team. When he trotted onto the field decked out in a
checkered shirt and Cowboy hat, someone yelled, “Hey, look
at the Cowboy!” Since many of the members of the team
were also ex-cowboys, the name stuck. When women’s
sports were added at UW, the nickname of Cowgirls was
applied to those squads.

Reactions: TULSARISING
I'll be happy with a nail biting 1 point win. And I expect a 4 quarters game with a key turnover being the difference. Clearly the turning point game for TU if we have any chance of getting back to or over 500
I agree. I think it's going to be a close run thing.

Actually Wyoming is the original Pokes or Cowboys. UW took the mascot name in 1891 as the players on the first team were cowboys. OSU were the Tigers or the Aggies up to 1923 and then switched to the Cowboys.

From the UW media guide:

The nickname “Cowboys” was applied to Wyoming athletic
teams as early as 1891 - two years before the first official
football game. The story is that the Wyoming pick-up
football team appealed to a 220 pound cowpuncher, Fred
Bush, for help in a game against the Cheyenne Soldiers.
Bush signed up for a course or two and came out for
the team. When he trotted onto the field decked out in a
checkered shirt and Cowboy hat, someone yelled, “Hey, look
at the Cowboy!” Since many of the members of the team
were also ex-cowboys, the name stuck. When women’s
sports were added at UW, the nickname of Cowgirls was
applied to those squads.
I knew those OSU “Cowboys” had no honor! Stealing your nickname they should be called the “Rustlers”. At least in the early 1900’s we had the “moral compass” to change our name from Tornadoes upon finding out Ga Tech beat us to it. ; ) We are the one and only original Golden Hurricane!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT