ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s World Cup - Randy Waldrum Edition

Good luck to Randy.

But let’s switch the discussion to the USA.

Can we solve the issues in the midfield?

Nigeria just tied Canada. Stopped a PK in the 2nd half and overcame a late red card (deserved red card) to hold onto the draw.

You beat me to the Randy Waldrum post. And apparently he's recruiting his Nigerian players to come play for him at Pitt as well. I wonder how the coaching at Pitt is going to work with him down under for the next 3 weeks and maybe longer since most schools will start their Fall training around August 1.

BTW, some surprising results on days 1 & 2. New Zealand beat Norway 1-0 in a mild upset. Australia won as expected but needed a late PK call to get their goal and the win. The stadium was absolutely packed for that game (72k). Canada and Nigeria drew in a good result for Nigeria and a disappointing one for Canada.

Switzerland finally broke through against a game Philippines squad for a 2-0 (most of the Philippines team is made up of American born players. Spain put a hurting on Costa Rica 3-0.

Next game up is the US vs Vietnam tonight. saying that seems wrong and politically incorrect to me for some reason.

To quote Charles Barkley when asked at the pre-game press conference about the political situation in Angola before the USA Dream Team played Angola in the 1992 Olympics, “I don’t know anything about Angola but Angola in trouble.”

Spain could win the whole thing. There’s some excellent efficient movement on and off the ball. No wasted effort. No wasted passes. Less reliance on speed, strength and balance and more reliance on vision and technique. If they don’t waste their chances, the USA had better hope they run by them or can bully their way through.

Spain could win the whole thing. There’s some excellent efficient movement on and off the ball. No wasted effort. No wasted passes. Less reliance on speed, strength and balance and more reliance on vision and technique. If they don’t waste their chances, the USA had better hope they run by them or can bully their way through.
I've seen a number of women's teams who have some of the similar traits of Spain. Germany, France, England, and the Netherlands all seem to have that similar Euro style of play...and the US beats them almost every time because the US simply has more players who are really really good.
So I was wondering where all these great players who should still be in the mix for USWNT and are missing from the roster, players like Tobin Heath, Sam Mewis, Christen Press, and Becky Sauerbrun. They're all out with injuries. Most are knee injuries and in the cases of Press and Mewis, they've undergone multiple surgeries. Heath has been out a while after injuring her knee with Arsenal. She came back to the US to rehab, signed with OL Reign and then underwent a setback that she still hasn't been able to overcome. Sauerbrun's is a foot injury and more recent...which sucks because she was a steady rock in the back for the US. If she is playing in this WC I don't think there is anyone who would doubt the US' ability to win again. Without her it gives some other teams hope. I still think everyone is chasing the US even with all the new faces.

I've seen a number of women's teams who have some of the similar traits of Spain. Germany, France, England, and the Netherlands all seem to have that similar Euro style of play...and the US beats them almost every time because the US simply has more players who are really really good.
So I was wondering where all these great players who should still be in the mix for USWNT and are missing from the roster, players like Tobin Heath, Sam Mewis, Christen Press, and Becky Sauerbrun. They're all out with injuries. Most are knee injuries and in the cases of Press and Mewis, they've undergone multiple surgeries. Heath has been out a while after injuring her knee with Arsenal. She came back to the US to rehab, signed with OL Reign and then underwent a setback that she still hasn't been able to overcome. Sauerbrun's is a foot injury and more recent...which sucks because she was a steady rock in the back for the US. If she is playing in this WC I don't think there is anyone who would doubt the US' ability to win again. Without her it gives some other teams hope. I still think everyone is chasing the US even with all the new faces.
Read a good article yesterday stating women soccer players suffer ACL injuries at 6-8x the rate of their male counterparts. Differences in male and female anatomy the main culprit. On that note, Nike just released its first cleat specifically designed for women. The shoe is designed not to stick in the ground when cutting. Nike had a booth at ECNL nationals where the girls could try on the cleats and pre-order. Hoping the new technology helps.

The solid orange and white/orange cleats the USWNT are wearing tonight are those shoes btw. Cleats are called Luna

Good 3-0 win last night with Vietnam not even threatening our goal…but, our finishing was awful and that has to improve.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I was telling my wife at the start of last night’s game that I’m really impressed with Sophia Smith and she's one to watch.

I didn't expect her to get 2 goals and an assist though!

I was telling my wife at the start of last night’s game that I’m really impressed with Sophia Smith and she's one to watch.

I didn't expect her to get 2 goals and an assist though!
Smith and Trinity Rodman make it easy to forget that Christen Press and Tobin Heath, both phenomenal players, are not playing in the WC due to injury issues.

Next game against the Netherlands will tell us where this team really is.

Huge upset this AM as Jamaica tied France with a scoreless tie. Jamaica was scrappy and they've got a tremendous talent up front in Bunny Shaw. Shaw got sent off for a 2nd yellow late in the match meaning she'll miss the next game against Panama.

France will still likely qualify for the knockout rounds out of this group but Jamaica has shown Brazil and Panama how to defend Les Bleu.

So through the first 3 full match days, we've seen a trend that the rest of the world is starting to get way better at soccer and their probably are no more gimme games left in the WWC. Where the US had been beating sides like Vietnam by 8, 9, or even 10-0 score lines just a few years ago, now they're just winning those games 3-0.

So through the first 3 full match days, we've seen a trend that the rest of the world is starting to get way better at soccer and their probably are no more gimme games left in the WWC. Where the US had been beating sides like Vietnam by 8, 9, or even 10-0 score lines just a few years ago, now they're just winning those games 3-0.
Honest question, have they gotten way better or have they changed their strategies up against top teams? It seemed to me that Vietnam deliberately played extra defense to make scoring more difficult for the US. They succeeded but it made it so that their attack was non-existent.

I've never paid close attention to either world cup until the past few years. I've always watched them but never paid attention to trends or other countries teams so I'm curious what your thought is.

You can’t score seven if you are holding folks back to cover your suspect midfield.

Honest question, have they gotten way better or have they changed their strategies up against top teams? It seemed to me that Vietnam deliberately played extra defense to make scoring more difficult for the US. They succeeded but it made it so that their attack was non-existent.

I've never paid close attention to either world cup until the past few years. I've always watched them but never paid attention to trends or other countries teams so I'm curious what your thought is.
Probably a combination of both. And maybe that game specifically wasn't a great example or it was because that tactic has never really worked against the US. But let's point to other games like Canada & Nigeria and Jamaica and France that both ended in scoreless draws. France is probably the 2nd favorite to win this WC behind the US and Jamaica held their own with some really good GK, some really good team defense and they nearly won the game a couple of times finding players on counters. Canada is a really good side and Nigeria is up and coming. England struggled in their 1st match. You've seen it up and down. The worst score lines so far are 6-0 Germany over Morocco, and 5-0 Japan over Zambia. Many of these countries are playing in their 1st WWC. I think the gap is closing....sort of the same way you've seen it closing in women's college basketball recently where you're seeing more than just UCONN, Tennessee, Stanford, and Notre Dame in the Final Four every year. I think access to the game has increased tremendously creating more opportunities. If you watch the games closely enough and listen to the commentators talk about players, you hear a lot of them are playing in Europe in the women's leagues (which are really good BTW) OR they're in the US playing college soccer. I know one of the Nigerian players is set to play for Waldrum at Pitt. One of the Jamaican players plays at Florida State (one of the top women's soccer programs in the country). There is just more opportunity and more access so you're going to start seeing women's programs getting better and closing that gap.

There wasn’t any money in women’s soccer in Europe until about 5 years ago. Now there is. It’s that simple.

Don’t look now but the women’s champions league player pay out alone will soon be larger than the value of most NWSL clubs.

The USA is going to be the Dallas Cowboys of women’s soccer shortly. Really successful when nobody else was spending money, not so successful as soon as salaries were even due to internal management issues and self defeating aspirations.

The days are gone where we can depend upon the colleges hungry to stay in the football national championship hunt and willing to spend what ever is necessary to stay out of Title IX compliance problems in that effort to win football games to sort out who meets certain pre-seat physical requirements and has mastered a few basic fundamentals necessary to dominate possession, then have those women train professionally as more or less a cohesive unit for a decade or longer while they essentially have a semipro relationship with their clubs.

Don’t look now, but there will be an existential crisis in American women’s soccer quietly very soon. Many of the special privileges built into the collective bargaining agreement will be outdated soon as the European club model takes over.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA
Truly one of my favorite recurring bits on ITS is Huffy prophesizing the demise of USWNT immediately before they go out and kick a bunch of ass and take a bunch of names.

US women draw with the Netherlands last night 1-1 despite out shooting the Dutch 20-4 (8 to 1 SOG). Netherlands actually held the possession advantage but the US had every other stat in their favor including corners...and the US attack was fairly efficient in getting the ball into the attacking 1/3 to create chances, they just didn't cash in their chances. The Dutch goal came on a broken defensive play by the US and some poor (IMO) goalkeeping from Alyssa Naeher. She didn't do a great job of tracking the play and moving to get into a proper position to cut down the angle on the shot. She was just way off her angle on the play and the shot was well placed but not particularly driven so savable IMO.

On the Randy Waldrum front, Nigeria pulled off a HUUUUUGGGGGE upset beating host Australia 3-2 despite the referee's best efforts to get Australia to tie the game. 11 minutes of 2nd half stoppage time. Not sure where they pulled that number from since there were 2 goals and one 3-4 minute stoppage for an injury after Nigeria's 2nd goal. Nigeria now sits at the top of the group w/ their last game vs Ireland who has been the weakest team in the group. A win or tie gets them through and means either Australia or Canada gets eliminated in the group stage...two teams that are good enough to make noise in the knockout stage.

I don’t fault Naeher for that goal, it was just inside the post from the opposite side, that’s a tough stop no matter who’s in goal. Our spacing the first half was horrible and it’s a wonder it was only 1-0 at half. We did better the second half but our offense is some of the worst I’ve seen from a women’s team. We get in good position but then can’t get the shots on frame. I will say that the Dutch keeper was good, she did save a couple of sure goals.

How much money is Nigeria going to throw at Randy now? Nigeria makes the knockout round in an upset and Canada is going home.

Tomorrow AM (2AM tonight) US vs Portugal. Which jersey should I wear? Probably going to nod off here soon so I can wake up and watch and then go through my work day as a zombie tomorrow

How much money is Nigeria going to throw at Randy now? Nigeria makes the knockout round in an upset and Canada is going home.

Tomorrow AM (2AM tonight) US vs Portugal. Which jersey should I wear? Probably going to nod off here soon so I can wake up and watch and then go through my work day as a zombie tomorrow
However much it takes to keep him

I’m DVRing the game so I can watch it when I get up tomorrow.

They definitely don’t have the touch previous teams had. While we’re fielding a handful of veterans this team is really young and probably a cycle away from being the team we’re used to and expect.

They definitely don’t have the touch previous teams had. While we’re fielding a handful of veterans this team is really young and probably a cycle away from being the team we’re used to and expect.
They're not really young. Sure there are a handful of players under 25 but the majority are over 25 and vets of the scene. They are decimated by injuries to some key players thrusting players who probably would not make the team if those players were healthy, into the spotlight. Sam Mewis, Christen Press, Tobin Heath, Abby Dahlkemper and Becky Sauerbrun are all plagued by injuries right now. Dahlkemper and Sauerbrun hurt because it then pulls Julie Ertz out of the 6 role for the US and the backline has struggled against runs into space so far...I say struggle because it's happening and leading to dangerous chances against the US, yet the US has still only conceded a single goal in this tournament.

The biggest issues for the US is the lack of ball control in the MF and players just not making the hard runs to force defenders out of spaces. The outside defenders have not been able to jump into the attack and I can tell you they're not out there for their ability to defend 1 v 1. Crystal Dunn was terrible vs Portugal. And we simply can't finish. One thing you knew with Carli Lloyd out there was that if she got the ball in the box with even a small space to turn towards goal, there was a really good chance the ball was hitting the back of the net. No one has stepped up to be that finisher for the US. Rose LaVelle scored a cracker of a goal vs the Netherlands in the 2019 final from 22 yards. When presented with the same opportunity vs Portugal, she pushed a pass out for Sophia Smith and no chance came from it.

The US is in big trouble if they bring that style and lack of energy to a game vs Sweden.

They're not really young. Sure there are a handful of players under 25 but the majority are over 25 and vets of the scene. They are decimated by injuries to some key players thrusting players who probably would not make the team if those players were healthy, into the spotlight. Sam Mewis, Christen Press, Tobin Heath, Abby Dahlkemper and Becky Sauerbrun are all plagued by injuries right now. Dahlkemper and Sauerbrun hurt because it then pulls Julie Ertz out of the 6 role for the US and the backline has struggled against runs into space so far...I say struggle because it's happening and leading to dangerous chances against the US, yet the US has still only conceded a single goal in this tournament.

The biggest issues for the US is the lack of ball control in the MF and players just not making the hard runs to force defenders out of spaces. The outside defenders have not been able to jump into the attack and I can tell you they're not out there for their ability to defend 1 v 1. Crystal Dunn was terrible vs Portugal. And we simply can't finish. One thing you knew with Carli Lloyd out there was that if she got the ball in the box with even a small space to turn towards goal, there was a really good chance the ball was hitting the back of the net. No one has stepped up to be that finisher for the US. Rose LaVelle scored a cracker of a goal vs the Netherlands in the 2019 final from 22 yards. When presented with the same opportunity vs Portugal, she pushed a pass out for Sophia Smith and no chance came from it.

The US is in big trouble if they bring that style and lack of energy to a game vs Sweden.
And sadly, as many as three of those players may be past their playing days for the WNT by the next world cup.(They will be 42, 39, and 38.)

And sadly, as many as three of those players may be past their playing days for the WNT by the next world cup.(They will be 42, 39, and 38.)
Agreed. Rapinoe was brought in to be an experienced leader. She is still a great player and delivers some of the best crosses. This is her last rodeo for the WWC. Still remember the 50 yd cross she delivered to Abby Wambach against Brazil in 2011 (?) to tie the game (semi or quarter) which they eventually won in ET. It may be the best delivery of a ball I've ever seen.

Agreed. Rapinoe was brought in to be an experienced leader. She is still a great player and delivers some of the best crosses. This is her last rodeo for the WWC. Still remember the 50 yd cross she delivered to Abby Wambach against Brazil in 2011 (?) to tie the game (semi or quarter) which they eventually won in ET. It may be the best delivery of a ball I've ever seen.
Rapinoe has looked her age the last several games. Poor touches, a step slow, etc.. The game against Vietnam she was outright awful. I don’t think it was by accident she didn’t see the field against the Dutch. Interested to see how much she plays (if any) against Sweden.

Rapinoe has looked her age the last several games. Poor touches, a step slow, etc.. The game against Vietnam she was outright awful. I don’t think it was by accident she didn’t see the field against the Dutch. Interested to see how much she plays (if any) against Sweden.
I don't think she will and I think she understands her role is more motivational for the rest of the team right now.

I was disappointed in the reaction some of the players had to the game today. They seemed to think it was fine and they just couldn't find a goal. They weren't close. Alex Morgan and Kelly O'Hara should have absolutely laid into the effort and focus as it simply wasn't there, or at least consistently throughout the game it wasn't there.

I don't think she will and I think she understands her role is more motivational for the rest of the team right now.

I was disappointed in the reaction some of the players had to the game today. They seemed to think it was fine and they just couldn't find a goal. They weren't close. Alex Morgan and Kelly O'Hara should have absolutely laid into the effort and focus as it simply wasn't there, or at least consistently throughout the game it wasn't there.
I was disappointed after the game as well. Yes…you should go recognize the fans. However, dancing and laughing after that performance should never occur. Need a leader to step up and say that is unacceptable. Reminds me of when Kobe was on a talk show and they showed him the Laker players goofing around on the court after a loss. He was asked what he thought of that behavior. His response “that would have never happened”.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Some pretty hefty upsets making the knockout stage. We talked about Nigeria getting in over Canada. Also making the knockout round was South Africa after upsetting Italy 3-2 today. And Jamaica, scoring a whopping 1 goal and conceding zero in the group stage, is moving on while knocking Brazil out in what could be Marta's last WWC match.

Feels like a transition period for the team. New players might be still a little green. Vets look to have lost a step. Coach keeps changing formations. Talent is there to win this thing if the stars align.

Some pretty hefty upsets making the knockout stage. We talked about Nigeria getting in over Canada. Also making the knockout round was South Africa after upsetting Italy 3-2 today. And Jamaica, scoring a whopping 1 goal and conceding zero in the group stage, is moving on while knocking Brazil out in what could be Marta's last WWC match.
And Norway getting in was at least a small shock.

And Norway getting in was at least a small shock.
Only a slight upset there. Norway has a good side but they had to go up against one of the host teams. Norway got through by scoring a lot of goals vs the Philippines (which is like the US C squad). That group also had no clear favorite...it was rather meh compared to some of the other groups we saw.
Also, I don't know how closely everyone has been paying attention to the ridiculous number of American born players playing for other countries. I know Panama had a girl from Michigan playing for them, red hair, blue eyes...completely didn't look like most of the Panamanian players which had nicknamed her "Frozen" for her resemblance to the Disney character from Frozen. The Philippines squad had more American born players than Filippino born. There were a number of others as well.

Our girls have issues scoring goals but they beat the Philippines squad in friendlies like 8 or 9 to nothing. Philippines must have had an easy qualifying round.

Our girls have issues scoring goals but they beat the Philippines squad in friendlies like 8 or 9 to nothing. Philippines must have had an easy qualifying round.
Depends on which group they qualified through? If they are part of Oceania then they took the spot that Nee Zealand was given for being a host. If it was through Asia, then they may have gotten in through the spot that Australia would normally claim. Remember in the men's side there are Arab nations that qualify that don't sponsor women's sides because that's who those governments are and they don't allow women to participate in sports. So countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia that have good men's sides, aren't claiming spots on the women's side. And I can't remember if it was the Philippines or Morocco that had a Muslim woman wearing a hijab on the field and the Fox announcers were calling that a first in a WWC.

Germany out! Morocco gets a win vs Colombia in a huge upset and in the other matchup, South Korea tied Germany to send Morocco into the knockout round. Germany is the highest FIFA ranked team to not make the knockout round of the WWC. the Germans are currently #2 in the world behind only the US. Contrasted with that, Morocco is #72 in the FIFA rankings.

Love it! And it just goes to show that once other nations start investing in their women's programs the gap between the top teams and the lower ranked teams is narrowing. I mean the US was 3 inches from joining Germany and Brazil on the sidelines watching the knockout stage on TV. But also, congrats to South Korea on a good showing against a top team in a game that literally didn't matter to them outside of playing for their country and personal pride.

Knockout round starts Saturday

Reactions: lawpoke87
Not sure I’ve ever seen a USWNT play with less passion and purpose.
The women's big victory, IMO, was winning half the MNT's earnings in that lawsuit and the reason we have a team (the WC) ain't no big deal. I watched a total of 3 minutes of the Viet Nam game and that was during the US Ntl. anthem when something like 3 squad members bothered to put their hand over their hearts & only a couple tried to sing it. If playing for your country doesn't inspire you to do your maximum, you don't deserve to be in the squad, let alone advance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT