ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s World Cup - Randy Waldrum Edition

Just a follow up. My daughter attended a USYNT camp last month. Consisted of around 40 girls which they divided into 3 teams after around 20 minutes of a basic skills warmup. They played 30 minute scrimmages for 3 hours. The film was sent to all attendees and we were asked to condense the video into clips of our daughter’s play. Interesting way to evaluate imo.

I’m not sure how many USWNT scouts there are but we’ve had scouts at 2 of our last 3 games. Parents get zero feedback. No clue what the team coaches are told.

The new USWNT coach is a move in the right direction imo. Glad to see US Soccer move outside their inner circle for the hire.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA
It’s a last chance, you never watched my kid, maybe find a super late bloomer like Clint Dempsey kinda deal. The actual scouting was done 4 to 10 years ago. More than you know, I hope the best for her.

It’s a last chance, you never watched my kid, maybe find a super late bloomer like Clint Dempsey kinda deal. The actual scouting was done 4 to 10 years ago. More than you know, I hope the best for her.
My kid is 13. Can’t imagine much actual scouting went on prior to the last few years. Thanks for the best wishes. She obviously has practically zero shot to ever make a national team but the experiences are fantastic. Hopefully she can carry them forward in her adult life.

She’s nearing past the ID stage. So this is a great opportunity for her. I thought she was in high school. It’s less so with the girls than the boys, but just about every name on the USMNT for the last 25 years was scouted between ages 8 to 12. There’s some exceptions, Jay DeMerit going to England and Dempsey playing all those underground games in Texas and Mexico, Charlie Davies being an Olympic caliber wrestler running wind sprints before a high school match that Thomas Rongen just happened to see, but for the most part every kid training in 8th and 9th grade to play varsity when they get to high school has the dream and, at best, slightly more than no chance to make it past college ball. It’s already been decided.

There’s a lot we can say about the ID process, and I’ve said plenty on here before, but for good or for ill, if you’ve wondered why you are flying your U12 kid to Vegas to play in a tournament, that’s why. The kids have chances, they just don’t know it. Wynalda talks a lot about transparency and the need for frank talk with parents and even kids about what they can and can’t do to improve. And people should listen. He cares more about the sport and the kids and less about the politics and money than anyone.

Speaking of Randy, the Pitt women rolled into Fayetteville this weekend and stomped a mudhole in the Hogs and Memphis to reach the round of 8. It was glorious to watch one of my favorite girls stick it to that bastard of a UA head coach.

Just a follow up. My daughter attended a USYNT camp last month. Consisted of around 40 girls which they divided into 3 teams after around 20 minutes of a basic skills warmup. They played 30 minute scrimmages for 3 hours. The film was sent to all attendees and we were asked to condense the video into clips of our daughter’s play. Interesting way to evaluate imo.

I’m not sure how many USWNT scouts there are but we’ve had scouts at 2 of our last 3 games. Parents get zero feedback. No clue what the team coaches are told.

The new USWNT coach is a move in the right direction imo. Glad to see US Soccer move outside their inner circle for the hire.
I like the new hire as well. At some point didn't Lindsay Horan or Mewis play for her at Chelsea? I'm sure that had a little bit to do with it.

Speaking of Randy, the Pitt women rolled into Fayetteville this weekend and stomped a mudhole in the Hogs and Memphis to reach the round of 8. It was glorious to watch one of my favorite girls stick it to that bastard of a UA head coach.
I don't know anything about the UA coach except for the fact that a lot of girls around here want to go play for him. One of the better players to come out of Oklahoma the last 6-10 years decided to go there and take 3 of her Union teammates with her, One being Taylor Malham who was a dynamite player and USWNT youth player as well. Both Parker Goins and Taylor are in NWSL right now. And then Taylor's little sister decided to go to Arkansas. Those 3 basically could have gone anywhere the hell they wanted to play college soccer but they chose Arkansas.

BTW, there is another Malham coming up too. I believe she's a U14 at TSC right now. I thought the Malham's were done but apparently not. The son is a SR at Union this year on the basketball team.

She’s nearing past the ID stage. So this is a great opportunity for her. I thought she was in high school. It’s less so with the girls than the boys, but just about every name on the USMNT for the last 25 years was scouted between ages 8 to 12. There’s some exceptions, Jay DeMerit going to England and Dempsey playing all those underground games in Texas and Mexico, Charlie Davies being an Olympic caliber wrestler running wind sprints before a high school match that Thomas Rongen just happened to see, but for the most part every kid training in 8th and 9th grade to play varsity when they get to high school has the dream and, at best, slightly more than no chance to make it past college ball. It’s already been decided.

There’s a lot we can say about the ID process, and I’ve said plenty on here before, but for good or for ill, if you’ve wondered why you are flying your U12 kid to Vegas to play in a tournament, that’s why. The kids have chances, they just don’t know it. Wynalda talks a lot about transparency and the need for frank talk with parents and even kids about what they can and can’t do to improve. And people should listen. He cares more about the sport and the kids and less about the politics and money than anyone.
One of the perks of playing in Dallas is they have US Soccer scouts based there due to the amount of talent located in the metroplex. No need to travel to be seen by US Soccer or even colleges in Texas, Oklahoma or Arkansas.

I don't know anything about the UA coach except for the fact that a lot of girls around here want to go play for him. One of the better players to come out of Oklahoma the last 6-10 years decided to go there and take 3 of her Union teammates with her, One being Taylor Malham who was a dynamite player and USWNT youth player as well. Both Parker Goins and Taylor are in NWSL right now. And then Taylor's little sister decided to go to Arkansas. Those 3 basically could have gone anywhere the hell they wanted to play college soccer but they chose Arkansas.

BTW, there is another Malham coming up too. I believe she's a U14 at TSC right now. I thought the Malham's were done but apparently not. The son is a SR at Union this year on the basketball team.
I’m not familiar with a Malham girl at TSC.

The style at Arkansas fits those girls well. Coach like big and fast athletes. Play a very physical style with an emphasis of kick and run from the games I’ve seen. A style which fits the roster and works very well.

I’m not familiar with a Malham girl at TSC.

The style at Arkansas fits those girls well. Coach like big and fast athletes. Play a very physical style with an emphasis of kick and run from the games I’ve seen. A style which fits the roster and works very well.
There is at least one Malham at TSC right now. She made TSC's ECNL Team of the Week a couple weeks back. It is possible this is a cousin because there were 2 Malham brothers at TU back in the day (Mark and Jeff).

Reactions: lawpoke87
There is at least one Malham at TSC right now. She made TSC's ECNL Team of the Week a couple weeks back. It is possible this is a cousin because there were 2 Malham brothers at TU back in the day (Mark and Jeff).
I know that name, Jeff Malham. Now I'll agonize where I know it from. Did he play soccer for TU? Or play with the Roughnecks for a little. How old is he? I might have gone to intermediate high school with him my last two years in BA, before I moved to Keystone Lake. ('80 and '81)

I just looked her up. She’s on the U15 regional NTX team for TSC. Fun fact…that team was beat by the 2009 BA Express 4-1 Friday night :).

He transferred in from NEO after playing a season at KSU and played basketball in the early 90’s. Tubby’s first signee iirc. He didn’t graduate high school until like 1989. He’s prominent in the high school and college basketball referee circuit.

Last edited:
He transferred in from NEO after playing a season at KSU and played basketball in the early 90’s. Tubby’s first signee iirc. He didn’t graduate high school until like 1989. He’s prominent in the high school and college basketball referee circuit.
Thank you! I knew I knew him from somewhere's. He was two year's younger than me.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I hope they enjoy their Thanksgiving sitting at home this weekend. UA coach will probably text or email his roster and subtly mention to watch their diet over the holidays.

Reactions: ctt8410
Speaking of the women's college game, Pittsburg State just added a program at the DII level and hired TU Alum (and occasional ITS poster) Wes Branstetter as the head coach.

Speaking of the women's college game, Pittsburg State just added a program at the DII level and hired TU Alum (and occasional ITS poster) Wes Branstetter as the head coach.
I worked with Wes at ORU. We'd frequently interact as he took care of a lot of the stuff the Bush brothers didn't want to do like housing. His talent was wasted at ORU. He's a good recruiter and I think he'll do really well at Pitt State.

Reactions: ctt8410
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT