ADVERTISEMENT

TU’s Grueling Football Preseason Nears End - Tulsa World

TU 1978

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2009
This section from the article was refreshing -

Having already played five seasons for a different team, Kopenski admits, “This has definitely been the hardest fall camp I’ve been through. We go live almost every day and we really go after each other and get a lot of reps.”

Wilson has heard other transfer players express similar opinions about his grueling preseason and the in-depth practices that target all of the small changes and improvements that can lead to big results.

Joe Boulden, the special teams coordinator and defensive assistant, expresses his delight in having a head coach who emphasizes the importance of special teams. Boulden and Wilson both agree that games can be won or lost on special teams.

Despite this being his first season at TU, Wilson does not want to be given a grace period to make the team great after the Hurricane went 5-7 in 2022.

“I’m not setting the bar low, I’ve got some seniors who want to win now.”

This section from the article was refreshing -

Having already played five seasons for a different team, Kopenski admits, “This has definitely been the hardest fall camp I’ve been through. We go live almost every day and we really go after each other and get a lot of reps.”

Wilson has heard other transfer players express similar opinions about his grueling preseason and the in-depth practices that target all of the small changes and improvements that can lead to big results.

Joe Boulden, the special teams coordinator and defensive assistant, expresses his delight in having a head coach who emphasizes the importance of special teams. Boulden and Wilson both agree that games can be won or lost on special teams.

Despite this being his first season at TU, Wilson does not want to be given a grace period to make the team great after the Hurricane went 5-7 in 2022.

“I’m not setting the bar low, I’ve got some seniors who want to win now.”

HALL-E-****ING-LULAH!!!!!

I'm ready to run through a brick wall for Coach Wilson! Let's go!

Dear God the attention to details. The comments about practicing under the lights and making sure the jumbo tron was on, the ribbon boards are on so players can practice seeing and catching the ball, seeing the signals come from the sidelines, etc. At no time in the previous 8 years did I feel like the attention to details, small and big, was anywhere near where it needed to be for an FBS program. Evidenced by the timeouts being called immediately following a timeout or stoppage in play, the # of false starts and offside penalties, the # of personal fouls for stupidity...all these are indicative of the details not mattering in practice.

The night of the concert, they even took the team to the team hotel overnight, so they could get used to the night before a home game routine. Rick Dickson said watching practice, he was struck how everyone knew exactly where to go, he said their team huddles even looked like a team photo they were so organized.

The night of the concert, they even took the team to the team hotel overnight, so they could get used to the night before a home game routine. Rick Dickson said watching practice, he was struck how everyone knew exactly where to go, he said their team huddles even looked like a team photo they were so organized.
It's evidence that Wilson knows how to at least run a program with excellence in mind. And he's trying to run it like a P5 program which should be the case. Everything we've seen from his staff and him so far from recruiting, to practice, to academics, just indicates a desire to be successful nationally, not just in the AAC. I feel like Wilson is setting a big goal for the program and not aiming small. My guess is this team will not be satisfied with playing Washington or OU close and that the coaches are not going to hold things back in those games and that the goal is not to just come out of the games healthy.

Definitely agree with your thoughts. I think this staff and this team have underplayed just how hard they are working. As this season gets closer, I am getting more and more excited. This could be fun...

Definitely agree with your thoughts. I think this staff and this team have underplayed just how hard they are working. As this season gets closer, I am getting more and more excited. This could be fun...
Waiting for Haisten to start asking Wilson the "But this is lil old Tulsa so how do you plan to compete with the P5 schools?" questions and then Wilson ripping his head off, chewing it up and spitting it out. Monty and Haith bought into that line of thought and hence they limited themselves with what they thought they could accomplish here. So far I think Wilson is a no nonsense, no BS guy who has a goal of making the CFP. And I want nothing less. Tulsa (university and community) needs to get behind him and support him with both fans and $ to keep the staff intact, move towards some facility improvements, and kick the Haisten mentality to the curb once and for all. n

Waiting for Haisten to start asking Wilson the "But this is lil old Tulsa so how do you plan to compete with the P5 schools?" questions and then Wilson ripping his head off, chewing it up and spitting it out. Monty and Haith bought into that line of thought and hence they limited themselves with what they thought they could accomplish here. So far I think Wilson is a no nonsense, no BS guy who has a goal of making the CFP. And I want nothing less. Tulsa (university and community) needs to get behind him and support him with both fans and $ to keep the staff intact, move towards some facility improvements, and kick the Haisten mentality to the curb once and for all. n
Haisten isn't the smartest apple in the bushel, but he's likely not dumb enough to go complete fool with Wilson. That's been done before by others and the results have always been the same. The radio interview he did with the two idiots when he arrived at Indiana is classic and available on the net.

Last edited:
Waiting for Haisten to start asking Wilson the "But this is lil old Tulsa so how do you plan to compete with the P5 schools?" questions and then Wilson ripping his head off,
Might not happen since KDub & Scoop are possibly buds. Because, early in KDubs 1st recruiting effort, Scoop tipped him off to a kid from Choctaw who had been recruited by Colorado. KDub jumped all over R. J. Jackson and he likely will start for us at weak-side DE or be 1st off the bench as a true freshman. And KDub gave Haisten a big shout-out at the presser just after the 1st batch committed.

Might not happen since KDub & Scoop are possibly buds. Because, early in KDubs 1st recruiting effort, Scoop tipped him off to a kid from Choctaw who had been recruited by Colorado. KDub jumped all over R. J. Jackson and he likely will start for us at weak-side DE or be 1st off the bench as a true freshman. And KDub gave Haisten a big shout-out at the presser just after the 1st batch committed.
Haisten is a loose cannon, so anything is possible. I just hope it happens and is captured on tape so we can all see the replay.

Weird. Maybe Haisten won't hate us as long as Wilson is here.

Ostroski/Malone & Jackson possibly seeing playing time. Depth chart out

I think Ostroski is more than just seeing playing time...I think he's going to be a beast
I think you misunderstood. I was referring to Jackson seeing playing time. Ostroski is the starter and Malone is the backup. Of course Ostroski will do way more than see playing time. It'd be jackson that won't start or be first off the bench in reference to Quincy101. Read who I quote. The Ostroski/Malone thing was secondary to the point I was making.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT