ADVERTISEMENT

All Conference

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001
IRVING, Texas – Six Tulsa football student-athletes were named to the American Athletic Conference all-league teams as chosen by the league's 14 head coaches, it was announced today by the conference office.

Defensive end Ben Kopenski earned first team honors, safety Kendarin Ray second team, and third-team accolades went to offensive guard Chester Baah, placekicker Chase Meyer and running back Anthony Watkins. Offensive tackle Darrell Simpson was named honorable mention.

Kopenski was among the league leaders for sacks with 8.5 for -46 yards and tackles for loss with 13.5 or -59 yards. He completed the season with 52 tackles and had two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

The American's tackles leader, Ray totaled 131 stops, outdistancing the next highest player by 37 tackles. He ended the regular season ranked eighth nationally for total tackles and fourth for solo tackles with 73. Ray had eight double-figure tackle games this season and 15 for his career, while setting a career-high 16 stops against North Texas.

Watkins finished the season ranked fourth in the AAC for rushing with 889 yards for a 4.51 average and 74.1 yards per game. He had three 100+ rushing games, all coming within the last four games of the season. Baah and Simpson were key components of an offensive line that helped pave the way for the league's fourth-best rushing offense with 180.7 yards.

In his first season with the Golden Hurricane, Meyer converted 17-of-20 field goals and 30-of-31 PATs for 81 points. He ranked second in the league for field goal percentage at .850, while his 17 field goals was the third-most in The American.

Awesome, so proud for Ben ......of all the OSU players than transferred last year he was the one I hated to see leave the most. I totally understood why he left and said at the time I thought he could be an all conference player....he is the prime example of a guy who if he had Been 4 inches taller he would have been recruited by everyone....I know he finished as a hurricane, but in my book he is a Cowboy for ever

Here's a question, did any of the players who would have started and played here this season but decided to portal out to chase $, come anywhere close to being all conference in their new leagues? Brin was probably close but I don't blame him for leaving although I think he would have excelled in Wilson's system here. I'm thinking more on Goodlow and Wright and the OL dude that went to Auburn? Wonder how he'll feel after Monty gets fired by Hugh because that whole thing didn't really work out.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Awesome, so proud for Ben ......of all the OSU players than transferred last year he was the one I hated to see leave the most. I totally understood why he left and said at the time I thought he could be an all conference player....he is the prime example of a guy who if he had Been 4 inches taller he would have been recruited by everyone....I know he finished as a hurricane, but in my book he is a Cowboy for ever
Kid deserves success, I hope he continues to do well in life

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT