ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Babb

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001
As we approach tonight’s game with a new coach and staff and a renewed interest in our team and program, I’ve been thinking of Bill and what he meant to TU and the various programs.

He was a tremendous fan and an even better person. I know he would be super excited for tonight’s kickoff. Maybe it’s just that I’m getting older, but I’ve been thinking of Bill and his hospitality of having tailgating parties at his place before games.

I met so many wonderful fans, and many of you are still on the boards cheering our teams on. Bill was always so kind and hospitable to me and many others. I don’t get to drive down for games anymore due to family obligations, but I’m always excited for the games, more so this year.

I know Bill’s TU spirit is alive and present in all those who knew him. Here’s a shoutout to Bill, before the 1st game of a new and better era for Tulsa football. I’m sure he has converted St Peter and many saints and angels into Tulsa fans and he’ll be watching the game with them from his perfect Catbird seat.

We miss you Bill, but will never forget you.

Bill was a good friend.

Several times last night, I could have sworn that I saw him in the plaza. Wishful thinking, I know.

Bill took wicked joy in introducing me anonymously to people from the board and watching their reactions. He would tell me their handle and purposefully wait ten or 15 minutes before using mine. Reactions were priceless. He and Fan even put a placard on his garden shed and called it Noble's doghouse.. good times.

I miss my friend.

Bill would be very pleased that we are now on a 3 game winning streak.

My kids used to wonder if we were related as we spent so much time together at the games. I never made it to a tailgate though. I hear they were quite an event.
I’m still in awe of the pictures in his house.
Dude had pics of him with so many people of importance, including Presidents.

Yet, he was such a humble and genuine human that touched so many people.

You’re right. I was amazed to at his pics with famous people but he would never brag about having known them. I miss him for many things, including his tailgates, but mostly for spreading his wise thoughts on this board. He would defuse many of the verbal arguments we have today and make those involved feeling good about it.

He would have made a great statesman, I mean he WAS a great statesman. He could tell you to STFU and have you thanking him for it. I really wish everyone that posts on ITS could have known him.

Those tailgates were the greatest. I met the greatest TU fans and greatest people there. I just wish I could recall everyone’s name and their handle here. I remember a few but wish I could remember all.

The tailgates were long ago but at times seems like yesterday. Damon, I remember your kids were young and are now adults. Some people are no longer active on the boards, like Maria and Lesley. But I recall many of them and am fortunate to have had great times with everyone.

Thanks for reminding me of his pics. It brings back many remembrances of Bill and others.

You’re right. I was amazed to at his pics with famous people but he would never brag about having known them. I miss him for many things, including his tailgates, but mostly for spreading his wise thoughts on this board. He would defuse many of the verbal arguments we have today and make those involved feeling good about it.

He would have made a great statesman, I mean he WAS a great statesman. He could tell you to STFU and have you thanking him for it. I really wish everyone that posts on ITS could have known him.

Those tailgates were the greatest. I met the greatest TU fans and greatest people there. I just wish I could recall everyone’s name and their handle here. I remember a few but wish I could remember all.

The tailgates were long ago but at times seems like yesterday. Damon, I remember your kids were young and are now adults. Some people are no longer active on the boards, like Maria and Lesley. But I recall many of them and am fortunate to have had great times with everyone.

Thanks for reminding me of his pics. It brings back many remembrances of Bill and others.
He sold me a car raffle ticket!

Reactions: Bill Lowery

Your comments are so right.
We could really use him to defuse some of the crap that is on the Basketball, Football and Hurricane Alley boards. It's mainly a handfull of posters I won't mention, but they have taken some of the joy out of ITS for me.

I miss Maria, Lesley and several other's who no longer post on ITS.

Your comments are so right.
We could really use him to defuse some of the crap that is on the Basketball, Football and Hurricane
Alley boards. It's mainly a handfull of posters I won't mention, but they have taken some of the joy
out of ITS for me... Miss Maria, Lesley and several other's who no longer post on ITS.
Agree! Trouble with a democracy is that the other guy gets a turn..And should...If he doesn't,
then the democracy disappears....we have gone thru several iterations of that, and it has never
left us freer,wiser, or as well off economically.....There's a lesson there somewhere!

Last edited:
Never met him in person in that I am not one to socialize a lot. But his work on this board was impeccable. It was a big loss.

Wasn't his son frequenting the board for a while?

Reactions: TU 1978
Never met him in person in that I am not one to socialize a lot. But his work on this board was impeccable. It was a big loss.

Wasn't his son frequenting the board for a while?

Yes, Son of Bird.

Reactions: TU 1978
Just now seeing this thread -- awesome to read all these memories. Bill helped in so many ways. He volunteered to moderate the ITS message boards and was the best ever to do it. I sat in his living room many times chatting about ITS, football, life and everything in between. And those photos in his house -- made me think he was a secret agent or something. Lol. He was part of a group of older guys that were at every football practice...can't remember what they called their group, but it had a nickname. Players loved him, coaches loved him. I remember him working at QT when I was attending TU. I'm sure we bought beer from him many a time.

Great friend and great man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT