ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s team

My granddaughter plays freshman high school bball. Gotta love it.
I saw research that kids playing team sports has all kinds of positive effects on life achievement as adults - and the effects are bigger for girls than boys. Sports is a pretty good antidote for things later that hold girls back. So when I see people bitching because we can’t have a men’s golf team because of Title IX, I have zero sympathy. Universities should be about more than Box scores, and giving up the chance for some golfers to finish 23rd at the Little Rock Open to have a greater impact on people’s lives and society seems like a no brainer.

currently 5th in the AAC. A game out of 4th. They’re very inconsistent but they’ve won some games on the road. :)
Sounds like they were dealing with an injury to a key player but she is now back and they’ve been paying better. They still go into these ridiculous scoring droughts though.

I feel like Matilda is on 6’3” impact player away from challenging USF and UCF for 2nd and 3rd in the conference (as long as Geno is at UCONN no one else is coming close to winning this conference).

As for the golf team, it was not a title IX casualty. TU was well over the required amount of $ for women’s sports and equality. The golf team was an overall university budget casualty.

And they had the money to reinstate the program immediately from donors. Gragg would not listen. Too much effort involved.

And they had the money to reinstate the program immediately from donors. Gragg would not listen. Too much effort involved.
That’s remarkably stupid but somehow I’m not surprised. The athletics department admin team seems to never miss a chance to aim small. It’s like they swing for the fences with Haith and struck out so the lesson they learned is not to think big.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
Not only was there private donor support to bring back the Men’s golf program, but there was also support from local golf courses in Tulsa to help the team out with costs.

Gragg is pretty on-record as saying that he would never make the decision to cut a sport. As always, look higher.

My granddaughter plays freshman high school bball. Gotta love it.
I saw research that kids playing team sports has all kinds of positive effects on life achievement as adults - and the effects are bigger for girls than boys. Sports is a pretty good antidote for things later that hold girls back. So when I see people bitching because we can’t have a men’s golf team because of Title IX, I have zero sympathy. Universities should be about more than Box scores, and giving up the chance for some golfers to finish 23rd at the Little Rock Open to have a greater impact on people’s lives and society seems like a no brainer.
We were a bit better than 23rd in the Little Rock Open. And I am not happy we dropped it. In fact my ghc donations are piling up waiting for its return.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT