ADVERTISEMENT

GAMES OF INTEREST 11.09.23 - INAUGURAL POST (I know a couple days late)

loca2874

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2008
Stafford, VA
So, I am making my inaugural post today. I wasn’t able to do the post the last three days due to the general election here in Virginia and the need to get some sleep. This is a small one but will do some recapping.

So far, every conference team has won all of their games except for UAB (lost their only contest) and South Florida. The Bulls play their first game today facing South Carolina State, who Tulsa will face very soon for the Missouri MTE. We can scope out both teams in one game.

Every non-Conference opponent lost their opening game except for South Carolina State and yooler.

I did enjoy finding out that Abilene Christian beat out Oklahoma State by 5. Serves them right. Lol.

Last night

#10 FAU beat Loyola Chicago on the road 75-62
Jackson State got pummeled by San Diego 87-61
New Mexico toppled the sisters of the poor in Sul Ross State 84-49

Todays Games

There are four games today and SMU playing their third game in 4 days after knocking off the Leathernecks of Western Illinois 90-53. South Florida plays its first contest of the season as we mentioned earlier. Northwestern State, Who probably has the toughest Non-Conference Schedule by far, travels to New Orleans to face Tulane and then the shockers play host to the Hilltoppers.

AND ONE

Mississippi valley State was voted ranked number 1 among the worst colleges that have the lowest return on investments by Finance 101. The school graduates will have to face a negative return on investment of $174,800 over the next 20 years. Tulsa will be facing the Delta Devils in the coming days.

GO TU!!!

Today’s games

TeamRatingTeamRatingTimeTV
South Carolina St.340atSouth Fla.1516:00 p.m.ESPN+
Northwestern St.196atTulane936:00 p.m.ESPN+
Lamar University358atSMU2007:00 p.m.ESPN+
Western Ky.170atWichita St.1146:30 p.m.ESPN+

Fantastic information, but please work on your timeliness. 😁

Also, Western Illinois Leathernecks…man I love historical nicknames like this. I may have to find a t-shirt of theirs to buy.

• Haha
Reactions: loca2874
Fantastic information, but please work on your timeliness. 😁

Also, Western Illinois Leathernecks…man I love historical nicknames like this. I may have to find a t-shirt of theirs to buy.
I will do my best on the timelines. lol

I was in the Marines for 9 years and a child of one of my Marines went to Western Illinois and that is when I found out that they are a Marine Corps centered University and that is why they are called the Leathernecks. That is a term used for Marines.

I will do my best on the timelines. lol

I was in the Marines for 9 years and a child of one of my Marines went to Western Illinois and that is when I found out that they are a Marine Corps centered University and that is why they are called the Leathernecks. That is a term used for Marines.
This is what I love about college athletics, stories like this.

Well, I looked up WIU Leatherneck t-shirts and I am very disappointed. Their mascot is a bulldog with a leather collar....not at all the traditional story of the leather collar early Marines wore. They have a mascot that looks like they just did a copy image search on Google. Bummer

I feel like I'm talking to myself here. I will work on that lol

• Haha
Reactions: loca2874
I'm very interested to see how BB King plays tonight vs. SMU.

I woke up this morning and ESPN flipped hometeams to the top of their scoreboard updates instead of the bottom and I'm suddenly having an existential crisis.

Wichita State beat out Western Kentucky 71-61
South Florida tore up South Carolina State 96-52
Tulane handled Northwestern State 88-71

9:50 left in the game SMU is up on Lamar 61-44

Guys,

It’s time to stop focusing on players who aren’t here anymore…seriously. It’s not a good look. It was a 5 win team and everything related to that needs to be not discussed. Time to move on..seriously, focus on the guys who are here.

Guys,

It’s time to stop focusing on players who aren’t here anymore…seriously. It’s not a good look. It was a 5 win team and everything related to that needs to be not discussed. Time to move on..seriously, focus on the guys who are here.
You don't seem to have much problem talking bout Brin. You focus on who you want, we'll focus on who we want. Doesn't look one way or the other. Besides, SMU is in our conference.

Last edited:
You don't seem to have much problem talking bout Brin. You focus on who you want, we'll focus on who we want. Doesn't look one way or the other. Besides, SMU is in our conference.
I rarely talk about Brin…come on. Besides, he was successful here.

Why do we need to focus on players from a 5 win team who clearly wouldn’t see the floor here anymore?

Mind your own business. We are curious and it's no business of yours if we are. They are former players, and we're curious how they do elsewhere. Just like we were curious last year about players that left.

BB Knight didn't get starter minutes last night. He was on track to be the leading scorer again if he got starter minutes. He seems to be doing well with the change of venue, and another years experience.

Reactions: ctt8410
Mind your own business. We are curious and it's no business of yours if we are. They are former players, and we're curious how they do elsewhere. Just like we were curious last year about players that left.
And playing for a really low level program.

Cool story brah.

• Love
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Guys,

Last year doesn’t just disappear from the record books if we pretend the players don’t exist. There’s many legitimate reasons to care about how they’re doing. Some of them have a TU degree, all of them were players we had some personal investment in for some period of time.

For me, it’s illuminating and instructive to see how players develop in their college careers. And it informs my opinions on how this coaching staff evaluates talent.

And for some guys, a little schadenfreude from time to time is fun too.

Last year doesn’t just disappear from the record books if we pretend the players don’t exist. There’s many legitimate reasons to care about how they’re doing. Some of them have a TU degree, all of them were players we had some personal investment in for some period of time.

For me, it’s illuminating and instructive to see how players develop in their college careers. And it informs my opinions on how this coaching staff evaluates talent.

And for some guys, a little schadenfreude from time to time is fun too.
And we got a local that I still care about seeing how he develops.(Pritchard)

So far Pritchard, Selebangue, Knight, Griffin, & Dalger have done relatively well albeit against some poorer competition.(with a few negative caveats on their decent performances) While Betson, Special K, and SGC have not. Special K continued starting, with almost zero stats again tonight.

There aren't that many things that shock me on who performed well. The biggest surprise for me is Knight. He looks like he might have made a leap that I wasn't necessarily expecting.

Not even gonna check on Chukwu right now. Probably not ever gonna check on Embry.

Last edited:
Special K continued starting, with almost zero stats again tonight.
Not fantastic numbers, but he probably had his best game of his career in a Monmouth win over West Virginia. He had 7 pts, 6 reb, 1 stl, and 1 blk. The game before that against a no name he was 0-9 shooting with 0 pts though.

And I'll be rooting him all his entire career. He went through A LOT while at TU, not just in terms of injuries, but with life. His family was all still in Ukraine when the war started.

Not fantastic numbers, but he probably had his best game of his career in a Monmouth win over West Virginia. He had 7 pts, 6 reb, 1 stl, and 1 blk. The game before that against a no name he was 0-9 shooting with 0 pts though.

And I'll be rooting him all his entire career. He went through A LOT while at TU, not just in terms of injuries, but with life. His family was all still in Ukraine when the war started.
And graduated too right?

Sam's comments at Wyoming are beyond disappointing. He needs to grow up.

You reversed his rebounds and his points, 6pts and 7 reb.

But I did worse. The one I looked at, he had 2 pts or reb(can't remember which) and nothing else in his stat box. It must have been from early in the game. I know the game was over when I looked, but it gave me an incomplete box score somehow. I wouldn't have said he didn't do much if I had seen that box score. By far, that's not zero stats. Happy for him. He is progressing well.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT