ADVERTISEMENT

Wichita State game thread

I won’t be a full time resident here in the near future but I hope you support the program for with attendance and donations,
attend every NCAA game, and endure every ORU game in the dreadful Mabee Center.

I won’t be a full time resident here in the near future but I hope you support the program for with attendance and donations,
Going to Florida?

I’m not sold on Barnes. He plays smaller than his athletic ability. Can’t handle the ball well.

I would keep Haggerty (will probably leave), Willis, Archie, Reed (he’s young), Garcia (kind of), and Keita (tall).
Haggerty isn't leaving. I can't take this board anymore. Deuces.

Last edited:
WTH was that about? You don’t know his future plans. Hell…I would wager Haggerty doesn’t know his future plans. Far too many unknowns at this time.
You never know about kids, but Konkol has been a big Haggerty believer even before he went to TCU and the players love Konkol's honesty, work ethic, and caring attitude that is hard to find in college coaches today.

Reactions: dougheffking
You never know about kids, but Konkol has been a big Haggerty believer even before he went to TCU and the players love Konkol's honesty, work ethic, and caring attitude that is hard to find in college coaches today.
Correct. He's building a culture and that's going to get a lot of kids to stay. I know it's not the same thing, but FAU kept EVERY SINGLE PLAYER from their team last year, and several of those kids were offered a bag. Cut the negativity.

Correct. He's building a culture and that's going to get a lot of kids to stay. I know it's not the same thing, but FAU kept EVERY SINGLE PLAYER from their team last year, and several of those kids were offered a bag. Cut the negativity.
I took exception with you calling a longtime and damn good poster “moronic”. I personally believe Haggerty likely stays based on what has been stated. However, none of us have any idea at this point. Reminds me of the Ollie Gordon situation at OSU this fall/winter. There was speculation and talk on the OSU board everyday about the possibility of him moving on. No one ever called any of those speculating derogatory names. Just thought it was uncalled for.

Let's be honest here, I definitely think FAU offered its own bag. It might have been a Prada knockoff but it was still a bag. I bet it was a pretty good knock off at that.

Let's be honest here, I definitely think FAU offered its own bag. It might have been a Prada knockoff but it was still a bag. I bet it was a pretty good knock off at that.
Sure, and we are going to be offering a pretty good bag here as well. People wanting to fire Konkol are out of their minds.

I see 4 to 6 wins in non con & 6-10 in conf. Maybe we might string in a win or two more in non con if we play a really weak sched. My hope is a 14 win team.

I think you all are selling us WAY too short. 10 wins? Goodness guys.
This you?

And this:
Look at Southern Miss this past season and a VERY comparable situation. I don't see us being an under .500 team.

I'm sure there will be some growing pains, but at least the stench of Haith's program is finally out the door.
I love the enthusiasm and wouldn't usually call anyone out for being a bit too rosy, but considering you've called a number of posters idiots and morons for disagreeing, and have generally been argumentative when people post what turned out to be pretty good assessments, I think you owe a few people some apologies.

To be clear, I'm not wanting to fire Konkol. But I'm not sold on him yet either. He had a good recruiting class, but I'm disappointed in the lack of real progress over the course of the season. The program is still in a very dicey spot and he hasn't proven himself as capable of having especially good playcalling, or of developing talent and good teamplay upwards.

There are a number of good reasons why that might be the case and most reasonable people would agree that he gets (at least) another year. But until he proves himself as capable of all the things required to bring us out of the cellar, you can't fault people for wondering out loud if he's the right guy.

How did you manage when we played an NCAA game, several NIT games and even a few home games at the Mabee Center? Those were all very popular.

This you?

And this:

I love the enthusiasm and wouldn't usually call anyone out for being a bit too rosy, but considering you've called a number of posters idiots and morons for disagreeing, and have generally been argumentative when people post what turned out to be pretty good assessments, I think you owe a few people some apologies.

To be clear, I'm not wanting to fire Konkol. But I'm not sold on him yet either. He had a good recruiting class, but I'm disappointed in the lack of real progress over the course of the season. The program is still in a very dicey spot and he hasn't proven himself as capable of having especially good playcalling, or of developing talent and good teamplay upwards.

There are a number of good reasons why that might be the case and most reasonable people would agree that he gets (at least) another year. But until he proves himself as capable of all the things required to bring us out of the cellar, you can't fault people for wondering out loud if he's the right guy.
Thanks for reminding me where a lot of the preseason predictions were Clong.

Gmoney4ww was pretty close w/ his prediction considering the source.
(Gmoney doesn't usually predict too well.)

GoBig10 was sadly off with his prediction of 20 wins. I so wanted him to be on the money.

I.I. was likely 100% correct that we would have at least 2 CUSA teams in the top 5. (3 at present)

More preseason predictions.

Last edited:
Reactions: chito_and_leon
Thanks for reminding me where a lot of the preseason predictions were Clong.

Gmoney4ww was pretty close w/ his prediction considering the source.
(Gmoney doesn't usually predict too well.)

GoBig10 was sadly off with his prediction of 20 wins. I so wanted him to be on the money.

I.I. was likely 100% correct that we would have at least 2 CUSA teams in the top 5. (3 at present)

More preseason predictions.
I'm proud to say that my prediction was exactly 180 degrees bass ackwards. Like literally.

Last edited:
This you?

And this:

Konkol seems to be on path for a "do not renew contract after year 5" fate. He was a very good but not great coach in a bad conference, which would track to about average in the AAC. Based on current trajectory, that still seems like a reasonable guess for him unless he finds a couple new gears. We knew when we hired him that it was a stretch, hopefully he finds those gears because other than on court results, he seems like the absolutely perfect TU coach.

We gave that dbag Wojick 15 years (felt like it anyway), I think you err on the side of giving Konkol a little more time than a little less and try to help him find a way to make it work.

I took exception with you calling a longtime and damn good poster “moronic”. I personally believe Haggerty likely stays based on what has been stated. However, none of us have any idea at this point. Reminds me of the Ollie Gordon situation at OSU this fall/winter. There was speculation and talk on the OSU board everyday about the possibility of him moving on. No one ever called any of those speculating derogatory names. Just thought it was uncalled for.
never underestimate the value of the ignore function.

Konkol seems to be on path for a "do not renew contract after year 5" fate. He was a very good but not great coach in a bad conference, which would track to about average in the AAC. Based on current trajectory, that still seems like a reasonable guess for him unless he finds a couple new gears. We knew when we hired him that it was a stretch, hopefully he finds those gears because other than on court results, he seems like the absolutely perfect TU coach.

We gave that dbag Wojick 15 years (felt like it anyway), I think you err on the side of giving Konkol a little more time than a little less and try to help him find a way to make it work.
I'm hoping the nil gives him the edge to get that big we so desperately needed this year. A pretty good coach without nil becomes average in today's environment.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Konkol's situation is nothing like the recruiting situation of Wojcik and Haith. They did not have the instant transfer portal and NIL was not officially legal. I think many coaches even the good ones are reassessing their vocation.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Konkol's situation is nothing like the recruiting situation of Wojcik and Haith. They did not have the instant transfer portal and NIL was not officially legal. I think many coaches even the good ones are reassessing their vocation.

The schools that have any kind of nil funding has shrank the pool of universities where u can start your career at, and have any kind of chance at getting your career off the ground.

The schools that have any kind of nil funding has shrank the pool of universities where u can start your career at, and have any kind of chance at getting your career off the ground.
IDK, the schools that had a ton of resources before (P5) still have a ton of resources and schools with limited resources before still have limited resources. There have been massive discrepancies in resources for schools for years. NIL maybe realigns who is a have and who is a have not (Saban complaining about resource disadvantages is hilarious), and probably means coaches need different skills, but I don't see it making a lot of difference otherwise. I guess Eastern Michigan is unlikely to get a 5* recruit but EMU was unlikely to get that player anyway.

Before SMU had to buy their way into a good conference to get good or break the rules, now they can just directly pay players to get good.

IDK, the schools that had a ton of resources before (P5) still have a ton of resources and schools with limited resources before still have limited resources. There have been massive discrepancies in resources for schools for years. NIL maybe realigns who is a have and who is a have not (Saban complaining about resource disadvantages is hilarious), and probably means coaches need different skills, but I don't see it making a lot of difference otherwise. I guess Eastern Michigan is unlikely to get a 5* recruit but EMU was unlikely to get that player anyway.

Before SMU had to buy their way into a good conference to get good or break the rules, now they can just directly pay players to get good.
I am talking about G5's where most coaches get their start. We are having two different conversations that aren't really interrelated. There are schools out there that find donors to supply the NIL in G5, and those that don't. The pool shrank. There used to be a shot at going to any number of schools and making a name for yourself as a good recruiter, with a good eye for talent in the under recruited, and an ability to coach at a level beyond what others had. But now their is a $ amount on many of those recruits. Now to have a chance, you have to go somewhere like UAB, for example. Not all G5 programs are providing much or any NIL. So I don't know who you are talking with.

I am talking about G5's where most coaches get their start. We are having two different conversations that aren't really interrelated. There are schools out there that find donors to supply the NIL in G5, and those that don't. The pool shrank. There used to be a shot at going to any number of schools and making a name for yourself as a good recruiter, with a good eye for talent in the under recruited, and an ability to coach at a level beyond what others had. But now their is a $ amount on many of those recruits. Now to have a chance, you have to go somewhere like UAB, for example. Not all G5 programs are providing much or any NIL. So I don't know who you are talking with.
There have always been differences in the "product" that schools offered students, better locker room, travel, nutrition, etc. It's always been harder to win at Illinois St. than at Memphis. That hierarchy might be a little more stratified, though I bet the amount of NIL for kids at that level is pretty nominal. It's not like Illinois will suddenly start winning recruiting battles that it previously would have lost to Illinois State. If you can get kids to come to Illinois St. that let you win your conference and make the tourney, you'll move up, just like now.

There have always been differences in the "product" that schools offered students, better locker room, travel, nutrition, etc. It's always been harder to win at Illinois St. than at Memphis. That hierarchy might be a little more stratified, though I bet the amount of NIL for kids at that level is pretty nominal. It's not like Illinois will suddenly start winning recruiting battles that it previously would have lost to Illinois State. If you can get kids to come to Illinois St. that let you win your conference and make the tourney, you'll move up, just like now.
Still two different conversations. Whatevah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT