College Sports Madness: Cure Bowl vs. LA-Lafayette

Sporting News: Birmingham Bowl vs Vanderbilt

USA Today: Birmingham Bowl vs South Carolina

Athlon: Boca Raton Bowl vs Western Kentucky

Fox Sports/Mandel: Miami Beach Bowl vs Ohio

Orlando Sentinel: St Petersburg Bowl vs Mississippi State

NBC Sports: Miami Beach Bowl vs Toledo

Last edited:
I think most of the projections have as much credibiliry as a monkey on a typewriter.

Does anyone check the accuracy of the projections like they do with March Madness?

TU/Arkansas in Shreveport would sell out I think. I think a lot of TU fans would make that trip and Arkansas fans always travel well.

Would they want us two years running though? In our favor we have the locals an exciting game last year.

One Old Dominion fan said they're hearing it will be an AAC opponent, maybe Tulsa.

The Bahamas matchup was originally AAC vs MAC. I can't tell which slot ODU (CUSA) took.

I did see that one of the projections swapped us to the New Orleans bowl in the CUSA spot.

The Bahamas matchup was originally AAC vs MAC. I can't tell which slot ODU (CUSA) took.

I did see that one of the projections swapped us to the New Orleans bowl in the CUSA spot.

The 2016 Boca Raton Bowl will be played on Tuesday, Dec. 20 (7 pm ET on ESPN) from Florida Atlantic University Stadium bringing together teams from the Mid- American Conference, Conference USA and the American Athletic Conference.

It's any of three. CUSA/AAC, AAC/MAC, MAC/CUSA

Take me back to Shreveport somehow. That was one hell of a cheap pregame tailgate.

The 2016 Boca Raton Bowl will be played on Tuesday, Dec. 20 (7 pm ET on ESPN) from Florida Atlantic University Stadium bringing together teams from the Mid- American Conference, Conference USA and the American Athletic Conference.

It's any of three. CUSA/AAC, AAC/MAC, MAC/CUSA

I'm not sure what the conference tie-ins for the Boca Raton Bowl have to do with the Bahamas Bowl.

According to their website, Bahamas was CUSA vs MAC in 2014 & 2015 and was scheduled to be AAC vs MAC in 2016. I'm happy to let CUSA have it so our teams can go somewhere else.

Bahamas Bowl is out. Eastern Michigan has accepted invite to it, so it is them and Old Dominion.

This means AAC is confident we will get one of the secondary slots if we are allowing them to give up the spot.

This means AAC is confident we will get one of the secondary slots if we are allowing them to give up the spot.

Maybe not. Dropping Bahamas still leaves the conference with 7 tie ins - Birmingham, St Pete, Miami Beach, Military, Armed Forces, Cure (Orlando) and Boca.

With 7 bowl eligible teams, the AAC would have to give up another slot in order to get a secondary tie-in.

Last edited:
Western Kentucky would be a shootout. I think they play less defense than we do and they sling it all over the yard.

still thinking there may be a surprise trade offs with 5-7s (I think there are at least 4 that most get invitations) to get TU closer where more fans can attend. Only the Armed Forces is regional and Navy, barring a NYD6, has it locked. I hope our league doesn't allow a 9-3 team to play a 5-7 even if it is a brand name.

There could be anywhere from 2 to 4 teams that get a bowl bid with a losing record.

Here is the list in order of priority: North Texas, Mississippi State, Texas, Northern Illinois

If Texas declines the bid and four slots need to be filled, the Cal bears are next in line. Todd Graham's pitiful Arizona State team would be in line behind them.

There could be anywhere from 2 to 4 teams that get a bowl bid with a losing record.

Here is the list in order of priority: North Texas, Mississippi State, Texas, Northern Illinois

If Texas declines the bid and four slots need to be filled, the Cal bears are next in line. Todd Graham's pitiful Arizona State team would be in line behind them.
Baylor is also bowl eligible but I keep hearing they are likely not to accept a bowl bid. Players are done with Grobe and the administration and are still pissed that Briles was fired. Not only would that add another spot for a 5 win team, it would reduce the number of bowl eligible teams from the Big XII to 5 to go towards their auto tie-ins. Does anyone know how that works? Do the lower crud bowls get stuck with the 5 win teams and the better bowls that the P5s are tied to have to take the 6 win teams before they can skip over them and go to the 5 win teams from that conference?

Just something about getting a bowl bid with a losing record screams wrong to me. As much as I like to watch football and see TU in bowls they need to can about 20 of them.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
So a bowl is forced to pick North Texas over UT because of priority? Talk about a bad day.

Baylor is also bowl eligible but I keep hearing they are likely not to accept a bowl bid. Players are done with Grobe and the administration and are still pissed that Briles was fired. Not only would that add another spot for a 5 win team, it would reduce the number of bowl eligible teams from the Big XII to 5 to go towards their auto tie-ins. Does anyone know how that works? Do the lower crud bowls get stuck with the 5 win teams and the better bowls that the P5s are tied to have to take the 6 win teams before they can skip over them and go to the 5 win teams from that conference?
Yes, six win teams must be placed in bowls before the losers select theirs.

Bahamas Bowl is out. Eastern Michigan has accepted invite to it, so it is them and Old Dominion.
This makes sense. Neither team will travel and both are probably willing to take the budgetary loss to participate.

So a bowl is forced to pick North Texas over UT because of priority? Talk about a bad day.
That "priority" is based on graduation rates and academics. If you're taking teams with losing records then at least reward the ones taking care of business in the classroom. Evens the playing field a bit.

S. Mandel of Fox Sports is typical of the clueless bowl match-up pickers. The guy who has us versus Ohio in the Miami Beach Bowl also has Houston v. App St. in the St. Pete Bowl and North Texas v. Navy in the Armed Forces. If this clown's picks come true, TU,UH & Navy will be fighting for the most points scored in Bowl history.(including our record setting performance against some hapless MAC team-Ball St or Bowling Green-can't remember). TU Football: 1st,last,always!

Last edited:
S. Mandel of Fox Sports is typical of the clueless bowl match-up pickers. The guy who has us versus Ohio in the Miami Beach Bowl also has Houston v. App St. in the St. Pete Bowl and North Texas v. Navy in the Armed Forces. If this clown's picks come true, TU,UH & Navy will be fighting for the most points scored in Bowl history.(including our record setting performance against some hapless MAC team-Ball St or Bowling Green-can't remember). TU Football: 1st,last,always!
Bowling Green, 63-7.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT