ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT Player Pool Discussion

Me either! Let's not forget Eric Palmer-Brown. But let us forget John Brooks, the player of the year for Hoffenheim! And these guys will only get better before 2026. All Beer?halter has to do is play our best players & backups, particularly in the Copa America. Of course, we want to check out some youngsters for potential as backups in some of the friendlies coming up. But not the ridiculous amount of tryouts (over 60 guys) we saw in the last cycle.

BTW, has anyone else connected the bizarre rehire of Beer?halter with the uber bizarre hire of him initially? To review, only 2 interviews three years ago and after 13 months without a head coach, Beer?halter gets hired. This time, the totally dysfunctional USSF hires some outside firm to recommend a Sports Director who will then recommend a new head coach. Our new Sporting Director, with all kinds of futbol experience in England and Europe, some 6 months after the WC, rehires you know who. I've not heard of any outsiders getting an interview. Maybe there was interviews, but guys like Thierry Henri & Patrick Viera, even Jesse Marsch, didn't get a smell.

And what's with asking the players who they want to be head coach? Is this done anywhere else on the planet with MNT's or club teams? I doubt it. All I can do is hope that Beer?halter selects the very best players available for important games, rather like he did a couple days before the WC. I'm rambling on.........so will shut up now.
Charlie Davies reported that Berhalter was hired because he was the best available manager. USSF can say that because (his words not mine) the salary that USSF was willing to offer would not exceed a comparable salary of the women’s manager.

So there were a lot of hard passes on the opportunity. If you believe Charlie Davies.

In other media it’s been eluded to that even Berhalter initially passed on the job because they would not meet his salary demands and he had a better offer in LigaMX.

As for player input on a coach, it’s not unusual in the international game, especially in places like Africa where players aren’t always willing to fly home 6 times a year for someone they don’t like or respect.

In reality, the manager of an international team is pretty irrelevant given today’s tactics and athleticism. They can lose you games but never win them. Berhalter by his own admission often goes days without a full day in the office.

In my opinion, this whole thing is a cluster and between the team politics and world politics in the marketing of the team and meaningless competitions to manage the politics of CONCACAF, I’ve really lost interest.

Reactions: quincy101
Aye, there’s the rub. I think we have the personnel to get to at least the semis on home turf with a decent draw and I don’t want Berhalter to screw it up by saying “we’re in good shape I’ll just start Acosta, Arriola and long for the round of 16 to get them some work”.

In reality, the manager of an international team is pretty irrelevant given today’s tactics and athleticism. They can lose you games but never win them. Berhalter by his own admission often goes days without a full day in the office.
As for me, I suspect that Beer?halter knew from the gitgo that the job was his, just like his first hire that wasn't made official for 13 months. Dude is perfect for the USSF. Had some success, despite jacking around with lineups; is apparently liked by many, not all, players; has moments of sanity every 4 years such as his lineups for the WC; and finally, did a fine job of turning many players into social justice warriors, which pleased the brass at the USSF to no end. What's not to like?

Reactions: HuffyCane
Some of us have not forgotten him leaving the best players for a 4-4-2 home, then five days before the England game abruptly trying to install it, leaving players confused and angry.

He also tends to select down roster players who just aren’t very good in unscripted moments.

I could go on.

Aye, there’s the rub. I think we have the personnel to get to at least the semis on home turf with a decent draw and I don’t want Berhalter to screw it up by saying “we’re in good shape I’ll just start Acosta, Arriola and long for the round of 16 to get them some work”.
If Berhalter puts them on the roster in 3 years, he should be fired and we can let Callaghan run the ship in the WC. Aaron Long should never suit up for the US again. Acosta maybe but I wouldn't and Arriola's time is done with the plethora of talent in that side of the field.

As for me, I suspect that Beer?halter knew from the gitgo that the job was his, just like his first hire that wasn't made official for 13 months. Dude is perfect for the USSF. Had some success, despite jacking around with lineups; is apparently liked by many, not all, players; has moments of sanity every 4 years such as his lineups for the WC; and finally, did a fine job of turning many players into social justice warriors, which pleased the brass at the USSF to no end. What's not to like?
I'd be more inclined to let Bruce Arena run things at the WC. He is a very good tactical manager and if he was ever given this level of talent, he'd run the damn table. He's done a masterful job at New England despite always losing his best players to overseas transfers.

I'd be more inclined to let Bruce Arena run things at the WC. He is a very good tactical manager and if he was ever given this level of talent, he'd run the damn table. He's done a masterful job at New England despite always losing his best players to overseas transfers.
A far better coach than Berhalter, but that's not saying much.

Nice Gold Cup draw last night. The lineup cements the idea that Miazga and Long are no longer serious candidates for the primary USMNT roster. I will say Christian Roldan played well, the Tolkin kid played well. I like Sonora but he makes some poor decisions on his passes always trying to fit balls into windows that aren't there. Zendejas has some pace but he didn't get enough touches. Ferreira was not very good last night. Jordan Morris was decent.

I like Cade Cowell as a player a lot and you can see he can play at this level. And Brandon Vazquez scored the lone goal on a gift from a Jamaican defender. The US was actually unlucky to not have won the game as Andre Blake kept the reggae boys in the game.

Jamaica's lone goal came off a set piece where Miazga kept half the Jamaican attackers inside and Aaron Long just stopped assuming Jamaica was offside.

I thought we were unremarkable
We clearly send the B side. Every other nation sent their best. Mexico at least sent the same squad that played the Nation's League semis. It's like their A- side but the guys you e been used to seeing for El Tri, Herrera, Dos Santos, Chicharito, Jimenez, etc. are probably not going to be in the mix for 2026 due to age or lack of form. And they're still going to ride Ochoa until his arms fall off b/c they literally have no one behind him capable of being that level of player. I haven't even heard of anyone that is promising for them like the US has Slonina.

Right now they're beating Honduras 2-0 but after the 2nd goal Honduras has carried play and Mexico has resorted to fouling a lot. How Antuna stays on the field and hasn't drawn a couple yellows or even a red at this point.

The US is up to #11 in the latest FIFA world rankings. 3 spots ahead of Mexico at this point. Canada is at #45. Not sure how they are so low. Well below Costa Rica and Wales which doesn't make sense to me.

The US is up to #11 in the latest FIFA world rankings. 3 spots ahead of Mexico at this point. Canada is at #45. Not sure how they are so low. Well below Costa Rica and Wales which doesn't make sense to me.
We were #4 in the weeks leading up to the 2006 World Cup.

And I think it was 2010 where the US ended up #9 or 10 leading into the World Cup when #8 would have gotten them a group #1 slot and a much better chance to not be in an insane group. Not that I have any idea how FIFA rankings work. Is it like tennis where games you played in the last year earn points based on whether it was an actual comp vs friendly and old results start dropping off? Or is it arbitrary like AP basketball rankings?

We were #4 in the weeks leading up to the 2006 World Cup.
And I'll be honest, I don't remember that World Cup at all. Can't remember where it was held, or even how we did. I remember 2002 was Korea/Japan and watching games at 4am and that 2010 was in South Africa

And I'll be honest, I don't remember that World Cup at all. Can't remember where it was held, or even how we did. I remember 2002 was Korea/Japan and watching games at 4am and that 2010 was in South Africa
I think Arena was still there and we sucked.

I think Arena was still there and we sucked.
Correct. Germany. Most people only remember the Zidane head butt, The best argument for Berhalter is/was that he is American, has a young group and they exceeded expectations and are turning into recognized international stars. The best argument against Berhalter is that we had that before in 2006, went into the tournament ranked #4 and a wild dark horse to win it, would have lost every game except for a fluke own goal, only had four shots on goal (two were free kicks) and only scored a single meaningless goal (Dempsey versus Ghana). We were the worst team in the tournament and finished dead last, despite tying Italy, who lost to France in the final.

The parallels don’t end there. Arena played like 50 different players in the qualifiers. No joke. Six or seven different starting formations before picking a squad that didn’t match his formation choice for the first game. Sound familiar? He played Ben Olson as a defensive substitute against tourney favorites Italy. Except it was the first game in Olsen’s life he ever subbed in and he had never played defender at any level nor had he ever even practiced the position. Ask any Under 12 coach about the importance of communication and cohesion of a backline that only comes with playing together.

The only good to come out of the 2006 tournament: Donovan was put in his place as the hub of the team going forward but humbled by poor play (Imagine that — a young creative player complaining in the media about playing time but not excelling when it is given and not really fitting into the squad overall, sound familiar?); Assistant Coach Bob Bradley was named head coach; aging players who brought us to past glory were told to hang it up (Reyna, McBride, Pope).

Last edited:
Correct. Germany. Most people only remember the Zidane head butt, The best argument for Berhalter is/was that he is American, has a young group and they exceeded expectations and are turning into recognized international stars. The best argument against Berhalter is that we had that before in 2006, went into the tournament ranked #4 and a wild dark horse to win it, would have lost every game except for a fluke own goal, only had four shots on goal (two were free kicks) and only scored a single meaningless goal (Dempsey versus Ghana). We were the worst team in the tournament and finished dead last, despite tying Italy, who lost to France in the final.

The parallels don’t end there. Arena played like 50 different players in the qualifiers. No joke. Six or seven different starting formations before picking a squad that didn’t match his formation choice for the first game. Sound familiar? He played Ben Olson as a defensive substitute against tourney favorites Italy. Except it was the first game in Olsen’s life he ever subbed in and he had never played defender at any level nor had he ever even practiced the position. Ask any Under 12 coach about the importance of communication and cohesion of a backline that only comes with playing together.

The only good to come out of the 2006 tournament: Donovan was put in his place as the hub of the team going forward but humbled by poor play (Imagine that — a young creative player complaining in the media about playing time but not excelling when it is given and not really fitting into the squad overall, sound familiar?); Assistant Coach Bob Bradley was named head coach; aging players who brought us to past glory were told to hang it up (Reyna, McBride, Pope).
I didn't realize the US had ever been ranked so high in the FIFA rankings. I am now vaguely recalling how bad we were that summer. And I always hate the US getting drawn into a group with Ghana. So big and physical all the time.
As for how our coaching rotation should go, maybe the US needs to use a Current Head Coach/Assistant Head Coach (Head Coach for the next cycle) system. This way there is continuity moving forward and the only time it gets disrupted is if you have a Klinsmann situation trying to run the program into the ground just to prove a point.

Honestly if Berhalter sees the way the primary squad played in CONCACAF Nations League, just let the group play. Over coaching can only hurt them. We need Pulisic to take a Greg Harrington attitude towards Berhalter and tell him to "Buzz off (pun intended)". This team doens't need to be over coached. They need the coaches to see what's happening and help make adjustments. Coaches try to micromanage games too much in all sports and at all levels. Just let the guys play. 90% of the time the players aren't listening to a thing the coaches are screaming from the sidelines anyway. At the highest levels, the players need extra eyes to help them see what's happening and a little advice on how to adjust. This is where the best GKs help as well. (I've always thought GKs would make the best head coaches of soccer teams but apparently that never really works out....i.e. Brad Friedel in New England).

Weah to Juventus

Pepi and Earnie Stewart to Eindhoven. That club has embraced Americans for 30 years. You can’t tell me it isnt tied to their fans gratitude for Market Garden.

MLS formally inform Everton and Borussia Mönchengladbach that Brandon Vasquez will not be sold until after MLS Cup. At 24, that pretty much ends his chances of Europe on anything but a loan. More MLS nonsense. They want to be a selling league but won’t sell their most valuable commodities when the market demands they do.

How about Musah & Pulisic to AC Milan? I think Musah is close to a done deal & Pulisic has agreed to a salary with Milan. But there are still negotiations between Chelsea & them on xfer fee. Somewhere between 20-25 million euros. Wow, what a bargain CP would be. But he would likely play forward on the right with Rafael Leao on the left. And don't forget the big frog in the middle who has at least one more year with Milan and who worked so well with CP at Chelsea, Monsieur Olivier Giroud.

With Musah in the attacking midfield, I don't think Milan would have any trouble scoring next season. And very important...our Yanks will play in the Champions League where CP generally excels & Musah will get valuable experience. Hopefully, a deal for Pulisic & Musah will come soon.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Jedi has signed a 5 year contract extension with Fulham. My guess is they sell him to a big club for a big payday in the next 2-3 years.

Speaking of Fulham, Yunus Musah is no longer considered by AC Milan, but is on the radar of Fulham. Pulisic is, however, officially at Milan, pending an OK physical. Pulisic bought for around $23 mill, some $50 mill less than Chelsea paid to Dortmund. Wow! Just wish he could play forward on the left wing, but Leao is solid there. Musah to Fulham would be fantastic.

Speaking of Fulham, Yunus Musah is no longer considered by AC Milan, but is on the radar of Fulham. Pulisic is, however, officially at Milan, pending an OK physical. Pulisic bought for around $23 mill, some $50 mill less than Chelsea paid to Dortmund. Wow! Just wish he could play forward on the left wing, but Leao is solid there. Musah to Fulham would be fantastic.
Manager at AC Milan said he plans to use Pulisic at the 10. Will be interesting

Interesting game against our northern neighbors last night. I want Alexei Lalas' job considering I ranted the entire 1st half about how no one looked to go forward with the ball last night, always taking the easy route backwards. Lalas railed on the US at halftime and again at the end of the game about needing to keep their heads up and look to go forward. Mihailovic and Zendejas made some fantastic runs towards space down the left last night only to have the ball go backwards. Our defenders were simply dreadful with the ball last night. Robinson, Neal, Reynolds, and Jones were scary when trying to play out of the back, trying to fit passes in where they didn't fit and turning the ball over way too many times in our own defensive 1/3. And Robinson looked like a 10 year old out there last night flailing his arms about in the box. He got away with one handball in the box b/c the ref spotted a foul on Canada leading into the play and waived the handball action off. He got called for another in 2nd half stoppage time allowing Canada to knot it on the PK. US' 1st goal was a peach with a nice ball in from DeJuan Jones onto the head of Brandon Vazquez. Ferreira was good last night. While he didn't score, he did a lot of good things, including moving into the MF when Vazquez came in. Busio was good, but his defending left a lot to be desired.

Game goes to PKs. And the Canadian who scored on the original PK, went to the same exact spot in the shootout and Turner was waiting for it. Of course Vazquez followed by hitting a ball to the moon on his PK. Classic case of changing his mind about what he was going to do at the last moment but not being fully committed to it. Turner saved the 2nd Canadian attempt as well almost looking like he knew where he was going before the player knew. Cade Cowell scored on the US' 2nd attempt. 1-0 US after 2 rounds. Canada scored on their 3rd attempt being just over Turner's fingers. Busio went 3rd for the US and absolutely hammered a ball into the upper 90. Solid, confident. Everything you want from a PK taker. 4th Canadian attempt was good as he sent Turner the wrong direction. Ferreira went 4th for the US and he powered one into the side netting that Dane St. Clair got fingers on but not enough to keep it out. US 3-2 after 4 rounds. 5th Canadian attempt hit the cross bar and came out. US wins the shootout 3-2. Next up is Panama on Wednesday. The US will need to be much better than they were last night. Canada scored on their only 2 shots on frame, one being a PK.

Someone is going to have to clue me in as to why Mexico gets the late start on Wednesday when they played Saturday and the US played the later game last night? Doesn't make sense in terms of recovery.

Manager at AC Milan said he plans to use Pulisic at the 10. Will be interesting
Playing behind "La Grande Grenouille" is a recipe for many goals from both Giroud & CP. It's a position that Pulisic has played many times, most recently in the Nations League.

So, I keep harping on Josh Sargent. With Teemu Pukekki headed to MLS, Sargent should be a regular starter as the center forward. I believe he will score in bunches and maybe force Beer?halter to consider him in the future, (or not). The Canaries have already played an exhibition against a lower division team and Sargent scored.

Last edited:
Playing behind "La Grande Grenouille" is a recipe for many goals from both Giroud & CP. It's a position that Pulisic has played many times, most recently in the Nations League.

So, I keep harping on Josh Sargent. With Teemu Pukekki headed to MLS, Sargent should be a regular starter as the center forward. I believe he will score in bunches and maybe force Beer?halter to consider him in the future, (or not). The Canaries have already played an exhibition against a lower division team and Sargent scored.
I like Sargent a lot because he is a gifted striker, especially in the air, but his commitment to quality defending is rare for a true 9. Right now I like Balogun as the starting 9 moving forward and giving 75 minutes as a starter. After that if the US is still in search of a goal, I think it's Ferreira or Vazquez (I think Vazquez has a ton of talent that no one realizes). If the US is up a goal or two, I think Sargent is the guy that comes in because of his ability to defend and hold the ball up. Pepi is in the mix but I think he needs to show out in the Eredivisie at Eindhoven.

Interesting game against our northern neighbors last night. I want Alexei Lalas' job considering I ranted the entire 1st half about how no one looked to go forward with the ball last night, always taking the easy route backwards. Lalas railed on the US at halftime and again at the end of the game about needing to keep their heads up and look to go forward. Mihailovic and Zendejas made some fantastic runs towards space down the left last night only to have the ball go backwards. Our defenders were simply dreadful with the ball last night. Robinson, Neal, Reynolds, and Jones were scary when trying to play out of the back, trying to fit passes in where they didn't fit and turning the ball over way too many times in our own defensive 1/3. And Robinson looked like a 10 year old out there last night flailing his arms about in the box. He got away with one handball in the box b/c the ref spotted a foul on Canada leading into the play and waived the handball action off. He got called for another in 2nd half stoppage time allowing Canada to knot it on the PK. US' 1st goal was a peach with a nice ball in from DeJuan Jones onto the head of Brandon Vazquez. Ferreira was good last night. While he didn't score, he did a lot of good things, including moving into the MF when Vazquez came in. Busio was good, but his defending left a lot to be desired.

Game goes to PKs. And the Canadian who scored on the original PK, went to the same exact spot in the shootout and Turner was waiting for it. Of course Vazquez followed by hitting a ball to the moon on his PK. Classic case of changing his mind about what he was going to do at the last moment but not being fully committed to it. Turner saved the 2nd Canadian attempt as well almost looking like he knew where he was going before the player knew. Cade Cowell scored on the US' 2nd attempt. 1-0 US after 2 rounds. Canada scored on their 3rd attempt being just over Turner's fingers. Busio went 3rd for the US and absolutely hammered a ball into the upper 90. Solid, confident. Everything you want from a PK taker. 4th Canadian attempt was good as he sent Turner the wrong direction. Ferreira went 4th for the US and he powered one into the side netting that Dane St. Clair got fingers on but not enough to keep it out. US 3-2 after 4 rounds. 5th Canadian attempt hit the cross bar and came out. US wins the shootout 3-2. Next up is Panama on Wednesday. The US will need to be much better than they were last night. Canada scored on their only 2 shots on frame, one being a PK.

Someone is going to have to clue me in as to why Mexico gets the late start on Wednesday when they played Saturday and the US played the later game last night? Doesn't make sense in terms of recovery.
I knew we were in trouble last night when we ended up with Miazga and Long on D in extra time. We were lucky it went to penalties and we had Turner in the net. I’m not feeling good about facing Panama unless these guys get their minds right.

I knew we were in trouble last night when we ended up with Miazga and Long on D in extra time. We were lucky it went to penalties and we had Turner in the net. I’m not feeling good about facing Panama unless these guys get their minds right.
Panama is different than Canada is. I think we get by Panama with relative ease. The finals will be different. We do not have the back 5 capable of playing out of the back vs Mexico's pressure. I like Robinson but he played terribly last night. And Neal and Reynold's didn't help much. We need to look forward and get the ball to Sands and Busio who need to look forward. The not even look to see where defenders are but I am still playing the ball back on a one-touch every time crap has to stop.

Who
Panama is different than Canada is. I think we get by Panama with relative ease. The finals will be different. We do not have the back 5 capable of playing out of the back vs Mexico's pressure. I like Robinson but he played terribly last night. And Neal and Reynold's didn't help much. We need to look forward and get the ball to Sands and Busio who need to look forward. The not even look to see where defenders are but I am still playing the ball back on a one-touch every time crap has to stop.
says we’ll be playing Mexico? If we get past Panama we might face a rematch with the Reggae Boyz.

Only coaching error I’ve seen so far from this guy. He clearly didn’t want to give up possession to minimize break away oppos, but his team was flat, didn’t have the personnel on the field to break down the bunker and they were flat out afraid to go 1v1 and risk loss of possession. Team looked confused and much less talented than they are. Several showed that they have no business with the senior team.

Only coaching error I’ve seen so far from this guy. He clearly didn’t want to give up possession to minimize break away oppos, but his team was flat, didn’t have the personnel on the field to break down the bunker and they were flat out afraid to go 1v1 and risk loss of possession. Team looked confused and much less talented than they are. Several showed that they have no business with the senior team.
Agreed. I think Robinson is an answer at CB for the US but only when paired with Richards or even Walker-Zimmerman. Neither of the outside backs is a serious consideration IMO. They lack the pace and technical skill consistency Jedi or Dest or even Scally and Yedlin possess. Busio maybe down the road but he needs to get a lot more consistent with his 1st touch and accuracy in passing. The lack of accuracy in passing from the entire group is 2-3 notches below the A team the US runs out there. Zendejas has the talent and technical skill but I think he's lacking confidence right now. Right now the guys in this group are playing for backup and emergency roles on the A team (with the exception of Robinson and Turner).

And I love Cade Cowell's game but it needs to mature some. He still plays like the 19 yr old kid he is.

Zendejas problem is vision and runs.

The tactics killed the players last night. Defenders with their heads down and back passing crushes a team. Later, they have to score, your left back has his head on a swivel … boom … score.

Based on what I have seen the only sure thing starters for me next time out are Turner, Robinson, Jones, Yedlin. Busio, Sands, Fereirra. I would be inclined to go with Vazquez and Cowell too through process of elimination.

Not sure otherwise. Regardless I do not love any lineup option available.

Last edited:
Is Zendejas related to that idiot kicker who blew his knee celebrating a PAT for the Arizona Cardinals about 100 years ago?

USB! USB! USB!

My takeaway from this tourney. James Sands is a credible backup for Tyler Adams.

Disappointed not to have a sports diversion Sunday.

We were outplayed from start to finish And we’re lucky to get it to penalties. I wish we were playing Sunday also but I’m ready to see the A team against Germany.

We were outplayed from start to finish And we’re lucky to get it to penalties. I wish we were playing Sunday also but I’m ready to see the A team against Germany.
I can't say we were outplayed the whole time. Our issue, as it was against Jamaica and Canada, was the backline. What we found out is out of the 7 backs who played, only 1 will be on the A squad list (Robinson) and the others only come close if we are hit with a rash of injuries. I don't ever want to see Long or Miazga in a national team uniform again. Jones is not quite ready for that level and Reynolds, Neal, and Tolkin were way out of their league against the good CONCACAF sides. I still think Yedlin is serviceable as a backup to Dest but we have a lot of decent options for that role.

Up front, Ferreira did nothing to hurt his chances as the backup 9 to Balogun and I think Vazquez will also be an option there. Cowell has the talent to be part of the A-side but his game needs to mature some. I think he has comparable 1 v 1 technical skills as to Reyna and Pulisic. The difference between those guys and Cowell is the field vision and the quality of the service into the box. He put a lot of people on skates when he was in and certainly was dangerous in the area. Busio is almost there but he lacks confidence and decision making.

Turner looked confused at times during the shootout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT