ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT Player Pool Discussion

"Beer?halter Ball is Back! And we've got a couple friendlies worth the effort next month, eg. Germany & Ghana. Let's hope he runs out a majority of our Euro guys and no jacking around with 0 cap or too many from MLS. Some assistant of his said there has been "conversations" between Gregg & Reyna. Gio is back in training with Dortmund but no minutes. I guess Beer?halter will call him up but he won't be fit enough to start. Maybe off the bench if we need a goal.

Reactions: HuffyCane
"Beer?halter Ball is Back! And we've got a couple friendlies worth the effort next month, eg. Germany & Ghana. Let's hope he runs out a majority of our Euro guys and no jacking around with 0 cap or too many from MLS. Some assistant of his said there has been "conversations" between Gregg & Reyna. Gio is back in training with Dortmund but no minutes. I guess Beer?halter will call him up but he won't be fit enough to start. Maybe off the bench if we need a goal.
Yep. Situation normal.

Reactions: quincy101
CP starts again at right wing, gets his 3rd of the season, a game winner, in a 2-0 win over Lazio. Musah comes off the bench at 28 mins. to replace an injured mate and does well. Both he & Pulisic had tough shots saved. Pulisic was easily MotM as he took most free kicks, tracked back repeatedly to help on defense, 91% passing, etc. Milan is tied at the top of Serie A and Pulisic is loving it.

Tyler Adams is getting ready for his new club, Bournemouth, in the EPL and they could use him. Gio Reyna is close to minutes with Dortmund (named to bench but not used yesterday). There are strong rumors of a move to Milan for him. How sweet would that be to join CP & Musah?

Reactions: TU_BLA
CP starts again at right wing, gets his 3rd of the season, a game winner, in a 2-0 win over Lazio. Musah comes off the bench at 28 mins. to replace an injured mate and does well. Both he & Pulisic had tough shots saved. Pulisic was easily MotM as he took most free kicks, tracked back repeatedly to help on defense, 91% passing, etc. Milan is tied at the top of Serie A and Pulisic is loving it.

Tyler Adams is getting ready for his new club, Bournemouth, in the EPL and they could use him. Gio Reyna is close to minutes with Dortmund (named to bench but not used yesterday). There are strong rumors of a move to Milan for him. How sweet would that be to join CP & Musah?

Wes McKinnie is a regular starter at right wingback for Juve. Yea! While Tim Weah starts mostly on the bench and subs in in the 2nd half.......boo! for, you guessed it, McKinnie at right wingback. These two will rarely be on the pitch together. But at least both are getting minutes. And both have enough speed to get forward(which Allegri allows) and to get back & help on defense.

Wes McKinnie is a regular starter at right wingback for Juve. Yea! While Tim Weah starts mostly on the bench and subs in in the 2nd half.......boo! for, you guessed it, McKinnie at right wingback. These two will rarely be on the pitch together. But at least both are getting minutes. And both have enough speed to get forward(which Allegri allows) and to get back & help on defense.
Interesting spot for Wes. Had not considered him there.

While in a mild funk over football, if you can, watch the last 15 minutes of AC Milan vs Genoa (Para+ or cbs sports as a replay). Musah gets the start while Pulisic starts on the bench. CP comes off the bench at the half and no score until the 87th when Musah rifles a 25 yd cross from the right wing directly to CP who chests it down, turns & slots it home from about 12 yards out.

Then it gets a little weird. Nine minutes of stoppage time at the end and a couple minutes in, Milan's goalie gets a straight red for leaping in to a guy to clear a ball with his head & is late. Since Milan had used all its subs, 6'3" striker Olivier Giroud puts on the green jersey & goes in goal. A couple minutes later, the Genoa goalie gets tossed for two yellows. Milan holds on for the win with CP's 2nd game winner in a row (4 total in 8 games) and I think it's Musah's 1st point. Cool!

Have we seen enough of Berhalter? He has only beaten two absolutely small-time Euro squads? Why is Cindy Parlow wasting our time again? that Germany game was a debacle.

Have we seen enough of Berhalter? He has only beaten two absolutely small-time Euro squads? Why is Cindy Parlow wasting our time again? that Germany game was a debacle.
That wasn't our normal backline and I suspect it will not be by 2026. And that group just hasn't had much time together to gel in game action which is why we're absolutely fine. Ream and Richards haven't played much together and that's an actual big deal. Dest was on the off side today where he doesn't have the same chemistry with Pulisic as he did with Weah on the right. Jedi wasn't back there as I think he's nursing an injury. No Miles Robinson b/c Atlanta is in the middle of the MLS end of season and playoff push. Scally and Richards will be fine but they don't have much game action together or with Ream. So there were obvious defensive breakdowns and somewhat understandable.

What I took away as a positive is Gio Reyna looked damn good and makes that team super dangerous. Pulisic's confidence is clearly soaring right now and largely due to him playing at a really high level at Milan. And I must say the interaction Pulisic and Balogun have up front is very encouraging as Balogun, unlike many of our strikers the last few years, is willing to give up the ball and make a dangerous run which frees Pulisic and Reyna attack as well. Pulisic's goal was a nice understanding of where the space could be but that was predicated on Balogun leaving the space he passed from and dragging a defender with him allowing Pulisic to make the in cut with the ball. And the shot was world class.

And let's not forget...no Tyler Adams. While Musah has been serviceable in the 6 role, he frequently is caught out of position because his instinct tells him he's still a 10. And the biggest issue came when they took Reyna off for De La Torre. De La Torre is a good holding player when you have a lead but he isn't a dynamic solution if you need to score. I understand Reyna's 45 just coming back from injury and only 30 minutes of PT coming in with Dortmund.

I don't think there is any reason for panic. As long as Berhalter realizes Reyna is a starter coming forward and you can bring Musah off the bench later on (in a perfect world where Adams is health and at the 6).

That wasn't our normal backline and I suspect it will not be by 2026. And that group just hasn't had much time together to gel in game action which is why we're absolutely fine. Ream and Richards haven't played much together and that's an actual big deal. Dest was on the off side today where he doesn't have the same chemistry with Pulisic as he did with Weah on the right. Jedi wasn't back there as I think he's nursing an injury. No Miles Robinson b/c Atlanta is in the middle of the MLS end of season and playoff push. Scally and Richards will be fine but they don't have much game action together or with Ream. So there were obvious defensive breakdowns and somewhat understandable.

What I took away as a positive is Gio Reyna looked damn good and makes that team super dangerous. Pulisic's confidence is clearly soaring right now and largely due to him playing at a really high level at Milan. And I must say the interaction Pulisic and Balogun have up front is very encouraging as Balogun, unlike many of our strikers the last few years, is willing to give up the ball and make a dangerous run which frees Pulisic and Reyna attack as well. Pulisic's goal was a nice understanding of where the space could be but that was predicated on Balogun leaving the space he passed from and dragging a defender with him allowing Pulisic to make the in cut with the ball. And the shot was world class.

And let's not forget...no Tyler Adams. While Musah has been serviceable in the 6 role, he frequently is caught out of position because his instinct tells him he's still a 10. And the biggest issue came when they took Reyna off for De La Torre. De La Torre is a good holding player when you have a lead but he isn't a dynamic solution if you need to score. I understand Reyna's 45 just coming back from injury and only 30 minutes of PT coming in with Dortmund.

I don't think there is any reason for panic. As long as Berhalter realizes Reyna is a starter coming forward and you can bring Musah off the bench later on (in a perfect world where Adams is health and at the 6).
He adds nothing new. I have seen enough of this. At best, we are a Round of 16 or not making it out of the group with this ding dong.

I’m more concerned that we’ve got half a squad going into Copa America having never faced a South American team in international competition.

Berhalter is the best we are going to get for what they are willing to pay.

I’m more concerned that we’ve got half a squad going into Copa America having never faced a South American team in international competition.

Berhalter is the best we are going to get for what they are willing to pay.
We looked really good on the attacking side in the first half. Says to me that when we have close to our best group up front and in midfield we are really dangerous.

Once we pulled Reyna we lost talent on the field along with taking a passive posture.

The move from Chelsea to Milan was the best thing that could have happened to Pulisic. He’s getting regular playing time with quality players so maybe now his development can take off again.

The move from Chelsea to Milan was the best thing that could have happened to Pulisic. He’s getting regular playing time with quality players so maybe now his development can take off again.
Just look at how many players Tuchel destroyed at Chelsea...whatever it was. Mason Mount, Havertz, Werner, Pulisic. Now that they've moved on and are playing for managers that trust them and utilize them properly they're all rebounding. And where's Chelsea....sucking hard and in the middle of a total revamp that will take 3-4 years of retooling and finding a manager who can see what he has and put them in position to win games. Essentially this is Arsenal from 2019 all over. Problem for Chelsea is I don't think Pocchetino is the solution at manager. Just like all these clubs wanted to rehash Mourinho in EPL. They were great once...but these managers are stubborn and want things their way and they may not have the personnel to play the way they want, but they continue to try to force the square peg into the round hole and they fail....miserably. And EPL sides are way impatient when it comes to getting results. Some managers don't last a full season even. Some barely more than a full season which is hardly enough time for a manager to come in and make sure he has the personnel needed.

But on Pulisic, he's been given the freedom to play side to side and create and he's somehow developed a really nice rapport with Giroud who seems like he should have retired after Chelsea but is obviously still good enough to contribute to a top side (another player sidetracked by Tuchel's pettiness).

Pulisic is not a selfish player and is willing to provide service when not in a position to score himself so he’s always seemed to work well with his teammates when given the chance.

Pulisic is not a selfish player and is willing to provide service when not in a position to score himself so he’s always seemed to work well with his teammates when given the chance.
He's a brilliant creator.

One thing I didn't mention the other day is how incredibly fast the US is, especially with the ball at their feet. Dest, Pulisic, Musah, Reyna, and Weah all were able to pull away from trailing defenders even with the ball at their feet. Balogun to an extent too but he doesn't typically get the ball with a ton of space to operate.

Reactions: drboobay
Just look at how many players Tuchel destroyed at Chelsea
Winning the Champions League is like a WC for club teams. Chelsea did it in 2021-22 for the 2nd time. In the meantime, there are only two guys still with Chelsea who were on that team....39 yr. old central defender Thiago Silva and Ben Chilwell who was always hurt & rarely played. It was Tuchel & 3 other coaches since, plus the new American ownership, that dumped everyone else after spending about $750 million on new players. Chelsea finished 13th in the EPL last season & are currently 11th now and fans in west London are not happy. Just unbelievable!

USMNT putting a hurting on Ghana right now. US has been content to let Ghana tag the ball around in the back but really haven't given them much space in the attack. US has countered very effectively and has taken advantage of their speed.

It was fun to see an indirect free kick in the box again.

Used to be a common occurance in the 70s and 80s before rule changes. Rare now.

Very bad news for Tyler Adams. After 4 months out for surgery rehab, he apparently comes back too early, reinjures that surgically repaired hammie & is back on the shelf for another 4-5 months. Just hope he can recover & continue his career as a world class defensive midfielder (if his body & mind are right). Absolutely sucks!

Very bad news for Tyler Adams. After 4 months out for surgery rehab, he apparently comes back too early, reinjures that surgically repaired hammie & is back on the shelf for another 4-5 months. Just hope he can recover & continue his career as a world class defensive midfielder (if his body & mind are right). Absolutely sucks!
Doesn’t look good for the career. You’ll recall Jozy and many other players never fully recover from a second hammy.

So potentially bad news coming out of the UEFA CL matches today. Pulisic went down in stoppage time against PSG with what looked like a hamstring injury. He had played well up until that point. Milan won the game 2-1.

So potentially bad news coming out of the UEFA CL matches today. Pulisic went down in stoppage time against PSG with what looked like a hamstring injury. He had played well up until that point. Milan won the game 2-1.
Well that's a few months off at a min.

Good news on Pulisic. MRI found no structural damage to the hamstring and they're labeling it something weird. He's listed as day to day and Milan says he MAY miss the next match.

Sergino Dest is a douche.
That emotional outburst is going to cost him more than just playing time. It was pretty stupid and ridiculous and when your damn teammates are trying to get you to shut your mouth and you ignore them and curse them out, gonna be a problem.

In other news, Canada just lost 3-2 to Jamaica in the 2nd leg of the CONCACAF Nations League quarterfinals. Aggregate was tied 4-4 but b/c Jamaica scored 3 in Canada, they go through on away goals. This means no auto qualification for Canada for Copa America this summer which could be devastating for them moving forward. Kills the momentum they built by qualifying for the WC.

Right now Mexico leads Honduras 1-0 in Azteca but trail in the aggregate, 2-1. This could be devastating for Mexico too as they have been struggling internationally. It would also mean the US would be the prohibitive favorite for a 3rd straight Nations League title.

That emotional outburst is going to cost him more than just playing time. It was pretty stupid and ridiculous and when your damn teammates are trying to get you to shut your mouth and you ignore them and curse them out, gonna be a problem.

In other news, Canada just lost 3-2 to Jamaica in the 2nd leg of the CONCACAF Nations League quarterfinals. Aggregate was tied 4-4 but b/c Jamaica scored 3 in Canada, they go through on away goals. This means no auto qualification for Canada for Copa America this summer which could be devastating for them moving forward. Kills the momentum they built by qualifying for the WC.

Right now Mexico leads Honduras 1-0 in Azteca but trail in the aggregate, 2-1. This could be devastating for Mexico too as they have been struggling internationally. It would also mean the US would be the prohibitive favorite for a 3rd straight Nations League title.
I have never seen such a childish outburst in international competition. Maybe never in a professional match period. I have seen horrible, shameful fouls but not that particular type of infantile tantrum.

He needs therapy. And some time off from the national team.

Agree on above about Dest. Better start developing depth at right back. But with 11, how did we do? Pepe was lucky and Balogun had chances. Hell, the only guy scoring is our left back, e.g. Jedi. Without Pulisic, Adams & Weah, who we desparately need to be healthy, seems to me we're in a bit of trouble in any semi's or finals coming up. Thank goodness we backed in to a spot in Copa America and these 3 can get healthy, not to mention a back-up 9........Carrot Top, who is also rehabbing.

Dest is one of the most talented players has ever had. If you don't understand that or see that, you don't understand soccer. Weston Mckennie is a bigger Douche.

Reactions: drboobay
Agree on above about Dest. Better start developing depth at right back. But with 11, how did we do? Pepe was lucky and Balogun had chances. Hell, the only guy scoring is our left back, e.g. Jedi. Without Pulisic, Adams & Weah, who we desparately need to be healthy, seems to me we're in a bit of trouble in any semi's or finals coming up. Thank goodness we backed in to a spot in Copa America and these 3 can get healthy, not to mention a back-up 9........Carrot Top, who is also rehabbing.
I wouldn't quite call it backing in. We did win the round decisively despite the loss.

Your bigger point is well taken though. The Austin game was nervy until the final ten minutes.

Dest is one of the most talented players has ever had. If you don't understand that or see that, you don't understand soccer. Weston Mckennie is a bigger Douche.
Absolutely. But he cannot behave that way without consequence. It was shameful.

Weah can play right back and should.

Jesse Marsch quoted as saying this generation deserves a signature win like Portugal or Spain and they don’t have it yet. Only a scoreless draw against an England team. Not so subtle swipe against Greggggg.

Asked after the interview if he had any contact with USSF he eluded to unofficial talks about his potential availability.

Hes likely not the answer since he’s a system coach, but the product we have now is nearing joke proportions.

Reactions: nevadanatural
Jesse Marsch quoted as saying this generation deserves a signature win like Portugal or Spain and they don’t have it yet. Only a scoreless draw against an England team. Not so subtle swipe against Greggggg.
Want more swipes against our coach?(I do) Clint Dempsey quoted as saying that if we crash out early in next year's Copa America, Beer?halter's job might be in jeopardy. Not sure when we play Jamaica in those concacaf semi finals coming up, but more "swipes" will be forthcoming if we can't beat them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT