ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT Player Pool Discussion

BJ Callaghan named Interim as Hudson departs. BJ was a clubhouse coach under Berhalter. Spent 9 years as an assistant to Jim Curtain, who many consider to be the favorite to get the permanent job. This just bolsters that view. BJ will see the teams through both summer tournaments.

No word on whether a kit man will be made the number 2. Hopefully someone will turn out the lights when they all leave.

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
BJ Callaghan named Interim as Hudson departs. BJ was a clubhouse coach under Berhalter. Spent 9 years as an assistant to Jim Curtain, who many consider to be the favorite to get the permanent job. This just bolsters that view. BJ will see the teams through both summer tournaments.

No word on whether a kit man will be made the number 2. Hopefully someone will turn out the lights when they all leave.
Was Hudson presented another opportunity or told he won't be considered for the top job but they'd like him to stay on through the summer? My guess is the latter despite being able to convince several high profile dual nationals to play their international soccer for the US.

USYNT U20s vs New Zealand in the U20 WC quarterfinals today. Game is on FS2 for anyone who has access and can stream. Owen Wolff just scored for the US in the 14th minute. Atrocious GK from the NZ keeper. Didn't move his feet and had more time to get to the ball than he realized. Ball slowly rolled into the side netting. Shot placement was good but there was no power behind it.

Reactions: HuffyCane
USYNT U20s vs New Zealand in the U20 WC quarterfinals today. Game is on FS2 for anyone who has access and can stream. Owen Wolff just scored for the US in the 14th minute. Atrocious GK from the NZ keeper. Didn't move his feet and had more time to get to the ball than he realized. Ball slowly rolled into the side netting. Shot placement was good but there was no power behind it.
Looks like his Daddy out there.,

Looks like his Daddy out there.,
Yes he does. The US has had the better of the play although New Zealand has had a couple of good scoring opportunities that came directly off of brain cramp plays from the US midfielders. The US also hit the frame on a shot, had a scissor kick shot on target, and another shot just go over the bar. These kids certainly know how to move the ball well...there's not a whole lot of 1 v 1 soccer happening as I can tell. Lots of chemistry within the group.

Slonina might be the guy in 3 years in 2026 for the US. He plays like an old man and by that, he plays very calm and in control and nothing ever really seems to get him flustered or out of sorts like kids under pressure can get. That's a really good trait for a goalkeeper. His feet are better than any of the current senior team GKs too. I like Turner a lot because he is an underdog type who was one of those late bloomer soccer players...like he didn't play until he was 14 and then only joined his HS soccer team to stay in shape for basketball and baseball. He only became a GK on his HS' FR team b/c the other GK got hurt. Turner is athletically gifted and he was some of the quickest twitch reactions I've seen. His ball at the feet skills are OK but not great but he does tend to make good decisions with the ball...unless that includes playing a short ball to Long or Zimmerman against heavy press and wanting them to then play out of the back (hint: that doesn't work for them or the US). Slonina has the goods and is already a pretty advanced GK in terms of his mental acuity for the game. Right now I'm thinking he can have the type of growth and development we've seen in US GKs along the lines of Casey Keller and Brad Friedel. There are a lot of soccer fans in the US that don't remember either of them or how freaking good they both were but it was hard to understand that because the US was the US in terms of international soccer.

Cade Cowell has also shown out in this tournament. Really strong up top for the US.

ADD: On cure, he just scored the 2nd goal for the US only moments after passing up a clean shot to set up a teammate.

US 2-0 over New Zealand right now.

Watching US vs Mexico tonight. Other than way too many lazy passes they’re looking good. Excellent anticipation and finish on Pulisic’s goal. This team has a lot of speed with Pulisic, A. Robinson and Weah. Good to see Miles Robinson back on the pitch, he’s not flashy but is a solid defender.

So far so good for US vs Mexico. Our best 11 is better than Mexico's 11. Like the US is running Mexico off the field right now. And the US is playing their normal 4-3-3 but the MF plus the 2 fullbacks PLUS Pulisic and Weah at the outside forwards are running like a crazy intricate weave when they have the ball and the Mexican defenders are chasing ghost runs. The US should be up 2 goals. The only 2 that haven't been involved in the offense are Chris Richards and Miles Robinson. They've stayed home for the most part. Matt Turner has been pretty bored as well. Not sure he has recorded a save in this game and not sure Mexico has been credited with a shot on goal.

And this is with no Tyler Adams. Musah and McKennie have done an admirable job running what looks like at times a double 6 in the MF. And Gio Reyna has looked tremendous on the ball.

Tres a cero now. Again, the US has dominated. And the game went super ugly. Montes from Mexico is red carded for an absolutely awful foul on Balogun who outworked Montes to win a ball in the midfield. McKennie gets pissed and gets in a scuffle and gets a red. He'll be out for Sunday's final.

Pepi scores the 3rd on a brilliant run and through ball and he out patiented Ochoa. And he really had just come into the game, maybe 2-3 minutes in the field.

When does the soccer world start to question if the US has surpassed Mexico in soccer? If we haven't we're damn close to it.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
That was an excellent finish from Pepi, the first time I’ve seen that from him. I hate missing McKennie and Dest against Canada but Dest will be missed the most, he was amazing in this game. Mexico fans were ugly near the end.

That was an excellent finish from Pepi, the first time I’ve seen that from him. I hate missing McKennie and Dest against Canada but Dest will be missed the most, he was amazing in this game. Mexico fans were ugly near the end.
Mexican fans as a group are generally ugly when things aren't going their way. CONCACAF and FIFA should really ban Mexico from having fans at games for a year or two. Beyond the obvious insults and slurs anytime a GK punts a ball or takes a long goal kick, the fact they were throwing bottles of water and other crap onto the field is ridiculous.

Does Mexican radio have sports talk radio? My guess is they're melting and people are lamenting that their poor gringo neighbors to the north have passed them up. Seriously the US put out one of the most talented squads I've seen for the US. Maybe it wasn't the most talented but the 11 that played last night were easily the most athletic and maybe the most technically skilled group (collectively) the US has run out on a field in a game that mattered. Reyna and Weah and Musah and Dest were turning Mexican defenders inside out all night long. And it's been a long time since I felt completely at ease with the CB pairing and Richards and Robinson didn't disappoint. Mexico was credited with 5 shots last night and only 1 on frame. And I think a couple of those recorded as shots were a show of generosity from the official scorekeeper. The D was really really good last night.

If I need to find a concern, it was Turner's uneasiness playing out of the back. He frequently held the ball too long, he had too many poor touches that created pressure and a couple chances for Mexico.

All in all a good showing for the US. I expect Scally gets the call in place of Dest vs Canada. Not sure who they go with in place of McKennie. Maybe De la Torre? And maybe the game starts with Pepi up top with Balogun coming in later.

The good: Best game they’ve played as a complete squad since 2002 WC. Crazy narrow and short field (though regulation) and yet Mexico conceded gobs of space on the wings. We could flow with impunity at times. Mexico essentially conceded by formation that our talent was superior in the interior with Musah as a pivot, Reyna and Balogun taking center stage. Might be the first time in series history that is true.

The bad: This game would have been 5 or 6-nil on a normal field. Mexico a half step slow and even worse, repeatedly failed to anticipate passing/attacking. The red on Balogun was a confession the whole team was late to arrive and unable to dispossess the USA all night long. If you didn’t know who was playing you’d have thought the USA was playing some small Caribbean island with semi pro players.

The ugly: Reyna’s Look At Me haircut. Fans from both sides throwing crap on the field. Not getting Dest out of there earlier. USSF rehiring Greg Berhalter.

Last edited:
The good: Best game they’ve played as a complete squad since 2002 WC. Crazy narrow and short field (though regulation) and yet Mexico conceded gobs of space on the wings. We could flow with impunity at times. Mexico essentially conceded by formation that our talent was superior in the interior with Musah as a pivot, Reyna and Balogun taking center stage. Might be the first time in series history that is true.

The bad: This game would have been 5 or 6-nil on a normal field. Mexico a half step slow and even worse, repeatedly failed to anticipate passing/attacking. The red on Balogun was a confession the whole team was late to arrive and unable to dispossess the USA all night long. If you didn’t know who was playing you’d have thought the USA was playing some small Caribbean island with semi pro players.

The ugly: Reyna’s Look At Me haircut. Fans from both sides throwing crap on the field. Not getting Dest out of there earlier. USSF rehiring Greg Berhalter.
The field, while a few yards narrower than what you see with most full sized FIFA pitches was nowhere near as egregious as say, Yankee Stadium running a cool 64 yds or so. I believe they said this one was 72 yds and most standard pitches run 120'L x 80y W. To be honest, I couldn't tell that it was even 8 yards smaller.

My son saw Mexico's formation and said, "I guess they're conceding they can't press this US team with the 11 they ran out there." Which is a far cry from the past. He mentioned something crazy like Mexico running a 5-2-2-1 which looked a lot like a 5-4-1 while the US was in possession and then morphed into something different when they had the ball. Whatever it was it wasn't effective.

Also, to Nevada and the comment on Pepi's finish. My son noticed, on the replay that he has an uncanny ability to make a simple stride look like he's getting ready to shoot. GKs look for that cue to set their feet and get ready to react. Watching carefully, Pepi had Ochoa stopping and starting so many times to the point he was just out of sorts and could catch up. The run was brilliant, the pass from Dest was "sublime" to quote my daughter's word of the week.

So not having really watched a ton of Dortmund games I haven't seen Reyna play a ton. Last night showed why he should absolutely be on the field as much as possible. He has a crazy good knack for being able to redirect and make blind passes to teammates from out of pressure and put the defending team on their heels. I really hope this whole Reyna-Berhalter thing gets resolved quickly because the US is 100% a threat to do some major damage in 2026 with him on the field and barring any major injuries. The avg. age of the starters for the US last night was 23!!! They're only going to get better.

It was clearly smaller. It’s a game of inches. 24 feet is a lot of space missing. Especially if your objective is opening interior passing lanes.

Tell your son “formation” is less important than flow. Don’t look at where players are to determine how they are/will be playing. Look towards where they are going and how they interchange.

I didn’t really notice the pitch size. As long as it’s at least 110x70 I don’t really size why people care.

USSF rehiring Greg Berhalter.
Man, that's double ugly, almost as ugly as Whoopie Goldberg taking over for Pat Sajac at Spin the Table, er...Wheel of Fortune. I loved CP sticking it to Mexico & Chelsea with his brace, which should have been a hat trick. That showing might add a few mill to his transfer fee but some club will be more likely to pay it, too.

Man, that's double ugly, almost as ugly as Whoopie Goldberg taking over for Pat Sajac at Spin the Table, er...Wheel of Fortune. I loved CP sticking it to Mexico & Chelsea with his brace, which should have been a hat trick. That showing might add a few mill to his transfer fee but some club will be more likely to pay it, too.
I know we don't like Berhalter for whatever reason. I personally think his style is too conservative and doesn't allow the insanely talented pool of players we currently have to be creative. Outside of Balogun last night, as I mentioned earlier, our attack was extremely fluid and moving and players were obviously given the freedom to make dynamic runs that may have taken them slightly out of their "lineup" position but then created space. Again, it was like watching a basketball team run a 4 mean weave out top with a few screen and rolls thrown in so the defense doesn't know who to guard or the space being attacked. When you add the insane technical skill of just about everyone on the field to that and it's going to create a ton of problems for just about every team the US will play.

BUT, the players as a whole (with the possible exception of Reyna) support Berhalter as the coach.

Wake me up when Beer?halter announces his starting 11 along about June 1st, 2026.

If Berhalter is rehired that is a disaster of major proportions. If he had been the coach for this game you wouldn’t have seen that team we had on the field last night. We would have had Morris up top, Acosta in midfield and Long at CB with a smattering of other MLS players. His player choices are always bizarre and it prevents our best players from coming together as a team. The guy coaching last night did a better job than Berhalter ever did although he should have subbed earlier in the second half when you could tell our guys were getting tired, it might have prevented at least one red card.

Most of the tactics employed last night were straight from Berhalter's playbook. And the continuity of that mission, along with increasing talent in the player pool, will pay huge dividends. He'll continue to be a lightning rod for fan's frustrations, but that's probably a good thing if he keeps heat off the players. Now I guess we'll see if Huffy follows through on his promise to never watch another game if Gregg was back.

We would have had Morris up top, Acosta in midfield and Long at CB with a smattering of other MLS players
These plus many other MLS guys will be in the Gold Cup, the roster of which is already announced. In other words, winning it would be nice but it is not important. Throwing a bone to MLS is more important. B. J. Callahan is Beer?halter's boy with Gregg's fingerprints all over that line-up. Here we go again!

Last edited:
I know we don't like Berhalter for whatever reason. I personally think his style is too conservative and doesn't allow the insanely talented pool of players we currently have to be creative. Outside of Balogun last night, as I mentioned earlier, our attack was extremely fluid and moving and players were obviously given the freedom to make dynamic runs that may have taken them slightly out of their "lineup" position but then created space. Again, it was like watching a basketball team run a 4 mean weave out top with a few screen and rolls thrown in so the defense doesn't know who to guard or the space being attacked. When you add the insane technical skill of just about everyone on the field to that and it's going to create a ton of problems for just about every team the US will play.

BUT, the players as a whole (with the possible exception of Reyna) support Berhalter as the coach.
You were watching Mexico having to adjust to the threat of Balogun. He can draw two or even three defenders and forces unbalanced play elsewhere giving freedom to others to run or blow by 1v1, especially for players who like to pinch in like CP. We don’t know what we will look like with GB in charge with a legit 9, but I suspect we would have seen similar fluidity if Dike had become what we hoped and stayed healthy.

Of course they do. For the first time ever we have legit options at every position and these guys all know they will play. That doesn’t mean they are right. You only get the info you need to know out of a lockerroom from people who aren’t allowed to play with the credibility to carry the message. See generally, Felhaber, B and Donovan, L in 2014.

Reactions: quincy101
These plus many other MLS guys will be in the Gold Cup, the roster of which is already announced. In other words, winning it would be nice but it is not important. Throwing a bone to MLS is more important. B. J. Callahan is Beer?halter's boy with Gregg's fingerprints all over that line-up. Here we go again!
It's fine. It's the same tactic as a couple years ago when the US won both Nation's League and Gold Cup. The Gold Cup side was at best the US' B- team, not even A-. And there are enough good MLS players now that they can at least compete in this competition. It wouldn't surprise me if Mexico calls in their A+ side to earn some hardware knowing the US is running out a B-side.

We better not run out a B team for Copa America. That will be our best practice for the WC. Going against the best in South America will show us what we have for 2026. These guys need experience playing together.

We better not run out a B team for Copa America. That will be our best practice for the WC. Going against the best in South America will show us what we have for 2026. These guys need experience playing together.

That will be an important tournament for the US. Playing in the US and getting to play some South American competition in games that will matter will be a good gauge of where the US is with regard to world status. After watching last night with this group, I think it is realistic for the US to be a top 12 side in the FIFA rankings by 2026 and therefore garner 1-seed for their group.

Ok, with the addition of Balogun and the return of Tyler Adams, who you taking off the field? Reyna, McKinnie, Weah? Pulisic splits time with one of the above?

Reactions: quincy101
Ok, with the addition of Balogun and the return of Tyler Adams, who you taking off the field? Reyna, McKinnie, Weah? Pulisic splits time with one of the above?
Geez...the US has an embarrassment of riches in the MF right now. I was surprised by the defensive effectiveness of the 3 MFs we ran out on Thursday. None of them are true 6's but I felt Musah, McKennie, and Reyna were all exceptional in being 120 yard players. I'd hate to take Reyna off the field at this point. His technical skill is just ridiculous and his field vision is beyond ridiculous. I think you can put Reyna in Weah's spot and still be effective. Weah's speed and athleticism are insane. And he delivers some great crosses from a full run. He made the #2 just look silly the other day. Mexico doesn't have anyone who can keep pace with him.

I think Berhalter needs to manage game time in the group stage and swap players in and out from game 1 to game 2 and let them know the plan in advance. I think the US has the depth in key positions to do that. Of course all depends on getting a result in game 1. It will also depend on the yellow card accumulation situation. As we saw the other day, the US has some hot head players. McKennie is a stick of dynamite who can go off at any time and pick up a red card. Additionally, I think teams know they can chip away at the US and draw out some of those responses and goad them into bad yellow cards. This will be an issue in 2026. Maybe the US needs to bring in a sports psychologist to address this.

US up 2-0 on Canada at the half. Aaronson in for McKennie, Scally for Dest and Zimmerman for Myles Robinson and so far they haven’t missed a beat. Our finishing in these two games is miles better than previously. If not for excellent saves by the Canadian keeper there could have been two more goals.

Balogun gets his shot off so quickly and doesn't need much space to do so. Reyna with both assists. The 2nd one was absolutely brilliant.

Reactions: nevadanatural
This version of the team just looks dangerous. The more scoring options we have on the field the more opportunities we’ll get.

This version of the team just looks dangerous. The more scoring options we have on the field the more opportunities we’ll get.
And just think, this team played a final against a Canadian team that won the group for WC qualifying, without 3 of its best players.

I read an article yesterday that talked about how “this team” finished third in WC qualifying last cycle as an example of how impressive this cup win was. The fact is this team never saw the field in qualifying. Some of these players were on the field for various games but our best players were never on the field at the same time. Bizarrely we had one player (CCV) who started our WC games but never played in a single qualifying match. That’s my chief gripe about Berhalter, he insists on strange lineup changes for every game. We scored a total of 3 goals in 4 games during the last WC and that has to change. I think playing the best players together, those that will be playing serious minutes in 2026, is key to that.

I read an article yesterday that talked about how “this team” finished third in WC qualifying last cycle as an example of how impressive this cup win was. The fact is this team never saw the field in qualifying. Some of these players were on the field for various games but our best players were never on the field at the same time. Bizarrely we had one player (CCV) who started our WC games but never played in a single qualifying match. That’s my chief gripe about Berhalter, he insists on strange lineup changes for every game. We scored a total of 3 goals in 4 games during the last WC and that has to change. I think playing the best players together, those that will be playing serious minutes in 2026, is key to that.
Berhalter is going to have to admit that Reyna is simply one of the best players in a USMNT uniform presently. He is easily the best facilitator we have on the offensive side. And these two games showed he was pretty dedicated to playing a full 120 yds. Add Balogun into the mix and we have a #9 that will draw a lot of attention which will relieve some of the pressure Pulisic sees and with Weah and Dest controlling the right side along with Pulisic and Jedi on the left, we have an opportunity to be very flexible in the attack using all three channels of the field to develop and probe for openings.

Add to that for the first time in many years I don't have any glaring concerns about who's playing defense. Richards is just really really good. Miles Robinson is really really good. Zimmerman is good and very capable (and I think he's even better when it doesn't fall all on him). Scally showed he should be a regular behind Dest on the left. I can't speak about some of the subs that can on like Trusty and Cardoso b/c I simply didn't see enough.

I was thoroughly impressed with Musah's efforts at the 6 this weekend. He was all over the field. He gives us an option of Adams can't go. The US has a tremendously deep pool of players that can be called on right now. Guys like Acosta were left home. CCV and Adams were injury casualties for this cycle.

The most impressive part of the weekend is 5 GF, 0 GA. We gave up some chances to Canada but always seemed to have someone there to block a shot or clear it away. And Mexico wasn't close to scoring. That should tell you a lot where the US is at.

Boy Reyna looks SO much better playing a bit deeper rather than up front. Really shows how well he sees the game. He needs to stay there.

Boy Reyna looks SO much better playing a bit deeper rather than up front. Really shows how well he sees the game. He needs to stay there.
There’s I would be concerned about the space underneath he leaves between the two sitters as he creates. He doesn’t track back and defend like he did at the beginning of his career. Mexico is one thing but a quality European side will exploit that space he leaves and we are down two before we know it. It’s great to have this formation as an option, but I can’t see it being a base formation. You are asking McKinnie to essentially become another 6 and take Weah off. I’m not sure that’s what you want.

It reminds me of the endless debates about Lampard and Gerard.

dd to that for the first time in many years I don't have any glaring concerns about who's playing defense. Richards is just really really good. Miles Robinson is really really good. Zimmerman is good and very capable (and I think he's even better when it doesn't fall all on him). Scally showed he should be a regular behind Dest on the left. I can't speak about some of the subs that can on like Trusty and Cardoso b/c I simply didn't see enough.
Me either! Let's not forget Eric Palmer-Brown. But let us forget John Brooks, the player of the year for Hoffenheim! And these guys will only get better before 2026. All Beer?halter has to do is play our best players & backups, particularly in the Copa America. Of course, we want to check out some youngsters for potential as backups in some of the friendlies coming up. But not the ridiculous amount of tryouts (over 60 guys) we saw in the last cycle.

BTW, has anyone else connected the bizarre rehire of Beer?halter with the uber bizarre hire of him initially? To review, only 2 interviews three years ago and after 13 months without a head coach, Beer?halter gets hired. This time, the totally dysfunctional USSF hires some outside firm to recommend a Sports Director who will then recommend a new head coach. Our new Sporting Director, with all kinds of futbol experience in England and Europe, some 6 months after the WC, rehires you know who. I've not heard of any outsiders getting an interview. Maybe there was interviews, but guys like Thierry Henri & Patrick Viera, even Jesse Marsch, didn't get a smell.

And what's with asking the players who they want to be head coach? Is this done anywhere else on the planet with MNT's or club teams? I doubt it. All I can do is hope that Beer?halter selects the very best players available for important games, rather like he did a couple days before the WC. I'm rambling on.........so will shut up now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT