ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT Player Pool Discussion

I watched the US vs Guatemala last night, USA 5-3 winners. A couple of guys stood out for me. Kid named David Vasquez had a couple assists and made some nice crosses and accurate passes. Kid named Figeurora can score & is making a run for the Golden Boot. Sign him up for the Sr. team, HA!. I'm glad these youngsters have qualified for the U-17 WC and they just might win that concacaf qualifying tourney.
Glad you took the time to watch it. The u17 and U19 games can be entertaining as long as you don’t immediately assume all the kids are gonna be stars. It’s cool to see names pop up you haven’t heard in awhile 6 or 7 year later. The 1999-2000 Olympic team was pretty much the same squad that had been together since U17 and oh boy it’s filled with Hall of Famers. That’s how you win. You find a core in 1996 and you stick with their development for 5 years and put together a sick U23 squad.

Just a few: Landon Donovan, DeMarcus Beasley, Conor Casey, Josh Wolff, John OBrien, Ben Olson, Tim Howard. Most of the rest were eventual MLS all-stars.

It's USA vs Mex in the concacaf tourney final after we popped Canada (again), 2-0. Kid named Barton scored the game winner on a beautiful curling shot just inside the far post about 20 yds out. Figueroa comes in late & sets up a 2nd in the last minute of stoppage. Fig is in a battle for the Golden Boot with a Mexican kid only one goal behind but ( 1 assist ahead) Final in about a week.

Reactions: HuffyCane
C. Pulisic is back in training just in time to ride the pine & get transferred. Don't believe he's actually ready to get minutes. Chelsea is not a dumpster fire yet but is smouldering with lots of smoke.

Meanwhile, Norwich City is climbing up the Championship table in 6th after a win today, 3 points out of 3rd place. Josh Sargent DNP today but I don't know why not. He currently leads his team with 11 goals & 2 assists. It would be sweet for Norwich to get promoted again and get ol' Carrot Top back to the Prem. I still believe that this kid is our answer to the #9 position.

West Bros won yesterday and Duke had both goals. Those goals came in the 8' and 10' and from looking at the possession stats after that, it looked like WBA just decided to park the bus.

Aaronson, McKennie, and Adams started for Leeds and came away with a very important 1-0 win vs Southhampton. Now 1 line above relegation.

US vs Mexico today and on FS2 in the CONCACAF U17 championship

OK, Chelsea is now an official dumpster fire, after getting popped today, 2-0, by Tottenham. The new owner of Chelsea, some billionaire named Todd Boehly & a consortium, has spent about $700 million for new players and a new coach, Graham Potter. Potter will soon be history since Chelsea is in 10th place about 14 points from 4th place for Ch Lg. What does this mean for CP? Nothing. He'll still be transferred asap and still end up on the bench when fit.

I think the announcement of the U-17 final today is a mistake. I mean, the guys just played 48 hours ago. Won't even these young guys get more time to rest? The TW was wrong and so was my FUBO line-up of soccer matches.

Well, I'm wrong, again. They played yesterday but not at noted time. Mex wins 3-1. I had to watch it about 6pm with Spanish commentary.

Well, I'm wrong, again. They played yesterday but not at noted time. Mex wins 3-1. I had to watch it about 6pm with Spanish commentary.
It seems it got bumped from FS2 to some off FS channel that I don't get. FS decided to air the XFinity race that I think got bumped from Saturday due to weather. Sort of sucked. I did watch the Seattle-Colorado MLS game. Seattle is good...Colorado is terrible. Roldan and Morris creating lots of chances for Seattle (both scored as well).

Aaronson, McKennie, and Adams all get the start today for Leeds @ Chelsea. Aaronson gets subbed off in the 70th min. but Leeds was super dangerous in the attack when he was on and quite honestly Leeds looks snakebit right now when it comes to finding the back of the net. Great build up and attack, lots of speed and the finishes just aren't there, either getting blocked or just off target. They have been more dangerous than Chelsea throughout but Chelsea has a 1-0 lead off a corner.

Pulisic has been back training with Chelsea but not quite match fit yet. Leeds and Newcastle have been mentioned as possible destinations along with Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, and AC Milan

So Pulisic will at least be named to Chelsea's squad for their Champion's League match against Dortmund tomorrow. Good news.

I watch some French Ligue 1 with Lille & Tim Weah. We know about his game winners recently, but lately his coach has had him at left & right fullback. Other times, central midfield. Lille has a real problem with 4 starting defenders injured.

I think this experience will make him more attractive to a bigger club down the road. BTW, his teammate, Jonathan David, got a hat trick today (2-PK's plus) & has 21 for the season. David, as we painfully know, bedevils our MNT with Canada.

Ouch! The only question left in Fulham vs Arsenal at halftime here is how many the Gunners are going to get. It's 3-0 & could have been 5-0. Poor Ream & Jedi are repeatedly getting opened up like a can of pork n' beans.

Arsenal will have only a 5-point lead over Man City in the EPL race but I like them to win the Prem. So precise in their passing, so deadly in their attacks. No big star like a Halland or Rashford. Just a solid defensive back-line and midfield.

Leeds Utd. is still hopeless. Aaronson & Adams, plus McKennie in the 2nd half could do little in a 2-2 tie. Well, Tyler Adams is always superb, but Leeds belongs in the Championship until they spend some real money.

CP gets 20+ off the bench in a Chelsea victory. Recall that his coach gave him the first 3 starts after the WC, with CP torquing his knee for 2 months off in the 3rd game. Maybe they're trying to get him match fit again, or not.

Finally, Matt Turner is in the same boat as Zach Steffen with Man City a couple years ago. That is, Turner is the back up goalie to Aaron Ramsdale & Arsenal. NO PT!. Still, if you practice against Arsenal's starters each day, you are getting invaluable experience vs the best. Turner will be ready for anyone.

Ouch! The only question left in Fulham vs Arsenal at halftime here is how many the Gunners are going to get. It's 3-0 & could have been 5-0. Poor Ream & Jedi are repeatedly getting opened up like a can of pork n' beans.

Arsenal will have only a 5-point lead over Man City in the EPL race but I like them to win the Prem. So precise in their passing, so deadly in their attacks. No big star like a Halland or Rashford. Just a solid defensive back-line and midfield.

Leeds Utd. is still hopeless. Aaronson & Adams, plus McKennie in the 2nd half could do little in a 2-2 tie. Well, Tyler Adams is always superb, but Leeds belongs in the Championship until they spend some real money.

CP gets 20+ off the bench in a Chelsea victory. Recall that his coach gave him the first 3 starts after the WC, with CP torquing his knee for 2 months off in the 3rd game. Maybe they're trying to get him match fit again, or not.

Finally, Matt Turner is in the same boat as Zach Steffen with Man City a couple years ago. That is, Turner is the back up goalie to Aaron Ramsdale & Arsenal. NO PT!. Still, if you practice against Arsenal's starters each day, you are getting invaluable experience vs the best. Turner will be ready for anyone.
Not exactly true on the Turner talk. He's been getting all of their FA Cup starts as well as the Europa league starts and he pretty much has only had 1 start where he's conceded goals...believe it was an FA Cup game vs City that City won by multiple goals.

If we run with Greg again, we need a serious look at brains. Definitely an investigation should be called for at the very top. There is no way we could get a tribute band run with him, right ?

I watch some French Ligue 1 with Lille & Tim Weah. We know about his game winners recently, but lately his coach has had him at left & right fullback. Other times, central midfield. Lille has a real problem with 4 starting defenders injured.

I think this experience will make him more attractive to a bigger club down the road. BTW, his teammate, Jonathan David, got a hat trick today (2-PK's plus) & has 21 for the season. David, as we painfully know, bedevils our MNT with Canada.
If you watch Weah closely, he's listed as a back, but the shape is free flow with some pinching by the forwards, so most of the time he is really a creating winger with folks in the rear covering his defensive duties. Not unlike what Dest wants to be for us on the right side.

And if you like the hype train and want to speculate on somewhat obscure American players before your friends mention them, check out Austin Trusty. Signed for Arsenal from the Union. Loaned to Birmingham’s d and has really stood out. He will be in the conversation soon at age 24.
Trusty named to the Nation’s League squad.

But you heard it here first … lol

Nations League pool: Out: Tyler Adams out due to injury. Back: Gio Reyna, Oklahoma’s own Dike, Pepi, Zach Steffen, Miles Robinson, Joe Scally.

New and notable: Trusty. Tyler Booth who is killing it at Utrecht in Holland, and Zendjas.

Booth and Dike together are intriguing. A 3-5-1-1 with Dike doing the hold up and Booth stretching and playmaking for the crashers has possibilities.

But we will probably see Robinson, Ream, Robinson, Dest; Musah, McKinnie, Cardoso; Pulisic, Pepi, Weah. Reyna in the 55th minute for Weah.

Thoughts?

Nations League pool: Out: Tyler Adams out due to injury. Back: Gio Reyna, Oklahoma’s own Dike, Pepi, Zach Steffen, Miles Robinson, Joe Scally.

New and notable: Trusty. Tyler Booth who is killing it at Utrecht in Holland, and Zendjas.

Booth and Dike together are intriguing. A 3-5-1-1 with Dike doing the hold up and Booth stretching and playmaking for the crashers has possibilities.

But we will probably see Robinson, Ream, Robinson, Dest; Musah, McKinnie, Cardoso; Pulisic, Pepi, Weah. Reyna in the 55th minute for Weah.

Thoughts?
I liked the call ups. Was surprised to see Miles Robinson. His recovery must have gone extremely well to be back this soon. I like seeing Zendejas and Dike in the mix. I still think Turner is the call at GK. His form has been exceptional when he gets time at Arsenal. He's kept mainly clean sheets with the one blemish being a blowout at the hands of City in one of the domestic cups in England (can't remember if it was FA Cup or Carabao). Arsenal probably goofed yesterday by starting Ramsdale yesterday in their Europa League match vs Sporting yesterday (side note my son picked up a Sporting jersey in the most Portuguese of Portuguese shops in my very Portuguese hometown. Shopkeeper was a little surprised since most people here are Benfica fans). The goal from Sporting was from 55yds out as Ramsdale got caught napping.

I can't imagine our Nations league group is too daunting so we will probably see lots of mixed lineups.

I liked the call ups. Was surprised to see Miles Robinson. His recovery must have gone extremely well to be back this soon. I like seeing Zendejas and Dike in the mix. I still think Turner is the call at GK. His form has been exceptional when he gets time at Arsenal. He's kept mainly clean sheets with the one blemish being a blowout at the hands of City in one of the domestic cups in England (can't remember if it was FA Cup or Carabao). Arsenal probably goofed yesterday by starting Ramsdale yesterday in their Europa League match vs Sporting yesterday (side note my son picked up a Sporting jersey in the most Portuguese of Portuguese shops in my very Portuguese hometown. Shopkeeper was a little surprised since most people here are Benfica fans). The goal from Sporting was from 55yds out as Ramsdale got caught napping.

I can't imagine our Nations league group is too daunting so we will probably see lots of mixed lineups.
El Salvador and Grenada.

That goal is absurd. Worth finding if you haven’t seen it. Though it’s less about the goalkeeping as it is the Sporting player doing an excellent job of anticipating a lazy back pass in transition and capitalizing on it. Then a one in a million perfect launch at goal. Sadly, the image of Ramsdale jumping back into his own goal like a rag doll will likely define his career.

I liked the call ups
Me too! Sorry there's no Josh Sargent. Already there is a big difference between Beer?halter & this "interim" guy that I like. Gregg would have had well over a dozen 0 cap guys & MLS guys in this group. Speaking of Beer?halter, he's back in the running since the "investigation" of his 32 yr-old incident is over & he was cleared. There would be no Gio Reyna in the group if he was choosing.

Wouldn't be shocked (but saddened) if he was re-hired.

Sargent was selected and declined due to continued treatment and rest due to injury. He wants to be ready for Gold Cup this summer.

Reactions: quincy101
Sargent was selected and declined due to continued treatment and rest due to injury. He wants to be ready for Gold Cup this summer.
I can respect that. If he's not full fitness and he knows it why take up a spot that someone who can contribute can take.

Oh, this sucks bad. Tim Weah starts for Lille, goes the full 90, and in stoppage time gets hurt. I didn't see the hit, but they brought the stretcher out & carried him off with some kind of brace on his head & neck. The commentary was in Spanish so I didn't get any details.

OK, maybe he will be OK. The game was about 3 hours ago (which I taped) and he was seen celebrating a 2-0 win with teammates. Maybe he will make it across the pond for the MNT games later this month. Whew!

Last edited:
Oh, this sucks bad. Tim Weah starts for Lille, goes the full 90, and in stoppage time gets hurt. I didn't see the hit, but they brought the stretcher out & carried him off with some kind of brace on his head & neck. The commentary was in Spanish so I didn't get any details.

OK, maybe he will be OK. The game was about 3 hours ago (which I taped) and he was seen celebrating a 2-0 win with teammates. Maybe he will make it across the pond for the MNT games later this month. Whew!
I didn't see the hit but they frequently put neck braces on individuals who take a blow to the head. Maybe he tried to get across someone and ended up getting shouldered. If he has a concussion, hopefully he can get through the protocol without any complications but the US should not be messing around if he's iffy. I am glad it's not a leg injury.

In other USMNT news....Aaronson and McKennie start for Leeds in their 4-2 win over Wolves that now sees them out of the relegation zone but just barely. Leeds had a 3-0 lead before conceding 2 in tje 2nd half leaving a nervy 20 minutes for them. Wolves then picked up 2 red cards, 1 at the very end at about the same time Leeds scored a 4th to seal the deal. That game had something like 13 stoppage time minutes in the 2nd half. (Remarkably the LA Galaxy/Vancouver Whitecaps game had 10 minutes of stoppage time in their first half).

Pulisic also starts for Chelsea. He had some nice action and delivered a couple of really nice balls into the box. Chelsea and Everton end up drawing 2-2.

Weah out with concussion protocol, Mihailovic in.
That hardly seems like an even swap. Did USMNT work with MLS on not calling up any MLS players? No Acosta and no Morris who is lighting it up so far this season for Seattle. He looks lighter and in great shape too.

I’m surprised I haven’t seen any discussion of yesterday’s game. It was odd, while watching it I found myself saying “wow, I haven’t seen this many A team guys together except at the World Cup“ followed closely by “who is that?” Even though it wasn’t the best competition I liked what I saw. Trusty impressed me on both ends and I can see why everyone was excited by Zendejas. Our finishing seemed better but El Salvador will tell us more.

Reactions: quincy101
Jordan Morris had 4 goals for Seattle today. He's been on an absolute tear to start the season.

So what? Acosta & Morris won't get a smell in 3 years which is what it's all about.

US beats El Salvador 1-0. 1st half was lackluster with the "normal" lineup. Once the US made changes including pulling Zendejas who looked lost, things clicked better. Pepi scored and could have had 3-4.

Miles Robinson looked great alongside Ream in the back and Ro Jedi and Dest were their usual thorns in the sides with their pace and ability to add to the attack. Pulisic wasn't good in the 1st half but played better in the 2nd half. Booth played as well and looked really good on the right side. Fast and physical he was constantly in the right space and helped create severa chances.

Wonder if Hudson is auditioning for the job? I really like the lineups he’s put on the field the last couple of games. If Berhalter was still on the job we would have been seeing 7 or 8 MLS guys with a spattering of the guys we‘re seeing now. My feeling is you can’t grow as a team if you don’t play together. Pepi’s finishing seems a lot better than it used to, that goal tonight was excellent and in the past he was likely to hit it into the keeper or push it wide.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Wonder if Hudson is auditioning for the job? I really like the lineups he’s put on the field the last couple of games. If Berhalter was still on the job we would have been seeing 7 or 8 MLS guys with a spattering of the guys we‘re seeing now. My feeling is you can’t grow as a team if you don’t play together. Pepi’s finishing seems a lot better than it used to, that goal tonight was excellent and in the past he was likely to hit it into the keeper or push it wide.
Instead just 1 MLS guy

I don't think USMNT wanted to use any MLS guys this window because the season just started. I know Robinson was in there but I believe Robinson with a good MLS season and continued good showings in caps will be likely to move to a Euro club during the summer transfer window who may agree to let him finish out the MLS season in ATL and joining the new club in December (a la Matt Turner). I see some similarities in his game to Rudiger's.

the ball Pepi brought down at the far side of the box and the half volley shot the keeper saved was some amazing skill. It wasn't easy. Obviously the 2nd half of the game was better than the first. De La Fuente is under rated. His passing vision and the ability to connect his passes might be the best on the squad.

As for Hudson, I don't think he is a serious candidate for the job. All these national sides and clubs want a big name and big personality to lead the teams. Hudson may be a great tactician and even great from teaching the technical side but he's not the splash name which is unfortunate. I wonder how the players feel about him because he certainly sees the game well and has the ability to adjust things (from what I can tell).

It’s a hugely expanded field and it’s early. He’s coaching to coach in the World Cup, but not for us. It’s like hiring Yamamoto to build our navy. And there’s nobody minding our store to notice.

One theory is that he wants the technical director job and is coaching for that. Which would be a disaster but whatever.

By all accounts he has a bit of the “Everyone needs to get over themselves” attitude. And “don’t tell me I don’t know the American game because I do.” Both are pills the US needs to swallow. Everyday. For the next ten years. So if that’s true, he will be invaluable as a bridge coach. Having him totally dissect our team then have our biggest competitor in the group stage throw suitcases of money at him through channels to “consult” might not be worth it. Especially since we won’t have to compete to qualify and will be hugely distracted.

It’s a hugely expanded field and it’s early. He’s coaching to coach in the World Cup, but not for us. It’s like hiring Yamamoto to build our navy. And there’s nobody minding our store to notice.

One theory is that he wants the technical director job and is coaching for that. Which would be a disaster but whatever.

By all accounts he has a bit of the “Everyone needs to get over themselves” attitude. And “don’t tell me I don’t know the American game because I do.” Both are pills the US needs to swallow. Everyday. For the next ten years. So if that’s true, he will be invaluable as a bridge coach. Having him totally dissect our team then have our biggest competitor in the group stage throw suitcases of money at him through channels to “consult” might not be worth it. Especially since we won’t have to compete to qualify and will be hugely distracted.
So the US/Mexico/Canada don't have to qualify for the next WC? I know we are co-hosting with the other 2 but it seems weird to have 3 AQs as host vs the traditional 1. Does this mean we will start seeing more co-host applications? I know the women's WC is being hosted by Oceania (Australia and New Zealand...which is weird because Australia is part of the Asian Football Confederation now after hating to win the Oceania group to only have to play in a playoff against a CONCACAF or CONMEBOL side. I wonder if we would see something like an Austria/Switzerland co-host collaboration. Not sure either country could handle it alone but it would be achievable. Just no more World Cups in the middle east...the December schedule sucks

Pepi scored and could have had 3-4.
Yes, he could have. Which reminds me of his one year when he couldn't score for anyone. Congrats to him for the game winner, but......... If he continues to improve in Europe, he might have a shot for 2026. Meanwhile, Dike got few touches and didn't come close. De la Torre did not impress. That kid that subbed in at right back did not impress. All the relative newcomers have 3 years to improve including Zendejas who has little on the ball skill.

We missed Tyler Adams who is out for several more weeks with hamstring issue. Poor Leeds Utd.

The hamstring surgery ends Tyler Adams' season for Leeds & at least 2 months for the MNT. Sucks, big time. Meanwhile, Leeds is just what Arsenal needed after Man City whups Liverpool earlier today. Both score 4 goals & feast. And Arsenal retain their 8 point cushion at the top of the EPL with only 9 or 10 left to go which means no pt for Matt Turner except for injury.

Pulisic is ill but got about 10 minutes at the end for Chelsea in a loss. I think several of our guys came back sick from El Sal. CP needs a new team as Chelsea will most likely NOT make Europe next season, even the Europa League.

Last edited:
The hamstring surgery ends Tyler Adams' season for Leeds & at least 2 months for the MNT. Sucks, big time. Meanwhile, Leeds is just what Arsenal needed after Man City whups Liverpool earlier today. Both score 4 goals & feast. And Arsenal retain their 8 point cushion at the top of the EPL with only 9 or 10 left to go which means no pt for Matt Turner except for injury.

Pulisic is ill but got about 10 minutes at the end for Chelsea in a loss. I think several of our guys came back sick from El Sal. CP needs a new team as Chelsea will most likely NOT make Europe next season, even the Europa League.
Chelsea is done. They won't even make that third tier European competition. Chelsea's issue is the same on United, City, Arsenal, and Liverpool have...they buy a ton of players based on reputation and previous accomplishments with no regard for how they fit into the manager's style and game plan or how they fit with the players who are there. Arsenal had a 5-6 year stretch where this was an issue and finally Arteta figured it out and got the RIGHT players. United had a stretch like that plus the wrong managers and switching managers mid season all of a sudden you've got players who don't fit a style of play. Liverpool did the same thing this year and have struggled replacing Wijnaldum (who left last year) and Mane (left this year) and finding the right players to fit Klopp's style and complementing Salah, Van Dijk, TAA. City has gotten away with it more. Chelsea is now finding out it doesn't work that way and you can't just keep buying new players and firing managers hoping to get it right. Their spending spree 2 seasons ago to bring in Werner, Havertz, et. al. is catching up to them. It also doesn't help that Kanye has pretty much missed the entire season and is likely to leave during the summer window.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT