ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT Player Pool Discussion

What you are talking about has been the subject of several books and countless articles. Super clubs aren’t trying to win games, they are trying to maintain brand recognition. They don’t want players or even champions, they need stars. They are selling, and people all over the globe are buying, a cachet or perceived status by being associated with the club. They have to win enough to maintain that status, but they aren’t trying to win. Their goals go beyond the pitch and that influences what happens in matches.

As Herm Edwards once stated rather dramatically in a postgame presser "You play to win the game"

Of course that's debatable if you coach or play for the Jets

So I just saw a graphic that there are 4 USMNT pool players with 10+ goals in Europe this year. Haji Wright, Sargent, Pepi, and Malik Tillman (10 for Rangers). We know the 1st 3 are in consideration for USMNT cup play this summer but what about Tillman? I don't know much about him and haven't seen him play a ton (and Scottish PL soccer is probably worse than MLS TBH). Would he be a serviceable backup at a 9?

and Scottish PL soccer is probably worse than MLS TBH). Would he be a serviceable backup at a 9?
And the Turkish Super League is probably a little better than MLS, which is where Haji Wright plys his trade. He's got 12 or 13 in all comps. His team, Antalyaspor, is bottom half of the table. No chance for European futbol.

And Josh Sargent has a couple big problems. His team, Norwich City in the English Championship, has only a slight chance to make the 3-team playoff for promotion to the Prem. Plus, he's in a scoring slump although playing on the wing and not at his most effective position.

Tillman or Pepi at the 9? These two must really improve over the next 3 years.

And the Turkish Super League is probably a little better than MLS, which is where Haji Wright plys his trade. He's got 12 or 13 in all comps. His team, Antalyaspor, is bottom half of the table. No chance for European futbol.

And Josh Sargent has a couple big problems. His team, Norwich City in the English Championship, has only a slight chance to make the 3-team playoff for promotion to the Prem. Plus, he's in a scoring slump although playing on the wing and not at his most effective position.

Tillman or Pepi at the 9? These two must really improve over the next 3 years.
Pepi has been told he will not return from loan. Strong interest from Ajax and other elite Dutch clubs. If he goes that route abd stays in Holland, he could develop quickly.

Norwich has 9 games remaining in the Championship and sit 4 pts out of the playoff behind Blackburn Rovers and Millwall. In the Championship, the top 2 teams earn promotion to Premiere League. Teams 3-6 are in a 4 team playoff for the last spot. I think teams 3 and 4 are pretty secure as they sit at 67 pts (10 ahead of spots 7 and 8). Crazy thing is you need to go all the way to spot 13 before you think that there's no chance for that team to climb into the picture.

1 & 2 are pretty secure in their promotion spots as well (Burnley w/ 84 pts and Sheffield United with 73).

And if you want to see some interesting things, take a look at the relegation battle in the Championship. Wigan Athletic which is sort of like a sister club to FC Tulsa (this seems to be a pretty longstanding thing) is at the bottom along with Blackpool. They probably need 8 pts each to climb out and hope that Huddersfield Town and Cardiff City fall off a bunch. Huddersfield and Cardiff have both been in the Premiere League very recently

And if you want to see some interesting things, take a look at the relegation battle in the Championship
And the battle at the top for promotion is also interesting with some Yanks right in the middle of it. As Bla said, Norwich with Sargent has a shot at that 3rd place playoff. With the same points but lesser goal diff., West Brom and Daryl Dike are just behind. And at the top for promotion, Ethan Horvath's Luton Town is in 4th and has a shot for 2nd. So does Zach Steffen's Middlesbrough in 3rd. Again, these 2 are on the same points, but Midd. has a better goal differential.

So many Yanks playing in England & Europe at the highest levels. It's Fat City for the USA. These guys will be ready in 2026.

I’m not sure Dike has a future at the USMNT unless things don’t progress quickly. With Robinson out and Reyna at a central ten, Dike should have been the wheel house for hold up play. Instead he was a ghost or a decoy, with Scally staying home and CP coming back to manage the space. We just can’t have that. As much as want to believe Dike could be the answer.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I’m not sure Dike has a future at the USMNT unless things don’t progress quickly. With Robinson out and Reyna at a central ten, Dike should have been the wheel house for hold up play. Instead he was a ghost or a decoy, with Scally staying home and CP coming back to manage the space. We just can’t have that. As much as want to believe Dike could be the answer.
I think you're right on Dike. People get enamored with him because of his combination of size, speed, and strength and he just tries to overpower defenders near the 18. That's not going to work against the best CBs in the world who are all as big and fast and strong as Dike. That's why international 9s have a bit more dynamic quality to their games, especially their movement off the ball and sometimes that movement is designed to drag a defender out of a space. Dike also doesn't seem to be great in tight spaces, at least not at the same level as I've seen Pepi and Haji Wright. Sargent does a lot of things well and he's more versatile than just being a hold up 9 if you have to make adjustments to your front...and Sargent is also a really good defender as forwards go.

Not so fast my friend..... In a typically bizarre move by Chelsea, Frankie Lampard is rehired as manager, and now it might be premature for experts to consider C. Pulisic gone at Chelsea.

Not so fast my friend..... In a typically bizarre move by Chelsea, Frankie Lampard is rehired as manager, and now it might be premature for experts to consider C. Pulisic gone at Chelsea.
Someone posted Pulisic's stats under Lampard, 25 games, 9 G 4 A. I think most teams would take that.

I also find it hilarious that these teams hire and fire managers like they're going out of style thinking if they hire a manager that he's going to get more out of the same group of players than the previous guy did. Leeds did the same thing when they sacked their highly liked manager (and who had been pretty darn successful with them) and hire Jesse Marsch with no real moves to get players that might have made an impact or strengthened some of their weak points. It's the definition of insanity...doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Now I will say, Tuchel and Potter were stubborn SOBs and continued to use the same players over and over and not getting any results. Potter only post-WC started to use Pulisic more but he stopped using Mason Mount. Both Tuchel and Potter never really defined Mount's or Pulisic's role so there was no consistency in their games. It's crazy.

Reactions: quincy101
Someone posted Pulisic's stats under Lampard, 25 games, 9 G 4 A. I think most teams would take that.
Under Frankie, it was CP, IMO, that had much to do with Chelsea not only finishing 4th for Europe on the last day of the season, but kick starting Chelsea's run to being Euro champs with his away goal & assist in both legs of the semi finals vs Real Madrid. Although Tommy Tuchel became coach for the latter part of the season and the Ch Lg final run, CP's 5 goals & 4 assists after the Covid break was huge for Chelsea. How soon they forget.

Under Frankie, it was CP, IMO, that had much to do with Chelsea not only finishing 4th for Europe on the last day of the season, but kick starting Chelsea's run to being Euro champs with his away goal & assist in both legs of the semi finals vs Real Madrid. Although Tommy Tuchel became coach for the latter part of the season and the Ch Lg final run, CP's 5 goals & 4 assists after the Covid break was huge for Chelsea. How soon they forget.
I wonder if there are some managers, like Tuchel, who just don't think American players can play and in order to prove their point, don't put them in position to succeed

Norwich City continues to sink in the Championship table as they get whacked 5-1 yesterday by Middlesbrough. The only goal from Norwich was scored by Carrot-Top to ruin MNT teammate Zach Steffen's shut out. Midd. is getting ever closer to 2nd & the auto bid for EPL promotion. Steffen also saved 2 big chances by Sargent. And so is Ethan Horvath's Luton Town with a better chance for 2nd. Steffen & Horvath are getting excellent experience in the Championship as both are starting regularly.

Poor Frankie Lampard as "interim" coach at Chelsea is 0-3 since taking over. Today, CP gets a start & did not distinguish himself before getting yanked early in the 2nd half.(although playing on the right side). And one assumes Lampard will again get the sack at the end of this miserable season. Chelsea has spent close to 3/4's of a billion $US on players in the past 1 & 1/2 yrs. that haven't done squat.

And Gio Reyna comes off the bench for Dortmund with about 12 minutes left & scores in the 3rd minute of stoppage time. Unfortunately, Stuttgart scores to tie it up again with 30 seconds to go. Gio's game winner down the drain.

Last edited:
Norwich City continues to sink in the Championship table as they get whacked 5-1 yesterday by Middlesbrough. The only goal from Norwich was scored by Carrot-Top to ruin MNT teammate Zach Steffen's shut out. Midd. is getting ever closer to 2nd & the auto bid for EPL promotion. Steffen also saved 2 big chances by Sargent. And so is Ethan Horvath's Luton Town with a better chance for 2nd. Steffen & Horvath are getting excellent experience in the Championship as both are starting regularly.

Poor Frankie Lampard as "interim" coach at Chelsea is 0-3 since taking over. Today, CP gets a start & did not distinguish himself before getting yanked early in the 2nd half.(although playing on the right side). And one assumes Lampard will again get the sack at the end of this miserable season. Chelsea has spent close to 3/4's of a billion $US on players in the past 1 & 1/2 yrs. that haven't done squat.

And Gio Reyna comes off the bench for Dortmund with about 12 minutes left & scores in the 3rd minute of stoppage time. Unfortunately, Stuttgart scores to tie it up again with 30 seconds to go. Gio's game winner down the drain.
Chelsea is a disaster right now....and it's not Lampard's fault. It's not Pulisic's fault. There are so many issues with chemistry on the team right now, they need to ID 5-6 players they really want to keep and build around and then complete the roster with complementary players. This reminds me of the early 80s Red Sox where the chemistry was just bad and the saying was "25 guys, 25 cabs"

As for Dortmund...when does the manager of that team start to understand that every time Reyna is on the field, he makes something happen. It's been pretty consistent too. He comes on the field, creates chances for himself or his teammates.

Dike is hurt again. My guess is he's going to be back in MLS sooner

I watched the friendly with Mexico tonight and now I’m wondering why. I don’t follow Mexico soccer so I don’t know if that was the B team or not but I think we fielded our C- team. Exactly one guy on that field that will be on the field in serious competition. That was some mediocre football.

I watched the friendly with Mexico tonight and now I’m wondering why. I don’t follow Mexico soccer so I don’t know if that was the B team or not but I think we fielded our C- team. Exactly one guy on that field that will be on the field in serious competition. That was some mediocre football.
Mexico had some front line players in there like Antuna. The US fielded an MLS based team plus Sergino Dest.

Mexico's lone goal came after a horrific turnover by Long (who was brutal in this game). The US goal came on a US counter led by Dest who basically walked through most of the Mexican team before dumping the ball to Sonora who played a brilliant through ball to Jordan Morris who then followed with a cheeky outside of the right foot curling pass into the box where Ferreira was able to tap it past the Mexican GK.

I watched most of the 2nd half. Jordan Morris had a great game and continued his white hot form. Sonora came on about midway 2nd half and this kid has the goods. His game reminds me a lot of Reyna's, sees the field exceptionally well and just picks out passes a kid his age shouldn't be attempting.

while Long was horrible I put that turnover on Acosta. With that long backward pass across the field to a well marked Long who had no cover behind him it was a given that Mexico would end up with the ball.

while Long was horrible I put that turnover on Acosta. With that long backward pass across the field to a well marked Long who had no cover behind him it was a given that Mexico would end up with the ball.
Fair enough. The system, and I'm sure Hudson hasn't switched completely out of Berhalter's system, encourages going backward as a safer, simpler play vs turning and playing a riskier pass forward in the attack. The US goes backward way too much because it's easy and frequently misses out on chances to go forward because of it. And then goals like last night happen.

I think that is why Sonora impressed me last night is he always turned to survey what attack options were available vs the auto pass backwards just because. And Sonora picked out some beauts in terms of through balls or cheeky passes in tight space. You can tell he's got tremendous field vision.

Technical Director hired. Who will hire next coach. The successful candidate was unsuccessful at staying up in the EPL and unsuccessful at hiring Jesse Marsch. But he ticks a lot of boxes that USSF wannabes think they need. Like a track record of integrating the women’s game into management structure and a uniform youth development policy. You know the type of things CP, Reyna, and the next young generation of prima donnas care about.

If you want to celebrate this hire, go to Baskin Robins and order some Rocky Road.

Technical Director hired. Who will hire next coach. The successful candidate was unsuccessful at staying up in the EPL and unsuccessful at hiring Jesse Marsch. But he ticks a lot of boxes that USSF wannabes think they need. Like a track record of integrating the women’s game into management structure and a uniform youth development policy. You know the type of things CP, Reyna, and the next young generation of prima donnas care about.

If you want to celebrate this hire, go to Baskin Robins and order some Rocky Road.
You talking about Stuart Crocker? Why would the USSF hire a guy who has basically run Southampton into the ground and will end up being relegated at the end of this season

You talking about Stuart Crocker? Why would the USSF hire a guy who has basically run Southampton into the ground and will end up being relegated at the end of this season
Particularly when Thierry Henri has expressed interest in the job & is available. Say what you will about Henri and his coaching background. But this guy knows talent when he sees it, unlike Beer?halter who took 3 years to figure out who to start in the WC.

Wrong job, wrong guy. Sorry!

Last edited:
unlike Beer?halter who took 3 years to figure out who to start in the WC.
Yeah, the fact that guys like Ream, CCV and Haji weren't really involved in any of the WCQs leading in and then they're brought in last minute for the WC was not a good process IMO. Did those guys deserve to be part of the squad based on form? Absolutely but why weren't they involved in the lead up so they could build cohesion and chemistry with the squad? And Ream was one of the best players on the field for the US. Just a wasted opportunity.

So I watched the New England vs FC Cincinnati game on Saturday. 1-1 draw. I didn't realize how freaking big Brandon Vazquez is. He's giant. But after watching the game, I don't think he's a legit candidate for USMNT at the WC level (he'll probably get some Gold Cup or Nation's League time). To me, he's too slow and takes too much time on the ball. Also saw FC Dallas play last night vs Minnesota, which was a snoozer of a match. Ferreira was typical Ferreira...good movement and he just flubbed his opportunities.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Big angry and just fast enough is what you need to win in Honduras and Costa Rica.

Agree he doesn’t pass the eye test. Neither did a partially crippled Conor Casey. But his two goals in Honduras were the only reason we went to the 2010 World Cup.

So I watched the New England vs FC Cincinnati game on Saturday. 1-1 draw. I didn't realize how freaking big Brandon Vazquez is. He's giant. But after watching the game, I don't think he's a legit candidate for USMNT at the WC level (he'll probably get some Gold Cup or Nation's League time). To me, he's too slow and takes too much time on the ball. Also saw FC Dallas play last night vs Minnesota, which was a snoozer of a match. Ferreira was typical Ferreira...good movement and he just flubbed his opportunities.
Playing Ferreira in the midfield at the kinda sorta 10 position last match was insane.

Playing Ferreira in the midfield at the kinda sorta 10 position last match was insane.
Last night it looked like they moved him all over the place. The 9, the 10 at times, and he was even way out on the left for part of the match (he looked awful out there to be honest, sort of like he didn't know what he should be doing out there).

Last night it looked like they moved him all over the place. The 9, the 10 at times, and he was even way out on the left for part of the match (he looked awful out there to be honest, sort of like he didn't know what he should be doing out there).
It’s getting trendy to hybrid players and iso parts of the field. It isn’t his game.

It’s getting trendy to hybrid players and iso parts of the field. It isn’t his game.
Agreed. He's not that type. His best effectiveness is finding small spaces between the backline and making the right move. He's actually pretty effective with Pulisic because I feel like Pulisic can deliver those exquisite through balls with just the right weight. Ferreira's biggest problem is just being that deadly, clinical finisher. But everyone can't be Ronaldo or Haaland

Ream extended his arm down to break his fall and landed hard on his hand ( thus his arm). Fulham could have used him today as a PK from Mo Salah won it for Liverpool, 1-0.

Ream extended his arm down to break his fall and landed hard on his hand ( thus his arm). Fulham could have used him today as a PK from Mo Salah won it for Liverpool, 1-0.
That was a soft pen call IMO. The contact was minimal and Nunez really sold it. Not sure what the hell the Fulham defender was as he seemed to tune out everything around him about the pressure coming and was fixed downfield looking for a long ball target. Moments like that are frustrating for coaches and goalkeepers.

Granted, LFC really should have put at least 2 more chances away and just missed putting the ball on target. Allison only had 2 saves I would label as tough, and one was actually spectacular. LFC has been playing much better the last 2 months...they still need to figure out what they're going to do with Trent b/c they can't leave him in the back. Yesterday, LFC looked almost like they were playing 3 in the back with TAA in a modified 6/8 hybrid role and it was pretty effective. I think in the last 20 minutes they dropped him back but he was all over the field and more involved in the attack and distribution more centrally rather than just outside on the right.

Luton Town & Ethan Horvath beat Sunderland today in their 2nd leg of that 4-team playoff for promotion to the EPL. They're in the final at Wembley Stadium in London late this month. If Zach Steffen and Middlesbrough take care of business Wednesday, they will be Luton's opponent in the final.

How cool would that be? The winner starts next season in the Prem & the loser is the favorite to get promoted next season. These two have been in goal for 40 to 45 games in the English Championship which is just a couple notches below the Premier League in competition. Horvath, for example, has 21 shutouts.

Meanwhile, Matt Turner rides the pine during Arsenal's fight for a League championship with Man City. Unfortunately for Arsenal and Turner, Manchester City might be the best club team on the planet.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
Luton Town & Ethan Horvath beat Sunderland today in their 2nd leg of that 4-team playoff for promotion to the EPL. They're in the final at Wembley Stadium in London late this month. If Zach Steffen and Middlesbrough take care of business Wednesday, they will be Luton's opponent in the final.

How cool would that be? The winner starts next season in the Prem & the loser is the favorite to get promoted next season. These two have been in goal for 40 to 45 games in the English Championship which is just a couple notches below the Premier League in competition. Horvath, for example, has 21 shutouts.

Meanwhile, Matt Turner rides the pine during Arsenal's fight for a League championship with Man City. Unfortunately for Arsenal and Turner, Manchester City might be the best club team on the planet.
Turner is being screwed over. Ramsdale is as much a part of the issue for Arsenal as is anyone else right now. He is constantly making poor decisions and reads in these big games.

In BIGGER news than either Steffen or Horvath getting promoted to EPL next season, Folarin Balogun is officially a member of the USMNT and the favorite to take over the #9 role on the senior team. He is 21 years old and FIFA approved his 1 time switch from England to US the other day. Balogun plays for Reims in Ligue 1 (on loan from Arsenal). To date he has scored 19 goals in France's top division (34 appearances). This is tied for 5th in Ligue 1, and he is ahead of Messi, Neymar, & Alexis Sanchez. In front of him are Mbappe, Alexandre Lacazette, and Jonathon David. We're getting a pretty good one here and I expect to see him used in Gold Cup and Nations League this summer. This should relieve some of the pressure off of Pulisic allowing him to be more creative.

We shall see. It’s good news for Gio Reyna and Tim Weah.

We don’t have anyone who can control the ball facing goal and create chances while inside the box. This kid has that ability - at least in the lower divisions. We’ve got a few good athletes who can run at goal and score facing forward, but nobody that can control a ball, create a chance and score from inside 18. We really haven’t had that since McBride though Dempsey tried to be that player and most US fans didn’t know better.

That said, he does a lot of outside shoulder runs versus center backs, just looking at his highlights. And we don’t really have anyone that can service that and that’s one of the reasons we brought in Berhalter to build up in a different way wide.

If they can retool the tactics and lineup and get him service, we could become dangerous. But then you question the wisdom of rearranging the team for a merc and how guys like Pulisic and McKinney who have been around since they were teenagers handle that.

He had a hat trick the other day and scored against PSG. That’s an upgrade from Ferreira and Sargent. And more reliable, perhaps, than a poacher like Pepi, but he’s young and there’s a reason why he was essentially let go by the EPL and isn’t in England’s plans.

Let’s hope he tidies up nicely. It’s needed.

We shall see. It’s good news for Gio Reyna and Tim Weah.

We don’t have anyone who can control the ball facing goal and create chances while inside the box. This kid has that ability - at least in the lower divisions. We’ve got a few good athletes who can run at goal and score facing forward, but nobody that can control a ball, create a chance and score from inside 18. We really haven’t had that since McBride though Dempsey tried to be that player and most US fans didn’t know better.

That said, he does a lot of outside shoulder runs versus center backs, just looking at his highlights. And we don’t really have anyone that can service that and that’s one of the reasons we brought in Berhalter to build up in a different way wide.

If they can retool the tactics and lineup and get him service, we could become dangerous. But then you question the wisdom of rearranging the team for a merc and how guys like Pulisic and McKinney who have been around since they were teenagers handle that.

He had a hat trick the other day and scored against PSG. That’s an upgrade from Ferreira and Sargent. And more reliable, perhaps, than a poacher like Pepi, but he’s young and there’s a reason why he was essentially let go by the EPL and isn’t in England’s plans.

Let’s hope he tidies up nicely. It’s needed.
My son is sold on him and this being a great thing for the USMNT. He knows way more about players, their talent and tendencies, and fits with specific clubs than I do. And he's still young. The fact he's done what he's done in France's top division is still pretty impressive. It's not EPL but it's still higher than MLS or a lot of other leagues and one of the top 5 domestic leagues in the world. (England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France). My guess is Arsenal entertains permanent transfer offers for him at about a $30-40M transfer fee

Middlesbrough & Zach Steffen got beat for that final vs Luton & Horvath. Midd. scored plenty of goals except in the 2 most important matches in the season. Zero goals in both legs of the semi final. Their opponent scored once vs Steffen but that's all it took. Final is May 27 & I'm picking Luton to get promoted to the Prem.

I saw a report that Jesse Marsch is the leader in the clubhouse with regards to being named the next USMNT coach. Report said he would take over after the Gold Cup concluded this summer.

Reactions: 918Golden
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT