ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa vs Houston 7 years ago today

jesterondirt

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Sep 28, 2006
Black Friday game from 2011 popped up in my memories on facebook.

HOPNdGv.jpg

From the time we moved to C-USA until we went to the AAC it was either Tulsa or Houston as the west division winners.

I Remember the 100 point game.
Coach Dobbs was asked after the game, what was the turning point.
He answered, when we walked onto the field

Houston was ranked in the top 10 that year and Keenum was playing like a Heisman winner.

I was there. It was the fall that my son committed to TU. We had a bunch of family in town for Thanksgiving and it was their first chance to see TU. It was a really good day other than the outcome. My brother in law and I sat on the Houston side (we had to split up to get enough tickets) a few rows behind the bench. Keenum got lit up in the first half and was for sure concussed. He basically stuck smelling salts up his nose to stay with it. Houston team Dr. spent a few minutes looking at him. You could tell he knew Keenum wasn't OK but he still let him play. He definitely would not have played any more that day and maybe not even the next game by today's standards.

I think we had a lot of starters out due to injuries.

Ahhh, we were poisoned according to lore, although officially the entire team "caught the flu", the day after they all ate the same food in Houston :rolleyes:

It came a year after we knocked them out of the top 10 (maybe the polls? I don't know if it was top 10 or 20 then) and a bowl when bowl games meant something.

One of the main reasons of the multitude that I hate Houston. When ever we play them I pray we never take our foot off the gas.

I was there. It was the fall that my son committed to TU. We had a bunch of family in town for Thanksgiving and it was their first chance to see TU. It was a really good day other than the outcome. My brother in law and I sat on the Houston side (we had to split up to get enough tickets) a few rows behind the bench. Keenum got lit up in the first half and was for sure concussed. He basically stuck smelling salts up his nose to stay with it. Houston team Dr. spent a few minutes looking at him. You could tell he knew Keenum wasn't OK but he still let him play. He definitely would not have played any more that day and maybe not even the next game by today's standards.

I hate Houston.

That was a gorgeous day, took some casuals who I had to explain the history of the series to. They left hating Houston too.

It's easy to hate the Coogs, it's natural as breathing. Especially when they ruin a pretty day like that.

Houston was ranked in the top 10 that year and Keenum was playing like a Heisman winner.
Both teams were 7-0 going into that game with a winner take all on the line for the division title. If I remember correctly, TU lost 4 games that season all to teams in the top 10 at the time the games were played.

There were a couple of key plays in that game that stood out...the 1st was a Houston fumble (non-fumble) in their own endzone on the little tap pass that is considered a forward pass. The 2nd was a fumble by a TU WR (can't even remember who it was now but he was a big play guy) who ended up having the ball ripped out after dragging 3-4 Houston players for 4-5 extra yards. It was back and forth until that moment and Houston seized the momentum and put us away after that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT